ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

Maybe should've rephrased. Strowman looks the part but after the Wyatt thing ended, creative for him sucked. Tag champs with a kid, train sounds as he ran around, teaming with Ricochet, injuries, and then fired and asking for insane prices for indy dates like he was a constant main eventer. I expected a much more impressive Big Show-like career. I'm not even sure he actually loves pro wrestling.

Dark Side Of The Ring with Buff Bagwell tonight at 10:00 pm

Wasn't a big fan of the Maxine thing, and the audience couldn't have cared less.

However I did think this was pretty funny.

TK needs help…

According to Sean Ross Sapp behind Fightful’s paywall, the decision to bring in Kazuchika Okada as a heel alongside the Young Bucks was made well ahead of his signing with AEW. Tony Khan had the idea around the holidays that, once Kenny Omega was sidelined, they would effectively “fire” him from The Elite.

Khan has long believed that Okada could be a major heel star on American wrestling TV, and AEW considers Okada’s recent performances a home run. The company is confident in Okada’s chemistry with the Young Bucks, and they were pleased with the response to Okada’s segments on AEW Collision, timing his debut immediately after Sting’s retirement for maximum impact.

Jesse “the vp” Ventura!

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. has approached both New York Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers and former professional wrestler and Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura to potentially serve as his running mate in his quest to be elected president, according to Rebecca Davis O'Brien of the New York Times.
Kennedy is running as an independent candidate.
Per that report, both men have "welcomed the overtures," and Kennedy said he has been speaking with Rodgers "pretty continuously" over the past month.

Miro might be the most disappointing wrestler in recent memory. Granted, he doesn't have a personality but you can always work around that. I mean, it's either him or StroooowMAN. I also caught a clip of Okada wrestling a jobber crew on Collision and he hit what was probably the prettiest drop kick I've ever seen. Goddamn shame it was 1) against a jobber and 2) seen by only a few hundred thousand people.
A few hundred thousand people? 🤨

Reactions: Col. Angus
TK needs help…

According to Sean Ross Sapp behind Fightful’s paywall, the decision to bring in Kazuchika Okada as a heel alongside the Young Bucks was made well ahead of his signing with AEW. Tony Khan had the idea around the holidays that, once Kenny Omega was sidelined, they would effectively “fire” him from The Elite.

Khan has long believed that Okada could be a major heel star on American wrestling TV, and AEW considers Okada’s recent performances a home run. The company is confident in Okada’s chemistry with the Young Bucks, and they were pleased with the response to Okada’s segments on AEW Collision, timing his debut immediately after Sting’s retirement for maximum impact.
The creative plan for Okada thus far has been fantastic so I fail to see how THIS is any indication TK needs help.

Okada is great but look how far jay white fell off after his MJF match - remember you said he wouldn’t get screwed over then they basically gave swerve Strickland his spot.

Also we get this wardlow hype for a few weeks and he gets his title match on dynamite so there’s 0% chance he beats Joe then how will TK book wardlow it’s rinse and repeat.

Hell one of the few that’s consistently booked well is Christian and he’s the most entertaining person they have right now because of how consistently he’s utilized.

Happy AEW Big Business Day

A new AEW debut.
AEW Champion Samoa Joe vs. Wardlow.
The Elite's Young Bucks and Kazuchika Okada vs. Eddie Kingston & Penta & PAC.
Willow Nightingale vs. Riho.
FTW Champion Hook & Chris Jericho vs. The Gates Of Agony.
Jay White vs Darby Allin.

Reactions: GeraldV
Happy AEW Big Business Day

A new AEW debut.
AEW Champion Samoa Joe vs. Wardlow.
The Elite's Young Bucks and Kazuchika Okada vs. Eddie Kingston & Penta & PAC.
Willow Nightingale vs. Riho.
FTW Champion Hook & Chris Jericho vs. The Gates Of Agony.
Jay White vs Darby Allin.
a487f65bf5ff6a0bd953d2e72c7f0d90.jpg

Reactions: K-mac18
Dang this is so boring - wow that was a dud - she said nothing for 10 minutes and did a bunch of dancing.

Last edited:
Goodbye Wardlow’s push!
He’s just another guy. A big guy but nothing more.

But the show has a weird flow tonight. Mone to kick it off, World title match at 8:15 and then Okada at 8:40? What’s going to happen the last hour?

He’s just another guy. A big guy but nothing more.

But the show has a weird flow tonight. Mone to kick it off, World title match at 8:15 and then Okada at 8:40? What’s going to happen the last hour?
Ya it’s almost front loaded although Joe and Okada have been fantastic.

I think Sasha interferes in the willow and riho match maybe?

IMO the rating will start hot but will take a dive soon after. With Mone now in the fold, we're gonna get what the core AEW audience has wanted - more women's matches. Willow vs Riho doesn't scream "main event on the A show" though. We may see that last quarter slide into the 600K's like last week with Ospreay. I can't help but notice that their core audience has been talking up Dynamite lately as if it's been on fire but ratings tell the opposite story. If they're loving it then that's great but it's why I like seeing the numbers. They show if AEW stays really niche, the core audience stays happy but more fans in general drift away from TK's product. We're seeing it in real time. So do you keep your small, core audience ecstatic if it means never getting close to 900K again? Of course maybe they got a 940K average tonight. I've been wrong many a time before.

There was a point in 2021 when Raw was still a mess because of Vince and AEW had Punk that Dynamite was sorta on Raw's heels. Now Raw is just casually more than doubling Dynamite's rating every week like it's no big deal.

Also we get this wardlow hype for a few weeks and he gets his title match on dynamite so there’s 0% chance he beats Joe then how will TK book wardlow it’s rinse and repeat.

Hell one of the few that’s consistently booked well is Christian and he’s the most entertaining person they have right now because of how consistently he’s utilized.
Wardlow sucks. He should count his lucky stars he even got this much of an opportunity. How many boring ass matches does he have to have for y’all to finally realize it? If I’m TK I don’t even renew his contract whenever it expires.

Wardlow sucks. He should count his lucky stars he even got this much of an opportunity. How many boring ass matches does he have to have for y’all to finally realize it? If I’m TK I don’t even renew his contract whenever it expires.
I don’t think there were many on here that were still high on wardlow yet only reason he’s getting attention is he’s the heavy in that new stable.

IMO the rating will start hot but will take a dive soon after. With Mone now in the fold, we're gonna get what the core AEW audience has wanted - more women's matches. Willow vs Riho doesn't scream "main event on the A show" though. We may see that last quarter slide into the 600K's like last week with Ospreay. I can't help but notice that their core audience has been talking up Dynamite lately as if it's been on fire but ratings tell the opposite story. If they're loving it then that's great but it's why I like seeing the numbers. They show if AEW stays really niche, the core audience stays happy but more fans in general drift away from TK's product. We're seeing it in real time. So do you keep your small, core audience ecstatic if it means never getting close to 900K again? Of course maybe they got a 940K average tonight. I've been wrong many a time before.

There was a point in 2021 when Raw was still a mess because of Vince and AEW had Punk that Dynamite was sorta on Raw's heels. Now Raw is just casually more than doubling Dynamite's rating every week like it's no big deal.
Me reading you're post

200w.gif

Nerd

I know you'll be shocked by this but I thought the show was really good last night. I would have waited until later in the show to debut Mone' because you assume that's what people are tuning in for. Do it at 8:00 pm and it's like "cool she's here" and move on.

Also for as big of a fan as I've been of his over the years Jericho needs to go on tour and go away for a while.

Ratings should be in soon.

I know you'll be shocked by this but I thought the show was really good last night. I would have waited until later in the show to debut Mone' because you assume that's what people are tuning in for. Do it at 8:00 pm and it's like "cool she's here" and move on.

Also for as big of a fan as I've been of his over the years Jericho needs to go on tour and go away for a while.

Ratings should be in soon.
As wesley said, bet that's why they stacked Joe and Okada after her in that first hour, to try and hold some of the hopefully new viewers.

Jericho needs to go on tour for about nine months as he is getting real stale.

I like Mone working with the youngun's in Sky and Hart. Maybe they can get a little rub off of her in the feud.

Reactions: K-mac18
Thought it would do better than that but as you all were talking about everything you may have been interested in was in the first hour. Sounds like folks tuned out after 9:30 pm.

And there ya go. I didn't think Willow vs Riho was bad or anything but on a big show that's been promoted for weeks (without telling the wrestling world the "former Sasha Banks" was debuting for some reason) that's what you come up with? And why? To please Mone and show her you're willing to have two random women in the main event? The words "disappointing" and "AEW rating" are starting to go hand-in-hand.

822,000 - Ospreay's re-debut.
779,000 - Okada's re-debut plus a random Ospreay match with no build.
801,000 - Big Business/Mercedes debut with *raises invisible glasses to make sure this is correct* Willow and Riho as your main event.

And before the 822K number, there was 828K, 811K, 805K, 818K. #SaveUsMJF?

Also regarding Jericho, it is what it is at this point. He was Tony's first major star and former WWE guy. TK apparently trusts Jericho and reportedly gave him a 10 year deal making him the highest paid star in the company. Jericho shows up once a week so he's still able to fit in cruise appearances or do a rock festival like Louder Than Life because Fozzy will only play for like 25 minutes. His band isn't big enough to do some major world or N. American tour where he'll be doing that for 8 months. In short, AEW and those watching are stuck with Jericho. Tony = Mitch. Jericho = Cal.

I thought the Sasha Mone debut was weak. She had zero energy and did not appear to be in peak physical condition either. Brought nothing on the mic. Nothing seemed genuine. She’s there for a check and that’s it.

Tony is doing right by Samoa Joe. I just wish this kind of run happened for him 10-12 years ago.

It’s more and more difficult for me to tune in consistently. I want to like that product but they’re so inconsistent.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
I thought the Sasha Mone debut was weak. She had zero energy and did not appear to be in peak physical condition either. Brought nothing on the mic. Nothing seemed genuine. She’s there for a check and that’s it.
She's been injured but apparently signed two months ago. Always liked her but in the last several months there's been a false mystique around her. I don't know if it's from a specific online audience or some in the wrestling media building her up as a can't miss free agent to try and bring their own social media numbers up. A couple popular personalities online have been hyping her to the moon and back. Oddly enough when she talked about WWE in that most recent interview, she teared up. That was genuine. She'll be back in WWE with her bud Bayley in a couple years imo. Can't blame her for accepting several million with the option to work less dates.

Reactions: Strokin_Bandit
She's been injured but apparently signed two months ago. Always liked her but in the last several months there's been a false mystique around her. I don't know if it's from a specific online audience or some in the wrestling media building her up as a can't miss free agent to try and bring their own social media numbers up. A couple popular personalities online have been hyping her to the moon and back. Oddly enough when she talked about WWE in that most recent interview, she teared up. That was genuine. She'll be back in WWE with her bud Bayley in a couple years imo. Can't blame her for accepting several million with the option to work less dates.
In fact there’s a couple fan that spotted bayley way up top hidden away from cameras.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT