ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

That whole show was a disaster of the highest proportions. Oh and they spent all that time making Lacey a "military hero" babyface in her comeback only to turn her heel within 2 months?🤷‍♂️
It was reported WWE's plan was to turn her heel even when she was doing those promos.

It's Wednesday, you know what that means..

AEW Champion Jon Moxley vs. Konosuke Takeshita. (Non-title)
AEW Tag Team Champions Young Bucks vs. Shane Strickland & Keith Lee vs. Will Hobbs & FTW Champion Ricky Starks.
AEW TNT Champion Wardlow vs. Orange Cassidy.
Jake Hager vs. Claudio Castagnoli.
Anna Jay vs. Serena Dee.
Luchasaurus with Christian Cage in action.

I know everyone likes botches here is one of many from NXT last night.

I was trying to find the video, but couldn't...but when Chris Champion did that goofy Cowabunga gimmick in Memphis in the early 90s when they were introducing him, he brought out these blocks of wood so he could show off his amazing chops. Well, he dropped a piece and it easily broke.

The weirdest thing is I'm in Louisville, so I got the loop tape and they could've easily edited that out. But they actually left that in instead of editing it out...crazy. I'll still look for the video.

Reactions: K-mac18
Was thinking about this - how many of the ex-wwe castoffs have had a better career in AEW?

None can say CM Punk because he was gone for 8 years...and they can't be a castoff that was never on TV.

But honestly...none? Rusev/Miro? No. Undisputed Era? No. Andre O le o le o? Please..... FTR? Eh...I can see either way. Danielson? No. He doesn't need to be in that group. Buddy? Pffftttttt.... Plumber Moxley? Talk abot regressing.... Keith Lee? His ego thought he'd be, but now in a tag team, lol... Jeff Hardy? lolololololololol Malakai Black?! Pfffftttt... Samoa Joe? TBD, but I don't think he'll ever get a sustained run again with his injury issues.. Shawn Spears? Good lord...

Did I miss anyone

Reactions: Wesley91581
Could argue the lawler getting hit by the car was the biggest Memphis botch - he says to this day sometimes he will have pain from when he got hit

Cody. But you see how that worked.

I would say Black is in a better place, he never did much on the main roster.

Maybe PAC. Hard to tell with how much he was out during Covid.

Based on the rumored main roster plan I would say Cole.

And FTR just because Vince hates tag teams.

I was trying to find the video, but couldn't...but when Chris Champion did that goofy Cowabunga gimmick in Memphis in the early 90s when they were introducing him, he brought out these blocks of wood so he could show off his amazing chops. Well, he dropped a piece and it easily broke.

The weirdest thing is I'm in Louisville, so I got the loop tape and they could've easily edited that out. But they actually left that in instead of editing it out...crazy. I'll still look for the video.
I’d definitely like to see that

Reactions: UKWildcatT
The question is very subjective but once he dropped the Best Man crap I’d say Miro. Of course he got hurt and then went and did a TV show.

FTR, especially how they were used on the main roster. Also throw PAC in there.
I would say Moxley is better off than when he was with the E.

If you are judging by NXT then maybe not on UE and some others.

Hardy’s definitely not.

The question is very subjective but once he dropped the Best Man crap I’d say Miro. Of course he got hurt and then went and did a TV show.

FTR, especially how they were used on the main roster. Also throw PAC in there.
I would say Moxley is better off than when he was with the E.

If you are judging by NXT then maybe not on UE and some others.

Hardy’s definitely not.
Yup pretty good summation and yes nxt included

Reactions: K-mac18
Sting definitely, forgot about him.

I’m sure JC hated that opening match but I thought it was great.

Could argue the lawler getting hit by the car was the biggest Memphis botch - he says to this day sometimes he will have pain from when he got hit
I’d never do an angle like that : too much risk and not enough reward, especially since a viewer called the cops and they came to the studio

None can say CM Punk because he was gone for 8 years...and they can't be a castoff that was never on TV.

But honestly...none? Rusev/Miro? No. Undisputed Era? No. Andre O le o le o? Please..... FTR? Eh...I can see either way. Danielson? No. He doesn't need to be in that group. Buddy? Pffftttttt.... Plumber Moxley? Talk abot regressing.... Keith Lee? His ego thought he'd be, but now in a tag team, lol... Jeff Hardy? lolololololololol Malakai Black?! Pfffftttt... Samoa Joe? TBD, but I don't think he'll ever get a sustained run again with his injury issues.. Shawn Spears? Good lord...

Did I miss anyone
Rusev was US Champion and although never a prolonged main eventer, That Rusev Day thing was very over. Advantage WWE.

Undisputed Era was big in NXT, held all the titles, and were utilized much better than they are in AEW. I have more confidence in Fish and O'Reilly going forward than Cole. Advantage WWE

Andre Oleo was a top guy in NXT but other than a mid card title reign or two on the main roster, didn't do too much. He was still featured in a more prominent role than he is in AEW. Advantage WWE.

Daniel Bryan was the face of WWF and over as big as anyone when he got his first title run and when he returned. His heel title run most recently was kind of stale, but when you are the biggest fish in the biggest pond like he was, you have to say Advantage WWE until we see what Tony can do.

Buddy Murphy was a lackey in WWF and is still a lackey in AEW. He has tons of potential and a great look but for whatever reason, he is what he is. EVEN

Dean Ambrose
was part of one of the hottest factions and got a run as the guy in WWE. He was put into some good programs but despite getting the title, never really was The Man. AEW is definitely pushing him more as a single so I will say Advantage AEW but as a whole, I think he will always be remembered more as Dean Ambrose, member of The Shield. This is a push unless you focus on the strictly single run.

Keith Lee showed flashes but had the charisma of a boot sole. The ability he had for someone that size is undeniable but has pretty much sucked in both companies. His NXT run was pretty good so for that reason, I'll say Advantage WWE.

The Hardy's Advantage WWE

Aleister Black
was great in NXT but didn't do too much on the main roster. Regardless, his WWE work is much better. Advantage WWE

Samoa Joe
between the two, I'd say Advantage WWE but in reality, his best was ROH and TNA.

Shawn Spears isn't even worth mentioning.

Overall, most of the WWE guys saw more success in NXT than on the main roster but have been used a lot better than they are currently being used. Like I said, Moxley is the exception based on the singles run but I still think Dean Ambrose will be remembered moreso than Jon Moxley.

Reactions: Wesley91581
Rusev was US Champion and although never a prolonged main eventer, That Rusev Day thing was very over. Advantage WWE.

Undisputed Era was big in NXT, held all the titles, and were utilized much better than they are in AEW. I have more confidence in Fish and O'Reilly going forward than Cole. Advantage WWE

Andre Oleo
was a top guy in NXT but other than a mid card title reign or two on the main roster, didn't do too much. He was still featured in a more prominent role than he is in AEW. Advantage WWE.

Daniel Bryan was the face of WWF and over as big as anyone when he got his first title run and when he returned. His heel title run most recently was kind of stale, but when you are the biggest fish in the biggest pond like he was, you have to say Advantage WWE until we see what Tony can do.

Buddy Murphy was a lackey in WWF and is still a lackey in AEW. He has tons of potential and a great look but for whatever reason, he is what he is. EVEN

Dean Ambrose
was part of one of the hottest factions and got a run as the guy in WWE. He was put into some good programs but despite getting the title, never really was The Man. AEW is definitely pushing him more as a single so I will say Advantage AEW but as a whole, I think he will always be remembered more as Dean Ambrose, member of The Shield. This is a push unless you focus on the strictly single run.

Keith Lee showed flashes but had the charisma of a boot sole. The ability he had for someone that size is undeniable but has pretty much sucked in both companies. His NXT run was pretty good so for that reason, I'll say Advantage WWE.

Aleister Black
was great in NXT but didn't do too much on the main roster. Regardless, his WWE work is much better. Advantage WWE

Samoa Joe
between the two, I'd say Advantage WWE but in reality, his best was ROH and TNA.

Overall, most of the WWE guys saw more success in NXT than on the main roster but have been used a lot better than they are currently being used. Like I said, Moxley is the exception based on the singles run but I still think Dean Ambrose will be remembered moreso than Jon Moxley.
Yup this is a better way of saying what I would have

I cannot believe they put the tag titles on Lee and swerve. What the hell

I’m not a big FTR guy like Cornette. They’re a good team and all….but this was the Bucks ego in the way

the correct storyline logic SHOULD have been a build up with FTR v Bucks with everything on the line. Granted, I don’t have millions coming from my dad so I can have real life wrestlers, but really?

the logical storyline should be those two with all on the line with FTR winning. This shouldn’t be hard.

Andre Oleo
was a top guy in NXT but other than a mid card title reign or two on the main roster, didn't do too much. He was still featured in a more prominent role than he is in AEW. Advantage WWE.

Dean Ambrose

Aleister Black

Samoa Joe

Comparing a C brand like NXT to an A brand like AEW is kinda dumb, especially when Vince completely overhauled the product from the ground up because he didn't like it.

WWE treated all of these more recent NXT guys (Undisputed Era, Lee, Swerve, Black, etc.) who left for AEW like trash on the main roster, were never going to bump them up to main roster, or had allegedly horrendous ideas for them on the main roster.

I’m not a big FTR guy like Cornette. They’re a good team and all….but this was the Bucks ego in the way

the correct storyline logic SHOULD have been a build up with FTR v Bucks with everything on the line. Granted, I don’t have millions coming from my dad so I can have real life wrestlers, but really?

the logical storyline should be those two with all on the line with FTR winning. This shouldn’t be hard.
This is some idiotic posting. Not you, just the post.

It was their ego to lose the belts? To drop the belts to get another team over? To have the shortest tag team reign in AEW history at only 28 days? That was their ego at play?

Was it also their ego at play when they agreed behind the scenes to step aside from the IWGP tag match at Forbidden Door so FTR could win it?

Last edited:
Reactions: GeraldV
Dynamite thoughts:
Claudio/Hager is the kind of wrestling I prefer as opposed to choreographed gymnastics displays. It was my favorite match.

Christian still getting heat.

I really like Takeshita and hope he gets a win or two on TV soon. Moxley ‘s insistence on bleeding in every match he works makes his bleeding old hat. Adds nothing most times.

The Wardlow match was, well, entertaining. I still don’t understand booking your newly crowned monster babyface champion’s first title defense to be a competitive match with a babyface comedy character after your champion beat 20 mean in one night and squashed one of your top heels on PPV. I’m guessing this is one of those divides between the modern fan and me.

I enjoyed the main event. OK with the title change. I was hoping Hobbs/Starks would win. The bucks have X-pac/Nia/Jaxx/Right to Censor intro theme heat with me.

Reactions: billCgmx
The Wardlow match was, well, entertaining. I still don’t understand booking your newly crowned monster babyface champion’s first title defense to be a competitive match with a babyface comedy character after your champion beat 20 mean in one night and squashed one of your top heels on PPV. I’m guessing this is one of those divides between the modern fan and me.
OC is one of the most over wrestlers they have, one of their top merch sellers, and AEW YouTube videos featuring him are routinely amongst their most watched videos.

Seriously, 4 of the top 6, 5 of the top 8, and 6 of the top 15, and 7 of the top 20 AEW YouTube videos feature OC.

I don’t get the title change and think it’s stupid to be honest. I feel like it’s bad enough they’re hot shotting the TNT title around (hopefully that stops now w/Wardlow), but now on the first title defense the bucks lose it to Starks and Hobbs. Oh wait… sorry no, Lee and Swerve… stupid. Lee and Swerve are what Hobbs and Starks are. There was no real reason to bring those two into AEW and have them have the exact same schtick has Starks/Hobb. I honestly think Starks/Hobb does it better. My issue isn’t even that they came from WWE. The issue is that Starks and Hobbs has star power written all over em and they’re being told, again, to wait their turn. It’s just insane to me.

OC is one of the most over wrestlers they have, one of their top merch sellers, and AEW YouTube videos featuring him are routinely amongst their most watched videos.
Then why consistently book him to lose every title shot. I’m pretty sure this is his 6th title shot and he lost again.

Then why consistently book him to lose every title shot. I’m pretty sure this is his 6th title shot and he lost again.

Seriously, 4 of the top 6, 5 of the top 8, and 6 of the top 15, and 7 of the top 20 AEW YouTube videos feature OC.
He doesn't need it.

Reactions: GeraldV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT