ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good luck with it. it's probably ok, but my trust in gov is pretty near zero. Maybe time will change my mind, but as of today, they'd have sneak up behind me and knock me out to give me the shot.
At my age I have nothing to lose. My wife does not take flu shots so she is passing on it.

But if it kills me they can put on my tombstone. " We were right and he was wrong" ,

Good luck with it. it's probably ok, but my trust in gov is pretty near zero. Maybe time will change my mind, but as of today, they'd have sneak up behind me and knock me out to give me the shot.
As an old failed chemist, I have trust. The U.S. medical system is the best known to man.

When offered the shot take it, please. It has little to do with government. The U.S. government just greased the skids.

Yes and Hoppin' John is a family tradition going back 6 generations. We serve it with my wife's cornbread and collards cooked in ham hocks. She went to the store yesterday and got everything we need to cook it.
I love any kind of greens, with Swiss Chard being my favorite. The bad thing about it, is that you can hardly find it in stores anymore.

As an old failed chemist, I have trust. The U.S. medical system is the best known to man.

When offered the shot take it, please. It has little to do with government. The U.S. government just greased the skids.
I trust that the guys making the product are ok, but forget everything else and just take Fauci. His lies alone are enough to stop me. I'm 73 with some relatively minor issues, but unless time changes my mind, my mistrust is to great.

Just get word I get my COVID shot on Jan 4 , Monday

We are in the 65 and older phase now
At my age I have nothing to lose. My wife does not take flu shots so she is passing on it.

But if it kills me they can put on my tombstone. " We were right and he was wrong" ,

It won’t kill you. You must have been Johnny on the spot signing up for it.

“Florida scrambled to stand up vaccination sites for the general public this week just days after Gov. Ron DeSantis said he would depart from CDC guidelines and make the shots available to as many people age 65 and older as possible.
That meant confusion over residency requirements at county vaccination sites, changing rules about who requires a doctor’s note to receive the inoculation and technology glitches with phone lines and web portals as a crush of people sought the small number of doses available so far.”

link

Will have to wait a while where we are at. Medical personnel and first responders along with assisted living etc first here, then over 65.

4521406256_d853c365d7_o.jpg

Agree. US system is indeed wonderful. It's a major reason I'm still here.

They are going to be wrong not you.

Geeze folks, why are we going with this?

Do not watch a nice TV,
don’t use the internet,
don’t embrace any advances in science not matter what.

Just go back to the 1930’s and listen to radio. Refuse TV, refuse internet, refuse all advances.

Why do we deny all science? Why do we go this direction all the time?

Are we that stupid?

I have never had Hoppin' John Soup. We fixed a pot of black eyes with seasoning such as ham scraps, fat back, ham hocks, etc. and serve it over a bed of white rice. But I can see where you could make the peas soupy and fix it like a soup, We just never thought of it. Our Hoppin John turns out something like this. We serve it with thick pork chops and collards.

emeril-hoppin-john.png
S.C. that looks so good!

“The Pfizer emergency use authorization is for people aged 16 and older. Moderna’s is for people 18 and older, though the company has recently begun testing its vaccine in 12- to 17-year-olds.

Both vaccines have shown astonishing — and essentially equivalent — degrees of efficacy, at least in the early stages after vaccination. How they stack up over the long term remains to be seen.

The Pfizer vaccine showed efficacy of 95% at preventing symptomatic Covid infection, measured starting from seven days after the second dose was administered. The vaccine appeared to be more or less equally protective across age groups and racial and ethnic groups.

The Moderna vaccine was 94.1% effective at preventing symptomatic Covid-19, measured starting from 14 days after the second dose. The vaccine’s efficacy appeared to be slightly lower in people 65 and older, but during a presentation to the Food and Drug Administration’s advisory committee the company explained that the numbers could have been influenced by the fact there were few cases in that age group in the trial. The vaccine appeared to be equally effective across different ethnic and racial groups.

Both vaccines seemed to reduce the risk of severe Covid disease. It’s not yet known if either prevents asymptomatic infection with the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Nor is it known if vaccinated people can transmit the virus if they do become infected but don’t show symptoms.

Both the Moderna and the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccines require two shots: a priming dose, followed by a booster shot. The interval between Moderna doses is 28 days; for the Pfizer vaccine, it’s 21 days.”

Link

My son and daughter in law have both taken it. They live in Kentucky and are in medicine. He swears by it and almost has his mother convinced to take it. I think she will.

Purple Hull Peas are my go too. We always raised them in the garden when I was a kid and I still do to this day. Some people say they are just like Black Eyed Peas, but not to me!
I love purple hulls and we have them very often. You are right they are much better than black eyes IMO. I prefer they be cooked with snaps. Also crowders and field peas are on my list. Down in the Deep South we cook them with okra, I prefer whole. So I will have my peas with snaps and okra.

“The Pfizer emergency use authorization is for people aged 16 and older. Moderna’s is for people 18 and older, though the company has recently begun testing its vaccine in 12- to 17-year-olds.

Both vaccines have shown astonishing — and essentially equivalent — degrees of efficacy, at least in the early stages after vaccination. How they stack up over the long term remains to be seen.

The Pfizer vaccine showed efficacy of 95% at preventing symptomatic Covid infection, measured starting from seven days after the second dose was administered. The vaccine appeared to be more or less equally protective across age groups and racial and ethnic groups.

The Moderna vaccine was 94.1% effective at preventing symptomatic Covid-19, measured starting from 14 days after the second dose. The vaccine’s efficacy appeared to be slightly lower in people 65 and older, but during a presentation to the Food and Drug Administration’s advisory committee the company explained that the numbers could have been influenced by the fact there were few cases in that age group in the trial. The vaccine appeared to be equally effective across different ethnic and racial groups.

Both vaccines seemed to reduce the risk of severe Covid disease. It’s not yet known if either prevents asymptomatic infection with the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Nor is it known if vaccinated people can transmit the virus if they do become infected but don’t show symptoms.

Both the Moderna and the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccines require two shots: a priming dose, followed by a booster shot. The interval between Moderna doses is 28 days; for the Pfizer vaccine, it’s 21 days.”

Link
In my post above about my nephew....I forgot to mention that he said that him and his med/research buds have no problem with the Moderna vaccine.

In my post above about my nephew....I forgot to mention that he said that him and his med/research buds have no problem with the Moderna vaccine.

Both the Moderna and Pfizer vaccine seem to take the same approach. Both are messenger RNA vaccines relying on fatty lipids as a delivery vehicle. Basically a genetic recipe for making a piece of the spikes that sit atop the coronavirus. When injected, our body's immune system makes antibodies to attack and attach to the the spikes. When a vaccinated person is exposed to the coronavirus, those antibodies should attack the virus. Moderna uses a synthetic mRNA that codes for a structure called the "pre-fusion stabilized spike glycoprotein" of the virus.

Both have to be kept frozen for storage with the Pfizer requiring ultra cold storage as in specialized freezers. Some articles theorize this is due to the type of lipids Pfizer uses for delivery.

Interesting side note. Moderna, has never brought a product to market, or gotten any of its nine or so vaccine candidates approved for use by the FDA. And it had never had a product make it to phase three of a clinical trial until the COVID 19 vaccine.

Both the Moderna and Pfizer vaccine seem to take the same approach. Both are messenger RNA vaccines relying on fatty lipids as a delivery vehicle. Basically a genetic recipe for making a piece of the spikes that sit atop the coronavirus. When injected, our body's immune system makes antibodies to attack and attach to the the spikes. When a vaccinated person is exposed to the coronavirus, those antibodies should attack the virus. Moderna uses a synthetic mRNA that codes for a structure called the "pre-fusion stabilized spike glycoprotein" of the virus.

Both have to be kept frozen for storage with the Pfizer requiring ultra cold storage as in specialized freezers. Some articles theorize this is due to the type of lipids Pfizer uses for delivery.

Interesting side note. Moderna, has never brought a product to market, or gotten any of its nine or so vaccine candidates approved for use by the FDA. And it had never had a product make it to phase three of a clinical trial until the COVID 19 vaccine.
I've been a Pfizer shareholder since 1993 via the Pharmacia-Upjohn merger. Never traded. Realized a decent gain with the Monsanto divesture. One would reason my PFE stock has boomed. Nope. If not for dividend reinvestment, I'd barely be up much past basic NAV. On the other hand, Moderna has been a beast.

I've been a Pfizer shareholder since 1993 via the Pharmacia-Upjohn merger. Never traded. Realized a decent gain with the Monsanto divesture. One would reason my PFE stock has boomed. Nope. If not for dividend reinvestment, I'd barely be up much past basic NAV. On the other hand, Moderna has been a beast.

Moderna being a small co established in 2010 would have more room to run. As you know Pfizer is a gigantic beast of a co that just keeps plodding along no matter what.

It won’t kill you. You must have been Johnny on the spot signing up for it.

“Florida scrambled to stand up vaccination sites for the general public this week just days after Gov. Ron DeSantis said he would depart from CDC guidelines and make the shots available to as many people age 65 and older as possible.
That meant confusion over residency requirements at county vaccination sites, changing rules about who requires a doctor’s note to receive the inoculation and technology glitches with phone lines and web portals as a crush of people sought the small number of doses available so far.”

link

Will have to wait a while where we are at. Medical personnel and first responders along with assisted living etc first here, then over 65.
It really was very easy. I live in a small, conservative county and things run much smoother here. All I had to do was call (352) 540-6800 and they gave me a time and place. Now if you get into the metro areas of Orlando and the Southeast part of the state you always have problems. They are pretty helpless down there and screw up about everything they get their hands on.

It really was very easy. I live in a small, conservative county and things run much smoother here. All I had to do was call (352) 540-6800 and they gave me a time and place. Now if you get into the metro areas of Orlando and the Southeast part of the state you always have problems. They are pretty helpless down there and screw up about everything they get their hands on.

Glad you were able to sign up so easily and will get it soon. Should be enough people vaccinated in the country by June to establish herd immunity.

Moderna being a small co established in 2010 would have more room to run. As you know Pfizer is a gigantic beast of a co that just keeps plodding along no matter what.
+1

PFE = 88,000 employee massive multinational founded 170 years ago. Great for a value investor seeking stable, taxable dividend income. Limited upside. No splits since I've been a shareholder (27 years), and two small spinoffs. Monsanto shareholders were considered insane, environmentally unfriendly demons. I was ecstatic when Bayer announced the MON acquisition. Paid off my credit card for good.

MRNA = 10 year-old small, flexible, cutting-edge biotech with 830 employees and seemingly unlimited upside.

Oh, the missed opportunities. I just shake my head sometimes.

When Northerners move down and talk about how they hate Southern cooking I ask them how they cook it. For example grits. If you do not salt them and put some butter on them I wouldn't eat them either. And they are not a cereal like cream of wheat. No milk or sugar. Putting milk and sugar on grits will get you kicked out of Waffle House faster than not wearing masks in Kentucky. GET THAT YANKEE OUT OF HERE

Grits are made out of corn. I doubt there are many days I do not have grits. We eat them at any meal. For breakfast we eat them with sausage, bacon and ham. We make red eye gravy out of the grease in the pan and pour that over the grits For supper we eat them with pork chops, fish and shell fish like shrimp. A tomato gravy is made with meat drippings at supper time and poured over the grits.

Lots of local restaurants make a grit cake and serve it with tomato gravy and bacon. This picture from the Florida Cracker Kitchen illustrates a grit cake (the triangle shaped item on the plate). This is fried grits in butter which makes a thin crust. Tomato gravy, shrimp and bacon are added to the grit cake. It is dad gum good folks. Even if you are from Buffalo, New York.

Q7U3JEGJJEI6TAGOPAY4DVT77I.jpg
I don't do grits. My mother tried it once and we did not like them. She tried them as a cereal as you posted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT