ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

Whether you liked the angle or not, doing this the night before the NFL Draft has gotten them a lot of publicity this morning. Hope Tony is sporting a neck brace tonight.
Shad Khan looks like he could be an 80's era WWF bad guy.
Also thought this was funny.

THe NFL is even covering it. He said in the Dynasty post presser that NFL Films will be filming him this week. So appears this coverage ties in to that.

Reactions: GeraldV
This angle could end up being good or it could end up being bad, we shall see. But it's something different for AEW and has given people something to talk about a reason to tune in for next week. To even get the NFL covering it is insane.

I was entertained, can't believe they gave TK the TK Driver 🤣 and Shad coming out was a nice way to sell it. Like when the parent of an athlete comes down to the field/court when their child is injured.

Now here's hoping they don't bungle it. Think it's leading to an Elite vs. AEW Blood and Guys or Anarchy in the Arena match.

Reactions: GeraldV
We're not too far off from NXT beating Dynamite imo. Raw also took a hit since we're in Playoffs mode but I think after five years the AEW cake has baked and you're either on board or you're not and if you're not, the roster, or adding titles, or relying on past employees, or the owner taking a bump isn't going to do much. There will be people who'll watch the ending through clips and will just laugh. I don't think they'll tune in next week because the Bucks, Perry, and TK's tiny frame aren't going to be taken seriously. If Tony is shown at the Draft wearing a neckbrace, people online will laugh at him. Sure, it's old school but it's just so silly. I'm trying not to be a full-on hater like Drew but Goldberg (who sucks but is a well-known star) recently called AEW cheesy. Imagine someone his size taking orders from the Bucks or Perry because they're EVP's or because they attacked a tiny billionaire.

683K for Dynamite
Took a big hit having to air live nationwide, so likely lost some West Coast viewers
Worst Dynamite ratings in 3 years.

I’m curious to see if last night’s big angle nets more viewers next week.

Also, Daily’s Place looks like shit on TV. Bad angles (no kayfabe) galore.

Reactions: Wesley91581
And right on cue, people are laughing at Tony, AEW, and because it's a niche thing, whatever the hell a Meltzer Driver is. Dude looks like a dweeb awkwardly smiling in his neck brace. Can't wait to see clips of him returning as an authority figure to word battle with the Bucks and Luke Perry's son lol. Sorry guys, the more I think about this, the more it feels like desperation.

More TK on tv = less people watching.

Episode 1 Wrestling GIF by Heels

Is anyone going to the Cody meet and greet?

For as much as AEW likes surprises figured they wouldn't announce this and just let it happen tomorrow night.

I actually commend Tony on keeping “kayfabe”, but God, he’s such a clown, but is a gift that keeps on giving.

He gives me sooooo much material, it’s not funny.

1) I’m not an autograph guy, but I do, so much, want him to autograph one of my drawings of him so I can

2) thank him for helping putting my daughter through college at UK! Please, keep up with the silliness for four more years Tony! I can retire at 55, my daughter will be graduated and I’ll be sipping Big Red on the beach in Florida!

I actually commend Tony on keeping “kayfabe”, but God, he’s such a clown, but is a gift that keeps on giving.

He gives me sooooo much material, it’s not funny.

1) I’m not an autograph guy, but I do, so much, want him to autograph one of my drawings of him so I can

2) thank him for helping putting my daughter through college at UK! Please, keep up with the silliness for four more years Tony! I can retire at 55, my daughter will be graduated and I’ll be sipping Big Red on the beach in Florida!
Big Red?

Loved Big Red as a kid. GF thinks it's absolute trash though.

Curious what stopped Meltz from giving Danielson and Ospreay 7 stars. 6.5 seems random, like giving a film 11.5 stars. I'll always be amused by his star system though. To actually celebrate his ratings or become frustrated by them as some fans do seems pretty out there. From the overwhelming praise Dynasty has gotten, they seem fairly accurate I suppose. Drainmaker is still a nerd though. 42K followers and does nothing but overly praise AEW and other indies they've worked with? Oh, Tony is giving that dude free tickets for life or something. You don't become that big of a kiss ass without getting something in return lol. And I'm sure WWE have their Drainmakers too.

You mean Tony Neck Brace saying AEW is like Pepsi and WWE is an evil juggernaut and the Harvey Weinstein of pro wrestling? As someone on reddit said, he couldn't just say Coca Cola huh? lol.

One of the reasons I'm currently not watching is Tony Khan himself. I get tired of saying, "He's a nice guy but..." He's a jackass and because of issues with his company, he thinks attacking WWE is helpful to AEW. There's a reason why he's called The Tribalism Chief. Swerve's time turned into Tony's time pretty quickly, huh? If NXT beats Dynamite soon, we're likely to see a TK tweet that says VINCE RAPE WORLD RAPE ENTERTAINMENT RAPE.

Last edited:
I want to enjoy what I like and don't want to think of Vince or Weinstein or anyone like that. WWE isn't out of the woods on the damage Vince and his type have done there but there's an online narrative that AEW fans are real wrestling fans, they're positive, embracive, but also victims because they like AEW and WWE fans are drones, part of a cult, worship Vince, and trolls. The goofy IWC has turned into what online politics is now. My side is noble and you're side is evil. And this is either week three or four of AEW responding to WWE's few jabs during Mania week and Punk's interview. Start writing another speech for next week, Copeland.

Speaking of Vince…

WWE co-founder Vince McMahon is ending his association with the promotion after 55 years with the sale of his 8.02 million TKO Group Holdings shares, which were worth $96.76 apiece as of Friday for more than $776 million total.
That news is per Brendan Coffey of Sportico, who made a further clarification on the matter.
"The filing makes the shares eligible for sale, but doesn't mean they will be sold. In practice across the corporate world, such filings typically result in the sale of the listed shares shortly after," Coffey wrote.
The news was revealed after TKO filed a prospectus Friday afternoon.

Carmelo vs Cody tonight. Feels like when Cena had his first match on Raw against Angle and got immediate respect. Guessing Styles interferes though since that match needs some heat.

Reactions: Wesley91581
1. Michelle McCool has not aged nearly as well Torrie Wilson.

2. Calling Bronn Breaker a D1 standout is quite a stretch

3. Considering going to Smackdown in Louisville now that I actually get off work at 5 again. So of course Smackdown gets Nia Jax and Liv Morgan goes to Raw

Draft sucked and the show was meh. I know the larger pool is on Monday but tonight felt like a bit of a waste. Wanted Knight on Raw too. Would be an absolute star with the show moving to Netflix but I'm sure USA will want someone like him staying in place. I'm enjoying some of the random comments from show threads on reddit. Tonight had someone say this portion of the draft could've been an email. Oh, and let's start giving Bron some actual competition. It's okay if his matches on the main roster last longer than a minute.

Draft sucked and the show was meh. I know the larger pool is on Monday but tonight felt like a bit of a waste. Wanted Knight on Raw too. Would be an absolute star with the show moving to Netflix but I'm sure USA will want someone like him staying in place. I'm enjoying some of the random comments from show threads on reddit. Tonight had someone say this portion of the draft could've been an email. Oh, and let's start giving Bron some actual competition. It's okay if his matches on the main roster last longer than a minute.
Yep. I counted approxiatley 14 minutes of bell to bell wrestling on Smackdown tonight. Is this the new era of WWE?

Yep. I counted approxiatley 14 minutes of bell to bell wrestling on Smackdown tonight. Is this the new era of WWE?
A couple weeks ago my stepson and I considered going to the show tonight (we're in NKy), but then we considered that it was going to be a draft show with absolute minimal wrestling and decided not to waste our time and money.

In theory the draft sounds exciting until you realize it's just people coming out at random and announcing picks, so they'll pop a rating because it's a gimmick but that was pointless. You don't keep announcing Raw people back to Raw and SD people back to SD lol. For as much love as WWE has gotten recently, they still need to work on some things. More wrestling and better tag divisions. The women's tag division is nonexistent and the men's division isn't much better, yet there's three sets of tag titles for two shows. Raw will likely be better but being like, "LA Knight (current SD guy) to SD" and "Randy Orton (current SD guy) to SD" made no sense.

If it's gloves off between the two companies, WWE could promote Punk as a one night only guest GM for NXT and let him help propel NXT over Dynamite ratings wise. Some billionaires fear being broke. Others, who happen to be marks, fear mediocre ratings and a developmental brand beating his A show. If I'm Triple H, I'd like to see NXT beats Dynamite soon and I let Punk help me do it. To me, stuff like that is fun. Bringing up sex predators isn't and it's depressing. Dragon tried the same stuff here. We'd be talking wrestling and he'd pop in with RAPE! TRIPLE H NEEDS TO BE FIRED BC HE KNEW! CANCEL WWE BC RAPE! It's like, we get it but it's pretty ugly and not something any fan should be leaning on. What's interesting is there's a little reddit for AEW and those fans loved it and craved more comments like that, as if this is personal to them and they've gotta defend TK at all costs. Felt the same when AEW fans online were laughing about Punk needing surgery. When you're laughing about surgeries and wanting your leader to keep bringing up rape as a way to discredit another company, your fandom has become unhealthy imo.

Last edited:
If it's gloves off between the two companies, WWE could promote Punk as a one night only guest GM for NXT and let him help propel NXT over Dynamite ratings wise. Some billionaires fear being broke. Others, who happen to be marks, fear mediocre ratings and a developmental brand beating his A show. If I'm Triple H, I'd like to see NXT beats Dynamite soon and I let Punk help me do it. To me, stuff like that is fun. Bringing up sex predators isn't and it's depressing. Dragon tried the same stuff here. We'd be talking wrestling and he'd pop in with RAPE! TRIPLE H NEEDS TO BE FIRED BC HE KNEW! CANCEL WWE BC RAPE! It's like, we get it but it's pretty ugly and not something any fan should be leaning on. What's interesting is there's a little reddit for AEW and those fans loved it and craved more comments like that, as if this is personal to them and they've gotta defend TK at all costs. Felt the same when AEW fans online were laughing about Punk needing surgery. When you're laughing about surgeries and wanting your leader to keep bringing up rape as a way to discredit another company, your fandom has become unhealthy imo.
I agree with you on the Weinstein reference by TK, he should be above that. But apart from a couple idiots, the people who you say were "laughing" about Punk needing surgery I assume were just pointing out that Punk has a hard time staying healthy these days, which is a fair criticism IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT