ADVERTISEMENT

College basketball world on display this weekend

Hasn’t it been this way for 13 plus year now?

I’m guessin some here are too young to remember it, but Thanksgiving week used to be a really fun time for UK basketball (especially in the Maui years). But the Cal era has turned it into the dead zone.

Except Kentucky. Teams balling out. Playing excellent competition.

Meanwhile Cal's home petting his dogs and feasting on cupcakes. What a missed opportunity. Just bizarre.
Michigan state, Gonzaga, Michigan, ucla , Kansas.

That’s the non conference schedule. It’s a banger. There’s a lot of things to be unhappy about with the team. But the schedule isn’t one of them. Just bizarre

That’s the non conference schedule. It’s a banger. There’s a lot of things to be unhappy about with the team. But the schedule isn’t one of them. Just bizarre
Random neutral site games are not as much fun or exciting as holiday tournaments. If you don’t know the difference, then I suspect you might be too young to remember.

There’s more to it. As these teams are gaining valuable experience playing the tournament format on back to back to back days we are handing out turkeys.
Cal would skip the SECT if he could.
Typical Cal would love to go into the NCAAT with his team being the only one having zero experience playing in a tournament format.

For a guy that preaches being cutting edge he is far behind in many areas.
His offense and opinion of tournaments are vastly outdated and both are showing subpar results for our once great program.

Ole Miss on now. Interesting that they added 4 mid-major DPOY transfers. But they turn it over a good bit themselves too.

Random neutral site games are not as much fun or exciting as holiday tournaments. If you don’t know the difference, then I suspect you might be too young to remember.

I agree with the other guy. Playing 3 games in 3 days is dumb and not good practice for the NCAA tournament.

If we were playing in the Maui our fans would be bitching because 3 of those games listed above weren't on the schedule.

Our fans are only bitching because we lose too many important ( and unimportant ) games on the schedule . Period . But yes by all means I looked forward to this week most of my life .. staying up late tonight watching Tourney games , seeing either us or new teams play .. The Alaska trips , Maui etc etc .. fun times , back when were relevant .

Has nothing to do with the overall schedule. It’s the excitement of being in a holiday classic where you get 3 games in 3 days. Some competition will be better than others but it sure beats sitting on your ass at home playing N Florida and bellarmine over a weeks stretch while the rest of the college basketball world is on prime time showcasing their games and getting their players valuable tournament atmosphere experience.

I can say without a doubt that one of the worst things Cal has done to our program is 86 all of the holiday tourneys. It was always so much fun watching these. Now, not so much. We are sitting at home while most of the other big boys are showing up and out. Figure Cal just knows we would be losing most of these games so he doesn’t want to mess with it.

I agree with the other guy. Playing 3 games in 3 days is dumb and not good practice for the NCAA tournament.

If we were playing in the Maui our fans would be bitching because 3 of those games listed above weren't on the schedule.
You know, not every damn thing is about preparing for the NCAA tournament. The CBB season should be about more than just the tournament at the end. Otherwise, what’s the point in even paying attention before March?

Participating in the holiday tournaments was cool because it was just a lot of fun. It made the early season far more entertaining and enjoyable for the fans. Winning Maui gave us something to celebrate in November …and something to feel good about even if things don’t go right in March. What’s wrong with that?

I can say without a doubt that one of the worst things Cal has done to our program is 86 all of the holiday tourneys. It was always so much fun watching these. Now, not so much. We are sitting at home while most of the other big boys are showing up and out. Figure Cal just knows we would be losing most of these games so he doesn’t want to mess with it.

What a hall of famer.

• Sad
Reactions: BBUK and Cawood86
Except Kentucky. Teams balling out. Playing excellent competition.

Meanwhile Cal's home petting his dogs and feasting on cupcakes. What a missed opportunity. Just bizarre.
In Cals defense. Do you really think he would wanna miss a Thanksgiving meal? ESPN names this feast week. Cal didn't think they meant basketball. He thought he was suppose to gorge himself at the dinner table all week.

I agree the schedule is much better this year.

I don’t think it is necessarily the schedule regarding opponents as much as it the scheduling. Cal has changed the scheduling approach in some odd ways. Fans absolutely love these Thanksgiving tournaments and Cal avoids them like the plague. The actual timing of games is very different as well with some odd times making it difficult for out of town fans to get to games. UK can’t play a game in Louisville or Cincy for the fans but can go to London?

When UK was in a Thanksgiving week tournament it was a blast watching. Now UK fans watch these to pull against UNC, Duke, etc., versus going all in with UK.

Honestly, I can’t wait until he’s gone. Not long ago, I thought he could be a top 2-3 coach nationally. Since that time, he’s proven he’s not gonna be anywhere close to that.
Gotta unload Barney first or who knows who he ll hire.

Has nothing to do with the overall schedule. It’s the excitement of being in a holiday classic where you get 3 games in 3 days. Some competition will be better than others but it sure beats sitting on your ass at home playing N Florida and bellarmine over a weeks stretch while the rest of the college basketball world is on prime time showcasing their games and getting their players valuable tournament atmosphere experience.
Instead, when Gonzaga and Michigan State are playing, EVERY announcer is talking about UK losing to them. That is the only exposure UK got this week unless you wanted to watch a STREAMED game against a poor quality opponent.

Aww. I’m sorry you don’t get to have as much fun. If it wasn’t the schedule it would be something else. Y’all just constantly crying. Btw I’m not young. I’m just not a crybaby.

Play in London next weekend against Michigan. It's not like UK isn't playing "special" games. Just not this weekend. Last weekend they went to play Gonzaga in Spokane. It might not be a holiday tournament, but there is still top notch competition on the schedule.

Playing in London is stupid.People don't give a crap about basketball there.
Gives the team and fans a great opportunity to travel abroad and showcase basketball in a big time matchup in a place where it isnt often. That is "fun" for the fans and the players right?

Reactions: ukjenning44
Another underrated factor is exposure.

It’s well known that college basketball viewership is on decline and peaks during March. The holiday tournaments are the other high point bc most people are home and off work and binging sports.

Not participating in these multiple games a week holiday tournaments is a missed opportunity to promote the brand on a national stage and remain a prominent forefront though when ppl think CBB. Every other national brand team is playing, meanwhile we are sitting at home playing nobodies w only a regional audience actually tuning in (or stream only games).

Some will laugh and say “we will always be a prominent thought when CBB is brought up” but Indiana thought that at one point too. You lose that by not being at the forefront on all the sports main events over decades. And currently, these tournaments (PK, Maui, Bahamas) are one of CBB main events….and we don’t participate

It's funny that I don't see Dook, UNCheat, Kansas, etc. all sitting home refusing to play in holiday tournaments. Calipari really is some kind of otherworldly genius I guess. Being the lone elite program not playing in a holiday tournament will certainly pay huge dividends when the NCAA tourney rolls around.
Oh, wait.....

I think that is part of it. Truly do. He's gone from "bring it on" to "I miss my dogs"

Play in London next weekend against Michigan. It's not like UK isn't playing "special" games. Just not this weekend. Last weekend they went to play Gonzaga in Spokane. It might not be a holiday tournament, but there is still top notch competition on the schedule.
This week of games has NCAAT feel to it. A game in London is fine, but if he can travel thst far, he can get in these tourneys.

It's funny that I don't see Dook, UNCheat, Kansas, etc. all sitting home refusing to play in holiday tournaments. Calipari really is some kind of otherworldly genius I guess. Being the lone elite program not playing in a holiday tournament will certainly pay huge dividends when the NCAA tourney rolls around.
Oh, wait.....
He refused the Phil Knight tourney too. He's just a shell of himself. Completely lost that fire.

He refused the Phil Knight tourney too. He's just a shell of himself. Completely lost that fire.
My understanding is that the PK thing was because Calipari thought that Nike was funneling recruits to Dook and away from UK. And we all know how Calipari holds a grudge.
Whether that is true or not is anyone's guess. But, apparently Calipari thinks it's true.

My understanding is that the PK thing was because Calipari thought that Nike was funneling recruits to Dook and away from UK. And we all know how Calipari holds a grudge.
Whether that is true or not is anyone's guess. But, apparently Calipari thinks it's true.
Cal thinks his opinion is fact a lot. I know that was portrayed as a reason. Still thinks it looks weak and not sure how refusing to play helps the situation.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
What are you talking about? We haven’t played in an early tournament in over 10 years. I think the last one we played was in 2010-2011 in Maui. The fans loved those early tournaments. Most of us anyway.

I'd love for UK to play in Maui so I'd have an excuse to go back to Kapalua and play at the Bay and Plantation courses.

The rest I couldn't care less about. UK is playing Gonzaga, UM, MSU, UCLA, and KU this season. They don't need these tournaments to play great competition.

What are you talking about? We haven’t played in an early tournament in over 10 years. I think the last one we played was in 2010-2011 in Maui. The fans loved those early tournaments. Most of us anyway.
Yep, 2010 was the last time, and that was only because it had already been scheduled before Cal became coach …thus he couldn’t get out of that one.

Before 2010, we went every chance we got.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Well I think cal knows his teams aren’t good in November. It’s probably for the best that we don’t play in some of these tournaments. Ah hell maybe it’s just me. I don’t watch any college basket outside of Kentucky. Especially not in November. It’s football season.

I'd love for UK to play in Maui so I'd have an excuse to go back to Kapalua and play at the Bay and Plantation courses.

The rest I couldn't care less about. UK is playing Gonzaga, UM, MSU, UCLA, and KU this season. They don't need these tournaments to play great competition.
Cal loves folks that believe him that these tourneys hold no value.

Teams flock to these things for some reason. Cal would have played the Russian National team inside the Cremlin at one time with Russian refs.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT