ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari is now 59-37 over his last 96 games (62% winning percentage). Pitino was 86-10 over his last 96 UK games (90% winning percentage).

What you are forgetting that Kentucky obviously plays much better competition than Iona & St. Johns.

Pitino also left Louisville in disgrace and on probation with a vacated title. The program is still in shambles and has been since 2018.

I guess that's something you want your program to be?

Reactions: jauk11
It's already too late! This will hopefully be his last season here regardless of how the team finishes. The man is spent!!!

Why on earth would it be his last season? I’m down on Cal and wouldn’t throw a fit if he left but it doesn’t matter how this season goes. Good or bad. This isn’t his last season, he’s signing guys for next year and recruiting guys for the year after that.

In fairness
This comment, if used to calculate Calipari’s standing ahead of Pitino, is so void of contextual necessity, it proves more about the person stating it than it does anything including their head to head standing.

Pitino is worlds above Calipari in this game, and that’s not just our opinion at Kentucky, that’s the opinion of most serious analysis who know the game.

Aren’t you the Jim Boeheim fan who
Grew up a Syracuse fan? Why are you talking about Kentucky basketball? You don’t know anything about it.

You will find very few serious people in this sport that would even say the comparison is close. It’s not close. There are different reasons for head to head records. Joe Hall barely ever beat Tennessee at Tennessee, it says nothing about the coaches.
In fairness, there's also several variables at play comparing Pitino's last 96 games to Calipari's last 96 games. So if we're going to say apples to oranges, let's apply it to all parties involved, not just the one that goes against the OP narrative.

Does anything less than a Final Four win the fan base back?
If we have a GOOD regular season--1 seed or 2 seed and make the Elite 8, I'll think things are back on track.

If we're some middling team all season, come into March as a 5+ seed and flame out in the 1st 3 rounds--I'll join the "Fire Cal" chants.

What you are forgetting that Kentucky obviously plays much better competition than Iona & St. Johns.

Pitino also left Louisville in disgrace and on probation with a vacated title. The program is still in shambles and has been since 2018.

I guess that's something you want your program to be?
Tell me how Cal left UMass and Memphis. I believe two vacated final 4s there. Nobody is legitimately asking for Pitino back.

As a blue blood UK should play a tougher schedule. Now filter the last 100 games and simply look at ranked opponents and then P5 non conference opponents. The record becomes more abysmal.

UK isn’t buying Cal out. I know that but to act as though there is not a significant drop off in results is just being in a state of denial.

Reactions: CatPhight
Pitino is a scumbag. He won a title at UK. Great. He should have definitely won two. Had he been a better coach the Unforgettables would have at least been a Final Four team. He paid for an abortion after, in his words, a 15 second long session. He hired underage prostitutes for recruits and left UL in a spot they have yet to recover from. But, yes, let's bring the guy back. Y'all need some standards.

2017-18 - .702 -- 2 NCAA Tourney Wins
2018-19 - .810 -- 3 NCAA Tourney Wins
2019-20 - .806 -- NCAA Tourney Cancelled
2020-21 - .360 -- 0 NCAA Tourney Wins
2021-22 - .764 -- 0 NCAA Tourney Wins
2022-23 - .647 -- 1 NCAA Tourney Wins

2017-23 - .681 -- 6 NCAA Tourney Wins

You have to add all of these to equate the W's need for a title.

One single solitary tournament win in the last three seasons...spin that turd.
That’s an embarrassment for any blue blood school.

Not even closed to what the poster was saying, and unfortunately you even probably knew that
The poster asked what is Pitino’s record vs Cal. What is the point of Pitino’s record vs Cal? The comparison is simply UK coaches records over their last 5 years as UK coach.

The poster asked what is Pitino’s record vs Cal. What is the point of Pitino’s record vs Cal? The comparison is simply UK coaches records over their last 5 years as UK coach.
Pretty sure he was referring to the previous posters that were saying Pitino's record was better because "he can actually coach" and "he knows Xs and Os) and so on, so forth. Poster was raising the obivous point that head to head, doesn't seem like Pitino has outcoached Cal very often

It's actually not even 5 years. It's starting from right when Cal had his abysmal COVID year, and it was chosen that way on purpose.

Not that removing the COVID year helps Cal much, but saying Cal is some 60% winning coach isn't telling the whole story.

Come on @Son_Of_Saul lol.

Your "signature line" is telling. Nice work. 🙂
That quote used to really upset me but as I wrote in another post, I believe Cal has to use that in his mind to rationalize his record over the past 5-6 years. Cal was patently obvious when he came to UK that it was to recruit the best of the best and to help them attain their goals. But he said if UK did that the wins and championships would follow. He definitely has lived up to getting the NBA contracts-although the overwhelming majority of those recruits were already on draft boards-but the wins and championships (not meaning only NCAA) have not kept pace.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
That quote used to really upset me but as I wrote in another post, I believe Cal has to use that in his mind to rationalize his record over the past 5-6 years. Cal was patently obvious when he came to UK that it was to recruit the best of the best and to help them attain their goals. But he said if UK did that the wins and championships would follow. He definitely has lived up to getting the NBA contracts-although the overwhelming majority of those recruits were already on draft boards-but the wins and championships (not meaning only NCAA) have not kept pace.
Couldn't agree more. I happened to mention your sig b/c mine is identical. LOL.

Reactions: fisherscatfan
It's actually not even 5 years. It's starting from right when Cal had his abysmal COVID year, and it was chosen that way on purpose.

Not that removing the COVID year helps Cal much, but saying Cal is some 60% winning coach isn't telling the whole story.

Come on @Son_Of_Saul lol.
Don’t know who you are referring me to or why but you do you. I don’t sit on a message board and memorize who posts what. If the implication was I loved Tubby, I did at first. Who wouldn’t. But when it became painfully obvious he was a lazy recruiter who seemed to be more about setting up GG and Saul, I was on board with time for him to go.

Don’t know who you are referring me to or why but you do you. I don’t sit on a message board and memorize who posts what. If the implication was I loved Tubby, I did at first. Who wouldn’t. But when it became painfully obvious he was a lazy recruiter who seemed to be more about setting up GG and Saul, I was on board with time for him to go.
I'm just clarifying the time frame. And it's important because there are people who here who might now think Cal is some 62% winning coach over the last 5 years.

Pretty sure he was referring to the previous posters that were saying Pitino's record was better because "he can actually coach" and "he knows Xs and Os) and so on, so forth. Poster was raising the obivous point that head to head, doesn't seem like Pitino has outcoached Cal very often
That’s fine but give each the same resources and compare head to head. When Pitino was at UK he absolutely owned Cal’s ass. And the one time Cal exposed UK, Pitino pulled Delk from PG and put in Epps and we know how that ended up.

I would expect a UK coach to own others. Thats why UK is deemed the blue blood and UL, UMass etc are not.

We shouldn't just excuse his awful COVID year, but at some point people have to realize it was not the norm. I think some posters believed that was actually who he was and that Kentucky was never going to win 10 games again under him.

Check out just how bad that season looks:

Cal last 2 season until now: 50-21 (70.4%)
Cal last 3 season until now:59-37 (62%)
Cal last 5 seasons until now: 114-50 (69.5%)

It was nearly a 10 percentage point drop.

Does anything less than a Final Four win the fan base back?
Fan base hasn’t gone anywhere. Only the miserable CHC

And they won’t be back.

And Cal beats your boy Pitino about 80% of the time.

Pitino. Is 1-1 his last 2 games.

Anyone can cherry pick to a narrative.

LM63N60.png

Yeah but remember when he washed those peoples feet? And he and Stoops raised all that money for tornado victims?
Failing to do things like this is probably why A&M fired Jimbo. It’s not all about winning you know.

Yeah but remember when he washed those peoples feet? And he and Stoops raised all that money for tornado victims?
Failing to do things like this is probably why A&M fired Jimbo. It’s not all about winning you know.

I wouldn't hold Texas A&M up as a shining beacon of how it should be done. They look like complete fools for paying Fisher $76 million not to coach. But the university isn't funding the buyout. Rumor has it some rich west Texas oilmen are paying most of it.

The question then becomes how much is each of you personally willing to contribute to a Go Fund Me account to pay Cal's buyout (about $40 million now)?

Last edited:
I wouldn't hold Texas A&M up as a shining beacon of how it should be done. They look like complete fools for paying Fisher $76 million not to coach. But the university isn't funding the buyout, rather some rich west Texas oilmen are paying most of it.

The question then becomes how much is each of you personally willing to contribute to a Go Fund Me account to pay Cal's buyout (about $40 million now)?
I’m just saying bottom line is winning and losing. People can talk about all this other stuff all they want but it all comes down to winning and losing.
As for paying for Cal’s buyout I’m not donating a dime. Mitch should have never put us in this mess.

Have you ever wanted to know who the trolls were so you knew who to ignore??? This thread lets you know who over half of them are. You’re welcome. 🙂

That Calpari ain’t won a single damn game in the last six hours. 9 billion dollars and whole 6 hours. Him sucks. Far him and at Mitch and the president. But, I luv them Cars. I ain’t never negative I just call’em like I see um.

Pitino is a scumbag. He won a title at UK. Great. He should have definitely won two. Had he been a better coach the Unforgettables would have at least been a Final Four team. He paid for an abortion after, in his words, a 15 second long session. He hired underage prostitutes for recruits and left UL in a spot they have yet to recover from. But, yes, let's bring the guy back. Y'all need some standards.
Maybe I’ve missed it but , I didn’t see the post asking for Pitino back.

Reactions: UKortho
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT