ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Yep. Wasn’t afraid of nothing when I was 20. Now trying to cook with a batter scares the crap out of me. At least, that’s what I tell my better half. Been working so far.

When I was first married I did the dishes once. My wife inspected them and never again let me do the dishes. I didn't do it deliberately but it was one of my best failures ever. Hehe.

I’m wanting to, and as I said earlier, I’m not really what you would call a fisherman. But I do love fresh fish to eat occasionally. If it’s not a carp , whatever I catch is going in the skillet. I’m happy with whatever the good lord gives me this time of year.
While I do do quite a bit of fishing (at least a couple days a week during the season) I don't consider my self an expert or a fisherman per se but, I do fish quite a bit. My fishing is however limited to just a couple of species (bass mainly and on occasion, crappie) these days.

2065949.gif

Happy Saturday to all. Another weekend...but no plans. Heading to the store here in a little while.
Another warm(er) day, but still a fair amount of snow to melt. Can see a lot of the yard, but there is still a lot of snow not counting the piles next to the driveway from the snow plow. Being originally 3-5 feet tall....they are the last to go. But at least it's not freezing.

Did Virginia change their state flag?

Hammer_sickle_clean.png
When I hear stories like this it makes me ever more appreciative to have a Governor who did not shut down the state. When COVID first broke out a pastor in Tampa was arrested for holding church. The police chief in Tampa is a typical liberal you find in big city America.

The governor put a stop to that and said no Floridian will be denied the right to attend church, school or open their small business. If Home Depot and Walmart can open their doors everyone else could do the same.

Registering for church is a new low.

There are an amazingly lot of people like that still here in the boondocks. I consider myself kind of a turtle man, in some respects. But there’s people here that could put him to shame easily. Backwoods wisdom is handed down and practiced still. It’s just not on tv like moonshiners etc. That stuff is rehearsed. Ain’t no rehearsals out here.
Only a few lucky people have the benefit of growing up like that........my foster father had coon dogs......field trail, water races and night hunting........a kid learns a bunch of handy things following dogs around the countryside....
Registering for church is a new one to me. Makes you wonder what's next.
I hadn't been to the doctor for a while....when I called the lady said I would have to fill out an application.....I had been going to this guy for 15 -20 yrs......ain't been back to see him yet......

Last edited:
Good morning D-League. I hope everyone is enjoying Saturday. Low-key day here in Maryland.

I miss the days of getting on the subway with my wife on Saturday morning, or sometimes driving downtwon, hitting a place like the Old Ebbitt Grill for brunch then spending hours in and out of the Smithsonian Museums, or walking around the old Victorian-Era neighborhoods on Capitol Hill where I lived when we first met way back in the 1980s, then maybe having a few drinks and some dinner in Georgetown or the Penn Quarter. Maybe by this summer we'll be able to do that again.

I hope whatever was a great Saturday for you all pre-pandemic is back in play before too many more months.

As for today, we need a big performance by the Cats to build on some recent momentum.

I remember when I was in basic training we were allowed one phone call a week, Sunday afternoons, and I stayed in line for hours to use the phone to call back home. We had a 5 minute limit on our calls and of course they were all pay phones.

The older I get the more I realize I was born into the Stone Age.

154380011_1414351438942025_5403564202217749735_n.jpg
If I didn't know better I would say the the girl in the blue hoodie was one of my g'daughters. 😲

Had a friend in Atlanta that in addition to his regular business owned thousands of pay phones. The great majority were in the not so nice parts of Atlanta. I would help him out once in a while on a Saturday if he got behind on things and called and needed my help. If so, I would go around and collect the coins out of them.
I would have multiple thousands of dollars in quarters, dimes, and nickels by the end of the day in the car. Oh the stories I could tell....

One...was collecting one day in a housing project on the west side of Atlanta. Think there were 4 or 5 in the courtyard area. One of them ring while I'm working on the other. So I answer it. Guy on the other end tells me he's watching me. Calls me a racial slur (at least it was to me...probably not in our PC culture today). Says that he and his buds think I'm with the Atlanta P.D. or FBI tapping their phone and to get the @#*& out. Told him I was helping a friend that owned the phone and I'd leave when I was through. A little nervous but I stayed.
Obviously still alive to tell the story.

When I hear stories like this it makes me ever more appreciative to have a Governor who did not shut down the state. When COVID first broke out a pastor in Tampa was arrested for holding church. The police chief in Tampa is a typical liberal you find in big city America.

The governor put a stop to that and said no Floridian will be denied the right to attend church, school or open their small business. If Home Depot and Walmart can open their doors everyone else could do the same.

Registering for church is a new low.

I know you didn't mean it that way but registering for church is in deed a horror story or should be for any christian but I wanted to provide the bonafides too.... Never thought there would be this day in.. America...

Just click on the link...

God's protection to you all and may God's spirit always strive with you as it will not always strive with man....

I am at a loss for words as to what this means. This is a relatively large church we attended before covid.

Last edited:
If I didn't know better I would say the the girl in the blue hoodie was one of my g'daughters. 😲

Had a friend in Atlanta that in addition to his regular business owned thousands of pay phones. The great majority were in the not so nice parts of Atlanta. I would help him out once in a while on a Saturday if he got behind on things and called and needed my help. If so, I would go around and collect the coins out of them.
I would have multiple thousands of dollars in quarters, dimes, and nickels by the end of the day in the car. Oh the stories I could tell....

One...was collecting one day in a housing project on the west side of Atlanta. Think there were 4 or 5 in the courtyard area. One of them ring while I'm working on the other. So I answer it. Guy on the other end tells me he's watching me. Calls me a racial slur (at least it was to me...probably not in our PC culture today). Says that he and his buds think I'm with the Atlanta P.D. or FBI tapping their phone and to get the @#*& out. Told him I was helping a friend that owned the phone and I'd leave when I was through. A little nervous but I stayed.
Obviously still alive to tell the story.
Back in the 50's & 60's my grandfather had penny gum machines......they had penny sticks of Wrigley's and Dentine gum.........he had a four wheel cart that he would load his pennies on when we went to the bank.....I rode on top of the bags of pennies.......when we left the bank we would go to his pool hall and he would have them fix me a hamburger and coke......or we would go to White Castle for lunch........I thought that was the greatest thing on earth.....

Good morning D, dreary ole day here with lots of rain heading our way!!!

We have been married for 23 years today! This lady saved my life!!!! I never had anything before her, she turned my life around and straightened me out. I say this all the time when someone makes a comment about her, I don't deserve her, but GOD gave her to me and I am more than thankful HE did!!!! She has been a GREAT Wife, mother and grandmother!!!! I'll say this again, not many ladies would come into someone that has three children, but she did with an open heart! I ask GOD to please send me someone that would love my children as much as me, still think she loves them and the grandchildren more!!!!

We are heading to Patti's here in a little while with our friends. Strange connection with our friends, here are some of the things with us. Our friends and us were married in the same year 98, Mrs. M and her friend has the same birthday and his birthday is on our anniversary, didn't know ant of this before we met them. One more thing, please keep our friend in your prayers, she has a form of ALS and it is had to watch her health over the years. I thought at one time she did have it, then she called me on day and told me.

I hope the D, has a great dat and prayers for the D!!!!!

I know you didn't mean it that way but registering for church is in deed a horror story or should be for any christian but I wanted to provide the bonafides too.... Never thought there would be this day in.. America...

Just click on the link...

God's protection to you all and my God's spirit always strive with you as it will not always strive with man....

I am at a loss for words as to what this means. This is a relatively large church we attended before covid.
I imagine if your church is like some others, you have to register because they're only allowed a certain number of people for service. But the really scary thing is 1) it's 'state' mandated and 2) will, if/when, the state get the record of the registration? Then when they get that, what will be done with it? WHO attended, etc. I'm afraid we as a country are getting into (already have) some really bad stuff. And the great majority of people just sit back and think nothing of it....but many, many more are aware of these type things than 5 years ago. Many more.

I say this all the time when someone makes a comment about her, I don't deserve her, but GOD gave her to me and I am more than thankful HE did!!!!
I say/think much the same. I was married for 17 years when I lived in Atlanta. An absolutely beautiful Southern belle from Alabama. But.....after we were married for 7, after all kinds of problems (marital, financial, etc)...she was clinically diagnosed as a pathological liar. You can imagine what that leads to when your spouse thinks nothing about lying to you about anything and everything. Finally, after 17 years I had had enough.
After the divorce I wasn't really interested in getting remarried 'cause I wondered how many others were out there that were like that. Wondered if I ever would experience a partner/wife who had not only her interests at heart, but mine too.
I too feel that God sent me such a woman. I wasn't looking at all and how we met was nothing short of a miracle.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 59°F and very foggy. Fog should clear bringing us an 81°F high. Probably run the dang air conditioner by this afternoon.

Gators vs Cats at Rupp. 4 pm EST game time. Go Cats!

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

fe2a795da8e10a17e541efb1541812ac.png

My grandson loves strawberries. We keep a couple packages ready for him. He has them as snacks during the day and as desert after his dinner. There are a few bad weeks for strawberries finding decent ones but he likes grapes and blueberries too. Makes me feel good watching him eat. BOB (Big Ole Boy)

I got home yesterday evening from the hospital. Surgeon says that I was pretty bad. The procedure went well, and I can get up and walk with no problems, but I have a post-operative issue. Seems that even though the surgery went as planned, The root nerve became aggravated and swollen. The end result is the worst sciatica that I have ever had, in both legs. Hopefully, as the swelling goes down, it will subside. Surgeon said it may take up to 5 days for that to happen, so as badly as I hate it, I have been taking some pain medication. It was the only way I could get any sleep. As far as the rest of it, it's been great.

Last edited:
I got home yesterday evening from the hospital. Surgeon says that I was pretty bad. The procedure went well, and I can get up and walk with no problems, but I have apost-operative issue. Seems that even though the surgery went as planned, The root nerve became aggravated and swollen. The end result is the worst sciatica that I have ever had, in both legs. Hopefully, as the swelling goes down, it will subside. Surgeon said it may take up to 5 days for that to happen, so as badly as I hate it, I have been taking some pain medication. It was the only way I could get any sleep. As far as the rest of it, it's been great.

Bless you Sir, in JESUS name.. Amen

I got home yesterday evening from the hospital. Surgeon says that I was pretty bad. The procedure went well, and I can get up and walk with no problems, but I have apost-operative issue. Seems that even though the surgery went as planned, The root nerve became aggravated and swollen. The end result is the worst sciatica that I have ever had, in both legs. Hopefully, as the swelling goes down, it will subside. Surgeon said it may take up to 5 days for that to happen, so as badly as I hate it, I have been taking some pain medication. It was the only way I could get any sleep. As far as the rest of it, it's been great.
Ben, we will continue to lift you up in our prayers. It is difficult to explain to someone the degree of pain your back can give you unless they have experienced it.

A year ago I could not walk more than a few steps and had to have support to do that. The nerve damage and pain was unbearable. Today I prepared my yard for about 3 truck loads of mulch we will put down Monday. I weeded around and fertilized 32 palm trees and four citrus trees this week. This is something I doubted I would ever do again a year ago. Now it is not easy and my bones hurt and I take my time but at least I am moving. I am only 9 months post op and when I had surgery the doctor said it would be a minimum 12 month recovery and some people take two years .

In a week or two I expect things to clear up for you and you can get going on the rehab and back on the golf course. Meanwhile the D League will continue our prayers and trust God.

We have been married for 23 years today! This lady saved my life!!!! I never had anything before her, she turned my life around and straightened me out. I say this all the time when someone makes a comment about her, I don't deserve her, but GOD gave her to me and I am more than thankful HE did!!!! She has been a GREAT Wife, mother and grandmother!!!! I'll say this again, not many ladies would come into someone that has three children, but she did with an open heart! I ask GOD to please send me someone that would love my children as much as me, still think she loves them and the grandchildren more!!!!

We are heading to Patti's here in a little while with our friends. Strange connection with our friends, here are some of the things with us. Our friends and us were married in the same year 98, Mrs. M and her friend has the same birthday and his birthday is on our anniversary, didn't know ant of this before we met them. One more thing, please keep our friend in your prayers, she has a form of ALS and it is had to watch her health over the years. I thought at one time she did have it, then she called me on day and told me.

Congrats Cord to you and your wife.

I got home yesterday evening from the hospital. Surgeon says that I was pretty bad. The procedure went well, and I can get up and walk with no problems, but I have a post-operative issue. Seems that even though the surgery went as planned, The root nerve became aggravated and swollen. The end result is the worst sciatica that I have ever had, in both legs. Hopefully, as the swelling goes down, it will subside. Surgeon said it may take up to 5 days for that to happen, so as badly as I hate it, I have been taking some pain medication. It was the only way I could get any sleep. As far as the rest of it, it's been great.
Good to hear from you Ben.

Best of luck with the nerve swelling. Just remember that drugs are wonderful when you need them. I am addicted to many things but so far I have never been hooked on pain meds because I quit taking them as soon as possible.

Happy Anniversary. Wishing y'all many more.

Happy you're back. Wishing a speedy, complete recovery.

I understand that!
cd15127-chicken-couple-on-farm-funny-valentines-day-card.jpg

Happy Anniversary from Horseville.
That girl will make some lucky boy and dang good wife. If you can find one that will gator hunt with you, God is smiling down on you son.
I got one.

I got home yesterday evening from the hospital. Surgeon says that I was pretty bad. I have been taking some pain medication. It was the only way I could get any sleep. As far as the rest of it, it's been great.
That's what meds are for. You're are aware. You'll handle it fine.
5489521972936d864202ecc71af04be3.jpg

Last edited:
My darling made some more of the mandu yesterday. The thing is, she ran out of the skins. (She made her own this time.)

I added my fingers for a size comparison...

154185322_4254933634520184_7268173293382502495_n.jpg

Had this for lunch yesterday...

154575584_4254933274520220_5563684822511279297_n.jpg

(Yeah, I had a refill...)

This is from one of our fishing trips in SC when we were there...

10866230_1027056097307970_7328366361487621514_o.jpg

Ben, we will continue to lift you up in our prayers. It is difficult to explain to someone the degree of pain your back can give you unless they have experienced it.

A year ago I could not walk more than a few steps and had to have support to do that. The nerve damage and pain was unbearable. Today I prepared my yard for about 3 truck loads of mulch we will put down Monday. I weeded around and fertilized 32 palm trees and four citrus trees this week. This is something I doubted I would ever do again a year ago. Now it is not easy and my bones hurt and I take my time but at least I am moving. I am only 9 months post op and when I had surgery the doctor said it would be a minimum 12 month recovery and some people take two years .

In a week or two I expect things to clear up for you and you can get going on the rehab and back on the golf course. Meanwhile the D League will continue our prayers and trust God.

Thank you, Sawnee and all the others who have lifted me up in prayer. It means a lot to me. If I could just get rid of this sciatica and get some sleep, I will be fine. I think it is a little better, today, but it is making really slow progress. The back is great.

Good to hear from you Ben.

Best of luck with the nerve swelling. Just remember that drugs are wonderful when you need them. I am addicted to many things but so far I have never been hooked on pain meds because I quit taking them as soon as possible.

I do, too. I have not understood how people get hooked on these things. To me, they are a tool to stop pain, and when I get to where Tylenol will take over, I flush the rest. I cannot see them being recreational, by any means.

Congratulations, Cord. From what you have posted about your wife, you both made wise decisions in selecting a mate.

Best of luck with recovery. Had a bad round with kidney stones a few years ago and ate pain pills for a week until I started seeing the negative consequences. Now it’s really a necessity if I take one.

ADVERTISEMENT