ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino says if he could do it all over again that he would've stayed at UK

Also said Dick Vitale tells him everytime he see him that he would have more wins than anyone if he stayed. Can't post it but I can't across the video on social media. He was wearing his St Johns apparel
Old news.

We have read this a lot on here.

I see we have the usually pitino ass kissers saying we would have won an additional 6 titles if he was here and passed ucla. Pure delusion.

What was his record against Calipari at UK?

What's his record against Tubby?

Either he's the greatest coach ever, or all you have to do is just out recruit him and he can't over come it. Which is it?

Best case scenario would have been him winning 98 and say one or two more times max. UKs titles would only increase by one then. UCLA was always safe. We may have won more sec tourneys etc. maybe we avoid some early season clunkers. Glad to have dodged the scandals. Also don’t think he would have adapted any better to portal and NIL and COVID kids.

The haters will parrot the “he was only 2-8 against Cal at UL,” but swap coaches on each sideline and see how that number changes. Pitino at UK during that same stretch and Cal at UL, I’d almost venture Pitino would have been undefeated. He was primed to reel off the best run in history had he never left. He knows it, too. Pitino and UK was as perfect a pairing as any ever could have been.

Not to defend Pitino because as a person, he's not a good human being, but we are supposed to forgive. However, that aside, I don't think he left "voluntarily." It was a well known fact around Lexington at the time, that his wife did NOT like Lexington and thought we were all hillbillies. She was the one who wanted to go to New York. All the while he was here, she would travel back and forth to NY a lot. She even bitched about it to the newspaper during an interview. How stupid can you be, huh? There were several letters to the editor that said she could leave but he should stay. I guess at the time she wore the pants in that relationship.

The most fun I had as a UK basketball fan was those years he was here, I know it was a different time then but man, they were fun to watch even his first year "Pitino Bambino's" who were 14-14 were a joy to view.His teams played with passion and were fundamentally sound.

The haters will parrot the “he was only 2-8 against Cal at UL,” but swap coaches on each sideline and see how that number changes. Pitino at UK during that same stretch and Cal at UL, I’d almost venture Pitino would have been undefeated. He was primed to reel off the best run in history had he never left. He knows it, too. Pitino and UK was as perfect a pairing as any ever could have been.
Cal also beat the best team we have ever had when Pitino was the coach, so it seems like he really just had his number. How Cal went from that and his first seasons here, to what he's given us lately, is mind blowing. Nobody seen this coming in the early years, obviously were weren't going to go to 8 final fours each decade, but to be an afterthought in the tournament is disgraceful.

His last few years here were filled with him going to the NBA to coach rumors right after the season. It got old fast for us KENTUCKY fans. It hurt recruiting somewhat too. Very few freshmen contributed a lot at that time so the effects didn’t show until about 2 years after he left (after Turner and Padgett graduated). He didn’t adjust to the one and done era and those type of players didn’t exactly want to play for him either.

Reactions: G-PIP
For those that lived through the Pitino years it was the best of times. I've never been a bigger fan of the program than during those years.

Reactions: dcw62
He lost some top recruits too because they said they just couldn’t believe what he said, couldn’t take him for his word.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT