ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Mav...I'm going to speak up here because apparently nobody else has the nads to do so. I guess the pink bunny suit and weaponry cache freaks them out a bit too much. But I give no effs.

Anyway...here it is...if you aren't drinking Kopi Luwak then it doesn't matter how you brew it up. Suck it up and go for broke. Go big or go home.

At $160 a pound, it has been billed in recent years as the most expensive, exotic and perhaps disquieting of brews. Kopi Luwak is made from coffee beans that have been eaten - and excreted - by the palm civet cat of Indonesia.

Soooo...if you aint drinking Indonesian cat shit coffee then you're doing it wrong. Just go back to drinking that piss water you call "Mountain Dew".

Thanks, FCC. All is good in ATX. It's been really warm around here lately. We're running a 3-inch rainfall deficit so far this year. Hoping for some rain next Sunday-Monday.

In other news, Longhorns Men BB beat Huggy-Bear's WV Mountaineers last night at home. Good stuff.
Watched parts of that in between the USC Missouri game. Don't tell anyone, but the Big 12 is overrated.

Only 33 here this morning, maybe the warmer weather is just west of here.

Have a good one.

Drank some W 6th Amber the other night at a party. Local brew from funkyland country. Good stuff.

I have known about W 6th Brewery for a long time (seems like ATC sings their praises from time to time)...just never tried any of their brews. That amber is top notch.
Glad to hear it. I tried W 6th porter last year and thought highly thereof. Hope to sample a few more from that brewery in about 60 days from now, amber style included.

@maverick1 Aeropress makes a primo cup of Joe. The best this side of pourover or siphoning. You'll get flavor nuances unlike anything- but you'll need good beans and a great grinder.

The kicker is an aeropress is like $30!

I'm too lazy for it. Check out Www.seattlecoffeegear.com for extremely informative and hypnotically annoying vids.

I truly want this:

http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/coffeemakers/ottomatic.html
Kooky, thanks for the tip about Aeropress. I formerly owned a great Braun coffee grinder back in the 80s. May get another.

Have seen Chemex, but the price for that particular unit (Ottomatic) scares me off. Seriously looking at a Classic Chemex.

By the way, I'm a huge fan of minimalist glassware and own a decent Simax collection.

Being a snot, I only use Stumptown and Intelligentsia beans- as they roast them three days prior to sale then pull unused beans over 2weeks old.

My grinder is a Mazzer.

Only buy a burr grinder with larger components. Stick to Italian grinders and you'll be fine.

Being a snot, I only use Stumptown and Intelligentsia beans- as they roast them three days prior to sale then pull unused beans over 2weeks old.

My grinder is a Mazzer.

Only buy a burr grinder with larger components. Stick to Italian grinders and you'll be fine.

Yeah but have those beans traveled through the bowels of an Indonesian cat?

Learn coffee beans.

I'm cool with an Italian grinder though. Dated one back in college for a minute. She was a wild freak. Good times.

Word. I need a looooong walk.

I caught John short on the evening 630 show with Dick Gabriel. Dick speaks to him like a normal adult, whereas Matt speaks to him like a child. John usually just laughs and stutters a bit when MJ does this. I thought that was interesting how different the interactions were, and how differently John responded when spoken to like an adult opposed to a child. Anyway, he and Dick had a real good conversation about something I forget, but I was just fascinated at the adult John Short that I haven't heard before.

Word. I need a looooong walk.

I caught John short on the evening 630 show with Dick Gabriel. Dick speaks to him like a normal adult, whereas Matt speaks to him like a child. John usually just laughs and stutters a bit when MJ does this. I thought that was interesting how different the interactions were, and how differently John responded when spoken to like an adult opposed to a child. Anyway, he and Dick had a real good conversation about something I forget, but I was just fascinated at the adult John Short that I haven't heard before.
Did he say anything about how many big'uns we'd win by?

My grinder is a Mazzer.

Is stump town big in nyc? My buddy in Portland managed one of the stores there.

I was thinking about getting a smoker (BGE or similar, not a nasty dragon lady). As a beginner, would you recommend going right to the BGE or should I start out easier with an electric smoker? I'm a food simpleton. Don't drink coffee. Electric oven, microwave, & gas grill.
I know this sounds silly, but I normally drink coffee on weekends or while traveling and visiting relatives. Usually drink hot tea during the week before work. Lately, since after the new year, I've been drinking coffee at work for the caffeine.

What a welcome buzz! My co-workers constantly tell me to shut up because coffee turns me from an introvert into an extrovert. Heh.

I was thinking about getting a smoker (BGE or similar, not a nasty dragon lady). As a beginner, would you recommend going right to the BGE or should I start out easier with an electric smoker? I'm a food simpleton. Don't drink coffee. Electric oven, microwave, & gas grill.
Here's the thing... You can get a Weber Kettle and get amazing results. It's $300 cheaper than a (L)BGE...

BUT: to get amazing results you have to work TWICE as hard for long cooks. The egg maintains its temps beautifully and retains MOISTURE.

For the extra cost of 3 destroyed briskets, the Egg pays for itself. TMFS.

Here's the difference between a Tennessean (me) and a South Cackalackian (co-worker). 10 am. 60 degrees in downtown Chucktown. Me, shirtsleeves only polo shirt and khakis. Her, a GD fur-lined parka with the hood pulled over her head. One guess on who said "I'll be glad when spring gets here".

SIXTY degrees, folks. SIXTY. Just SMH.

Godzilla was part of a gang rape by other reptiles on a tree trunk and some bark fell off an just laid there in the dirt until one day a fair maiden squatted over it and took a dump. Nine months later the tree bark and maiden crap exploded open and an ugly human baby emerged and a stork swooped down and carried it to a hospital and placed into a new borns crib. That is as good a reason as any of how Jerry the Turd got into this world.

Science Break:

Glowing like a blue light bulb this young star, known as HD 97300, lights up a nearby cloud of dust and gas particles, creating a "reflection nebula." The reflection nebula featured in the image is called IC 2631. IC 2631 is the brightest nebula in the Chamaeleon Complex, a large region of gas and dust clouds that harbors numerous newborn and still-forming stars. This complex lies about 500 light-years away in the southern constellation of Chamaeleon.
HD-97300-star.jpg

This region is abundant in star-forming material. Some of this material is apparent in dark nebulae, which are gas and dust clouds that are so dense that starlight can't pass through them. In the image, dark nebulae are visible above and below IC 2631.

HD 97300 looks impressively bright now, but its glory days won't last forever. HD 97300 is in the "T Tauri" phase — the youngest stage for small stars. T Tauri stars have not yet begun to fuse hydrogen into helium in their cores, as main sequence stars such as the sun do; rather, they generate heat from contraction. HD 97300 will be significantly smaller and dimmer when it reaches stellar adulthood and joins the main sequence group.

Here's the difference between a Tennessean (me) and a South Cackalackian (co-worker). 10 am. 60 degrees in downtown Chucktown. Me, shirtsleeves only polo shirt and khakis. Her, a GD fur-lined parka with the hood pulled over her head. One guess on who said "I'll be glad when spring gets here".

SIXTY degrees, folks. SIXTY. Just SMH.
At 60° up here a lot of people will be in shorts and t-shirts. Of course when it hits 80°, Iowans complain about the miserable heat.

Yeah, well, let's just say that my palate is, uhhhh, a little more "refined" than the average plebe's. As such, I require a particularly robust, yet nuanced, blend/roast/grind/extraction to achieve fulfillment -- but hey, that's just me. YMMV.
I picture you drinking said coffee while getting a pedicure and a facial.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT