ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

He doesn't need it.
I don’t think he needs a title either, but I don’t think he needs to be booked to just have someone to beat. OC I think is an attraction and shouldn’t be used as the guy to pin. He was booked better when he faced Jericho. No title involved, but fans knew the magnitude of an OC win over Chris. It mattered.

God NXT just looks so bad now.
It’s quite the creative decision. Imagine being given control over NXT and being like, “Alright, you know how we’ve spent a decade of making this a super indie and quality wrestling? Let’s throw all of that out and make the logo worse and all of the wrestlers be terrible and uninteresting. Huge success!”

Well that certainly is interesting.

Wasn't Linda running for office one of the main reasons they went PG?

The WWE's "you can't have a name we didn't come up with strikes again."

The Grizzled Young Veterans are getting new ring names, PWInsider.com has confirmed.
Going forward, James Drake will now be known as Jagger Reid.
Zack Gibson will be using the ring name Rip Fowler.

It’s quite the creative decision. Imagine being given control over NXT and being like, “Alright, you know how we’ve spent a decade of making this a super indie and quality wrestling? Let’s throw all of that out and make the logo worse and all of the wrestlers be terrible and uninteresting. Huge success!”
Vince McMahon has entered the building.

To be honest, how does it benefit WWE to be a super indie? They want sports entertainers to come up to the main roster to play characters who wrestle.

Well that certainly is interesting.

Wasn't Linda running for office one of the main reasons they went PG?
As I understand, since they are publicly traded they needed to maximize ad revenue. TV-14 lowers the number of available sponsors.

Reactions: K-mac18
Dynamite was number one for the night but down in viewers and demo.

942,000 and .32- last week was 979,000 and .36

GGG- 749,000 and a .16

The WWE's "you can't have a name we didn't come up with strikes again."

The Grizzled Young Veterans are getting new ring names, PWInsider.com has confirmed.
Going forward, James Drake will now be known as Jagger Reid.
Zack Gibson will be using the ring name Rip Fowler.
It's like they just pull up an old school random name generator off the internet to come up with these dumbass names.

Why am I supposed to be invested in Eddie Kingston and Ruby Soso? "My Ruby"? Groan. Were they indy pals?

Hopefully they put Jericho-Kingston to rest after next week.

Still want Swerve and Starks as a team.

Christian is pretty awesome right now. Probably one of the best things in the business.

As of right now, there are currently no immediate plans for Bucks/FTR 3. Meltzer states that while there could be a match down the line, all of the Belts at stake may not be at stake due to AEW not knowing when NJPW and AAA would want FTR to drop the tag belts.

This is also due to there being other plans for The Young Bucks which were The Elite vs Cole & reDragon, but that has been shelved due to Omega and Coles injury. As far as Trios belts, Meltzer noted that those are on hold due to Omegas injury.

Source: Wrestling Observer

Drew McIntyre will wrestle Ridge Holland instead of Sheamus? Wow, didn't see that coming.

Vince McMahon is a booking genius!

So just learned that one of the bigger names on the women's independent wrestling scene is a 17-year-old from Kentucky in Billie Starkz. Thoush she is Louisville, but apparently doesn't really follow any sports outside of wrestling so not a Cardinals fan.

She's like the female version of Nick Wayne if you are familiar with the future AEW prodigy. She actually recently had a match against him that was supposed to be pretty good, looks like it was considered match of the night on a card that featured Speedball Mike Bailey, Homicide, Dragon Lee, and Konosuke Takeshita.

Here's one of her more recent full matches available on YouTube

Oh looks like GCW has that whole show uploaded on YouTube for free, so here's that video for the Nick Wayne vs. Billie Starkz match. If I did it right, it should start playing at the start of the match. If not, skip to 58:17 if you don't want to see anything else.

How do they not get sued over that logo?
That’s so the great American bash logo
The similar Great American Bash logo hasn't been in use since 1997.

It has to satisfy four things to be considered copyright violation

1. I would say it violates it on this ground
Purpose and Character
Attorney M. J. Bogatin described four general criteria the courts use to determine fair use. The first is purpose and character. Did the third party use have a commercial character that benefits that user, or was it used instead for an educational, nonprofit purposes?

2. Yes, probably
The Nature of a Logo
A logo quickly identifies both the product and the company (identified in this example as Company A) and is clearly intended to distinguish it from all other products by all other companies – that's the essential nature of a logo. If the use of a logo by a third party is sufficiently similar as to confuse the issue and to make it more difficult to determine if the logo appearing in a given environment is really Company A's logo, that tends toward copyright violation. One fashion company advertised itself as "Dolce & Banana," employing the same letter styles and color scheme as the original company's "Dolce & Gabbana." This seems pretty clearly intended to confuse. So does another company's "Michaelsoft" logo that also imitates the visual design elements of Microsoft's original.

Even so, a violation of just one of these four criteria "tends toward," rather than "is," a copyright violation because courts weigh the cumulative effect of all four.

3. Maybe. IT has a different typeface, the letters are different sizes for each word, the stars are different, the swoosh behind the stars is different. Depends on if it is considered different enough. Plus there is the another whole word thing added
How Much of the Design Was Used?
The second factor in the determination of fair use is the quantitative relationship between the original logo and the third party's potentially violating design elements. How much of the original design was used? This has to do not only with how many of the elements in the original appear in the disputed logo but also how the disputed logo compares overall visually to the original.

With the Coca-Cola logo, there are four basic elements: typeface, specific letter sequence, typeface color and background color. No one would argue that the use of a red background alone constitutes a fair use violation. Use of the same typeface and type color makes it appear somewhat less innocent. If the same letter sequence – coca-cola – is also used, the accumulation of all four elements makes the violation more probable than the use of one or two elements alone.

If the potentially trademark-violating design appears in 8-point type at the bottom of the page – especially in association with other logos discussed in the same article – that's less obviously a trademark violation than if it headlines, solo, at the top.

download.png

4. If anyone says yes to the below criteria then they are an insane person who doesn't operate in reality.
What Is the Effect on the Logo Owner's Market?
The answer to the question about the effect on the owning company's market isn't determinative alone, but it's important. If a competitor's "Apfel" logo uses so many similar design elements as Apple's original as to confuse a potential buyer, this harms Apple directly because that buyer may mistakenly buy an Apfel watch instead of Apple's. The fourth important consideration in determinations of fair use is how the competing use affects the business and reputation of the original trademark owner.

Often this negative effect is monetary – the buyer mistakenly buys an Apfel instead of an Apple product. But if Apfel's inferior product fails to meet the buyer's expectations, then Apfel's use of a confusingly similar logo also harms Apple's reputation. The buyer may believe that it is Apple, not Apfel, that's delivered the inferior product.

There is also parody law, which also has four factors

1. Is it for commercial purposes? Yes. Does it add something new to the original creative work? Yes, it adds the word "Birthday"
First, the purpose and character of the use. This factor considers whether the use is for commercial or nonprofit educational purposes and whether the use is “transformative,” or whether the use adds something new to the original creative work or presents it in a different light.

2. Is the copyrighted work creative? Yes. Previously published? Yes, in 1997
Second, the nature of the copyrighted work, which asks whether the copyrighted work is creative or factual, and if it has been previously published.

3. Damned if I know how substantially it was used. It was a Jersey Championship Wrestling event, I imagine not particularly substantially used outside of New Jersey and the IWC.
Third, the amount or substantiality of the new use in relation to the original work.

4. Anyone who argues that this GABB logo materially affects the WWE in any way is once again an insane person who doesn't operate in reality.
Fourth, whether the new work affects the market for the original work. This factor considers the degree of market harm caused by the new work and the potential market harm that may arise.

I forgot all about this until listening to Cornette dress down Olivier on last weeks show. Honest question… Is Kenny Olivier a fruit? He strikes me as one a bit after seeing that. If he don’t full on suck em, I bet he’d at least keep one in his mouth til the swelling went down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT