ADVERTISEMENT

Could Travis Perry be what many thought Reed would be?

Mar 30, 2024
Now hear me out, I’m not saying they are similar players…I’m talking impact. Reed was an amazing player, and Perry won’t ever be at his athletic level. However, we could get Perry for 4 years. He could warm the bench this season, but if he’s better than some think, he may contribute this year. Regardless, he could be a more valuable piece to our program in the long run since he likely will never be drafted. Reed was great, but he was almost too talented. Like many other freshmen, we get to see his best days in the NBA after one year at UK. I’m always excited about great shooters…I just hope Perry has the athletic ability and other skills to be a SEC contributor. He may end up with the career many thought Reed would have when he first came here. Just a random thought on a boring summer day.

Last edited:
Not a longshot to think Travis may become a better college player in time. He’s a talent and combining that with his work effort and calm winning bball iq he’s got a high ceiling. He will eventually be a coach on the floor. Great attitude. Humble and willing to learn. Deameanor wise reminds me of Kyle Macy.

I hope Perry has a similar career to a player named Kyle Guy who played HS in Indiana and went to college at Virginia. He was 6-2 175 about the same size 6-1 178 and style of play as Perry. Guy only played about 18 mph and avg about 7 PPG as a frosh. As a Soph he was over 30 mpg doubled his scoring to 14 PPG and Virginia won the ACC reg and conf tourny and got a #1 seed in NCAA T but lost in first round. As a Junior they won the whole thing and he got F4 mop, all NCAA region, ACC t mop
Etc. I think Perry could easily have a career at UK like this and go down as a legend. I think he plays this year but he's just another cog in the machine but as a Soph he explodes in minutes and points and we have a great team.

We know he’s an elite shooter. I’m interested to see how well he can defend. And if the answer is not so well, how willing/able is he to improve?

Reactions: Fox2monk
Not a longshot to think Travis may become a better college player in time. He’s a talent and combining that with his work effort and calm winning bball iq he’s got a high ceiling. He will eventually be a coach on the floor. Great attitude. Humble and willing to learn. Deameanor wise reminds me of Kyle Macy.
I don’t think he will be a better player but he may end up impacting Kentucky more from a winning standpoint over many years. I hope he ends up with a better legacy, like Jeff did vs Reed.

• Love
Reactions: storm1507 and deep3
Now hang on just one cotton pickin minute here. We indulged, nay, encouraged the parade of Eastern KY mountain boys.

This kid is from Western KY Region 1 and I’m gonna cheer like hell for him. And if his last name were Macy or Chapman, you would too!

We're not playing AAU street ball anymore. We have an actual system that allows less athletic, more skilled, players like Perry to thrive.
An important point, I think. Calipari left players like Perry out of the mix because their talent wasn't a ready fit for the pro game. Other coaches find ways to use players like Perry. Like, say, the Oakland coach who had a team full of them. [Perry may be better than any of the Oakland kids.] 2 to 4 years of experience and development and who knows? As Father Divine said, 'you got to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative.'

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT