ADVERTISEMENT

Can we talk about Quickley's "Charge"?

Dec 3, 2016

Re-watching the second half of the game and even though I know the outcome, the charge call on Quickley has me just a hot and furious as it did the first time.. The defender was still in the restricted area when Quickley left his feet AND THEN the defender moved about a foot to his left under Quick... I realize block/charge calls are bang-bang sometimes, but how do you miss something as obvious as that? I remember a few years ago when they were trying to give the offensive players more freedom to increase the flow of the game and they changed the rule to where the defenders feet needed to be set when the offensive player was gathering the ball to go up for a shot...IK it's not like that now, but when and why did that rule change?

Last edited:
My mother is watching basketball for the first time this year and that is the exact play I point out every time it happens that is ruining college basketball. Go to the NBA lane and move that arc under the basket out another 5 feet.

I absolutely can't stand the let me jump in front of another player defense! Get that crap outta the game! If your man gets beat, block the guys shot or give up the layup. This kinda garbage takes star players out of games that people pay to see and lowers scoring which is bad for attendance/excitement. The rules need to change completely, even the adjustments they've tried to make over the years are never called right.

Last edited:
Jim Spanarkel said "it's probably the right call" and then later suggested the rule needs to be tweaked but that's absolutely incorrect.

The call was a bad call period. The defender didn't establish legal guarding position until after Quickley had already left his feet. Should have been a blocking foul on Florida and two shots for Quickley.

Falling down isn't defense. Charges should be rare. Unless it's clearly a charge, it should be a block.

The rules are already in place. Refs just need to actually follow them

Right. Benefit of the doubt should always go to the offensive player. Defender should be CLEARLY set before contact or before the offensive player leaves his feet.

Right. Benefit of the doubt should always go to the offensive player. Defender should be CLEARLY set before contact or before the offensive player leaves his feet.

Agree but I'd go even further. If the defender is there for the sole purpose of taking a charge, it should be a block. This notion that standing there and falling down equates to defense needs to go.

I HATE 99% of the offensive foul calls!!!

It is destroying the game!! Fans come to watch athletic kids ATTACK the basket!! These CRAPPY offensive foul calls only stifle that aspect of the game. I want to see kids tear the goal down by driving HARD to the basket and making a play, NOT some kid slide over and keep the driver from using his athleticism to score!!!

WHY doesn't the NCAA do something about it??!!!!

This was the play that started the downward spiral from 10 to an 18 point deficit. It was also just after the time of the bench technical and before the Cal T when he thought he was ejected. The wurst sequence of the game for UK basically.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
They was trying to get Quickley off the court quickly.

Went back to look for the "Trip" on quickley's 4th foul to show yall too but couldn't find it.. the Florida guy put his legs between Maxey's and tripped, there was ample space between Quick and the offensive player. Like you said, they were just trying to get Quick out of there

Jim Spanarkel said "it's probably the right call" and then later suggested the rule needs to be tweaked but that's absolutely incorrect.

The call was a bad call period. The defender didn't establish legal guarding position until after Quickley had already left his feet. Should have been a blocking foul on Florida and two shots for Quickley.
Spanarkal is awful. It was killing him that he had to say that last tip in was probably good,

I’ve been a long proponent of getting rid of charges in college basketball. It allows less athletic players to make plays on defense. Keep the offensive foul with the arm extension but get rid of watching guys slide in and fall down and calling it smart defense.

I'm okay with the charge if the player is there before the gather.. If not, you could just drive straight into the defender to draw a foul every time. Feet set before the gather would discourage players from trying to get in front to draw a charge as well cause if they do try to draw a charge... a quick side step or euro step and the offensive player has a wide open layup

Reactions: kgargus

since you are well versed in a lot of things.

Question,

is it after Quickley leaves the ground, or when he starts the jumping motion?

(in this instance, its obviously a blocking call, but i want to know the detail of the foul)

And just for the record I'm not one of those people who think the charge should be outlawed. That's ridiculous. If there was no way to draw a charge then basketball would devolve into bully-ball, and that's nothing that's going to help the game.

To me a charge is absolutely a valid part of the game of the basketball, but it is often called when it shouldn't be. The key is the defender has to establish legal guarding position in time, which is very hard to do sometimes.

I know a lot has been made, starting about five years ago, that it's technically possible for a defender to establish legal guarding position (lgp) and then move laterally with the offensive player while retaining lgp. And while I agree that's true that it's possible, it's also incredibly rare to see it happen in practice. Too often when this is mentioned the defender was moving but never actually established lgp in the first place.

It's become a crutch for officials and announcers alike to ignore bad calls IMO.

And just for the record I'm not one of those people who think the charge should be outlawed. That's ridiculous. If there was no way to draw a charge then basketball would devolve into bully-ball, and that's nothing that's going to help the game.

To me a charge is absolutely a valid part of the game of the basketball, but it is often called when it shouldn't be. The key is the defender has to establish legal guarding position in time, which is very hard to do sometimes.

I know a lot has been made, starting about five years ago, that it's technically possible for a defender to establish legal guarding position (lgp) and then move laterally with the offensive player while retaining lgp. And while I agree that's true that it's possible, it's also incredibly rare to see it happen in practice. Too often when this is mentioned the defender was moving but never actually established lgp in the first place.

It's become a crutch for officials and announcers alike to ignore bad calls IMO.
I agree that there should be a charge call but I just wish there was some way to regulate it so that it didn’t completely destroy good offensive moves. It makes me puke when some slow defender stands there with his hands down at his side in the obvious “take a charge pose”, gets the tiniest bit of contact, and falls straight backwards.

Reactions: kgargus
I’ve never been a fan of those kind of charge calls . I wish they would make these guys play defense instead of bailing them out by calling it a charge.

Contest the shot!
This. The only way to make it stop is to do away w the “block/charge” concept. Why have a special foul category? That just encourages attempting to “draw” a charge.

In reality, it’s a player safety concern. Sliding under someone like that and big full speed collisions crashing to the hardwood increases chances of injury.

Reactions: shaudyshaud

Re-watching the second half of the game and even though I know the outcome, the charge call on Quickley has me just a hot and furious as it did the first time.. The defender was still in the restricted area when Quickley left his feet AND THEN the defender moved about a foot to his left under Quick... I realize block/charge calls are bang-bang sometimes, but how do you miss something as obvious as that? I remember a few years ago when they were trying to give the offensive players more freedom to increase the flow of the game and they changed the rule to where the defenders feet needed to be set when the offensive player was gathering the ball to go up for a shot...IK it's not like that now, but when and why did that rule change?
In the arc and Quickley was already jumping before he even got his feet set

Spunknarkel is still butthurt over ‘78.

Reactions: UKGrad93
This. The only way to make it stop is to do away w the “block/charge” concept. Why have a special foul category? That just encourages attempting to “draw” a charge.

In reality, it’s a player safety concern. Sliding under someone like that and big full speed collisions crashing to the hardwood increases chances of injury.
Yeah you can’t slide under someone shooting a jumper so why do they allowed defenders to do it when someone drives .

The only time I agree with a charge call is if someone pushes off or you would have to really go to the hole recklessly .

I’m convinced if they changed the signal refs make to call a charge to something less demonstrative that there would be less charges called. The refs love to showboat with their charge signal
I agree. They love to dance halfway down the floor and pump their fist like like they are trying to knock somebody out. If they had to touch their nose or pull their ear or some other silly signal there wouldn't be one third as many charge calls made.

Block all the way...guy was moving forward just after AQ left the floor. Blown call by another overrated SEC official.

Went back to look for the "Trip" on quickley's 4th foul to show yall too but couldn't find it.. the Florida guy put his legs between Maxey's and tripped, there was ample space between Quick and the offensive player. Like you said, they were just trying to get Quick out of there
It’s comical how obvious these cheating bastards work.

Reactions: howercat

Read the rule book .. you are absolutely correct . Establish legal guarding position and then you can move. You are not required to stand still but you must establish legal guarding position first.

The charge/block rule needs to be redefined and made more restrictive. A charge or offensive foul should only occur when the defender is guarding on the ball. Basically, if an offensive player lowers his shoulder or extends his forearm to clear space, that’s an offensive foul. A secondary defender rotating over to try and jump in front of an offensive player should be completely done away with. It’s a stupid part of the game that makes no sense and it’s called incorrectly way more than it’s called correctly.

100% a block and was horrible call. However / I am not supportive of taking the charge call out of game . Without ability to draw charge - you will see bully ball .. plain and simple. Even in today's Lakers Clippers game they were praising Lebron and AD for taking charges .

Reactions: StormCruzzer
Yeah you can’t slide under someone shooting a jumper so why do they allowed defenders to do it when someone drives .

The only time I agree with a charge call is if someone pushes off or you would have to really go to the hole recklessly .
Agree. Move your feet, challenge the shot, and play defense.

And common fouls can go against the O or D already . Shoving off or bulldozing would still be a foul on the offense if they are the one initiating excessive contact to gain an advantage. We don’t need the concept/special category of a “charge” for that.

If you stop your feet and fall then it’s almost always a flop to an extent. If they changed the rule and you called any block/charge attempts a block or no call, it would phase it out in a year or less.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT