ADVERTISEMENT

Comet

Feb 9, 2011
Comet C/2023A3 Tsuchinshan-ATLAS, a rare, once-in-a-lifetime comet visible once every 80,000

I probably won't get to see it again.

It should be getting higher in the sky as the month goes on and harder to see.

Hmmmm - this might just be the "in" I need, to justify buying this 8 inch Schmidt- Cassegrain scope, to the wife. LOL

Do NOT look at the price. 😆 😆

18677cf6-9275-42ce-9fcf-e63c18958a2a.jpg

Hmmmm - this might just be the "in" I need, to justify buying this 8 inch Schmidt- Cassegrain scope, to the wife. LOL

Do NOT look at the price. 😆 😆

18677cf6-9275-42ce-9fcf-e63c18958a2a.jpg
Nice rig. I have the Edge 8 myself but it's currently sitting on the Explore Scientific 2 mount. The wife has given me the thumbs up to go ahead and get a Go-To mount for it. I do have to say I like the TW2 because I can put the Edge 8 and the ES 80 on the same mount. I love the Edge 8 but that ES 80 really produces clean sharp views of the stars.

Any of you all ever owned/used one of those enormous Dobsonian light bucket rigs?

I'm still using an ancient Meade ETX90

Any of you all ever owned/used one of those enormous Dobsonian light bucket rigs?
No, not me but one thing I would like to get, I think they're made in Germany, darkens the night sky and you can see a lot more. I heard about it on a UFO podcast of all things. There was a guy on there that said if you get these you'll see a lot more stars and lights in the sky. Sort of like the 1970s sky that I grew up with.

Last edited:
Holy crap. You'd think that if you're spending 2200 dollars on a telescope that they'd throw the tripod in.

Nope... LOL
It's a hobby that can be had for a modest amount of money to crazy dollar amounts...just like any hobby.

If you want Bang-for-the-Buck, this isn't a bad option for <$700

ES_DOB1045C_1_e06a0dea-0611-4338-b438-42898e25029b_950x950.jpg

It's not Go-To like the one you posted above but it pulls in quite a bit of light for you.

Nice rig. I have the Edge 8 myself but it's currently sitting on the Explore Scientific 2 mount. The wife has given me the thumbs up to go ahead and get a Go-To mount for it. I do have to say I like the TW2 because I can put the Edge 8 and the ES 80 on the same mount. I love the Edge 8 but that ES 80 really produces clean sharp views of the stars.
---
You'll love the GOTO mount. With decent polar alignment, it'll easily put objects in the eyepiece field of view.

Also, aperture fever is real. I went from a Celestron 9.25, to a 11 inch EdgeHD & finally a 14 inch EdgeHD. The big scope sits on a permanently mounted Losmandy Titan mount. Scope & mount together weigh around 275 pounds. For lunar, planetary & wide-field observing, I've got a Telescope Engineering Company 140mm f/7 APO. The optical quality of that scope is incredible.

You all, with your fancy motor drives and star software.

Observing the wonders of the universe should be done the RIGHT way. And that means hours of miserable frustration, in the middle of a cold, god forsaken pasture, and ruining everyone's mood before you just point the f***ing scope at the moon, and tell the kids to shut up and stare at THAT for an hour, while you go to the car to try and find that flask you brought.

Crab Nebula my ass...

To HK's point...

My best friend was/is a physics guy (worked on his PhD before going to law school - what a terrible decision re: law school). Anyway, he has a giant assed 10" newtonian he has had for years. I called him when i ordered this new telescope to get his thoughts (compromise on light intake for portability was the ultimate decision maker so i could take kids out to gorge, LBL, other dark places this winter, etc.). I asked him if he would come out. He said he couldn't allow us to flounder around in the dark trying to find stuff, so he would come, too. I asked him if he needed handwarmers since i had a box (for sports). He said his excitement would keep him warm. lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT