ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning D, dreary ole day here with lots of rain heading our way!!!

We have been married for 23 years today! This lady saved my life!!!! I never had anything before her, she turned my life around and straightened me out. I say this all the time when someone makes a comment about her, I don't deserve her, but GOD gave her to me and I am more than thankful HE did!!!! She has been a GREAT Wife, mother and grandmother!!!! I'll say this again, not many ladies would come into someone that has three children, but she did with an open heart! I ask GOD to please send me someone that would love my children as much as me, still think she loves them and the grandchildren more!!!!

We are heading to Patti's here in a little while with our friends. Strange connection with our friends, here are some of the things with us. Our friends and us were married in the same year 98, Mrs. M and her friend has the same birthday and his birthday is on our anniversary, didn't know ant of this before we met them. One more thing, please keep our friend in your prayers, she has a form of ALS and it is had to watch her health over the years. I thought at one time she did have it, then she called me on day and told me.

I hope the D, has a great dat and prayers for the D!!!!!
Congratulations Cord. I’m the luckiest man on earth In that I absolutely got lucky the first time. And luck is all it was because I was pretty much an idiotic 22 year old. Been together almost 39 years now, and I couldn’t be happier (she might feel different).

Good morning D, dreary ole day here with lots of rain heading our way!!!

We have been married for 23 years today! This lady saved my life!!!! I never had anything before her, she turned my life around and straightened me out. I say this all the time when someone makes a comment about her, I don't deserve her, but GOD gave her to me and I am more than thankful HE did!!!! She has been a GREAT Wife, mother and grandmother!!!! I'll say this again, not many ladies would come into someone that has three children, but she did with an open heart! I ask GOD to please send me someone that would love my children as much as me, still think she loves them and the grandchildren more!!!!

We are heading to Patti's here in a little while with our friends. Strange connection with our friends, here are some of the things with us. Our friends and us were married in the same year 98, Mrs. M and her friend has the same birthday and his birthday is on our anniversary, didn't know ant of this before we met them. One more thing, please keep our friend in your prayers, she has a form of AL
S and it is had to watch her health over the years. I thought at one time she did have it, then she called me on day and told me.

I hope the D, has a great dat and prayers for the D!!!!!

stock-vector-happy-rd-anniversary-with-fireworks-and-star-on-blue-background-greeting-card-banner-poster-575672107.jpg

I got home yesterday evening from the hospital. Surgeon says that I was pretty bad. The procedure went well, and I can get up and walk with no problems, but I have a post-operative issue. Seems that even though the surgery went as planned, The root nerve became aggravated and swollen. The end result is the worst sciatica that I have ever had, in both legs. Hopefully, as the swelling goes down, it will subside. Surgeon said it may take up to 5 days for that to happen, so as badly as I hate it, I have been taking some pain medication. It was the only way I could get any sleep. As far as the rest of it, it's been great.
Glad to see you back Ben. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Morning Legionnaires!

Watching the latest Bass Master tournament that was fished on the Tennessee river in Knoxville. One guy Friday hooked into a line in the water and pulled up a medium diver bait similar to the one he was using at the time but a different color so, just for the heck of it he took his off tied that one on and commenced to catching his limit within minutes of tying it on. Luck or destiny?

Last edited:
Morning folks. It is a very warm 65.5°F and we are up to 1.35 inches of rain yesterday and today.

The Cats can't do it this year. I once had some hope of making a good run in the SEC Tourney and actually get into the NCAA; those hopes were shattered yesterday. This team is missing some important parts.

You all have a wonderful Sunday. Tomorrow begins a new month.

Good morning D-League.

I know there are some people who were in the Middle East back during Desert Storm on this board. I thought I'd share the Front Page from exactly 30 years ago today of the paper where I worked - the Washington TImes..

It was a very controversial front page. We were criticized for acting as cheerleaders for the military and the Bush administration.

I thought it was brilliant. For the first time since VJ day, America had taken on a major overseas war and ended it decisively in victory. It was a huge emotional release for the country and this headline reflected that.

A footnote: Outside the briefing room of the Pentagon where all the press events have occurred over the years is a string of framed newspapers commemorating major moments for the military back to WW1. This front page is still in that line-up..

Last edited:
A detail from the above front page. I was with a battalion of the Big Red One that day that had lit up a Republican Guard tank column the night before. When I got word through Col. Lon Maggart, who was a brigade commander, that the cease fire was coming, I got in a jeep Cherokee with two Army PAO guys and drove -- past the infamous Highway of Death -- into Kuwait City where I hooked up with some reporter buddies.

I was with the 5/18th FA out of FT. Sill OK and we were there in support of 7th Army and the 18th Airborne Corps. Our battalion fired over 2000 8" howitzer rounds (208lbs each) onto the Republican Guard Force before the tanks engaged them. I sat on the deck of my howitzer after we had finished firing and watched the nighttime battle between American tanks and the Iraqi Republican Guard. Could not see much as we were a good ways away but did see the tracer and other incendiary going in to the Iraqi forces with very little return fire. We had pounded them for a couple of days as well as other artillery units and had basically taken the fight out of them. Below was us rolling through Iraq towards our first firing position.

Good morning D-League.

I know there are some people who were in the Middle East back during Desert Storm on this board. I thought I'd share the Front Page from exactly 30 years ago today of the paper where I worked - the Washington TImes..

It was a very controversial front page. We were criticized for acting as cheerleaders for the military and the Bush administration.

I thought it was brilliant. For the first time since VJ day, America had taken on a major overseas war and ended it decisively in victory. It was a huge emotional release for the country and this headline reflected that.

A footnote: Outside the briefing room of the Pentagon where all the press events have occurred over the years is a string of framed newspapers commemorating major moments for the military back to WW1. This front page is still in that line-up..
Good morning. 30 years ago today, indeed. I'd almost completely forgotten about this anniversary. TF 1-41 IN. Seems like I stayed awake constantly back then.

Good morning. 30 years ago today, indeed. I'd almost completely forgotten about this anniversary. TF 1-41 IN. Seems like I stayed awake constantly back then.
Austin, I find it crazy how little attention this anniversary is getting in the media. I didn’t get out of Saudi until almost April. But you could still feel the euphoria and relief back in the states when I got back.

Ben, we will continue to lift you up in our prayers. It is difficult to explain to someone the degree of pain your back can give you unless they have experienced it.

A year ago I could not walk more than a few steps and had to have support to do that. The nerve damage and pain was unbearable. Today I prepared my yard for about 3 truck loads of mulch we will put down Monday. I weeded around and fertilized 32 palm trees and four citrus trees this week. This is something I doubted I would ever do again a year ago. Now it is not easy and my bones hurt and I take my time but at least I am moving. I am only 9 months post op and when I had surgery the doctor said it would be a minimum 12 month recovery and some people take two years .

In a week or two I expect things to clear up for you and you can get going on the rehab and back on the golf course. Meanwhile the D League will continue our prayers and trust God.
I understand your apprehension over pain meds.....I was in a pain clinic for 9yrs........morphine, fentanyl among many others.....I asked to be weaned off of the meds.......they said no.........I threw the prescriptions away and weaned myself off of the narcotics and other medications.....in 18 days.....I have memory pain from a few procedures.....I hurt like hell but self medicate with alcohol and THC........probably not a good combination but I know for sure they was killing me with a damn Fentanyl patch and morphine.......I don't like doctors....every damn one of them....are practicing.....

Austin, I find it crazy how little attention this anniversary is getting in the media. I didn’t get out of Saudi until almost April. But you could still feel the euphoria and relief back in the states when I got back.
I recall my ex-wife described patriotic, pro-America/US forces rallies held in Knoxville back then. She sent newspaper clippings regarding the support. I returned twice to the US later that year, July and December. Many folks I never met were happy to buy me beer.

I recall my ex-wife described patriotic, pro-America/US forces rallies held in Knoxville back then. She sent newspaper clippings regarding the support. I returned twice to the US later that year, July and December. Many folks I never met were happy to buy me beer.
You hear stories about how guys returning home from Viet Nam were treated poorly, but here's what I remember from it. We were poor and mom and dad both had to work to pay the bills, so I didn't want them to miss work, plus I thought I'd surprise them. The airport was about 10 miles from our home (pretty small town, but we did have an airport). I decided to walk home. I had only gotten less than a half mile from the airport with my duffle bag slung over my shoulder when this older guy pulled off the side of the road and offered a ride. I said, "That's ok, I'll walk." He said, "It's the least I can do for a soldier." So I climbed in and he went out of his way to take me home.

You hear stories about how guys returning home from Viet Nam were treated poorly, but here's what I remember from it. We were poor and mom and dad both had to work to pay the bills, so I didn't want them to miss work, plus I thought I'd surprise them. The airport was about 10 miles from our home (pretty small town, but we did have an airport). I decided to walk home. I had only gotten less than a half mile from the airport with my duffle bag slung over my shoulder when this older guy pulled off the side of the road and offered a ride. I said, "That's ok, I'll walk." He said, "It's the least I can do for a soldier." So I climbed in and he went out of his way to take me home.
My best friend, the Cape Cod guy with the big house and boat, came back from Viet Nam through Seattle. Back in those days they were told to wear their uniforms. So he had to walk down a life of hippies spiting on them. He never forgot.

My best friend, the Cape Cod guy with the big house and boat, came back from Viet Nam through Seattle. Back in those days they were told to wear their uniforms. So he had to walk down a life of hippies spiting on them. He never forgot.
I came back through Seattle, but basically never left the base. Got processed asap and was gone. I know some had a hard time, so I guess I was fortunate.

I've often wondered about those hippies and what their true feelings were. It was a complicated time. Were they overwhelmed by the feeling that what we were doing was wrong or were they just scared to go and did things like spitting on your friend to cover their own self loathing over their fear? I don't know. At the time, there was a popular song called "I feel like I'm fixing to die rag". I don't know what was right politically to this day, but I did know lots of guys were going and I was staying at home in college. I couldn't square that with my conscious, so I dropped out of school and volunteered. In that song were words like "Come on moms and dads, be the first one on your block to have your boy come home in a box." No mom or dad was going to ever look me in the eye and say my boy died and you didn't do your part.

My first night in country we landed at Cam Ranh Bay. It was about 9 o'clock at night and you could see and hear the rockets going off. They herded us into a large Quonset hut type building and told us to make ourselves comfortable for the night. We climbed up in the bleachers and waited. As the night went on, the building filled up with guys. You could see places on the building were it had been repaired from previous rocket strikes. The rocket fire went on every couple of minutes all night long. After awhile, you didn't even pay attention to it. I reckon Charlie was trying to put fear and doubt in to the new people's minds. Eventually daylight came, the rockets stopped, and they sent us off to catch planes or choppers to our new duty stations.

I've often wondered about those hippies and what their true feelings were. It was a complicated time. Were they overwhelmed by the feeling that what we were doing was wrong or were they just scared to go and did things like spitting on your friend to cover their own self loathing over their fear? I don't know. At the time, there was a popular song called "I feel like I'm fixing to die rag". I don't know what was right politically to this day, but I did know lots of guys were going and I was staying at home in college. I couldn't square that with my conscious, so I dropped out of school and volunteered. In that song were words like "Come on moms and dads, be the first one on your block to have your boy come home in a box." No mom or dad was going to ever look me in the eye and say my boy died and you didn't do your part.

My first night in country we landed at Cam Ranh Bay. It was about 9 o'clock at night and you could see and hear the rockets going off. They herded us into a large Quonset hut type building and told us to make ourselves comfortable for the night. We climbed up in the bleachers and waited. As the night went on, the building filled up with guys. You could see places on the building were it had been repaired from previous rocket strikes. The rocket fire went on every couple of minutes all night long. After awhile, you didn't even pay attention to it. I reckon Charlie was trying to put fear and doubt in to the new people's minds. Eventually daylight came, the rockets stopped, and they sent us off to catch planes or choppers to our new duty stations.
Great post Berniecarbo. Thanks for your service.

My cousin, the closest thing that I have to a brother, spent two weeks on the demilitarized zone with green berets. He still has nightmares. He was there trying to decipher the electronic radiation involved with tracking our planes. He always says that during those two weeks you could not drive a small nail up his butt with a sledge hammer!

Our generation paid a huge price for few gains. I lost some really good friends. They were patriots who answered the call and paid the ultimate price. I just wonder what gains came to us, other than we ruined the USSR's economics and finally toppled the regime. RIP to those brave souls.

Great post Berniecarbo. Thanks for your service.

My cousin, the closest thing that I have to a brother, spent two weeks on the demilitarized zone with green berets. He still has nightmares. He was there trying to decipher the electronic radiation involved with tracking our planes. He always says that during those two weeks you could not drive a small nail up his butt with a sledge hammer!

Our generation paid a huge price for few gains. I lost some really good friends. They were patriots who answered the call and paid the ultimate price. I just wonder what gains came to us, other than we ruined the USSR's economics and finally toppled the regime. RIP to those brave souls.
I was certainly no Green Beret, but I saw/participated in things that left nightmares. I spent time at numerous duty stations, but spent most of my time pulling security duty at a small Coast Guard station at Tan My (about half way between Hue and the DMZ). This was before GPS, so we needed a radar station to guide planes (mostly B-52's for bomb runs). It was state of the art at the time. We pulled security for them since we benefited from their radar. Best military food I ever had. The CG guys running the equipment knew their stuff. They were getting unbelievable bonuses for re-upping. As a cop, they offered me 400 bucks. Thanks, but no thanks. I saw something the other day that said the station was protected by "elite security forces". We did have access to more weaponry than most, but whatever PR firm that wrote that must have had a little to much to drink.

True feelings? Hillary C., Nancy P., Chuck S., B. Schriff, Bill C., Ted K., John K. (Who served in Vietnam), yadda, yadda, yadda,.... Those are the hippies that hated the American Soldier and to this day still show their true feelings...

Last edited:
I got home yesterday evening from the hospital. Surgeon says that I was pretty bad. The procedure went well, and I can get up and walk with no problems, but I have a post-operative issue. Seems that even though the surgery went as planned, The root nerve became aggravated and swollen. The end result is the worst sciatica that I have ever had, in both legs. Hopefully, as the swelling goes down, it will subside. Surgeon said it may take up to 5 days for that to happen, so as badly as I hate it, I have been taking some pain medication. It was the only way I could get any sleep. As far as the rest of it, it's been great.
Glad you are back Ben, still praying for you!!!

Good afternoon D, warm but raining, I think we have had close to 2" of rain and supposed to rain till 1 in the morning.

We had a great day yesterday, went to Patti's, I had the Elle Mae's chicken, grilled chicken with Black Forrest ham, asparagus, with a cheese sauce, side of smashed taters and broccoli, Mrs. M had Don's chicken, grilled chicken with bacon, green onions and cheese sauce. Cost us about $60, really good, but I know I can make it cheaper that that!!!! The Southwest chicken that I gave yawl the recipe for that has cheese-it crackers in it, well I have found a NEW cracker, Bacon Cheddar, I am going to make it this week, will give you a review after I make it!!!

Glad to see Mr. Ben home, praying for you my cyber friend!!!!!LOL

Another prayer request I am asking the D to do, One of my friends, his grandson, 5years old will be having heart surgery Wednesday morning in Nashville, please say a prayer for them and the doctors. He said he has a hole in his heart. The doctors told them they do this everyday, but I have watched one of my children being taken away to have surgery when he was 3 1/2 months old and it was rough!!!!

May have an ark float by, going to have to go check and prayer for the D!!!!!

Good afternoon D, warm but raining, I think we have had close to 2" of rain and supposed to rain till 1 in the morning.

We had a great day yesterday, went to Patti's, I had the Elle Mae's chicken, grilled chicken with Black Forrest ham, asparagus, with a cheese sauce, side of smashed taters and broccoli, Mrs. M had Don's chicken, grilled chicken with bacon, green onions and cheese sauce. Cost us about $60, really good, but I know I can make it cheaper that that!!!! The Southwest chicken that I gave yawl the recipe for that has cheese-it crackers in it, well I have found a NEW cracker, Bacon Cheddar, I am going to make it this week, will give you a review after I make it!!!

Another prayer request I am asking the D to do, One of my friends, his grandson, 5years old will be having heart surgery Wednesday morning in Nashville, please say a prayer for them and the doctors. He said he has a hole in his heart. The doctors told them they do this everyday, but I have watched one of my children being taken away to have surgery when he was 3 1/2 months old and it was rough!!!!

Prayers for your friend's grandson.

Yes Sir,
My Nephew's son had this about 18 or 19 months ago. He was very young. (My older brother and Sisters only child.) He is doing well now and stated another procedure would have to be done when he in his 30's. He is showing no bad effects from the procedure and he even has a younger sister now. She seems fine.

God Bless, comfort, and protect that child, his parents, and their family.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT