ADVERTISEMENT

Can we talk about DJ?

You ever think some of why they are under performing though is coaching, development and putting them in strategic position to best help the team?
No. It’s obvious those I pointed out were too thin and weak regardless who coached them. And they aren’t going to develop (significant) skills overnight (just 1 season).
Players have developed under Cal also. Problem with him is 1) in-game coaching, and 2) focusing his recruiting on athleticism over skill.

Burks is another project .. it's similar to Call thinking Lance Ware should start .. its absurdity . Burks should be a victory cigar at this point in time ..
Actually I like what I’ve seen from Burks. I think next year he could be like JR- year Toppin.

I was fine that he took it. He just missed.

Would you have said it was one of the most selfish plays you'd seen in a long time if it had gone in?
This is a crazy take. It was an awful shot taken by a 30% shooter who has no business pulling up taking that shot from deep without anyone else touching the ball. I’d say it was a terrible shot even if he’d made it. Even my 9 year old son said “why did he shoot that?!” right when it left his hand before we knew if it was going in.

It was a terrible shot.

Last edited:
Not really explosive, not that tall. Needs to be about 6'5 6'6 to do any damage.
TIFWIW but I just watched a video with Goodman who claims he said we never should have taken him because he added nothing to what we already had. We needed a veteran guard from the portal who could defend.

DJ has no interest in running a team - he wants to get his - he’s selfish - wants to go left and throw up bull shit
This is nonsense. Dj is a great kid, plays hard, and a special talent. To to polish his jumper and pull up game.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua
I like DJ but not at point. Reed or Dillingham should play the point. It been posted on here before. DJ was not a point guard in highschool.
DJ is a one dimensional guard who can only drive left, and is a poor outside shooter. He’s been exposed, people are waiting at the left side of the rim now to block his shot.
It’s like a pitcher in the majors who is really good at first and then people learn his tendencies and weaknesses and suddenly he can’t get an out. Or a hitter who is crushing it and then they figure out he can’t hit a breaking pitch.

Honestly never thought Toppin was much a player , not UK- Final Four type player .
Toppin was a nice roll-player, a 4th or 5th option when on the court. Problem was that we needed him to be a 2nd-3rd option. Heahimu Evans, Darius Miller, Liggins.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Yeah the NBA GMs all said Cal ruins his recruits and holds them back. But what do they know?
Yeah they all say they’re well prepared. But most every one if not all of them would still be having the same NBA success had the plated for someone else.

This is a crazy take. It was an awful shot taken by a 30% shooter who has no business pulling up taking that shot from deep without anyone else touching the ball. I’d say it was a terrible shot even if he’d made it. Even my 9 year old son said “why did he shoot that?!” right when it left his hand before we knew if it was going in.

It was a terrible shot.
Caught up in the heat of the moment and wanted to be a hero.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
Wow what a difference 2 weeks make. Two weeks ago DJ was coming off an 18/10 game and another SEC FOW. Z was amazing in the 1st half and had people talking about he was the next Dirk. Now DJ is hobbled and looked at, as a selfish player and Z can't guard his immense shadow.

Reactions: gharding07
Wow what a difference 2 weeks make. Two weeks ago DJ was coming off an 18/10 game and another SEC FOW. Z was amazing in the 1st half and had people talking about he was the next Dirk. Now DJ is hobbled and looked at, as a selfish player and Z can't guard his immense shadow.
Truth is both are really good players , DJ desperately needs just 15-20 more games to mature , and he would be a great college PG , kinda same with Z IMO .. you give him 25-28 minutes a game for a month and he settles in , another great player . But with mysterious sickness stuff, and nagging injuries ( and dumb NCAA stuff) neither will reach their potential , thats a ginormous issue with many Cats , they never get where they should get because of John Benjamin Calipari . The biggest Bennie ever.

He is saying the original injury happened in September.
WHY does it take FOREVER for our kids to heal up???!!!!!

We need to FIRE the entire training and medical staff!!!!

No other team in the country has players that have as many LINGERING injuries as UK!!!! Our kids NEVER get totally better until they leave!!!

It's CRAZY!!!

WHY does it take FOREVER for our kids to heal up???!!!!!

We need to FIRE the entire training and medical staff!!!!

No other team in the country has players that have as many LINGERING injuries as UK!!!! Our kids NEVER get totally better until they leave!!!

It's CRAZY!!!

In DJ's case hearing it was a high ankle sprain of which he mostly recovered and then injured again vs Miami. He then just kept playing through the pain until he couldn't anymore. So essentially he never let it heal.

In DJ's case hearing it was a high ankle sprain of which he mostly recovered and then injured again vs Miami. He then just kept playing through the pain until he couldn't anymore. So essentially he never let it heal.
The part that doesn't compute if it was indeed a high ankle sprain was that he didn't miss any time immediately after. He played the game after the high ankle sprain supposedly happened.

Well, we have been told DJ was "him" since he was a freshman in HS. The next great star of college bball destined to play for Cal.

It's not like I just came up with that expectation on my own.

But sure, after this class, I could honestly not care less about recruits, their rankings, or what their class is ranked ever again. Three top 10 kids and this team is about to be unranked in February and 7th in the conference.

I watched 5 other games yesterday. Teams loaded with experienced players who have been in their respective programs for 3-4 years, looking like a cohesive unit, short rotations, and very few of them were 5 star top 25 guys.

Until Cal is gone, which recruits he signs means little to nothing for Kentucky basketball.

He can leave and lose the ENTIRE incoming class. Means nothing to me. Because a decent coach -- and there are plenty -- will use the portal to be just fine right away. It's Kentucky, the brand will sell itself.
I agree about the rankings, especially. I am so very tired of hearing 5* this and 4* that, etc. I DON'T CARE!!! Those rankings (I still don't know who ranks them. They have to be blind, deaf and dumb.) mean absolutely nothing to me. Look at the two 5 stars that have underwhelmed and look at Reed who was a 4 star. I saw him play a few times and I said early on that he was special. Going by how the rankings are SUPPOSED to be, he would be a 5 star.

I also agree that we have gotten WORSE as the season has gone on. Now I wonder what could be the cause of that? Just look at the first few games. We were on a roll and it was kind of exciting for the first time in a very long time. Then we started to fall apart, getting worse. Then Cal can't even be bothered to face the music at the post game press conference after the TN loss. That's when I said I've had it. I am finished with waiting for next year's team that gonna be so good, blah, blah, blah. He makes me want to puke just looking at that smarmy face. If every adult in the state of KY would chip in $10 approx., we could get his buyout and wouldn't have to wait for the administration or boosters.
Sorry for the rant. He just makes me so mad with what he's done (or hasn't done) to this team.

Reactions: KFuqua
Anyway, DJ seems like a good kid and he's a good player. But he's not one of our 3 best guards healthy or not.

Reminds me of Russell Westbrook.....
Pretty bad comparison, no offense. Westbrook had elite, other wordly athleticism. Especially coming out of college. That's why he was drafted so high. Extremely explosive. He's a dude that would go over and through guys just to dunk on their heads. Wagner can't do that which is why he always resorts to that little lefty scoop shot to go around guys. Because he can't get over them. I'm not sure I've seen DJ Wagner dunk a ball all year.

Maybe Russell Westbrook without the athleticism. Which isn't Russell Westbrook at all.

DJ is a one dimensional guard who can only drive left, and is a poor outside shooter. He’s been exposed, people are waiting at the left side of the rim now to block his shot.
It’s like a pitcher in the majors who is really good at first and then people learn his tendencies and weaknesses and suddenly he can’t get an out. Or a hitter who is crushing it and then they figure out he can’t hit a breaking pitch.
Another thing that hurts his ability to attack the rim is how he avoids contact. He doesn't go up and into defenders at the rim. If you are a Guard that makes your hay off of driving to the basket, you MUST either make the shot in the paint OR draw a foul.

Just watch what opponents do to us at the rim. If they don't score, they get foul calls. It's not just DJ either. All of our kids except for Reed HATE contact at the rim. Justin is the WORST!!!

The part that doesn't compute if it was indeed a high ankle sprain was that he didn't miss any time immediately after. He played the game after the high ankle sprain supposedly happened.

No, he missed UNCW game on 12-2. That was the game after Miami. He then played vs Penn a week later.

Reactions: gharding07
I really try not to bash the players, but you just can't deny that DJ has no business starting at Kentucky and should only see maybe 6 - 8 minutes a game.

Having him in the game to just keep throwing up bricks kills Kentucky's momentum every time.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Truth is both are really good players , DJ desperately needs just 15-20 more games to mature , and he would be a great college PG , kinda same with Z IMO .. you give him 25-28 minutes a game for a month and he settles in , another great player . But with mysterious sickness stuff, and nagging injuries ( and dumb NCAA stuff) neither will reach their potential , thats a ginormous issue with many Cats , they never get where they should get because of John Benjamin Calipari . The biggest Bennie ever.
I can’t agree with you about Ivisic. He looks completely lost out there

Reactions: ThunderCat98
I can’t agree with you about Ivisic. He looks completely lost out there
I quit watching a few games back .. but Z needed minutes to settle in , you give him experience and he can produce .. but should we ignore Georgia ? Was he lost that day ? Or just in the wrong position many times as the staff reported .. ha ha

Wag nearing S Wheeler levels , another Cal mill stone around our collective necks for 2 years . What a debacle that was .

Reactions: CROCAT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT