ADVERTISEMENT

Camera angle at Rupp

bigbluelou

All-SEC
Apr 13, 2011
Okay, fire away if you think this is the dumbest thread ever. But I'm watching this OSU/WVU game and I really like the camera angle and distance they have vs. what we have at Rupp. I've always felt that our standard camera angle was too high up and too far away. I like the closer up position and lower angle where I can appreciate the gameplay, size and speed of the players. Is it just me?

I think it's fine. Now if they kept that garbage alternate view that ESPN tried a few years back I would stop watching.

ept_sports_ncaab_experts-426246243-1297820325.jpg

Black and white really wasn't that bad. The no remote part sucked but there were not that many options any way.
My first TV was something like this.
c1QMKfq.jpeg

That bad boy had a huge big screen of like 12" of black and white glory. It had the old screw on coaxial cable adapter that my NES was hooked to. Tore up some Super Mario Bros and Castlevania on it. I opened the TV up and connected a pair of those old removable jam box speakers to the internal speaker to give it a little upgrade. Took it with me when I got to my permanent duty station in the Air Force.

Used it until I could finally afford my first big color TV. It was a 27" with picture in picture and had a built in subwoofer on the back. It was like $619. Combine that with my first PC (a Tandy with like a 25 MHz processor, RAM in the kilobytes, a hard drive with probably less than 10MB, and a modem at a blazing 2400 baud) for like $1000. Kids/young adults today don't realize how good they have it.

Black and white really wasn't that bad. The no remote part sucked but there were not that many options any way.
Went to Woolworths downtown years ago. They had a piece of plastic that you taped to the front of your TV. It had a blue shade at the top clear in the middle and brown at the bottom. It said it would make you have a color TV. I guess it would make a western look like it was in color!! Lol

c1QMKfq.jpeg

That bad boy had a huge big screen of like 12" of black and white glory. It had the old screw on coaxial cable adapter that my NES was hooked to. Tore up some Super Mario Bros and Castlevania on it. I opened the TV up and connected a pair of those old removable jam box speakers to the internal speaker to give it a little upgrade. Took it with me when I got to my permanent duty station in the Air Force.

Used it until I could finally afford my first big color TV. It was a 27" with picture in picture and had a built in subwoofer on the back. It was like $619. Combine that with my first PC (a Tandy with like a 25 MHz processor, RAM in the kilobytes, a hard drive with probably less than 10MB, and a modem at a blazing 2400 baud) for like $1000. Kids/young adults today don't realize how good they have it.
Hopefully this pic will post it took forever to track down. This was my first, a 1950 Dumont. I still have a 13" B&W in the closet. As far as computer I had a commodore 64 as a first. When we first got internet it was a blazing 14.4k if you could actually get connected.

Last edited:
Hopefully this pic will post it took forever to track down. This was my first a 1950 Dumont. I still have a 13" B&W in the closet.
When I got married we had a 9 inch that we put on a TV tray. The knob broke and we changed the channel with vice grips!! People were starting to get remotes. I said if people can’t get up to change the channels they don’t need a TV. Now if my remote gets misplaced the whole house gets tore up!! Lol

c1QMKfq.jpeg

My dad had one just like it. I was the remote.

My biggest complaint about presentation at Rupp is that the court and crowd noise sound muffled. Not sure if that is the broadcast or how Rupp is setup, but feel disconnected from games at times. It’s like unbalanced towards the broadcasters instead of action.

When I was a kid, my brothers and I WERE the remote controls for my dad.
Remember when you first got cable and they had the boxes with the slider switch that you'd put by your couch/chair across the room from your TV? Almost as good as a remote minus the trip hazard.

Reactions: bigbluelou
@bigbluelou you think this thread is dumb. This is nothing. I think muscle memory involved in adjusting for the coriolis force is one of the biggest factors in homecourt advantage but I don’t have the self-loathing to start a thread over that.

• Haha
I think it's fine. Now if they kept that garbage alternate view that ESPN tried a few years back I would stop watching.

ept_sports_ncaab_experts-426246243-1297820325.jpg
This view made me want to find who was responsible and punch them in the throat. Sometimes things don’t need fixing. ESPN always trying to get cute and it rarely ever ends up being a good idea. This was one of their dumbest. I was so pissed off during this game.

Okay, fire away if you think this is the dumbest thread ever. But I'm watching this OSU/WVU game and I really like the camera angle and distance they have vs. what we have at Rupp. I've always felt that our standard camera angle was too high up and too far away. I like the closer up position and lower angle where I can appreciate the gameplay, size and speed of the players. Is it just me?
OP, I agree completely. That OSU/WVU game was a good watching experience. I liked the mic'd up ref too.
The TV camera angles at Rupp are awful and I don't know why. The positions for the cameras are on the front edge of the upper bowl balcony ledge. Yet, everytime a UK game is broadcast it's like we're seeing the game from somewhere near the top of the arena. And yes, there is a disconnect with the audio. Game broadcasts usually place microphones around the arena for "background/atmosphere" but, ESPN either doesn't do that or they set the levels so low you can barely hear the action. And that's weird because the ABC network broadcasts of games have great audio. ESPN and ABC are part of the same group owned by Disney.
I agree it isn't very important in the big scheme of things but, it is noticeable.

Remember when you first got cable and they had the boxes with the slider switch that you'd put by your couch/chair across the room from your TV? Almost as good as a remote minus the trip hazard.
First cable box I remember was set top. It was white with faux wood grain on top and had a key lock to move the black slider left or right. It was for HBO only. I know what you are referring too though and that came almost a decade later around here.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyCatFan
First cable box I remember was set top. It was white with faux wood grain on top and had a key lock to move the black slider left or right. It was for HBO only. I know what you are referring too though and that came almost a decade later around here.
I think this is the one I am talking about. I don't remember the second box but we must have had it to.
mQdjZhG.jpeg

My uncle worked for Storer Cable in Louisville back then and he told us about sticking a butter knife in the side of the box by the cord and it would unscramble the premium channels. We used to go over to his house for Thanksgiving and he would get the WWF Survivor Series PPV. I don't know what box he used but to get PPV back then, I believe you got some kind of device that hooked into the box to unscramble it when you paid for it.

Last edited:
I think this is the one I am talking about. I don't remember the second box but we must have had it to.
mQdjZhG.jpeg

My uncle worked for Storer Cable in Louisville back then and he told us about sticking a butter knife in the side of the box by the cord and it would unscramble the premium channels. We used to go over to his house for Thanksgiving and he would get the WWF Survivor Series PPV. I don't know what box he used but to get PPV back then. I believe you got some kind of device that hooked into the box to unscramble it when you paid for it.
The best I remember that kind of box was more like '85 or '86 here. The one I described was '76 when we first got it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT