ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

Not sure how bold that is. Just looked it up and she's from London lol. That's TK's MO. It's why Swerve is transitional and Ospreay will be the new company spokesman, beginning in London. Saraya had her moment there too which didn't make a lick of sense but it made for a good photo-op.
Welp Swerve is definitely being treated like a transitional champion since the only buzz from the ppv involved MJF/cole/sasha/osperay/anarchy match

Dave from the top rope…

Dave Meltzer thought that some of the angles at #AEW Double or Nothing should've been saved for #AEWDynamite:

"When the show was over my thought was that the wrestling was really good, the crowd was really hot, most people liked the show, but they did so many angles that I can't even remember them all.

"It would've been better to spread some of them out. You have your screwy finishes and run-ins and stuff like that and that's fine, but it almost felt like every match was like that.

"That would be my main criticism of the show, that so much of it could've been done on next week's TV.

"That's the negative (but) a lot of very good wrestling, a lot of thought put into every match. The one thing I would say is that these were not cookie cutter matches."

(WOR)

I’ve seen some of the big spots on X (Formerly Twitter). How long before there’s a catastrophic injury or worse on a live broadcast?

I can respect the limits these guys are willing to go through, but someone needs to protect them from themselves.

Have to agree at least three of those matches from last night could have been saved for either Dynamite or Collision.
However if you are paying $50 to watch an AEW PPV, I appreciate the fact you get like a six hour show.
Also what was the purpose of injuring Moxley the night before if he's still going to win.
Jericho really needs to go away for a while. I keep hoping that Fozzy's upcoming 25th Anniversary tour will do just that.
As expected Mark Henry announced today his deal with AEW is up and he will not be resigning. Says he's taking time off to work on other projects. He does have an A&E Biography coming up and I bet he goes back to WWE under a Legends deal.

Raw for tonight

WWE Women's World Champion Liv Morgan vs. Becky Lynch in a steel cage match.
The fallout of WWE King and Queen of the Ring.
Braun Strowman versus JD McDonagh

Reactions: GeraldV
*ahem* THE TEAM WHO USED A FLAMETHROWER ON THE OTHER TEAM LOST

The height of sports entertainment is Jack Perry having his legs set on fire by a flamethrower. He was still able to use his burnt legs to do moves and knee strikes, getting the pin and the win for his team. Even though, again, his legs were just on fire. Here's the funny part - what happens next with his young storyline? They've already done an anything goes Wargames-like AEW vs Elite hardcore match that introduced an actual weapon. How do you escalate the storyline now? It's like Taker and Mankind feuding for two weeks then doing the Hell in the Cell right off the damn bat.

That happens in current WWE and I'm embarrassed as a WWE fan and AEW fans mock it.
It does happen in AEW and I'm embarrassed as a wrestling fan and AEW fans love it.

BREAKING NEWS: Bleacher Report recently shared a list ranking its top 40 "Greatest AEW Superstars Ever"

Agree? Disagree? How do u feel of the ranking?

40 - Dustin Rhodes
39 - Saraya
38 - Santana & Ortiz
37 - Ruby Soho
36 - House of Black
35 - The Acclaimed
34 - Claudio Castagnoli
33 - Kris Statlander
32 - Ricky Starks
31 - Wardlow
30 - Jack Perry
29 - Willow Nightingale
28 - Sammy Guevara
27 - Adam Cole
26 - Thunder Rosa
25 - Jamie Hayter
24 - Pac
23 - Brodie Lee
22 - Samoa Joe
21 - Eddie Kingston
20 - Swerve Strickland
19 - Lucha Bros
18 - Jade Cargill
17 - FTR
16 - Christian Cage
15 - Hikaru Shida
14 - Toni Storm
13 - CM Punk
12 - Darby Allin
11 - Orange Cassidy
10 - Sting
9 - Cody Rhodes
8 - Britt Baker
7 - Hangman Page
6 - Chris Jericho
5 - Bryan Danielson
4 - Young Bucks
3 - MJF
2 - Kenny Omega
1 - Jon Moxley
I bet Jericho is pissed about that.

Have to agree at least three of those matches from last night could have been saved for either Dynamite or Collision.
However if you are paying $50 to watch an AEW PPV, I appreciate the fact you get like a six hour show.
Also what was the purpose of injuring Moxley the night before if he's still going to win.
It’s the whole overcoming adversity similar to Bianca and orton selling knee injuries during their tourney matches, however, if he no sold the injury than that’s different

BREAKING NEWS: Bleacher Report recently shared a list ranking its top 40 "Greatest AEW Superstars Ever"

Agree? Disagree? How do u feel of the ranking?

40 - Dustin Rhodes
39 - Saraya
38 - Santana & Ortiz
37 - Ruby Soho
36 - House of Black
35 - The Acclaimed
34 - Claudio Castagnoli
33 - Kris Statlander
32 - Ricky Starks
31 - Wardlow
30 - Jack Perry
29 - Willow Nightingale
28 - Sammy Guevara
27 - Adam Cole
26 - Thunder Rosa
25 - Jamie Hayter
24 - Pac
23 - Brodie Lee
22 - Samoa Joe
21 - Eddie Kingston
20 - Swerve Strickland
19 - Lucha Bros
18 - Jade Cargill
17 - FTR
16 - Christian Cage
15 - Hikaru Shida
14 - Toni Storm
13 - CM Punk
12 - Darby Allin
11 - Orange Cassidy
10 - Sting
9 - Cody Rhodes
8 - Britt Baker
7 - Hangman Page
6 - Chris Jericho
5 - Bryan Danielson
4 - Young Bucks
3 - MJF
2 - Kenny Omega
1 - Jon Moxley
Swerve should be lower part of the top ten. Toni Storm should be rated higher than Britt Baker and all the other women wherever you decide to slot them. I’d move Christian and FTR both up a few slots.

Looks like Adam Copeland broke his tibia during the match with Malakai Black on Sunday.

Last edited:
So it’s interesting the week before his iwjp title match Takeshita took a shot at how he has been booked in AEW - prob should have made those comments today instead of last week

Pretty crazy to think about the similarities between jade and sasha
2022 jade was tbs champ and Sasha was wwe tag champ
2024 Sasha is tbs champ and jade is wwe tag champ

If you were watching the end of Raw on USA went to the next program before the show was over so you didn't see the Liv and Dom kiss. Apparently on YouTube TV it aired fine.

Reactions: GeraldV
I haven’t watched nxt so can’t say much about bron’s ring work but he’s in a Goldberg mold so far or a Brock/goldberg hybrid

Thought Raw kinda sucked.

Breakker is basically one part Brock, one part Goldberg, one part Steiner. In that order.

Haven't seen the Copeland stunt but even AEW fans are asking "why?" today. No one expected him to lazily coast into retirement but he's really gotten into this hardcore stuff lately. Who is the 50 year old HOFer wanting to impress? Is it Darby's backstage influence when he's not getting hit by buses? Remember Sting dropped through tables and came up short with some of his stunts while in his 60s. Either AEW doesn't have producers who can guide wrestlers into a match that makes sense or TK made some very unqualified people producers and they're still huge Jackass fans unwilling to tell the talent no.

Breakker is basically one part Brock, one part Steiner, one part Goldberg. In that order.

Haven't seen the Copeland stunt but even AEW fans are asking "why?" today. No one expected him to lazily coast into retirement but he's really gotten into this hardcore stuff lately. Who is the 50 year old HOFer wanting to impress? Is it Darby's backstage influence when he's not getting hit by buses? Remember Sting dropped through tables and came up short with some of his stunts while in his 60s. Either AEW doesn't have producers who can guide wrestlers into a match that makes sense or TK made some very unqualified people producers and they're still huge Jackass fans unwilling to tell the talent no.
He took a weird jump off the cage. Instead of doing a splash onto what's his name, he looked like he changed his mind and turned it into an elbow from the top, but he landed basically standing up and took all the weight of the fall on his legs. It was awkward looking, and maybe the table wasn't placed far enough out to land a splash.

He took a weird jump off the cage. Instead of doing a splash onto what's his name, he looked like he changed his mind and turned it into an elbow from the top, but he landed basically standing up and took all the weight of the fall on his legs. It was awkward looking, and maybe the table wasn't placed far enough out to land a splash.
Saw a fan cam version just now. Yikes. Almost looks as though he had second thoughts immediately after jumping and tried to salvage the spot with an awkward elbow...while standing. That's all on him and he pretty much says so in the video he did confirming the injury but I really wish a media member would ask Tony about these unusually dangerous spots and what have producers and TK himself actually said no to. You know Foley has already seen it and probably thought, "Adam, buddy, you're 50 and already a legend. Why?"

At least the AEW guys are getting paid big bucks for these bumps. I went to IWA shows where guys were lucky to make $50 for high spots.

I enjoy the crazy spots of wrestling, but they happen so much now that they make zero impact. It happens, then it’s on to the next spot. Edge’s TLC spear will be forever remembered, this one will fade away in a couple weeks.

Reactions: TheBlueCat

This is what I saw. Landed almost flat footed in the ring with his elbow on the man on the table. I will give the man props for being tough as nails because he wrestled for several more minutes with a broken leg, but I do have to ask why a legend of his caliber is jumping off cages at 50. Carnies.

At least the AEW guys are getting paid big bucks for these bumps. I went to IWA shows where guys were lucky to make $50 for high spots.

I enjoy the crazy spots of wrestling, but they happen so much now that they make zero impact. It happens, then it’s on to the next spot. Edge’s TLC spear will be forever remembered, this one will fade away in a couple weeks.
Exactly I get when you’re trying to get over in wwe in a wm spot and that match is talked about however many years later but when you’re 50 in AEW you don’t have to do anything that intense

So TK bringing mixed titles?

Also he found belts already for his 3 major free agent signings (Sasha/will/okada) probably promised it once they signed on

Dave Meltzer does NOT believe Tony Khan potentially Mixed Tag Team Championships to #AEW is a good idea:

"Man, the last thing they need is more championships they need to freakin’ get rid of some of these championships. Because it’s like they mean nothing and they get in the way of the championships that are supposed to mean something.

"It’s so funny because when he started it was like at first there’s going to be three championships and that’s it and then it took him a long time to do the fourth, and the fourth was ok but now he’s got what 17 or something? Some crazy number like that.

"Plus they’re recognising championships form New Japan and CMLL and not so much AAA anymore but they did from AAA as well. I don’t mind them using the New Japan championships as their partners, or if a CMLL guy comes in, but as far as AEW titles I mean there’s so many and what do they mean?

"I mean it’s almost like they have this thing, and WWE have this to a degree too, it’s almost like instead of booking programs and matches you just put championship matches, nothing but championship matches on your pay-per-view. That way you don’t have to do a lot of storylines, like big time storylines and every match has a meaning because someone’s going after a championship, but it really doesn’t when you have so many championships."

Taking big bumps for high pay isn't the problem. It's the botches and near disasters that are highlighted monthly. It's letting the wrestling world know you wanna use real glass when everyone knows that's dumb. It's Ospreay and his opponent landing on their head and necks because they're going too fast. It's Sting putting himself through furniture and bleeding. Yes, it's cringy watching an old man miss and bust his face open just to impress a younger crowd. It's going through a table, not knowing how your body will land, and being an inch away from being impaled, literally (Big Bill). It's sloppy moves, tables collapsing on their own way more than they should, cheesy explosions, and thinking barbed wire is edgy in 2024 when it's actually sorta lame. It's using a flamethrower to light your opponent on fire yet somehow the guy who was set ablaze still managed to get enough offense in to win. I'm going to sound like Cornette here, but it's a goddamn circus over there.

And Drainmaker looks like a carny-loving putz for hyping up Copeland's spot. We saw a 50 year old's body tell his brain mid-flight "no no nope" as he landed on his feet from a 15 foot jump and snapped his leg. Even in his video, Copeland has a look like he's thinking, "yep, I was really a dumbass last night."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT