ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

Dynamite was awesome! Didn’t like the women’s match the first couple minutes but the last half of it was on fire and was great. Moxley giving Omega the death rider thru a glass table was crazy.

AEW stayed at #1 on Twitter all night and even held a couple other spots at the same time. Maybe they end up beating nxt in the ratings tonight? Would be a nice surprise.

The AEW crowd is what’s been missing from wrestling for years. The matches felt like ppv matches. Plus Tony and Jr together made me feel like a kid again when wrestling felt like it had magic to it. Was cool hearing a “holy shit” at the end from JR also lol.

Women’s match? I saw an inter gender match I could give two shits about. PAC/hangman was too slow. Cody and Jericho is gonna be hot. This is how you build a title program. Same with Omega/Moxley. Swagger is looking much bigger then he did before. Should be good.

AEW did it right. You can’t go all in on the first show because then there is no where but down to go.

Put on a solid show and watch the competition go all in to stop you, and sadly WWE did exactly that meanwhile their main shows suck!

That crowd was nice, and of course dipshit Vince lost that by always trying to be one step ahead instead of logically giving us what we want sometimes. Idiot.

AEW doesn’t have the depth, but they will. More people will leave WWE.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
Enjoyed both shows, obviously Cole and Riddle was awesome.

Thought the AEW main event was really good and liked the end. It had a old school NWO feel to it.

I really want Baszler off my TV...I don’t care who just someone beat her.

AEW got one of the real basics right there at the end - here is a shithead heel faction for you to hate and for the good guys to overcome.

As far as Swagger/Hager goes, the guy could always work but didn't have a personality to go with it. If you surround him with a bunch of smartasses and just let him throw people around it could be entertaining.

For a first show, there was a lot to like. I thought the production values were good, the crowd was hot, and the emphasis was on wrestling. The announce team needs time to gel, but that's understandable. It was good enough for me to want to watch it again next week, which is kind of the point, I guess.

Reactions: CrittendenWildcat
I enjoyed both AEW and NXT, first time watching both shows. AEW is old school, matches build to a crescendo and everything builds to the show climax. NXT matches are spotfests, seemed like endless action. I can appreciate either approach if done well. And both were done well last night.

I thought Page v. PAC was a very good match, not "slow" as someone else observed.

Interesting that NXT and AEW are being pitted against each other on a non-traditional night like Wednesday, because both shows put RAW and Smackdown to shame. Screw those boring Monday and Friday shows, Wednesday nights are the new frontier for wrestling. I could see BOTH Wednesday shows eventually pulling better numbers than WWE's marquee shows.

I felt Dynamite was okay, but nothing mind blowing- which is fine. I did laugh at Swagger coming out. If he is just used as Jericho’s henchman, I can live with it, but please don’t try and make him a main event guy. I felt like it was like the other aew shows I’ve seen: decent opener, some bore through the middle, and a fun finish.

Last thing I’ll say, I can’t stand the young bucks. I’ve tried several times to get into them, but they just aren’t my cup of tea.

At lease in WWE they throw some hotties out there for us. AEW gave us Rhino and a toothpick.

Also, was it just me, or was the overall work rate "slow?" I know Jericho is old AF and he's hard to look at in the ring, but even the young guys seemed to be overly deliberate with some of their high spots. Seing Cody and the skinny White Mexican guys both use springboard RKOs in the same match was weird - Cody's sucked but the one he took was ok.

I though the Ambrose spot was cool, and after last night I'll be able to pick Kenny Omega out of a lineup, but overall I wasn't thrilled with the show. It was pretty good, but I'd have thought they'd do more with a first show. Swagger looks a lot better with a beard than he did clean shaved.

Haven't watched NXT yet.

Reactions: Wesley91581
AEW did between 1.5-1.7 that is very good
That’s petty solid for their first show. Out of curiosity, what type of numbers does raw and sd usually pull? I’ve been out of the wwe loop for a long time, so I honestly don’t know what their viewership is like now.

From the Wrap:

“Professional wrestling’s “Wednesday Night Wars” officially started on cable television last night, when the new weekly AEW wrestling show debuted to 1.4 million viewers, besting USA Network’s “NXT,” which put up 891,000 viewers (down 11% from last week’s show). Among the advertiser-coveted adults 18-49 demographic, “Dynamite” scored 878,000 viewers to “NXT’s” 414,000 (up 1% from its week-ago broadcast).”

I'm shocked at the AEW numbers and how much NXT dropped but good for them.

Will see what happens next week.

Man, for as good as Pac is, I was very underwhelmed with his match last night.

Page is just there. He adds nothing.

Haven't watched NXT yet

Ironically the guy next to him has an AEW shirt
It's fitting, not ironic. It would be ironic if he were wearing a WWE shirt. Dude is probably a AEW employee.

Good for AEW. I hope Vince doesn't meddle in NXT. If NXT ends up being ruined as a result of this....:chairshot:

Looking forward to the integration of the cruisers to NXT. The Full Sail crowd will embrace that product.

They haven’t ever said his name but that looks like the guy that’s in a lot of AEW’s vids always eating an apple.

MJF is a national treasure. Nobody should be this damn good at 22 years old.

I got around to watching NXT last night and there was a UK fan representing on the front row. :joy:

Seeing Finn Balor back on NXT got me to thinking. Which NXT superstar that was called up was misused the most? There have been several but which stands out the most in your mind?

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
Joe, Nakamura, and Black are the three that come to my mind... oh and Asuka... AoP as well. List goes on... sanity... see, I can’t stop.

I get Cornette’s show before it’s out so I can work on art, so listening now...(no spoilers) but honest to god, if you dropped the “AEW” initials, I’d swear Russo was booking (from his description). Every show I’ve heard him review, I think, wait, is this Russo stuff?!

Maybe the reason why wrestling changed its formatting in the mid-90s and got rid of squash matches is because Vader killed all the job guys.

* I watched AEW live on Wednesday because I think it's better for the business at large if AEW got the early shine. The show was okay. Not offensive, not breathtaking. Moxley was the most interesting part, as always. Moxley has separated himself from the rest of those guys imo.

* They really need to tighten up their announcing. Just because you can have Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone doesn't mean you should. I think Excalibur is more adept as a play by play guy right now than JR or Tony and I like Excalibur as a different voice to the product. He stands out and in turn makes AEW stand out. But then you can't have two other play by play guys in the booth.

What I'm saying is they need Jesse Ventura.

* Jack Swagger is a gigantic man. Never realized how big that guy was, but the dude towered over the entire AEW roster. First impression when I saw him was he can't get the title because none of the rest of these guys could believably beat him for it. Might as well be Andre the Giant on that roster.

Braun Strowman's new contract reportedly worth $1.2 per year. Talk about under payed. I know that is in line with other top stars and between top 8-12 highest paid. But I thought the deal would be around 1.8, still good job by the WWE on keeping him and wonder why AEW wouldn't offer more.

His contract info is from Wrestling INC

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT