ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Here's a Civil War veterans reunion in Austin held in 1941.

Emj-vIBWEAAU6HQ
Weren't too many around by the '40s. If you were 15 in the war you'd be about 90 by the time of this picture.

Sorry to hear that Ben. I get them needing beds, but most people wouldn't be having a surgery of your magnitude if they weren't in pain. I guarantee if Justice was in your shape, he'd be having the surgery.

That's the bad part. The hospital doesn't have enough Covid cases to make up for the cancelled surgeries, so they have an excess of beds. If he had any sense, he would tell them that they can continue elective surgeries, until they occupy 80% of their beds, then they have to cut them off. He must have gone to the Andy Beshear conference for Governors, and he doesn't think before doing stupid things, either.

Goooooooood Morning Legionnaires!

42° on tap for today with winds gusting to 20mph. Going to do my only Christmas shopping today while wife and daughter are at work/school.

Daughter started the year going to school with the option of virtual if she wants it. Given a choice now after Christmas to do virtual if not, stay in school for the rest of the year. She is now telling us she thinks she wants to go virtual. She has a friend on line she plays games with from England that is doing virtual and she now wants to do the same. I told her she better think about that hard because, with me now being home I will ensure that her school work will be done first along with home work next and any on line time with friends will be limited. The look on her face told me all I needed to know. Now she is not so sure. Heh, Heh, Heh. Mean ole daddy.

Good morning from a cool Gulf Coast

We have 39° at the present and the sunshine will bring us up to 72° by midafternoon. Our humidity is 71% and winds are out of the East at 7 mph. No rain and no snow or ice.

Trust all are well or have a road to good health and prayers for those who need a little touch. Sonshine cleans the soul

128843242_10223693843990748_4217910543316925120_n.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning D-League. Hope everyone slept better than the night before after the Cats crapped the bed.

Sorry about the health care industry jerking you around Ben. My wife works as an RN with some administrative duties at a Johns Hopkins hospital in Maryland (not the main one in Baltimore. This is suburban DC.)

She's friends with the chief of staff, and has some insight into how the hospitals have been jerked around on elective surgeries -- shut down to keep patients from getting infected and to clear room for Covid, back on to generate revenue for the hospital and surgeons, but with ZERO family visits, then modified family visits, then back off again.

Naturally, it is people in situations like yours who end up getting jerked around. It has also had her in a spin as a surgical nurse. She's had about ten different shifts since spring, now working 12 hour shifts three days a week that completely exhaust her.

Just another way 2020 has sucked some life out of us all.

Morning folks. It is cold and cloudy here. We are supposed to get to fifty today.

On insurance: I worked for the railroad and I don't get normal Medicare, it is called Pamletto. My cost for Medicare and supplements for Sherry and I are about $12,000 a year; however, with that I basically have no deductibles. My hip replacement in 2019 was $2.00 out of pocket. Part of my cost are picked up by the railroad in some sort of deal that they have with Aetna and Mutual of Omaha. Thank God I got hired by the railroad.

My daughter is COO for Medicaid in Kentucky at Humana, plus she deals with Ohio and Georgia on an as needed basis. The state is a hard thing to figure out. They keep moving all the goal posts on a monthly basis. She complains about it all the time and goes to Frankfort often to have negotiations, but because of that she has a high paying job trying to keep the rules manageable. I tried to switch to Humana this fall and found it nearly impossible.

On scheduled surgery: I was supposed to get my left hip replaced on March 23, 2020. They cancelled me three weeks before to cancel the operation. The doctors office advised that they would call back when they could reschedule it. To date they have yet to reschedule it.

I just stay pissed most of the time. I never really understood how one little virus that kills less than one percent of the infected could shut down a damned country, but it has.

I might have told Sawnee this months ago when he was first mentioning his back surgery, but my youngest son has a titanium (I'm pretty sure) tube/cone in his back. Picked something up one day...took about 4 or 5 steps and went down. By the end of the day he was in the hospital and couldn't walk. Don't remember all the details but they had to take out several disks in his lower back and replace them with it. About 7 inches as I recall.
If that wasn't bad enough...he lives in Atlanta and it happened in New Jersey right across the river from Philly. Was in the hospital there for about a month if not a little longer. Through an old connection I got him in a hospital in Atlanta that specializes in spinal problems. They flew up and got him and he spent about another month there.
Still has some problems and he's supposed to have another procedure done...but I'm not up on exactly what they want to do. He's 39 so my fear is is that as he gets older he'll have more and more problems. Hate to think what it might be like in another 20 years.
Doctors kind of thought that he might have had a weak back from playing football in H.S., but of course they didn't know for sure.

I played football in HS. I sprained an ankle and screwed up a knee in that time. I still have the effects from that knee injury. I loved football but if I had had a son I don't think I would have encouraged him to play football.

I also boxed a couple of years in the Golden Gloves tournaments and that may help explain why I am accused of being addled (and a Trump supporter).

I played football in HS. I sprained an ankle and screwed up a knee in that time. I still have the effects from that knee injury. I loved football but if I had had a son I don't think I would have encouraged him to play football.

I also boxed a couple of years in the Golden Gloves tournaments and that may help explain why I am accused of being addled (and a Trump supporter).
My brother had both knees replaced when he was about 60. Both screwed up from football. Kidney operation when he was 19-20 from football. Quite a good player...still remember Woody Hayes in our living room. Doctors told him not play college ball due to H.S. injuries.
My son was a very good player too. Had several small/mid-level college offers and then a number of large schools started looking/recruiting him till he tore up a knee and ripped his hamstring.
Great sport/memories if you don't have lingering medical issues.
Me? I was too chicken to play football. 😊

My all-time favorite version of You Win Again. That piano work on this song is magnificent.

This was my daddy's favorite version and mine too, of You Win Again. Johnny Cash had a good one but not as good as Jerry Lee. Johnny Cash is my favorite country singer so that is a mouthful for me.

My daddy said Jerry Lee Lewis played the piano like a Pentecostal preacher. He might have been right about that. It sure sounds like some church services and gospel singing back in the 1950's.

This was my daddy's favorite version and mine too, of You Win Again. Johnny Cash had a good one but not as good as Jerry Lee. Johnny Cash is my favorite country singer so that is a mouthful for me.

My daddy said Jerry Lee Lewis played the piano like a Pentecostal preacher. He might have been right about that. It sure sounds like some church services and gospel singing back in the 1950's.

Jerry Lee, Jimmy Swaggart, and Mickey Gilley are all first cousins... A couple are double first cousins however that works...

Well, it is in the blood...him and Jimmy S.
And Mickey Gilley. All first cousins. They had a fourth 1st cousin who did not go into show business but he was also a wizard on the piano. I saw his obituary a few years ago. He was content to be a pastor of a church and minister to his local congregation in Louisiana.

Louisiana put out some great pianist back in those days. A whole bunch of them ended up on Bourbon St in New Orleans.

My brother had both knees replaced when he was about 60. Both screwed up from football. Kidney operation when he was 19-20 from football. Quite a good player...still remember Woody Hayes in our living room. Doctors told him not play college ball due to H.S. injuries.
My son was a very good player too. Had several small/mid-level college offers and then a number of large schools started looking/recruiting him till he tore up a knee and ripped his hamstring.
Great sport/memories if you don't have lingering medical issues.
Me? I was too chicken to play football. 😊

I never played football. By the time I was interested, my knees were already screwed up from playing basketball. Coach wanted me as a running back, and I told him my knees wouldn't last the first practice.

Kind of like 3rd cousin twice removed...????? Some of this stuff I've never been able to figure out.
First cousins share a grandparent, second cousin share a great-grandparent, third cousins cousins share a great-great-grandparent, and so on. ... So your first cousin once removed is the child (or parent) of your first cousin . Your second cousin once removed is the child (or parent) of your second cousin. Your third cousin once removed is the child(or parent) of your third cousin.

It gets complicated. I have a chart that spells this out that I refer to time to time. :)

First cousins share a grandparent, second cousin share a great-grandparent, third cousins cousins share a great-great-grandparent, and so on. ... So your first cousin once removed is the child (or parent) of your first cousin . Your second cousin once removed is the child (or parent) of your second cousin. Your third cousin once removed is the child(or parent) of your third cousin.

It gets complicated. I have a chart that spells this out that I refer to time to time. :)

I have that reference too, put to music: (Sir)

Last edited:
***Product Review***
Mentioned on here a few weeks ago that I got a Power Smokeless Indoor Grill on an early Black Friday deal.
Did some bone-in chicken breasts tonight. Did good...in fact a whole lot better than I thought it would. No smoke. Quiet exhaust fan (was expecting it to be loud...we have an air fryer that sounds like a small jet). Cooked really well. Beat standing outside in the cold with the sun going down.

ADVERTISEMENT