ADVERTISEMENT

College Basketball and the NBA

etowncatfan

All-SEC
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
multiple articles in the Courier Journal this morning on where College Basketball is headed. I didn’t agree with any of it. We have gotten away from what College Athletics is all about. Which is Colleges competing against other Colleges using Amateurs. College Athletics was not started for the Colleges or the Players to make money. It was about Academics and Sportsmanship. It was about getting your room and board and college paid for by playing sports. We have gotten so far off the tracks mainly because of GREED. Everyone is trying to Capitalize on it.
The main College Sports Football and Basketball have become a Cash Cow where CHEATING IS DEEMED ok as long as you don’t get caught. After reading those articles this morning,the solution is let’s go back to how it used to be. Let the High School phenoms go straight to the Pros. Let the Amateurs go play for Old State U. We would still have exciting games and players may actually go to class and get a degree without agents and shoe companies and posses lurking in the shadows. I know my thoughts on this are probably in the minority.

Reactions: CalipariCapo
Commissioner for the SEC, Greg Sankey, made some GREAT points in the interview he gave on Friday about this whole situation. If the powers that be are as forward looking and cautious as he is, there will not be a pay for play. He basically agreed with what you are saying.

The vast majority of universities lose money on athletics. How "play for pay" would work is beyond me. IIRC, fewer than two dozen athletics programs are totally self sustaining.

GBB!!!

Reactions: gojvc
The vast majority of universities lose money on athletics. How "play for pay" would work is beyond me. IIRC, fewer than two dozen athletics programs are totally self sustaining.

GBB!!!
I agree with your premise Eric,but Colleges have tons of Endowment money that they can fund Athletics with. On the flip side maybe you quit paying Coaches the ridiculous money that they are getting. Colleges have gone with the Nuclear Arms Race for too long!!

Reactions: shutzhund
Even if you let the 1AD guys go straight to the league, the mission of any good college player is going to be to go to the NBA or make a living playing basketball. Agents and shoe companies will still be lurking. They were highly involved before the 1AD rule ever came about.

Reactions: brianpoe
I'd love the baseball rule to happen. You either go pro straight out of high school for those in a rush to get paid or you go to college for 3 or more years and get the free education and all the benefits that come with it. I just don't like the idea of mixing pay for play with players that are supposed to be amateurs. I expect college sports to go downhill if the schools ever have to start paying the players. The COA probably already hurts some schools. Wait until they have to bid on players to sign them to stay competitive if it becomes a part of the rules.

Reactions: etowncatfan
As I've been saying and will continue to say, this is primarily an NBA and NFL issue. The NCAA has allowed themselves to be a farm system that the NBA and NFL do not have to pay for and operate. The NCAA needs to come out, flip the script, and stop allowing themselves to get steam rolled in the court of public opinion.

It's a real simple statement:

"The NCAA is not against players making money, all athletes who wish to be paid beyond scholarship and cost of living expenses should go make as much money as they want via the professional leagues. The NCAA does not have age requirements that prevent athletes from going pro, the NBA and NFL do. Both leagues have been using the NCAA as a proving ground and star factory at no expense to them and their billionaire owners. The professional leagues and their owners have the money and resources to create and cultivate a farm system that opens more avenues to players who would like to take a professional route rather than go to college."

Reactions: KyCatFan

GBB!!!
That was true up till about 2012, now with TV money all power 5 teams are good to go. Now the bb mid-majors are about 50/50 mainly because they don't have the football capabilities and lose some big time money being Division 2.
And the money schools and coaches are making off college sports shows that three is money that can be shared with the players. Hell assistant coaches are making 2 or 3 times what head coaches were making just 10-15 years ago. And head coaches are averaging 2-3 million in the P5 big sports, ( football, basketball ). So the " we can not afford it" argument is bs. More like we do not want to instead.

Reactions: etowncatfan
That was true up till about 2012, now with TV money all power 5 teams are good to go. Now the bb mid-majors are about 50/50 mainly because they don't have the football capabilities and lose some big time money being Division 2.
And the money schools and coaches are making off college sports shows that three is money that can be shared with the players. Hell assistant coaches are making 2 or 3 times what head coaches were making just 10-15 years ago. And head coaches are averaging 2-3 million in the P5 big sports, ( football, basketball ). So the " we can not afford it" argument is bs. More like we do not want to instead.

Not really, this very much a shell of an argument missing much of the true information.

The schools are not really the ones paying coaches that large compensation, it is their athletic associations and a large portion of a coach's total compensation comes in the form of bonuses and fees tied to coaches making media appearances, derived from sports apparel contracts, and from fundraising. Still more of the overall athletics budget is paid for by television contracts, etc., etc., and so on and so on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT