ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone explain to me

playmorezeppelin

Sophomore
Mar 19, 2017
how some people on this board seem to think there’s any likelihood at all of Stoops actually going to Nebraska if they were to call? I’m genuinely asking for the best argument. I assume I’m missing something.

Just thinking from Stoops perspective - you’ve reached a point where you’re finally at the cusp of competing with top programs, national media consistently say he has the best job in college football, he’s already turned down multiple openings in the past at more attractive schools, and your job security is an absolute mortal lock. And you’re going to leave that place for a school that cannot recruit and is quick to fire coaches if they don’t produce after 3 or 4 years? At best it would be like starting all over at Kentucky again after you’ve spent all this time building a program. Why start over?

I’m just surprised to see some people actually nervous about the possibility. When I first heard his name mentioned I didn’t think twice about it, but some of you guys have me nervous for some reason. Someone convince me please.

Hes not leaving for Nebraska. Honestly I don’t think he goes anywhere for a while. He has a historically bad program in the hunt year in and year out for the sec East. The expectations are reasonable and his career will flourish in Lex. This year if we play as it seems could catapult us to a serious top 10 destination for recruits. Stoops can enjoy life in Lex or take a chance at a school that’s gonna demand immediate championship results.

how some people on this board seem to think there’s any likelihood at all of Stoops actually going to Nebraska if they were to call? I’m genuinely asking for the best argument. I assume I’m missing something.

Just thinking from Stoops perspective - you’ve reached a point where you’re finally at the cusp of competing with top programs, national media consistently say he has the best job in college football, he’s already turned down multiple openings in the past at more attractive schools, and your job security is an absolute mortal lock. And you’re going to leave that place for a school that cannot recruit and is quick to fire coaches if they don’t produce after 3 or 4 years? At best it would be like starting all over at Kentucky again after you’ve spent all this time building a program. Why start over?

I’m just surprised to see some people actually nervous about the possibility. When I first heard his name mentioned I didn’t think twice about it, but some of you guys have me nervous for some reason. Someone convince me please.
I haven’t seen anyone on this board that thinks that .

I couldn't see Stoops going anywhere until Cal made his comment. Coaches are competitive and have egos. At the very least his name and Nebraska needing a coach gets him a nice raise.

Reactions: cathouse
Stoops might leave, greatly doubt it would be for Nebraska although that would get him closer to his children. Doubt if that's much of an allure for Vince either.

After the way Nebraska treated Bo Pelini, no Youngstown guy will every set foot in Lincoln. Anyway, he has a much better deal at UK than Nebraska would ever offer.

Nebraska basically ended their football dynasty when it left the Big12, cutting off their recruiting base and not developing one in the Big10. With no real instate recruiting base it turned into a program killer. They have their eyes on a proven head coach but I can't see why a proven head coach with a job would want to go there. Supposedly they are willing to offer 15m a year to an Utban or Bob Stoops. Both are proven and neither has a job.

With the Craft donation yesterday Stoops will be here for a while. With what he has built here and how his contract is setup there only a couple of schools that would worry me if they offered Stoops a job and Nebraska ain't one of them.

I couldn't see Stoops going anywhere until Cal made his comment. Coaches are competitive and have egos. At the very least his name and Nebraska needing a coach gets him a nice raise.
I find it more likely that CMS is now determined to watch Cal walk out the back door of BBN someday. That's Mark Stoops. Neither the AD nor the president can keep Cal from being Cal. Cal didn't get much support for his statement. CMS is still standing in line ahead of Cal for capital project funding. CMS isn't leaving UK just because our hoops coach is a horse's a$$.

I admit that I must have been asleep in the past 10 years, thus my question: can you name the more attractive schools that CMS has turned down?--thanks

Reactions: Gromcat and Dddjdd

Stoops is not leaving UK for Nebraska, they haven't been relative in the Big 10 since they moved there, they fired a coach who won 9 games almost every season. If Stoops ever leaves it would be to a school that gives him a chance to win a N.C.

With the Craft donation yesterday Stoops will be here for a while. With what he has built here and how his contract is setup there only a couple of schools that would worry me if they offered Stoops a job and Nebraska ain't one of them.
The announcement yesterday came at just the right time. That wasn’t by accident. It was a show of the utmost support for Coach Stoops and HIS football program.

Last edited:

Stoops will not leave Lexington anytime soon. Maybe never. This is his program, and he sees more upside. As far as he is concerned, the job is not done. His brother Mike is in Lexington. His friend from Youngstown, Vince Marrow, is in Lexington. He has a great contract. He is settled.

But if he did leave, Nebraska would not be the destination. Why anyone would fear that, who knows? You just have to look at prior times on this website when other P5 jobs opened up. Some people are just scared of their own shadows. My late aunt used to call us everytime there was a thunderstorm and insist that we should rush to the basement. She was a good person, but she could be an alarmist. That is just how some people are.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
After the way Nebraska treated Bo Pelini, no Youngstown guy will every set foot in Lincoln. Anyway, he has a much better deal at UK than Nebraska would ever offer.
I can't imagine any head coach with a decent job leaving it for Nebraska.
I mean , they fired a guy that never won less than 9 wins in a season because “ He couldn’t win the games that mattered” . That’s a direct quote from the AD . lol

I admit that I must have been asleep in the past 10 years, thus my question: can you name the more attractive schools that CMS has turned down?--thanks
You’re correct. I don’t know of any school that has offered CMS but he turned them down. He interviewed with FSU but they wanted Norvell. He was rumored to be an LSU candidate but who knows if that’s true. Not sure what OP is referring to.

Don’t think anyone should be worried about Nebraska. At this point I think it’d take a blue blood school to lure Stoops away. I said this in another thread but if Harbaugh left Michigan and they wanted Stoops, they’d probably have a shot. Nebraska? Not so much.

Reactions: Girthang
I would think Stoops would be emboldened with the way that that whole thing played out . His AD had his back , it became apparent that far more UK fans would support Stoops over Cal , and the facilities are in the process of being updated . If Calipari thought he was “putting football back in its place” , it BACKFIRED bigtime . Personally, I think he was just running his mouth without thinking , as usual.

Reactions: coffey8294

I find it more likely that CMS is now determined to watch Cal walk out the back door of BBN someday. That's Mark Stoops. Neither the AD nor the president can keep Cal from being Cal. Cal didn't get much support for his statement. CMS is still standing in line ahead of Cal for capital project funding. CMS isn't leaving UK just because our hoops coach is a horse's a$$.
Right now Cal is more likely to leave than Stoops and with no shortage of people to help pack.

Reactions: maroon79

I'll bite. For the record, I do not think he will leave for NU, but here are possible reasons why he might consider it:

1) Money: I don't think this will come into play b/c I don't see UK being outbid but football means more than anything else in that state. The BIG is as rich (or richer) than the SEC. They're tired of losing. If NU comes with $15MM per year offer, how do we know stoops doesn't take it?

2) Easier Road: BIG is easier than the SEC, and will continue to be even when USC and UCLA join. The SEC is tough, and UK has to contend with 6-8 major national powers and another 5-6 very good football programs. Only Vandy and Mizzou are free spaces, while the Big ten has many (NW, Indiana, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, etc).

3) Easier to get into playoff: a 9-3 NU or 9-3 UK team gets into the playoff. It's likely easier to get that record at NU given the schedule.

4) Revive past glory: NU has glorious tradition. Does that mean much to today's coaches? Does it intrigue Stoops?

5) Feeling like his work is done here: This is the most likely reason he would leave. He has been here ten years. There's an old saying that you lose ten percent of your goodwill every year you're in the same place as a coach. Stoops has raised expectations here. Can he consistently deliver 8/9/10 wins a year going forward with a 9 game conference schedule and Texas and OU joining the league?

6) NIL frustration: Not sure what is true and what is message board gossip. But there are rumors that Stoops is frustrated by the situation. If he doesn't feel like he can compete at optimal level b/c of it, he could leave while the getting is good.

For the record, I think UK is a better job. I don't think he would leave for nebraska. But these are just some reasons why he might and why the idea isn't totally crazy.

The truth is, and many won’t like it but that’s fine, is the fit is prefect for Stoops and UK.

Stoops is probably not a guy power program would offer. To date, that’s not an opinion it’s a fact. Not one program better than UK has offered stoops a head coaching job. Not one.

He’s probably not LSU, Florida, or Alabama material.

He’s too good and UK is too poised now (SEC tag really helps here) to make a lateral move even to a “football school”.

The only concerns I have is “potentially” Iowa one day, or maybe, maybe if Florida State continues to spiral out of control and needs someone to sustain util their next move.

The point is this is not a slight at CMS. He’s who he is and the UK program he’s built is just a better story line, career, and offers better security than anywhere else he can go. You’ll know when a program comes calling that should make us nervous. It’s never happened.

lol @ Nebraska. He would be interested because that’s the name of a program coaches his age dream of, but they won’t be interested and he would only enjoy the shot. He wouldn’t do it, he’d lose a ton of money over the next 10 years when they fire him after 3.

I'll bite. For the record, I do not think he will leave for NU, but here are possible reasons why he might consider it:

1) Money: I don't think this will come into play b/c I don't see UK being outbid but football means more than anything else in that state. The BIG is as rich (or richer) than the SEC. They're tired of losing. If NU comes with $15MM per year offer, how do we know stoops doesn't take it?

2) Easier Road: BIG is easier than the SEC, and will continue to be even when USC and UCLA join. The SEC is tough, and UK has to contend with 6-8 major national powers and another 5-6 very good football programs. Only Vandy and Mizzou are free spaces, while the Big ten has many (NW, Indiana, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, etc).

3) Easier to get into playoff: a 9-3 NU or 9-3 UK team gets into the playoff. It's likely easier to get that record at NU given the schedule.

4) Revive past glory: NU has glorious tradition. Does that mean much to today's coaches? Does it intrigue Stoops?

5) Feeling like his work is done here: This is the most likely reason he would leave. He has been here ten years. There's an old saying that you lose ten percent of your goodwill every year you're in the same place as a coach. Stoops has raised expectations here. Can he consistently deliver 8/9/10 wins a year going forward with a 9 game conference schedule and Texas and OU joining the league?

6) NIL frustration: Not sure what is true and what is message board gossip. But there are rumors that Stoops is frustrated by the situation. If he doesn't feel like he can compete at optimal level b/c of it, he could leave while the getting is good.

For the record, I think UK is a better job. I don't think he would leave for nebraska. But these are just some reasons why he might and why the idea isn't totally crazy.
But KY is closer to Ohio and that also makes a huge difference. Thats one of the main things Stoops did that no other could seemingly realize. While all these other coaches were trying to dig ppl out of Florida and the south, his pitch was oh, ohio state and Penn st don't want you, well come down the road and play in the SEC. He's really the first guy to take advantage of being the Northern most school in the league.

But KY is closer to Ohio and that also makes a huge difference. Thats one of the main things Stoops did that no other could seemingly realize. While all these other coaches were trying to dig ppl out of Florida and the south, his pitch was oh, ohio state and Penn st don't want you, well come down the road and play in the SEC. He's really the first guy to take advantage of being the Northern most school in the league.
Exactly. Didn't Stoops approach us with this strategy first out of nowhere? This doesn't really work anywhere else other than Kentucky unless they're a big power who can recruit on name alone. Come play in the closest SEC school to the Big 10 only works here (unless someone further north gets invited, and it doesn't seem like any of those invitations are going out).

Couple that with the legacy, the results, the extremely coach-friendly contract (that at this point one could assume is a lifetime contract), and the legend status he's building here. And throw in the BBN showing him and Marrow nothing but love and support.

He's not getting this job security for him and his guys anywhere else. And it's not like he's being paid poorly here.

If Neb wants him they are going to get him. But I think Neb needs a big name. Someone that can beat Ohio state and Michigan in 3 years. There is a reason why Stoops is still at Kentucky. No big time school offering him a job.

Wonder what his brother Bob is telling him about other job offers? With Bob coaching Oklahoma, he’s familiar with the pressures that go along with that caliber of a job. Not sure if it would sway CMS thinking or not. Personally, I think there’s a good chance he stays here for a while.

I failed to point out above that Stoops is being paid $1.75M more annually than Nebraska was paying Frost, before bonuses. He's actually making about 150% of what Frost was making. Seems Frost might have taken a haircut at the end of last year (stupid signaling to recruits) but those are the facts. If we go on an unthinkable run, the bonus structure will earn Stoops premium pay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT