ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching staff screwed Reeves…..

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
This is on another thread on the Paddock under Gyero I believe if you want to see it. But the full story is below. Another reason Cal needs to go…….

“At the end of last season once he was the last senior left on the team(that hadn’t moved on yet). We made the decision to offer him 100k to return/sign autographs. He was trying to find other places to go. I wanted to make the offer. Contacted an assistant.

When they didn’t take us up on the offer we just figured Reeves declined. Later this year we found out he was never presented with the offer. When he was out on his own looking for small 5/10k deals to get by. Dropping 20 a night scrounging around for small deals when they had one. That would have helped all year live a pretty good senior year.

Can’t even imagine this season without Reeves now.”

This is on another thread on the Paddock under Gyero I believe if you want to see it. But the full quote is below. Another reason Cal needs to go…….

“At the end of last season once he was the last senior left on the team(that hadn’t moved on yet). We made the decision to offer him 100k to return/sign autographs. He was trying to find other places to go. I wanted to make the offer. Contacted an assistant.

When they didn’t take us up on the offer we just figured Reeves declined. Later this year we found out he was never presented with the offer. When he was out on his own looking for small 5/10k deals to get by. Dropping 20 a night scrounging around for small deals when they had one. That would have helped all year live a pretty good senior year.

If the guy can't write in plain English, why would I believe him?

This is on another thread on the Paddock under Gyero I believe if you want to see it. But the full story is below. Another reason Cal needs to go…….

That is insane. No wonder he wanted to leave. Reeves got screwed all year. No help in the postseason, no AA recognition. He was the best player all year in my opinion. He brought it every game.

I’ve been doing some NIL stuff with Alabama players(unfortunately I live here and that’s who the people who support my business want to meet) and it’s like pulling hair.

Dealing with “agents” which most have came off as a friend the player is bringing along for the ride, scheduling and dumb money expectations… it’s been very hard to get things done. Don’t doubt this at all but I’m not sure why it would be the coaches job. At all.

Last edited:
It’s straight from the mouth of the guy who offered it to him so I’ll believe him.
There often is a reason. Is the guy a Liquor store owner? An adult toy store? A competitor of some other big booster? There may be a reason. But if true, and it was a car dealer or something legit.....not good.

I’ve been doing some NIL stuff with Alabama players(unfortunately I live here and that’s who the people who support my business want to meet) and it’s like pulling hair.

Dealing with “agents” which most have came off as a friend the player is bringing along for the ride, scheduling and dumb money expectations… it’s been very hard to get things done. Don’t doubt this at all but I’m not sure why it would be the coaches job.
I can only imagine the type of representatives you have to deal with.

There often is a reason. Is the guy a Liquor store owner? An adult toy store? A competitor of some other big booster? There may be a reason. But if true, and it was a car dealer or something legit.....not good.

The guy owns a sports memorabilia store I believe and has made NIL deals with several players from football and basketball. There is zero reason for this to be kept from Reeves. Knowing who the poster is, I take it as 100% undisputed fact.

The guy owns a sports memorabilia store I believe and has made NIL deals with several players from football and basketball. There is zero reason for this to be kept from Reeves. Knowing who the poster is, I take it as 100% undisputed fact.
Wow. That sucks. I also must admit that this is the disgusting underbelly of NIL that I see why coaches are retiring because of. If this was an attempt to push Reeves out then it reinforces just how perverse Cal's system had become.

I’ve been around this site for years, but rarely post. I read the original post and I can assure you the poster is 100% legit. He is as “Stand Up of A Guy” as there is.
It’s just crazy that they wouldn’t say anything to Reeves. There always seems to be stuff going on behind the scenes every year here recently. Cal needs to go

Followed up with this….

I think Antigua took it to Cal. And for whatever reason Cal didn’t want to do it. But that’s my assumption. Antigua never talked to me again until this year when we offered the NIL deal to Reed for next year.

• Haha
Reactions: DreadLox
So much for being a "players first" coach. If Cal knew about this, then that's truly an abomination. If Cal didn't know about this, then what the hell is he doing?! It's his job to oversee this program. Ugh! I don't even have the words anymore.

So much for being a "players first" coach. If Cal knew about this, then that's truly an abomination. If Cal didn't know about this, then what the hell is he doing?! It's his job to oversee this program. Ugh! I don't even have the words anymore.
Read above your comment Cal might have known

Believe Brady said they’d be offering Reed one million for next year if he returns

Definitely isn’t a random message board poster.
This isn't him. Do we not understand that it's not the assistants job to run NIL? So even if the story is real are we expecting the assistants to check their Social Media DMs for random offers for the players and then also figure out if they are even real? Some of you just want to be mad at every thing.

Reactions: DreadLox
This isn't him. Do we not understand that it's not the assistants job to run NIL? So even if the story is real are we expecting the assistants to check their Social Media DMs for random offers for the players and then also figure out if they are even real? Some of you just want to be mad at every thing.

Dafuk you quote me for with that?

I literally said above it’s not the coaches job to present nil offers to players.

I agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence.

Read above your comment Cal might have known

You posted that right after I posted my reply. 😅 Not sure if that makes me more or less frustrated though. Would love to know Cal's reasoning on not following through. This is mere speculation, but it sometimes feels like Cal picks and chooses who he wants to help and who he doesn't.

Reactions: LXWildcat
What are you talking about they knew about the deal so why couldn’t they tell Reeves?

Dafuk you quote me for with that?

I literally said above it’s not the coaches job to present nil offers to players.

I agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence.
Yeah I should have made different posts. My initial thought was this wasn't Brady and then I just kept typing.

What are you talking about they knew about the deal so why couldn’t they tell Reeves?
So you think assistants should believe random DMs about NIL and take them to the players? You also believe that is what their time should be used for?

Am I to understand that the person writing the post was an individual who wanted to offer Reeves 100k to sign a NIL deal .... and this deal was never presented to Reeves by the staff? Is that what it says?
Something doesn’t seem right about this. I’m friends with the car dealer in Louisville and he was in touch personally with Reeves and his dad. He never goes through the coaching staff to get deals done with the players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT