ADVERTISEMENT

College basketball world on display this weekend

For rich fans yes.How about having a home and home instead so more fans could afford to go?
Yeah we should have more home and homes, but now we have the Zags one coming up. Regardless, the London game against a high profile team is surely not a stupid idea.

Cal loves folks that believe him that these tourneys hold no value.

Teams flock to these things for some reason. Cal would have played the Russian National team inside the Cremlin at one time with Russian refs.

I dont care if it's Cal or whoever else. I just don't care if UK plays them or not. If I did care I would want them to play it in Maui. I would try to get tickets so the wife and I could go, watch some UK games, then go spend a few days playing golf. I certainly never once said the holiday tournament games have no value for the team. Only for myself.

Random neutral site games are not as much fun or exciting as holiday tournaments. If you don’t know the difference, then I suspect you might be too young to remember.
That's the whole problem, there in your last sentence. It was years ago. College basketball isn't the same and the fun level isn't either. Maui was a blast in the 90's because college basketball was and it was a time we will never get back

Reactions: UK90
I'd love for UK to play in Maui so I'd have an excuse to go back to Kapalua and play at the Bay and Plantation courses.

The rest I couldn't care less about. UK is playing Gonzaga, UM, MSU, UCLA, and KU this season. They don't need these tournaments to play great competition.
That’s not the entire point though. Today college basketball is dominated by tv revenue and shoe companies. A significant number of people are off work this week and that is why there are so many of these tournaments. The three biggest are the two Phil Knight (Nike) and the Maui.

The broadcasters and sponsors (Nike) want quality teams there. The teams that routinely play in these are going to get heavily promoted and seen. Outside of March Madness, this is as close to late December quality bowl games and atmosphere as you are going to get. If UK is the gold standard, they should be there.

Yeah we should have more home and homes, but now we have the Zags one coming up. Regardless, the London game against a high profile team is surely not a stupid idea.
Could have still played in one of these tourneys this week and played the London game too.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I dont care if it's Cal or whoever else. I just don't care if UK plays them or not. If I did care I would want them to play it in Maui. I would try to get tickets so the wife and I could go, watch some UK games, then go spend a few days playing golf. I certainly never once said the holiday tournament games have no value for the team. Only for myself.
Fair point. This team needs more in game play imo.

That's the whole problem, there in your last sentence. It was years ago. College basketball isn't the same and the fun level isn't either. Maui was a blast in the 90's because college basketball was and it was a time we will never get back
Yeah, the Maui game with Creighton ans Ark was boring. Gimme a break.

I’ve said this all week. What a shame. PK Invitational, Battle For Atlantis, Maui Invitational and we have FAU and Bellarmine. Can’t forget to mention that Calipari raves about how good Bellarmine because he’s afraid we will get beat.

Some great tournaments on but I just can't get enough of these football rivalry games. Add in the World Cup and you've got an incredible sports weekend. Something for everyone.
One of the best sports weekends there are. College football and basketball. Pro football.

Alas, Kentucky is not a part of it in basketball at all. Seems odd for the Gold Standard.

• Love
One of the best sports weekends there are. College football and basketball. Pro football.

Alas, Kentucky is not a part of it in basketball at all. Seems odd for the Gold Standard.
Yep wish we were in one of these holiday tournaments instead of North Florida and Bellarmine a week apart.

At least we get to whip up on some Dirty Birds tomorrow!

Cal thinks his opinion is fact a lot. I know that was portrayed as a reason. Still thinks it looks weak and not sure how refusing to play helps the situation.
Agreed. I don't know if the entire truth will ever come out. I could certainly see Nike doing that but, I could just as easily see Calipari making it up to suit his crazy reasons for never playing in holiday tournaments.

Reactions: Cawood86
My understanding is that the PK thing was because Calipari thought that Nike was funneling recruits to Dook and away from UK. And we all know how Calipari holds a grudge.
Whether that is true or not is anyone's guess. But, apparently Calipari thinks it's true.
That’s his narcissism showing through. Narcissistic people never accept blame. He didn’t want to accept the fact that coach K was kicking his ass on the recruiting trail so he blamed it on Phil Knight

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
Agreed. I don't know if the entire truth will ever come out. I could certainly see Nike doing that but, I could just as easily see Calipari making it up to suit his crazy reasons for never playing in holiday tournaments.
The latter sounds about right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT