ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

I wonder if the ROH library will be sold? There’s some classics there, and I’d have to think both AEW and WWE would have interest in it.

Reactions: Nbacats
Curious to hear if there was ever any discussion of TK buying out ROH. That's a pretty juicy library, and there might have been some synergy to be had, like they had (but per sources just ended) with Impact. But for the right price, the library would definitely be worth it, to flesh out AEW's sparse library after just a few years of existence.

Reactions: Nbacats
This sounds a little more detailed than Dave who makes it sound like it will cease although I’m sure they’d listen to offers…

That move Cody is talking about is the Pedigree any case anyone was wondering lol

Since it was a Halloween show I thought the main event was just good dumb fun. It was nice to see The Elite get outsmarted for once. I'm sure just as many will hate it.
Thought the rest of the show was good.

NXT got a big bump for Halloween Havoc doing 746,000 viewers.

I thought Fish and Pink was good. But I like hard stuff strikes and they both looked like hard stiff strikes. I wonder if we’re going somewhere with Fish kicking out right after the 3. Deeb and Shida was good, but I could watch Shida wrestle with a chair and I would love it.

Reactions: K-mac18
Before NXT started, ROH was the freaking best. Some truly awesome matches and talent.
ROH was still awesome until AEW. I opted to attend ROH Supercard of Honor in 2018 over the NXT TakeOver. Saw Cody Vs Omega, Marty (it’s a shame what cancel culture did to this guy) vs Castle, Ibushi vs Hangman, Bucks/Briscoes/Lethal, etc.

I love that company and atmosphere but AEW crew destroyed them.

AEW, specifically The Elite leaving, definitely hurt ROH. But the pandemic and their own bad booking did the most damage.

There’s some people I’d love in AEW. Andrade could get his wish and reunite with Rush and Dragon Lee. I’d get Brody King and put him with Malakai. King would be a star. Then I’d do everything I could to get Bandido. Those are the 4 I’d go balls to wall after. But I’d also like to see the Briscoe’s, Flip Gordon and Ec3. Ive seen a lot of people mention Gresham but I just find him
boring as shit. Plus he’s probably shorter than John Silver.

Alvarez said he was told their contracts would end at the end of the year but everyone is free to take any outside bookings they want. Wouldn’t shock me if roh didn’t even come back after this. They also had issues with their tv show today and couldn’t even air it...

I haven’t seen anyone reputable saying it but there’s a rumor that MLW will be folding next. Court Bauer did seem pretty pissed about fan’s tribalism on Twitter yesterday.

Last edited:
It is crazy to look through the people who’ve come from RoH. I do think with AEW and WWE having extremely bloated rosters, the big time independent promotions will suffer like we’re seeing with RoH. I mean, how many shows get produced between the two big companies now? They’ll grab up anyone with a little hype.

Might not be the worse thing for independents to be more regional, and not tour all over the states.

If I'm not mistaken MLW let some people go as well and Court Bauer said something about restructuring the company.

Food for Thought: AEW is somewhat dependent on their wrestlers supplementing their AEW work/salary with work at other indy feds. If that work/money starts to dry up, will AEW still be as attractive to wrestlers?

Food for Thought: AEW is somewhat dependent on their wrestlers supplementing their AEW work/salary with work at other indy feds. If that work/money starts to dry up, will AEW still be as attractive to wrestlers?
I think so, mostly because AEW seems much more employee friendly than the WWE. They also are more receptive to letting their wrestlers make money through various avenues, like twitch, etc.

Mostly everyone who has participated in some form with AEW, has spoken highly of their backstage environment. I think that will still be a big draw, along with the creative freedom.

Reactions: MoonshineMafia
I thought Fish and Pink was good. But I like hard stuff strikes and they both looked like hard stiff strikes. I wonder if we’re going somewhere with Fish kicking out right after the 3. Deeb and Shida was good, but I could watch Shida wrestle with a chair and I would love it.
Both matches were delightfully "old school" They were working over a body part, selling the injury, some really good storytelling and ring psychology going on there. Sammy and Ethan Page was pretty good as well, I'm not as big a fan of Sammy as others, but I still enjoyed it. Even the random silly fun costume party that turned into a chaotic match to end the show had moments when an actual wrestling match would break out, but in the end it was just really fun.

Fantastic point. Hadn’t thought of that scenario.

I think so, mostly because AEW seems much more employee friendly than the WWE. They also are more receptive to letting their wrestlers make money through various avenues, like twitch, etc.

Mostly everyone who has participated in some form with AEW, has spoken highly of their backstage environment. I think that will still be a big draw, along with the creative freedom.
It’s that way right now but as companies continue to grow, egos get bigger and bigger, problems start to arise, more control is demanded, etc.

what are the best matches you have seen in person?

I can't pick just one so I'll share some good ones

Undertaker vs. Batista at Mania 23
HHH vs. Cena vs. Edge at Backlash 2006
Danielson and Nigel vs. Morishima and Marufjui at a ROH show in Dayton
Jimmy Jacobs vs. BJ Whitmer in a cage at a ROH show in Detroit

Here's a few of mine

CM Punk vs. Chris Hero TLC Match- IWA Mid-South 2002
Chris Benoit vs. William Regal- Pillman Memorial Show 2001
AJ Styles vs. Bryan Danielson vs. Samoa Joe- IWA Ted Petty Finals 2005
HHH vs The Rock- Iron Man Match- Judgment Day 2000
Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage- Loser Leaves Town Match at Rupp Arena- 1985 maybe

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
Ronnie Garvin vs. Randy Savage-Jenkins High School gym, late 1970s or early 1980s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT