ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

Catching up on things, thought Smackdown was good. I like the fact now they are back on USA they can run over if they want. Still don't know why on cable they are bleeping stuff out.

Outrunners are great.

Raw for tonight- we might actually get a tag title defense. I read somewhere that they've been champs for 71 days and not defended the titles once.

CM Punk returns.
WWE World Tag Team Champions Finn Balor & JD McDonagh vs. The New Day.
Damian Priest vs. Dominik Mysterio.
Braun Strowman vs. Bronson Reed.
Natalya vs. Zoey Stark.
Pete Dunne vs. Sheamus

WWE has made the startling discovery that they can tap the independents for more than enhancement talent, extras, and NXT trainees.

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

I am still tired of the Judgement Day...even without Priest and Rhipley they continue the same thing week after week. Just this time the beatdown is on Priest and Rhipley. At some point, you have to change it up. It is overplayed. I didn't even watch the last match. I knew that Priest would win but then the Judgement Day would gang up on him and beat him down. Rhipley would take out Morgan briefly only to be chop blocked at her "injured" knee while the others held down Priest for a Coup De Gras while Raw went off the air with Judgement Day standing tall over both Priest and Rhipley...I saw the highlights on X and the only thing I missed was Jey being speared by Bron Breaker...It is so damn predictable.

I am still tired of the Judgement Day...even without Priest and Rhipley they continue the same thing week after week. Just this time the beatdown is on Priest and Rhipley. At some point, you have to change it up. It is overplayed. I didn't even watch the last match. I knew that Priest would win but then the Judgement Day would gang up on him and beat him down. Rhipley would take out Morgan briefly only to be chop blocked at her "injured" knee while the others held down Priest for a Coup De Gras while Raw went off the air with Judgement Day standing tall over both Priest and Rhipley...I saw the highlights on X and the only thing I missed was Jey being speared by Bron Breaker...It is so damn predictable.
Sounds like the same playbook as the Bloodline for the last two years (until recently).

If you saw Uso spearing Breaker earlier, you would probably have predicted that retaliation too.

Armando was Umaga's manager back in the day. He was also part of OVW when Heyman was running it and it was the best wrestling show on TV at the time.
Raw was a good show last night, liked the opening part with one continous show with Punk coming into the arena.

Some more details on a possible new AEW deal. The actual story is behind a pay wall but the deal sounds pretty good.

Armando was Umaga's manager back in the day. He was also part of OVW when Heyman was running it and it was the best wrestling show on TV at the time.
Raw was a good show last night, liked the opening part with one continous show with Punk coming into the arena.

Some more details on a possible new AEW deal. The actual story is behind a pay wall but the deal sounds pretty good.

Ya sounds like raw had good promos and matches so hard to complain as a wrestling fan - be interesting when they cut down to 2 hours before Netflix is the segments are more consensed or some acts just won’t be on tv every week like pure fusion collective.

I know you like slapping NXT around but it's just a MUCH higher quality version of OVW with more money. The fact that AEW in America is closer to NXT (ratings, attendance) than Raw and SD is slightly concerning. I'd really like to see the total amount of money WWE is paying the NXT roster compared to what TK is paying his roster.
Concerning? No. This is 2024, not 1994. They are about to sign media rughts deals that are going to be in the range of $200 million a year.

Even for WWE and their record gates their gate revenue barely even accounts for 10% of their total revenue.

If you want to compare salaries of NXT vs. AEW, then let’s compare media money. If NXT is so close to AEW in the ratings, why did they have to settle for less than 20% of what AEW is allegedly about to get?

Last edited:
Still don't know why on cable they are bleeping stuff out.
WWE is supposed to be a PG-rated family product and advertisers that want to advertise to a PG-rated family product are going to want the language to reflect that.

And WWE had to have a required all-talent meeting ahead of Raw the other week telling them to watch their language because of network and WWE sponsors.

Comes with the territory of wanting to have a family-friendly product. You want that and you got to deal with the pitfalls of it.

The way Dynamite's been, that's something AEW may need to look at. Beats blacking out 80% of Rupp. I will agree Lex just might not be into AEW. They should've ran Cincinnati instead. Do a Moxley homecoming show.

Punk + Chicago will always work. Orton and St. Louis? Ehh. I've enjoyed NXT more lately but I'm not sure they'd ever make doing what AEW does work. It's the training grounds for "tomorrow's superstars." Doubt that'd bring in a couple thousand per week. The PLE's usually do well though.
AEW in Lexington reminds me of blue hairs in Rupp. Like why are they even buying a ticket just to sit there and be quiet as a church mouse 90% of the time? Those floor seats aren’t exactly pocket change. Just stay home and stop wasting your money.

NXT won’t be a regularly traveling TV show. Not even factoring in ticket sales or the financials of it all (raises costs for paying talent significantly since NXT talent gets paid more when having to travel, for one example unique to NXT), it just doesn’t even make sense to do it regularly from a strategic point.

The whole purpose of having it always film at the PC is because that’s where they are training every day. Take them on the road every week and you’re going to have to lighten their training schedule, which slows the development process.

Sounding like when (if) the new AEW TV deal is announced Rampage will be going away. Might be replaced by this Shockwave show I keep reading about online.

Dynamite for this evening as of 2:30 pm

Chris Jericho vs. Orange Cassidy.
AEW Tag Team Champions The Young Bucks & AEW Continental Champion Kazuchika Okada vs. AEW International Champion Will Ospreay & Kyle Fletcher & Konosuke Takeshita.
AEW Women's Champion Mariah May & Serena Deeb vs. Queen Aminata & Yuka Sakazaka.
The Beast Mortos versus Ricochet.

Reactions: GeraldV
Sounding like when (if) the new AEW TV deal is announced Rampage will be going away. Might be replaced by this Shockwave show I keep reading about online.

Dynamite for this evening as of 2:30 pm

Chris Jericho vs. Orange Cassidy.
AEW Tag Team Champions The Young Bucks & AEW Continental Champion Kazuchika Okada vs. AEW International Champion Will Ospreay & Kyle Fletcher & Konosuke Takeshita.
AEW Women's Champion Mariah May & Serena Deeb vs. Queen Aminata & Yuka Sakazaka.
The Beast Mortos versus Ricochet.
That was last week's episode, wasn't it? Or the week before? Or the week before that?

Shockwave replacing Rampage is needed. A total rebrand and change of scenery would do a world of good for it, and surely being the only AEW show on whatever network is goes on will put pressure on TK to make it meaningful. Though I don't know how meaningful in the grand scheme of things just an hour long show is going to be, 1 hour shows for wrestling just don't really work well in my opinion.

Feels like I'm seeing the same talent wrestle the same match week after week. I suppose I just don't get the subtleties and nuance as well as the diehards.

I prefer the action of AEW to WWE, but the production and booking are getting hard to ignore.

Reactions: Wesley91581
Roster aside, I don't see the fan demand for more AEW content. Dynamite, a potential three hour Collision, then whatever Shockwave will be. Hell of a lot for a five year old company with minimal stars and a creative team that A) love start and stop booking and B) does so much 50/50 booking that 90% of the roster feels equal. They gotta start building some actual stars with a quickness or else everyone will be tuning out by that third hour of Collision (if it's extended) and Shockwave will just be Rampage part deux.

Reactions: Strokin_Bandit
Roster aside, I don't see the fan demand for more AEW content. Dynamite, a potential three hour Collision, then whatever Shockwave will be. Hell of a lot for a five year old company with minimal stars and a creative team that A) love start and stop booking and B) does so much 50/50 booking that 90% of the roster feels equal. They gotta start building some actual stars with a quickness or else everyone will be tuning out by that third hour of Collision (if it's extended) and Shockwave will just be Rampage part deux.
They won’t but should do a brand split that way you have a few top guys on both shows and working up the mid and lower roster folks and give them a fair opportunity to prosper.

They won’t but should do a brand split that way you have a few top guys on both shows and working up the mid and lower roster folks and give them a fair opportunity to prosper.
Agree but clearly TK isn't interested in doing that. His company, his rules. It would be beneficial though. If you had Swerve, Ospreay, and Moxley on one show, and let's say Swerve was out with an injury, Mox takes a month off to recharge, and Ospreay is banged up and it's looking like you're going to need to give him a few weeks off too, as a booker you'd be forced to build more guys quickly. All it takes is one night. Look at Bronson Reed. Look at what they've done with Breakker in a few months. Rhea getting hurt wasn't planned and look how WWE adapted on the fly.

Reactions: Wesley91581
I always like doing these things when I'm bored at work to just test my memory.

Can you name all 55 different WWE Champs?

I missed two. Would've never got one that was in the 70s. Then forgot about an obvious one in 2001.

I always like doing these things when I'm bored at work to just test my memory.

Can you name all 55 different WWE Champs?

I missed two. Would've never got one that was in the 70s. Then forgot about an obvious one in 2001.
I missed two as well. I missed the first one and probably the same one in the 70s that you missed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT