ADVERTISEMENT

Comet

Feb 9, 2011
Comet C/2023A3 Tsuchinshan-ATLAS, a rare, once-in-a-lifetime comet visible once every 80,000

I probably won't get to see it again.

It should be getting higher in the sky as the month goes on and harder to see.

Hmmmm - this might just be the "in" I need, to justify buying this 8 inch Schmidt- Cassegrain scope, to the wife. LOL

Do NOT look at the price. 😆 😆

18677cf6-9275-42ce-9fcf-e63c18958a2a.jpg

Hmmmm - this might just be the "in" I need, to justify buying this 8 inch Schmidt- Cassegrain scope, to the wife. LOL

Do NOT look at the price. 😆 😆

18677cf6-9275-42ce-9fcf-e63c18958a2a.jpg
Nice rig. I have the Edge 8 myself but it's currently sitting on the Explore Scientific 2 mount. The wife has given me the thumbs up to go ahead and get a Go-To mount for it. I do have to say I like the TW2 because I can put the Edge 8 and the ES 80 on the same mount. I love the Edge 8 but that ES 80 really produces clean sharp views of the stars.

Any of you all ever owned/used one of those enormous Dobsonian light bucket rigs?

I'm still using an ancient Meade ETX90

Any of you all ever owned/used one of those enormous Dobsonian light bucket rigs?
No, not me but one thing I would like to get, I think they're made in Germany, darkens the night sky and you can see a lot more. I heard about it on a UFO podcast of all things. There was a guy on there that said if you get these you'll see a lot more stars and lights in the sky. Sort of like the 1970s sky that I grew up with.

Last edited:
Holy crap. You'd think that if you're spending 2200 dollars on a telescope that they'd throw the tripod in.

Nope... LOL
It's a hobby that can be had for a modest amount of money to crazy dollar amounts...just like any hobby.

If you want Bang-for-the-Buck, this isn't a bad option for <$700

ES_DOB1045C_1_e06a0dea-0611-4338-b438-42898e25029b_950x950.jpg

It's not Go-To like the one you posted above but it pulls in quite a bit of light for you.

Reactions: HymanKaplan
One last thing before I call it a night. The best telescope for anyone is the scope that you will actually use...so bigger isn't always better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT