ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Beard to Arkansas?

Was Ray Rice acting in self defense? We saw that video, she hit him and he hit her. In this case there was evidence of bite marks, as well as cuts and bruises on her face and legs. Once she realized the guy she was engaged to was about to lose his high paying job, she recanted. They evidence of him biting her, cutting her and bruising her was there.
I wasn't invovled in the Ray Rice fiasco, nor do I know the full story for a brief video clip? Evidently you're an expert on it, much like with the Chris Beard situation.

Was Rice convicted?
Some of you think a lot more of this guy than he is worth. Too many other better ones out there. To my knowledge they do not beat women and leave bite marks..

He has been pretty successful everywhere he has been with that style.

Do you have any evidence he did what you're accusing him of?
No disrespect, but this entire comment drips of ignorance about what really happens during domestic abuse. Her recanting her story follows the script of high profile/famous domestic abuse perfectly.
Accusing someone of something with no facts or evidence seems a lot more ignorant.

It's also especially ignorant to think all domestic abuse incidents are the same or have the same outcomes.

Some of you all truly believe that being accused means automatic guilt. Very strange.

Reactions: gojvc
Not only a lawyer but an engineer too! Crazy smart to go into 2 completely unrelated fields. I know lawyers can have a variety of undergrad degrees but I haven’t met too many engineer lawyers before. Most are History, English, political science types. I bet he has a minor in Physics as well.
Gotta have that pedigree to be a patent attorney, fyi.

Reactions: Fox2monk
He can get dudes so he says.
not that there's anything wrong with that seinfeld GIF by myLAB Box

Reactions: Zissou87
Not only a lawyer but an engineer too! Crazy smart to go into 2 completely unrelated fields. I know lawyers can have a variety of undergrad degrees but I haven’t met too many engineer lawyers before. Most are History, English, political science types. I bet he has a minor in Physics as well.
I'm guessing you haven't been in many law schools then. Engineering is actually a very common undergrad and/or master's degree for law students. Particularly in more of the technology/computer age. A lot of money can be made tying in those degrees with IP law, Property law, Business law, mergers and Acquisitions, startups and ventures capitalist. However, that also requires knowledge of tax law, securities regulations, national security law and several other areas. If you look at the firm Wilmer Hale, they do a lot of work with silicone valley, and many of their attorneys had engineering and science backgrounds. Also, check the in house counsels for many of your technology businesses and their backgrounds. You will find they also have engineering of science backgrounds.

Computer science degrees are also very common. Much of today's legal climate focuses on digital crimes and torts, and the regulation of it moving forward.

This thread went from a new coach at Arkansas to a marathon session of the Dr Phil show. I think we’ve all witnessed redemption at disgusting levels in sports. Nothing surprises me any more with the second, third, fourth or even fifth chances some of these guys get with jobs. That’s because all they have to do is thrown money on the fire to smother it out. Money will buy your way out of a lot of things. Arkansas turned into a complete shitshow last year on many levels. The next guy will need to start all over. Nowadays that’s not as difficult as it looks with the waiver wire/transfer portal. Hell our WBB just poached 3 players from the coaches old team.

why are people so high on him? i don't get it.
I get it. He’s elevated programs quickly and has been to a title game. Not on my short list like I said, but we could do a lot worse when the time comes.

He wasn't. Nor did his victims recant.

To be guilty, yea! That's kind of how the courts work in the US.

Also, his fiance recanted and basically admitted he acted in self-defense.

Trew said Beard was acting in self-defense and she “doesn’t believe Chris was trying to intentionally harm me in any way.”

“Chris and I are deeply saddened that we have brought negative attention upon our family, friends, and the University of Texas, among others,” the statement said. “As Chris’ fiancée and biggest supporter, I apologize for the role I played in this unfortunate event. I realize that my frustration, when breaking his glasses, initiated a physical struggle between Chris and myself.”

Typically, KXAN doesn’t publically name alleged victims of domestic violence, but in this case, Trew agreed to be named publically, according to Associated Press.

“Chris did not strangle me, and I told that to law enforcement that evening. Chris has stated that he was acting in self-defense, and I do not refute that. I do not believe Chris was trying to intentionally harm me in any way. It was never my intent to have him arrested or prosecuted. We appreciate everyone’s support and prayers during this difficult time,” Trew’s statement said

So, which statement of hers do you choose to beleive?
Save your breath man. Some people would still watch a woman beat the piss out of a dude and the second he got physical with her to protect himself, it's game over. He screwed up, but it's not nearly as bad as was initially made out to be.

I'm 87 and was married a long time before my wife passed. I told her she was crazy and she told me the same thing, but we never bit each other, at least not when we were mad.
This made me laugh out loud in the middle of a high school classroom. So awesome.

Save your breath man. Some people would still watch a woman beat the piss out of a dude and the second he got physical with her to protect himself, it's game over. He screwed up, but it's not nearly as bad as was initially made out to be.
I'm more ammused by the fact these people think they know the facts and circumstances based off media reports, which many of them routinely decry as fake news and unreliable. Until of course it's something they want to agree with.

They also beleive what she initially said to police, but don't beleive what she said after the fact. So, again, they beleive what they want to be true and not want they don't want to be true.

Then there is the whole innocent until proven guilty thing that evidently doesn't exist in their America. Now, if the shoe was on their foot, they of course would be innocent and think the system is out to screw them.

Got a cousin that's an engineer (mechanical, I think) and got an MBA. I was super confused by the move. Then he found this niche market and basically quadrupled his pay in a few years. Crazy.

I'm more ammused by the fact these people think they know the facts and circumstances based off media reports, which many of them routinely decry as fake news and unreliable. Until of course it's something they want to agree with.

They also beleive what she initially said to police, but don't beleive what she said after the fact. So, again, they beleive what they want to be true and not want they don't want to be true.

Then there is the whole innocent until proven guilty thing that evidently doesn't exist in their America. Now, if the shoe was on their foot, they of course would be innocent and think the system is out to screw them.
Right? It's almost like people just believe what they want to believe. If it fits their agenda, they'll take anything at face value. If it doesn't, then no chance it's true. They literally will believe what was said by the woman in one moment, then not believe her another moment.

Something I’m seeing out there that I’m not seeing on here. He’s not really on my list, but he would accept the UK job in a heartbeat if he ever got the call.

I hope not. But even if he does if we want him later we’ll just take him anyway. But he’ll kill it at Arkansas. Another problem in conference. Hopefully they go in another direction.

I don’t know what happened between him and his wife. I know that a lot of people have a Superman complex when it comes to this sort of thing, but they’ve never offered one second of real time to fighting for women who are not in headlines and deal with this issue in the real world. Not a dime, nor any time. Virtuous AND easy. That’s nice.

Last edited:
This statement from Texas speaks volumes.

It also said that the letter sent from Minton showed that Beard did not understand the significance of his behavior, which the university described as a "lack of self-awareness" and "yet another failure of judgment that makes Mr. Beard unfit to serve as head coach at our university."

Beard had the #7 team in the nation when this happened, and Texas still fired him with cause even after she recanted her story. It's not like the program was struggling and they were looking for an excuse to get rid of him without paying his buyout. I'm guessing that Texas did some digging and found something or several somethings they didn't like and made the call to cut him loose. "Lack of self-awareness" and "yet another failure of judgement" can be a disastrous combination for someone who is the face of one of your major athletic programs.

I read that she was forced to resign from her job as a HS volleyball coach for abusing her players.

Since some people here are defending him and saying she is crazy, I believe they are still together, which clearly shows extremely poor judgement on his part at the very least.

It also said that the letter sent from Minton showed that Beard did not understand the significance of his behavior, which the university described as a "lack of self-awareness" and "yet another failure of judgment that makes Mr. Beard unfit to serve as head coach at our university."

Beard had the #7 team in the nation when this happened, and Texas still fired him with cause even after she recanted her story. It's not like the program was struggling and they were looking for an excuse to get rid of him without paying his buyout. I'm guessing that Texas did some digging and found something or several somethings they didn't like and made the call to cut him loose. "Lack of self-awareness" and "yet another failure of judgement" can be a disastrous combination for someone who is the face of one of your major athletic programs.
More so public pressure and needing to demonstrate cause was met.

Got a cousin that's an engineer (mechanical, I think) and got an MBA. I was super confused by the move. Then he found this niche market and basically quadrupled his pay in a few years. Crazy.
That’s sweet. Engineers can make a killing for sure. This chick I knew in high school, her dad owned a business that designed and built bridges. He was loaded.

I'm guessing you haven't been in many law schools then. Engineering is actually a very common undergrad and/or master's degree for law students. Particularly in more of the technology/computer age. A lot of money can be made tying in those degrees with IP law, Property law, Business law, mergers and Acquisitions, startups and ventures capitalist. However, that also requires knowledge of tax law, securities regulations, national security law and several other areas. If you look at the firm Wilmer Hale, they do a lot of work with silicone valley, and many of their attorneys had engineering and science backgrounds. Also, check the in house counsels for many of your technology businesses and their backgrounds. You will find they also have engineering of science backgrounds.

Computer science degrees are also very common. Much of today's legal climate focuses on digital crimes and torts, and the regulation of it moving forward.
Cool just seemed weird to me, especially for someone his age.

I wasn't invovled in the Ray Rice fiasco, nor do I know the full story for a brief video clip? Evidently you're an expert on it, much like with the Chris Beard situation.

Was Rice convicted?

He has been pretty successful everywhere he has been with that style.

Do you have any evidence he did what you're accusing him of?

Accusing someone of something with no facts or evidence seems a lot more ignorant.

It's also especially ignorant to think all domestic abuse incidents are the same or have the same outcomes.

Some of you all truly believe that being accused means automatic guilt. Very strange.
Can you explain why he was fired at UT? Obviously you do not think he did anything wrong. If you had paid attention you would know there was plenty of evidence, including bite marks, bruises etc. Plus the fact 911 was called. I do not want him as coach. I will never accept him as a coach at UK. Oh yeah, He wasnt successful at Mississippi this past year. If he had scheduled real teams the first part of the year, he would have had a horrible losing season.

Gotta have that pedigree to be a patent attorney, fyi.
I just thought it was funny. Not only am I a lawyer, I’m also an engineer. Like damn did you get a physics degree on the side as well? That is a lot of work and someone who is definitely intelligent.

Can you explain why he was fired at UT? Obviously you do not think he did anything wrong. If you had paid attention you would know there was plenty of evidence, including bite marks, bruises etc. Plus the fact 911 was called. I do not want him as coach. I will never accept him as a coach at UK. Oh yeah, He wasnt successful at Mississippi this past year. If he had scheduled real teams the first part of the year, he would have had a horrible losing season.
Public pressure and outcry.

911 calls don't prove abuse happened. Particularly when the victim later says it didn't.

Additionally, victims have been known to cause their own bruises and bites marks, or try to claim a mark caused by something else is bite mark. Beard can also inadvertently cause bruises by trying to defend himself.

Can you show us this evidence? Have you actually seen any of it? Have you spoken to the officers involved or anyone with actual firsthand knowledge?

I don’t know if he did or didn't do anything wrong, which is why it would be incredibly ignorant of me to assume he did. I am going off what the victim has stated and the fact he wasn't prosecuted for it.

You seem convinced of his guilt without having any involvement, simply based on news reports.

He did pretty well for a coach taking over a team in his first year.

To be honest, how you feel won't really matter to the people making the decision.

In terms of pure coaching and nothing outside of that spectrum i believe he absolutely is he had ole miss a perennial dumpster fire in the top 25 this year. If youre looking to hire a coach you can do much worse than beard. Again if you want to hate him for off the court things thats fine.
What has he done to prove he's top 5? He had a really fantastic 2 year stretch at Texas Tech but other than that it's been underwhelming in my opinion. Like how do you put him above Izzo, Drew, Few, Hurley, Sampson, (I can't stand the next two) Pearl, or Pitino? I could think of more accomplished coaches if need be.

That Ole Miss ranking was a flash in the pan and turned out to be the same dumpster fire once in conference play.

Public pressure and outcry.

911 calls don't prove abuse happened. Particularly when the victim later says it didn't.

Additionally, victims have been known to cause their own bruises and bites marks, or try to claim a mark caused by something else is bite mark. Beard can also inadvertently cause bruises by trying to defend himself.

Can you show us this evidence? Have you actually seen any of it? Have you spoken to the officers involved or anyone with actual firsthand knowledge?

I don’t know if he did or didn't do anything wrong, which is why it would be incredibly ignorant of me to assume he did. I am going off what the victim has stated and the fact he wasn't prosecuted for it.

You seem convinced of his guilt without having any involvement, simply based on news reports.

He did pretty well for a coach taking over a team in his first year.

To be honest, how you feel won't really matter to the people making the decision.
True. I am convinced of his guilt. All evidence, and there was evidence, indicate that he was guilty. Fair? Maybe not. But I dont want the creep anywhere around UK basketball. There are too many good choices out there without choosing a woman beater and biter, fact or fiction. Why are you beating his drum so loud?

Reactions: JDHoss
Well with so many coaching changes this year, hopefully that makes it easier for us to get a replacement next year when the inevitable time comes. Only problem is a number of coaches got extensions from these coaching changes and it will likely make it so we can't get our top picks. That's why we should have just made the move this year and taken a chance on a mid major coach or an assistant from a power 5 school. Just get the ball rolling and get the fans back onboard. If it doesn't work out, we likely won't be in any worse shape than we already are and options will be better in a few years.

Pretty big red flag, to say the least

True. I am convinced of his guilt. All evidence, and there was evidence, indicate that he was guilty. Fair? Maybe not. But I dont want the creep anywhere around UK basketball. There are too many good choices out there without choosing a woman beater and biter, fact or fiction. Why are you beating his drum so loud?
What evidence? What have you seen? What of that isn't disputable?

Other than media reports, what have you actually seen or heard about it?

If there is such compelling evidence of his guilt, why not indict, prosecute and convict?

Because he is a great coach who would do very well here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT