ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Those are great memories! Meeting Lee Greenwood must have been a treasure.

During the concert he had mentioned being in Gitmo Bay entertaining so I asked him if the "Bloody Mile" mile was still there? That was what us swabbies called the walk from the pier to the club and back. He said yes and that the banana rats were still their also. He is indeed the real deal and yes I am glad to have had that meeting.

Last edited:
evening D - or maybe I should say morning?
Just got home; pretty wiped out. Didn't rain as much as we were afraid it would.
ready for sleep, but probably will be up for a while
good to see Fred posting again
a shame about Erin Moran - I grew up wishing I were Joanie.
hope all are well

Morning folks of the D-League. 49 and rainy again.

Now on page 1986 again. 1986 for me was spent in Houston, TX. I had a great job, great neighbors and a very good year. My son went to the University of Houston, my daughter at Cyprus Fairbanks High.
good morning. So far 48° here; supposed to warm up to about 65 or so

1986 was a decent enough year, I agree. Rob and I were dating - still in that new stage. I started my senior year of HS.
I hate that I was too busy yesterday to post this for 1985
the song is awesome for us 80s kids - but the video is hilarious and there's a little eye candy for you fellas in there

Top of the Day in AZ 66°F headed for 97°F same cloudless sky

Screen+shot+2010-10-18+at+12.53.39+PM2.png

I had too much fun yesterday celebrating 1985 big time. I'll
celebrate 1986 today . . . but not so loud.

I'm heading outside here in a few to work in the backyard. I've got a few firm ideas about what I'm going to do, but some things will just happen organically. Get it?

Good news with the oak trees. The last two storms that came through with decent wind didn't knock any additional limbs and twigs out.

Wife has some more trees to plant this year. I got lucky and a few of them we planted last year didn't make it, 7 of them are growing, right now. Some of the trees are a preemptive strike against whoever ends up moving in next door. In a few years I'll have it blocked off fairly well.

Haven't told my wife yet, but I think some ribs might be in order for today. Seems counterproductive to be working in the backyard without having an egg fired up. Two birds, one stone...

I'm heading outside here in a few to work in the backyard. I've got a few firm ideas about what I'm going to do, but some things will just happen organically. Get it?

Good news with the oak trees. The last two storms that came through with decent wind didn't knock any additional limbs and twigs out.

Wife has some more trees to plant this year. I got lucky and a few of them we planted last year didn't make it, 7 of them are growing, right now. Some of the trees are a preemptive strike against whoever ends up moving in next door. In a few years I'll have it blocked off fairly well.

Haven't told my wife yet, but I think some ribs might be in order for today. Seems counterproductive to be working in the backyard without having an egg fired up. Two birds, one stone...
I've been reading the Kamado thread and not getting much out of it. Other than the BGE is there anything comparable that is less $? I did see that you don't recommend the Akorn.

I've been reading the Kamado thread and not getting much out of it. Other than the BGE is there anything comparable that is less $? I did see that he dint recommend the Akorn.
The akorn is cheap for a reason. Any ceramic cooker would be preferable over a steel one. They hold and transmit heat better and outside of a freak accident will last much longer. From what I've read, some of the cheaper ceramic grills have air leaks that make it hard to regulate the heat. There are some fixes for that problem that will still keep you under the price of a bge with the bells and whistles.

• Good Morning, D-Leagueans.
  • 63º in Johns Creek. Warm worn shirt on. Light rain on and off.
  • I have a bad cold. Crap.
  • Thread read and liked.
  • I miss FCC. Wondering.
  • #1 is gone. Working until 6:00.
  • Just got back from JR's with a sack of biscuits. Yum yum.
  • The 2 days off have been very nice.
  • Listening to old country on Willie's Roadhouse on Sirius.
  • That's it for now.
  • Enjoy your day off. Take care.

The akorn is cheap for a reason. Any ceramic cooker would be preferable over a steel one. They hold and transmit heat better and outside of a freak accident will last much longer. From what I've read, some of the cheaper ceramic grills have air leaks that make it hard to regulate the heat. There are some fixes for that problem that will still keep you under the price of a bge with the bells and whistles.
My first BGE was brown. A used one.

1987-Toyota-Supra-Turbo-front-quarter-620x411.jpg

I had one of these. 1987 Toyota Supra. It was badass. I caught a jumper in a little town just North of Birmingham using this car. He was driving a 4WD pickup, he took me through the back of his mother's farm through a slew full of mud. That little car was covered. I got that bastard just the same. The escapade did tear my emergency brake cable loose. That was my only damage.

I'm trying to post this pic of me and my grand from yesterday. The vehicle I'm driving her around in is a 1951 Willys Jeep our American Legion post restored. It's a real attention getter, and so is she!

s!ArrCnQNjfbLbhfBZRd4lgD19dj80vA

Well. I tried. Might have to move it to my Yahoo account and link it from there

I've been reading the Kamado thread and not getting much out of it. Other than the BGE is there anything comparable that is less $? I did see that you don't recommend the Akorn.
Jed are you just looking for a smoker or a smoker/grill? I've owned a BGE for nearly 20 years and I have no doubt that it'll probably last for at least another 20. If you just want a smoker then the Weber Bullet is a good alternative. Many BBQ competitors use them and the reviews are great. I personally don't have any experience with them, just what I've read. Much, much cheaper too.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT