ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

The light was on.

Krispy_Kreme__041.580fbe57ae731.jpg

Carry on.

Glad we don't have Black Mambas.

Exactly right. I've rescued rattlers a number of times. That's not that difficult but I've been lucky working. Stepped on a couple I haven't seen. They got angry about it, rattled their warning of disapproval but have not bitten. Maybe I've got some snake karma going on but I don't trust that or any of them ever. Some are beautiful for being a snake. I like the pink ones.
images

Exactly right. I've rescued rattlers a number of times. That's not that difficult but I've been lucky working. Stepped on a couple I haven't seen. They got angry about it, rattled their warning of disapproval but have not bitten. Maybe I've got some snake karma going on but I don't trust that or any of them ever. Some are beautiful for being a snake. I like the pink ones.
images
Rescued from what?

Both my shepherds have this natural instinct...They always get between me and anybody they do not know..

My mutt Trigger had the same instinct. Trig MIGHT have been 20 lbs, but he would take on anything of any size he perceived as being a threat to me and my kid brother. I like to think Trigger was the source of "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog". When Trig died, I never had another pet. It wouldn't have been fair to the new guy.

Rescued from what?

Traffic, Farmers, Janitors, Mules, Kids, Teachers, Swimming Pools, Canals. Generally, places where they pose a danger to others or themselves. Tracking rodents with their tongues they sometimes end up in a location where they become a dangerous nuisance. The Pinks live in the Grand Canyon and they are generally harmless there but can find themselves in the river and can create havoc boarding a raft full of people.

snake-perry01_1500-56a725033df78cf77292bcf3.jpg

Linky

Last edited:
Mutual funds. I've been in Alger Small Cap Growth (ALCSX) since 1994. It's only appreciated 64% since then. Alger, formerly located in the WTC, took a direct hit during the 9/11 attacks. The remaining Alger funds have appreciated well, but not this laggard. I'm switching Monday. Worst investment ever.
The crash of '08 hit me really hard. I had to do a lot of rearranging.

The crash of '08 hit me really hard. I had to do a lot of rearranging.
Me too. I rode it out. Watched my investment in National City Corp drop from $25K to $1K. That money was earmarked for a summer house in KY. The stock was absorbed by PNC Bank. My other Ohio holdings (Bob Evans and Wendy's) performed very well since.

I'm getting seriously proactive with this stuff now because I hope to retire mid-2021 at age 59 1/2.

Me too. I rode it out. Watched my investment in National City Corp drop from $25K to $1K. That money was earmarked for a summer house in KY. The stock was absorbed by PNC Bank. My other Ohio holdings (Bob Evans and Wendy's) performed very well since.

I'm getting seriously proactive with this stuff now because I hope to retire mid-2021 at age 59 1/2.
Austin we experienced the same pain with National City. My Dad was employed there for 45 years so I had a lot invested. At it's peak I believe the per share cost was around $40. I sold all my shares for $9/share. I took a BIG bath. Dad took a much larger bath and it was sickening to watch. He'd stare at the stock ticker for hours. Really aged him. Bad times.

Austin we experienced the same pain with National City. My Dad was employed there for 45 years so I had a lot invested. At it's peak I believe the per share cost was around $40. I sold all my shares for $9/share. I took a BIG bath. Dad took a much larger bath and it was sickening to watch. He'd stare at the stock ticker for hours. Really aged him. Bad times.
Wow! Sorry to hear it. I owned roughly 450 NCC shares through the Dividend Reinvestment Plan, and first started investing back in 1993 while stationed in Germany. The DRIP was sweet, as it included a 3% discount on reinvested shares.

Wow! Sorry to hear it. I owned roughly 450 NCC shares through the Dividend Reinvestment Plan, and first started investing back in 1993 while stationed in Germany. The DRIP was sweet, as it included a 3% discount on reinvested shares.
It was a solid investment until the bottom dropped out. Really poor decisions made from their Cleveland headquarters.

It was a solid investment until the bottom dropped out. Really poor decisions made from their Cleveland headquarters.
Yes, indeed. Too much exposure in the mortgage sector. There was another guy posting here in the Paddock back in 2009 who worked for NCC in KY. Can't remember his user name. Had an MBA. Anyway, he quit and moved to Charlotte and went to work for another bank.

I'm convinced that banking crisis served as one of the factors which caused my 2 strokes.

I was heavy into the financial sector back then. Too heavy. My grandpa got burned bad by banks during the Great Depression. The entire industry has contracted via mergers. Nowadays, I'm into two issues: PNC and HBAN, and only because of mergers. Both are still at a loss on paper.

Yes, indeed. Too much exposure in the mortgage sector. There was another guy posting here in the Paddock back in 2009 who worked for NCC in KY. Can't remember his user name. Had an MBA. Anyway, he quit and moved to Charlotte and went to work for another bank.

I'm convinced that banking crisis served as one of the factors which caused my 2 strokes.

I was heavy into the financial sector back then. Too heavy. My grandpa got burned bad by banks during the Great Depression. The entire industry has contracted via mergers. Nowadays, I'm into two issues: PNC and HBAN, and only because of mergers. Both are still at a loss on paper.
I'm sure you have a diversified portfolio like most people but hell, it's still a crap shoot. I have friends/relatives that have cleaned up on tech stocks and others that are still trying to recover. Right now though the market is damn strong and that's encouraging. I don't have too much invested in the financial side right now. Too many bad memories.

I'm sure you have a diversified portfolio like most people but hell, it's still a crap shoot. I have friends/relatives that have cleaned up on tech stocks and others that are still trying to recover. Right now though the market is damn strong and that's encouraging. I don't have too much invested in the financial side right now. Too many bad memories.
Yeah, it's diversified and fairly split between DRIPs and mutual funds. Had great luck with financials until the crisis. My other stocks have been solid since the bloodbath back then. You are correct. What could have been.

I plan on moving out of the DRIPs into more mutual funds in a few years. No more crap shooting. I'm getting too old for that stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT