ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

Per Wrestlenomics, the initial Dynamite rating of 801,000 didn't include the 6-minute overrun. Now included, the 801,000 average is brought down to 798,000. That's two weeks in a row Dynamite couldn't reach an average of 800,000. We're watching a weekly show where fans are changing the channel throughout, coming back briefly for the top of the 9 o'clock hour, then leaving again. They've got serious issues if viewers are now turning the show off during the main event too.

Smack down was cruddy tonight. Another 25 minute Rock promo and nothing else the rest of the night basically.

Darby Allen’s Everest trip is off as he broke his foot in the Jay White match.

Also I think it was mentioned above but Sasha’s theme is terrible - there’s some music and a constant “CEO” chant.

Thought WWE was meh this week. Raw was sort of dull and watching UK not show up last night didn't help my viewing experience with SD but from what I saw, again, meh. They finally hit us with the Hollywood Rock theme though, which was nice.

Saw Nikki Bella on twitter shilling for AEW, saying how she wants and needs to be there because it's a (women's) global revolution with Mercedes there. C'mon TK, pay those twins millions. Everyone knows they're the ones who really kicked off a new era in women's wrestling. It all started with those WWE HOF catalog models. This'll be interesting to watch - not the Bellas - but women's wrestling fans forcing AEW to showcase more and more women's wrestling. WWE can get away with the occasional women's main event or a women's RR or War Games. Not sure AEW can and if Wednesday is any indication, fans will just change the channel.

• Haha
Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Thought WWE was meh this week. Raw was sort of dull and watching UK not show up last night didn't help my viewing experience with SD but from what I saw, again, meh. They finally hit us with the Hollywood Rock theme though, which was nice.

Saw Nikki Bella on twitter shilling for AEW, saying how she wants and needs to be there because it's a (women's) global revolution with Mercedes there. C'mon TK, pay those twins millions. Everyone knows they're the ones who really kicked off a new era in women's wrestling. It all started with those WWE HOF catalog models. This'll be interesting to watch - not the Bellas - but women's wrestling fans forcing AEW to showcase more and more women's wrestling. WWE can get away with the occasional women's main event or a women's RR or War Games. Not sure AEW can and if Wednesday is any indication, fans will just change the channel.
Is she the one married to Daniel Bryan?

Brie is married to Danielson, Nikki was in the power couple with Cena. Amazingly, they're both much better than Maxxine which begs the question, why are we seeing her on Raw every week?

Reactions: AmericanDragon
You just inadvertently nailed the crux of the issue for AEW. TK thinks the average wrestling fan has the time to not only watch all AEW programming but also ROH, New Japan, DDT, and now CMLL. As a kid I was able to watch Raw and a lot of Nitro, Thunder, SD, WCW Saturday night, Clash of the Champions, and Sunday Night Heat. Fans of any age now aren't going to watch like 16 hours of wrestling per week plus live on wrestling reddits and Cagematch.nerd. They're also not going to invest time researching clips on YT like they're studying for a wrassle quiz given by their teacher Mr. Khan.

Dump these random 50+ Japanese guys who move in silence because they can't speak the language and if there's going to be some sort of invasion angle, you should probably make sure the viewer recognizes the invaders. Remember the response the Wyatt Family got when they debuted on Raw? They were in NXT when many felt that was the best WWE show and had several video packages before their main roster debut. Guys like Cornette are correct - Tony really does believe the rest of us just know the ins and outs of several smaller promotions around the globe. Most wrestling fans had no idea what Cagematch was until a month ago.
Finally went to Cagematch to check out who their contributors listed as the top 10 wrestlers of all-time.

1 Kenta Kobashi
2 Mitsuharu Misawa
3 Toshiaki Kawada
4 Manami Toyota
5 Akira Hokuto
6 Mayu Iwatani
7 Kazuchika Okada
8 Jumbo Tsuruta
9 Hiroshi Tanahashi
10 Lou Thesz

So, yeah.

Finally went to Cagematch to check out who their contributors listed as the top 10 wrestlers of all-time.

1 Kenta Kobashi
2 Mitsuharu Misawa
3 Toshiaki Kawada
4 Manami Toyota
5 Akira Hokuto
6 Mayu Iwatani
7 Kazuchika Okada
8 Jumbo Tsuruta
9 Hiroshi Tanahashi
10 Lou Thesz

So, yeah.
All those guys were great in Kurosawa's 1954 classic Seven Samurai. Was shocked when Lou Thesz showed up as a wandering basket maker though.

Meh, not everything needs to be a competition between the two companies but if you wanna go there...sure, that's needless overselling but ole boy from a couple weeks back took the Fameasser, no sold it and popped back up, walked around to find the ropes, and as Cornette put it, threw himself over the top rope as if he was committing suicide. Both aren't great, but the AEW one was next level ridiculous. Anyway, the king of overselling is HBK during his match with Hulkster.

Alrighty. No one should complain about overselling in one company if it also occurs in another company.

If people want to laugh at the Fameasser spot, let them. If people want to laugh at the spot on SD, let them. Doesn't always gotta be an either/or comparison between the two companies.

Dave must be back on the payroll…

Dave Meltzer believes Will Ospreay has "more charisma" and is "much better" in the ring than Cody Rhodes:

"WWE doesn't 'need' him - they don't 'need' anyone. But he is the most talented wrestler in the world, and it was a miss by WWE not getting him. He's got more charisma than Cody Rhodes, and look at Cody Rhodes there, you know?

"I've seen him in programs, I saw him with the Kenny Omega promo, I saw him with Michael Oku, he can do that stuff. There was the question, but even the promo on Wednesday, it's like, he can be that guy.

"It would take him a little while to get to the Seth Rollins level, but once he got there, he would surpass him. And with Cody, Cody has so much goodwill - I'm not saying he would surpass Cody, but in time he probably would just because he's 30 and Cody's 38. He's on the way up and Cody's (already) there.

"In the ring, he's much better than Cody. Cody's fantastic as a character, and his story, he really made the story work.

"The funny part is, essentially, Will can do the same story in AEW. It won't be as big because they don't have a Roman Reigns opponent, and the AEW Title historically doesn't mean as much as the WWE Title to as many people. But they can still do that story."

(Wrestling Observer Radio)

Dave must be back on the payroll…

Dave Meltzer believes Will Ospreay has "more charisma" and is "much better" in the ring than Cody Rhodes:

"WWE doesn't 'need' him - they don't 'need' anyone. But he is the most talented wrestler in the world, and it was a miss by WWE not getting him. He's got more charisma than Cody Rhodes, and look at Cody Rhodes there, you know?

"I've seen him in programs, I saw him with the Kenny Omega promo, I saw him with Michael Oku, he can do that stuff. There was the question, but even the promo on Wednesday, it's like, he can be that guy.

"It would take him a little while to get to the Seth Rollins level, but once he got there, he would surpass him. And with Cody, Cody has so much goodwill - I'm not saying he would surpass Cody, but in time he probably would just because he's 30 and Cody's 38. He's on the way up and Cody's (already) there.

"In the ring, he's much better than Cody. Cody's fantastic as a character, and his story, he really made the story work.

"The funny part is, essentially, Will can do the same story in AEW. It won't be as big because they don't have a Roman Reigns opponent, and the AEW Title historically doesn't mean as much as the WWE Title to as many people. But they can still do that story."

(Wrestling Observer Radio)
I don't know if either of them are supercharismatic, but if you don't think that Ospreay is much better in ring than Cody, I'm not sure what you are watching. And that's not a shot at Cody....Ospreay is just that much better than anyone right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT