ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

1957%20Chevrolet%20Bel%20Air%20CV%2019.jpg

Hey Don, those were the days. Muscle cars, haulin hay and cutting tobacco, planting beans and corn. Cleaning out fence rows. Meat, taters, maters, and beans to eat. Beer so cold it would hurt your teeth when consumed. FCC
My career in the tobacco business was a very short one. I had a few farmer friends from Ballard County. They had me way up high hanging just cut tobacco. That stuff was heavy and the ceiling was very high. Those farm boys worked hard. I was a city boy, but I know that farming is hard work.

• Going to a 16th birthday party for #5 tonight. He is the baby. It's hard to believe that they are all grown up now. No little ones. He was a 3 year old when mom died. Time does fly.
  • 50s music going. Re-living that part of my life through music. I lived American Grafitti. Paducah was just perfect to grow up in. I was very lucky to live there and grow up there.
  • What are y'all doing today?

My career in the tobacco business was a very short one. I had a few farmer friends from Ballard County. They had me way up high hanging just cut tobacco. That stuff was heavy and the ceiling was very high. Those farm boys worked hard. I was a city boy, but I know that farming is hard work.

My mom's family is from Bandana. Two of her brothers still live there. My granddaddy, papa, ran the pool hall there back in the late 50s.

Always liked the collar beam cause you would finish out first and then throw dirt dobbers nest at whoever was on the wagon. It was usually my best friend's dad. I can still hear him look up in the barn at me and say "goldilocks, you've got to come down sometime." Back then my hair was long and blonde, instead of silver and white as it is now. Those were the days. FCC.

Sure did, many times. Hey Don, there's talk about making Broadway and Jefferson two way all the way back to the flood wall again. FCC.
I raced Jerry Stevens one time there at 13th and Jefferson. He was in a new '63 Chevy Convertible 427. I beat him with my '61 Chevy 348 w/3 dueces. My car would really run.

Right now I'm just sitting here trying to get up gumption to do something
S'posed to go to Mom's apt today to continue helping - debating on cancelling

Disturbed by the lack of remembrances on FB; except for a few people, it seems like folks view it as just another day

Well, it was anything but that, wasn't it BKO. I was at the unemployment office at an interview. The lady that was interviewing me answered her phone and I still remember what she said. In a panicked voice she said to the caller, "We've got ourselves a real emergency don't we!" She hung up, looked at me and told me they were closing all government offices in Paducah. She was fighting back tears and I really didn't get it. When I got home though, Diana met me at the door and was talking 90 to nothing. I caught up in a hurry and ran the gambit of emotions. Still difficult to talk about. FCC.

I raced Jerry Stevens one time there at 13th and Jefferson. He was in a new '63 Chevy Convertible 427. I beat him with my '61 Chevy 348 w/3 dueces. My car would really run.

Is that the Jerry that was sheriff of Ballard County at one time? My junior year, we got in a big fight during the game with Ballard at LaCenter. He came in the dressing room and threatened to throw Coach Wright, Joe Owsley, and me in jail. I was dating a girl from Wickliffe.

Those three deuces would suck in the air man. FCC.

Well, it was anything but that, wasn't it BKO. I was at the unemployment office at an interview. The lady that was interviewing me answered her phone and I still remember what she said. In a panicked voice she said to the caller, "We've got ourselves a real emergency don't we!" She hung up, looked at me and told me they were closing all government offices in Paducah. She was fighting back tears and I really didn't get it. When I got home though, Diana met me at the door and was talking 90 to nothing. I caught up in a hurry and ran the gambit of emotions. Still difficult to talk about. FCC.
I was at work, of course, and watched it happen live. It was just unbelievable that we could let that happen. But it sure as **** happened.

Is that the Jerry that was sheriff of Ballard County at one time? My junior year, we got in a big fight during the game with Ballard at LaCenter. He came in the dressing room and threatened to throw Coach Wright, Joe Owsley, and me in jail. I was dating a girl from Wickliffe.

Those three deuces would suck in the air man. FCC.
The Jerry Stevens that I speak of is the one whose daddy owned Stevens Chevrolet. Good kid. Nice looking. I think he had some sort of tragic accident involving a train later on. I'm not sure.

The Jerry Stevens that I speak of is the one whose daddy owned Stevens Chevrolet. Good kid. Nice looking. I think he had some sort of tragic accident involving a train later on. I'm not sure.

I bought my '69 camero from them. $3,200 brand new, loaded. Maybe it was Jack that was the sheriff and I think I remember the train accident vaguely. FCC.

Great stories you two juvenile delinquents.

real-life-juvenile-delinquents.jpg

(actual photo of FCC and Don after 10th arrest)
My daddy would not have tolerated a scene like this. He would have literally kicked my azz all the way to next week for doing something to get arrested for. I never did get caught for outlaw drag racing, and if I had ever been caught, the police would have just written a ticket. It was different back then, plus, they knew all of us. Rudolph was a state trooper. He was a pain in the azz for us.

My daddy would not have tolerated a scene like this. He would have literally kicked my azz all the way to next week for doing something to get arrested for. I never did get caught for outlaw drag racing, and if I had ever been caught, the police would have just written a ticket. It was different back then, plus, they knew all of us. Rudolph was a state trooper. He was a pain in the azz for us.

Yea, Creston Rudolph gave me a ticket for riding my motorcycle when I was 14. Funny thing Don. After he retired from the KSP he did some snow removal for some of the businesses in Paducah, one being a bank I worked for and as I was in charge of the buildings and grounds. I got him under contract to clean a couple of our parking lots of snow.

Called him at 4am to have the lots clean by 7am. He bit off more than he could chew and couldn't get them all done by 7. So I told him we would have to get someone else to do the work. He tried to talk me out of it, just to have me call his hand, reminding him that he didn't get finished until 9am on a particular morning. Sorry Mr. Rudolph. Pay backs are heck. Still laugh at that one, thought you would too Don. FCC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT