ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

choo-choo-train-images-train.jpg

I've actually started thinking last night about that handicapped dude Jason posted about earlier - that guy that can't take care of himself, can't clean up after himself - what would that guy do if he had my health and ability? What should I be doing right now, what things am I taking for granted and what abilities and opportunities am I squandering away?

That clock, it's always ticking.

Gulp

Funny-Scared-Old-Man.jpg

I think about stuff like that a lot.

My daughter was born 10 weeks premature. Some of the days blur together, but maybe her second night, we were woken up by a physician that started telling us that our daughter's right lung had collapsed. She told us all the interventions that they had tried. It felt like the build up to telling us that she had died. She did not die, but had to have a large needle stuck into her to relieve the pressure.

On day 4/5 we got the results of a head ultrasound. We were told that there was a possible grade IV intraventricular hemorrhage (brain bleed). This usually indicates that cerebral palsy lies ahead. A few days later, the scan was repeated and we were told that things were normal (what had been seen on the original scan was a 'normal anatomical difference').

Fast forward a few years to our daughter in kindergarten. A little girl in her class, Anna, is special needs. She is mostly confined to a wheelchair and has an aide with her all day. Then I realized that I knew Anna's mom from somewhere. Anna's mom was one of my daughter's nurses when she was in the NICU.

I'm in and out of the hospital every day. I often walk past the orthopedic dept. You see the families that have those kids strapped into the special wheelchairs.

Anyways, enough of all that shit talk.

Without apologies, seeing (or reading about) children suffering breaks my heart and usually brings tears to my eyes..

When people ask me how I'm doing, I often say, "Better than I deserve." I try to count my blessings and realize it could always be worse. Talking about the children prompted me to say that. I have 5 beautiful children that are all healthy. Very thankful.

Hope all are having a good Friday. Don't forget mothers day. Pretty sure we all have had one. FCC.

I think about stuff like that a lot.

My daughter was born 10 weeks premature. Some of the days blur together, but maybe her second night, we were woken up by a physician that started telling us that our daughter's right lung had collapsed. She told us all the interventions that they had tried. It felt like the build up to telling us that she had died. She did not die, but had to have a large needle stuck into her to relieve the pressure.

On day 4/5 we got the results of a head ultrasound. We were told that there was a possible grade IV intraventricular hemorrhage (brain bleed). This usually indicates that cerebral palsy lies ahead. A few days later, the scan was repeated and we were told that things were normal (what had been seen on the original scan was a 'normal anatomical difference').

Fast forward a few years to our daughter in kindergarten. A little girl in her class, Anna, is special needs. She is mostly confined to a wheelchair and has an aide with her all day. Then I realized that I knew Anna's mom from somewhere. Anna's mom was one of my daughter's nurses when she was in the NICU.

I'm in and out of the hospital every day. I often walk past the orthopedic dept. You see the families that have those kids strapped into the special wheelchairs.

Heavy and thought-provoking post right there.

In Isaiah it says one day there won't be anyone that says "I am sick".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT