ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

I'm not sure yet. I've been looking at all the mid sized models. I like the little Fords but they are probably ranked the lowest of all the options. I would rather have a full sized truck but I would have to redo the fence around my back yard. The gate that is there now isn't big enough to get a full size back there. It's big enough if I have enough speed, but I like to drive slow in the yard.

Nope, They're on their own

A Gila River Band - Indian Reservation
wild-horses-700x357.jpg

A Salt River Band - U S Forest Service
slide1.jpg
I surprised that somebody is not throwing some hay out for them. Thanks for the pics. Are there ever any roundups?

I'm not sure yet. I've been looking at all the mid sized models. I like the little Fords but they are probably ranked the lowest of all the options. I would rather have a full sized truck but I would have to redo the fence around my back yard. The gate that is there now isn't big enough to get a full size back there. It's big enough if I have enough speed, but I like to drive slow in the yard.
That wouldn't be a big step for a stepper such as yourself.

I surprised that somebody is not throwing some hay out for them. Thanks for the pics. Are there ever any roundups?

Lots of people love them so it wouldn’t surprise me they get fed on occasion. The Gila bands migrate and disappear for months. The Salt bands also migrate but the canyon habitats are much more rugged. They do have an occasional round-ups because of lack of predation. Lions take a few foals but they don’t like the fight. They generally take Mule Deer and their preferred prey are the Bighorn Sheep.

Yeap got a good rain after a perfect day. 64 degrees on the front porch. If it dries out I will mow.

Thanks for the songs fellows. I love blue grass but have to listen to it with a head set as my wife hates it.

Jerry Lee Lewis can simply make music. He was born with the gene.

I also listen mostly through headphones in consideration of my wife. The Chocolate Drops' music is Traditional Folk, a genre of it's own.

Wildcat Story: One of our old friends from our Lexington years visited us recently. Their daughter was telling us about a female Bobcat that had visited them on their property outside of Santa Fe, NM. She had fed it many times, and she had a picture of it begging at a window. Well, they adopted a dog, a Lab mix probably. The dog tied up with the Bobcat, and the Bobcat damn near killed their dog. The vet sewed him up, and he recovered. He had many many stitches. He looked like he had tangled with Slim in the Jim Croce song. I'd bet that he does not mess with another Bobcat. That thing looked like a small Leopard.

Florida-panther-picture.jpg

Dad was a hunter. I never cared for hunting myself. He killed a couple of these in Mississippi years apart. It was funny about the last one he killed. He and his BIL took it to town to show it off in the bed of the pickup. Somebody spoke up and informed Dad that the Panther was a protected species. His BIL spoke up and told them that it was chasing his cows. Nobody ever did anything.

Somebody spoke up and informed Dad that the Panther was a protected species.

They do that here too, and has a severe impacted on our Bighorn Sheep populations. We don’t have a natural ecosystem anymore. And cats large and small are subsidized predators in it. The Cougars wild feed on their preferred prey until the populations are so small they cannot sustain themselves. In a natural situation the predators move on or die. In the subsidized scenario, that’s when they take a calf. I’m sure it’s the same everywhere. My inclination here is that the deer herd wasn't large enough and perhaps over hunted. Same with house cats all over the world with bird populations. We really can’t blame the cats or their owners who are (like most people) unknowingly well meaning environmental Neanderthals.

Last edited:
Wildcat Story: One of our old friends from our Lexington years visited us recently. Their daughter was telling us about a female Bobcat that had visited them on their property outside of Santa Fe, NM. She had fed it many times, and she had a picture of it begging at a window. Well, they adopted a dog, a Lab mix probably. The dog tied up with the Bobcat, and the Bobcat damn near killed their dog. The vet sewed him up, and he recovered. He had many many stitches. He looked like he had tangled with Slim in the Jim Croce song. I'd bet that he does not mess with another Bobcat. That thing looked like a small Leopard.

My wife and I had an encounter with one in the woods in S Dakota. I had my wife slowly back away while I stood facing it (chivalrous of me, huh?). After she was away safely I then backed away but it didn't attack.

** I'll bet that bobcat went and told his friends about that scary encounter it had with a guy in the woods and how he was so glad it didn't get attacked.

My wife and I had an encounter with one in the woods in S Dakota. I had my wife slowly back away while I stood facing it (chivalrous of me, huh?). After she was away safely I then backed away but it didn't attack.

** I'll bet that bobcat went and told his friends about that scary encounter it had with a guy in the woods and how he was so glad it didn't get attacked.
I wouldn't mess with one especially if it's name was Slim.

Interesting railroad. It is now part of CSX, my old employer.

My son graduated from Western Maryland College in Westminster, MD which was endowed by the Western Maryland Railroad. Western Maryland College is now named McDaniel.

My son's education at Western Maryland was quite expensive, but it appears to have worked.

Home again. Made myself a grilled ham and cheese as soon as I walked in. We need another loaf of bread, I'm wearing the last one around my gut. I use mayonnaise on the bread of my grilled sandwiches. It's easier to spread and does a great job of browning and crisping up. Just a thin layer is all it takes. Bread-cheese-meat-cheese-bread. Didn't have a mater so it wasn't truly gourmet.

Home again. Made myself a grilled ham and cheese as soon as I walked in. We need another loaf of bread, I'm wearing the last one around my gut. I use mayonnaise on the bread of my grilled sandwiches. It's easier to spread and does a great job of browning and crisping up. Just a thin layer is all it takes. Bread-cheese-meat-cheese-bread. Didn't have a mater so it wasn't truly gourmet.

Thanks ymmot, I had a mater too.

Not the biggest country fan, really - do like some
but this man's voice always made me swoon; him and Jim Reeves
I counted the genres on my JRiver jukebox and it's 22. I like music if it sounds good to my ears. I almost started a thread on the Paddock "What's your favorite classical composition?" Good thing I didn't. I would have been ripped to shreds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT