ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching staff screwed Reeves…..

Hard to follow .. so the story is Brady James wanted to offer AR a 100k NIL deal and he relayed that to someone on the staff , and that staff member took it to Cal , and Cal declined to pass the offer on to AR ? Sorry but the OP was hard to follow

Reactions: saxonburgcat
So they wanted to give Reeves $100k, Cal knew about it, refused to allow it and they had no way to speak to Antonio, his parents, manager, etc???

We are really believing all of those things happened? Like for real?

I have it from a good source that the guy really did this. Although his writing style was so confusing that the assistant coach thought he was asking for Reeves to pay HIM $100k. That is why it was ignored! I promise this is true. I never lie.

Reactions: bbncal02
I bet it did happen. Cal didn’t want reeves back bc he thought Wagner, Dilly, Edwards would be the backcourt and all 3 live uk to the hole. He didn’t play him Reeves last season until k juries forced him to feature him and then reeves took of (and so did our season turn around). Before that he was playing him minutes in the teens. Cal was likely already treating him like he wasn’t a Cat and didn’t pass the message…. Ya know “bc he cares about the kids and generational poverty”….no; he realized he couldn’t be the college GOAT coach and turned to only caring about who he sees as can add to his nba statistics.

Mitch needs to look into this, if it’s true, you fire Calipari immediately. Doesn’t get much dirtier than that.

Reactions: susan2361
I have suspected for a while, and there have been posters to say it, that Coach Cal doesn’t really care about players the way he flaunts it, just like he doesn’t care about the university or anything but himself. I remember when Reeves was really about to leave and it just seemed like there was no urgency to keep him because it appears Wagner and Edwards were promised the ball. Somehow he returned but I could see where Calipari wouldn’t want money not being given to his freshman OAD’s. It’s a hard thing to admit but I think there’s a reason so many people from officials to the NBA to other college teams now UK don’t like him. Even close friends like Robic don’t like him. If I think about it even his charity work seemed to be a bit self serving. Something is also weird about how he did nothing to help Wagner’s draft position. I guess he thought he’d eventually play well but I thought in week 5 he’d begin to hide his flaws instead of showing the scouts all of his weaknesses all game. Just a sad situation for a lot of people involved.

I just don’t believe that businesses go through assistant coaches to the head coach to facilitate NIL deals. Are we really to believe that UK doesn’t have someone or some department who specifically deals with NIL to make sure everything is on the up and up and the players have all the tax information they need? Like of course assistant coaches or the head coach are not the ones doing that. Also it wouldn’t you have some emails or some form of communication with official UK personnel to prove these offers at least?

I get this guy is well known for NIL, but don't NIL deals run through the players family and agents?

Basic google search came up with this:

The NCAA still has some rules regarding NIL compensation, which has ballooned into the millions for thousands of athletes. The schools themselves can't pay and school employees such as coaches and athletic department administrators can't be involved in the negotiation of NIL deals.

Reactions: UKgal82 and AGEE11
Basic google search came up with this:

The NCAA still has some rules regarding NIL compensation, which has ballooned into the millions for thousands of athletes. The schools themselves can't pay and school employees such as coaches and athletic department administrators can't be involved in the negotiation of NIL deals.

So, unless I am missing something, all the people who are calling for Cal to be fired over this, etc are actually complaining about Cal following the rules. Can anyone counter what I am getting out of this??

Wow. That sucks. I also must admit that this is the disgusting underbelly of NIL that I see why coaches are retiring because of. If this was an attempt to push Reeves out then it reinforces just how perverse Cal's system had become.
Which is insane because he was literally the piece that held this team together.

Reactions: crestcat
Pretty sure this guy does NIL stuff with players, someone might know more about him. Correct me if I’m wrong
Curious that he would post that on the non-basketball forum and not here where other basketball fans could discuss it with him. You and your "sources," SMH

I have suspected for a while, and there have been posters to say it, that Coach Cal doesn’t really care about players the way he flaunts it, just like he doesn’t care about the university or anything but himself. I remember when Reeves was really about to leave and it just seemed like there was no urgency to keep him because it appears Wagner and Edwards were promised the ball. Somehow he returned but I could see where Calipari wouldn’t want money not being given to his freshman OAD’s. It’s a hard thing to admit but I think there’s a reason so many people from officials to the NBA to other college teams now UK don’t like him. Even close friends like Robic don’t like him. If I think about it even his charity work seemed to be a bit self serving. Something is also weird about how he did nothing to help Wagner’s draft position. I guess he thought he’d eventually play well but I thought in week 5 he’d begin to hide his flaws instead of showing the scouts all of his weaknesses all game. Just a sad situation for a lot of people involved.
I’ve always had a suspicion that a lot of his charity work was to hide his failures here. Outside the natural disaster, most happened after a bad end to the year or something. A couple were prior to the year starting but that as back when he actually cared about winning a little. There is a lot about Cal that I think he acts one way but at the end of the day it’s all about serving him first and foremost. I know his ego is hurting because of how bad he’s been exposed these last 7 years on the court.

Reactions: 2StepShep
I just don’t believe that businesses go through assistant coaches to the head coach to facilitate NIL deals. Are we really to believe that UK doesn’t have someone or some department who specifically deals with NIL to make sure everything is on the up and up and the players have all the tax information they need? Like of course assistant coaches or the head coach are not the ones doing that. Also it wouldn’t you have some emails or some form of communication with official UK personnel to prove these offers at least?
No they don’t, the school can not be involved in those deals. I guarantee a lot of it happens where their reps pass info to coaches or staff and say talk to this dude. NIL is like the Wild West and with the schools not being able to assist there is no framework. That’s why so many kids get screwed out of money, and some kids take advantage and take money and don’t live up to their end of it.

Reactions: UKgal82
Something doesn’t seem right about this. I’m friends with the car dealer in Louisville and he was in touch personally with Reeves and his dad. He never goes through the coaching staff to get deals done with the players.
I'm a little leery about this claim also. Fortunately his parents are my son's neighbors in Hamburg. He talks with Antonio's people all the time. One thing I know is he has a great support group and his Dad is very involved in all things dealing with Antonio.

Reactions: UKgal82
That’s not negotiations though. This is a simple, hey Reeves we caught wind of a potential deal. Go talk to this dude.

As a former state cop I have to say that you gave me a good laugh with this idea. I've heard that defense in court more times than I can count. But in all seriousness, that is a dangerous path. If a coach is not to be involved in negotiations, then he should not be put in the middle.

This story simply has no credibility. If he is contacting coaches in order to contact a player, there is something nefarious going on.

This is on another thread on the Paddock under Gyero I believe if you want to see it. But the full story is below. Another reason Cal needs to go…….

“At the end of last season once he was the last senior left on the team(that hadn’t moved on yet). We made the decision to offer him 100k to return/sign autographs. He was trying to find other places to go. I wanted to make the offer. Contacted an assistant.

When they didn’t take us up on the offer we just figured Reeves declined. Later this year we found out he was never presented with the offer. When he was out on his own looking for small 5/10k deals to get by. Dropping 20 a night scrounging around for small deals when they had one. That would have helped all year live a pretty good senior year.

Can’t even imagine this season without Reeves now.”

What possible incentive would the coaching staff have to conceal that offer?

Cal’s been very clear from day 1 that he wants these kids to get rich, so that’s inherently contrary to what he says he about. And it’s clearly contrary to his own selfish personal interests as well.

That story just makes no logical sense to me at all.

Something doesn’t seem right about this. I’m friends with the car dealer in Louisville and he was in touch personally with Reeves and his dad. He never goes through the coaching staff to get deals done with the players.
I don't think that is at odds with the OP who said Reeves scraped around for 5 and 10K deals. The OP may have been doing it the way UK requires it to be done. I cannot imagine what kind of schnitt that a player could get the program into by going rogue and doing it through his dad. Look at UofL and dads boinking strippers.

I don't think that is at odds with the OP who said Reeves scraped around for 5 and 10K deals. The OP may have been doing it the way UK requires it to be done. I cannot imagine what kind of schnitt that a player could get the program into by going rogue and doing it through his dad. Look at UofL and dads boinking strippers.
The coaching stuff should never be involved in NIL deals. That's not what UK wants. NIL is supposed to be third party deals between an athlete and whoever is offering the deal. I think UK even has a directory that provides contact information for athletes who want deals so people offering deals can reach out to them. There is no reason to approach a coach about a deal for a player.

Reactions: ncaaky
To everyone here saying this didn't happen, or the guy isn't legit, you don't know what you're talking about.

Brady James is a legitimate businessman who has offered and will offer NIL deals to our athletes. The account is legitimate, as he has been on this site for many years. Generally, if one of the regulars is posting something in GYERO, it is 100% legitimate. They are not your run-of-the-mill shitposters that you see here in Rafters.

As a former state cop I have to say that you gave me a good laugh with this idea. I've heard that defense in court more times than I can count. But in all seriousness, that is a dangerous path. If a coach is not to be involved in negotiations, then he should not be put in the middle.

This story simply has no credibility. If he is contacting coaches in order to contact a player, there is something nefarious going on.
Well the facts are that dude is involved with a lot of UK players. He is very well know and respected on here so I have no reason to doubt his story. We also know that Reeves was 100% looking to leave UK over the summer and it was almost thought that he was gone. It all adds up.

The coaching stuff should never be involved in NIL deals. That's not what UK wants. NIL is supposed to be third party deals between an athlete and whoever is offering the deal. I think UK even has a directory that provides contact information for athletes who want deals so people offering deals can reach out to them. There is no reason to approach a coach about a deal for a player.
Interesting. Is that an NCAA rule or is that UK or is that Cal?

If I were the admin I would certainly want to know what kind of people are out there paying my players. Wow.

So the "Nate" NIL donor just said on KSR that he has an offer for a 7 figure NIL deal to a current UK player that has been ignored just like the 100,000 one for Antonio Reeves last year.

Interesting. Is that an NCAA rule or is that UK or is that Cal?

If I were the admin I would certainly want to know what kind of people are out there paying my players. Wow.
I'm not an expert on the process, so there are probably many things about the process I do not know about. That being said, I think UK requires the athlete to submit certain information about their deals so they can monitor if it violates any UK or NCAA rules. But anyone can contact a player about a deal. You don't contact the coaching staff about a deal.

I'm not an expert on the process, so there are probably many things about the process I do not know about. That being said, I think UK requires the athlete to submit certain information about their deals so they can monitor if it violates any UK or NCAA rules. But anyone can contact a player about a deal. You don't contact the coaching staff about a deal.
Apparently at UK it varies by program, because this donor said football and basketball the process is different.

Apparently at UK it varies by program, because this donor said football and basketball the process is different.
It’s different because of his competition. A 10k offer to a second string receiver with no other offers is a genuine donation. A 1 million offer to a top ten pick who is goi g to get paid a lot more from Panini or Topps/Fanatics is a different story. Why would basketball handle it the same way?

What possible incentive would the coaching staff have to conceal that offer?

Cal’s been very clear from day 1 that he wants these kids to get rich, so that’s inherently contrary to what he says he about. And it’s clearly contrary to his own selfish personal interests as well.

That story just makes no logical sense to me at all.
It makes perfect sense when you look at it like cal really only cares about his players who can play in the NBA or at least have the potential too. He wants them showcased at all cost (including sacrificing games and winning). Wagner and Edwards started every single game this year (when not injured) and played huge roles on UK’s team despite neither being productive all year (except for a game here and there). If not for bradshaws injury/late start I think the same would have held true for him. They would have made great bench/role players for any other coach in the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT