ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari is now 59-37 over his last 96 games (62% winning percentage). Pitino was 86-10 over his last 96 UK games (90% winning percentage).

And at the time, I just couldn’t let it go about how “mediocre” his teams had become. Yet, the things fans have endured these last few years are inexcusable! 🤦‍♀️
I think most of us were spoiled with what we all saw with the dominant 90's teams...can't help but wonder how may NC banners we'd have if Pitino never left for the Celtics...

Now we have a coach (cough) who can certainly recruit but is an obvious below average bench coach...and an AD who has locked us into a nightmare contract.

Looks to me like a lot of you Cal haters need to follow your leader, he is coaching again you know.
Pitino was the best coach ever at UK and Sutton was second best as far as basketball knowledge and in game coaching. Just think what Pitino did during probation with a team of of slow Ky white boys. If be had stayed we would have long since passed UCLA
Yeah, and Pitino was such a nice guy too. Wonder why he left.

Will you cry when he's gone?

He left to coach his childhood team, but screwed up when he went to loserville, he even admitted so publicly.
Right, he did a lot at Loserville, if you or I had done some of the things he did there we would still be in prison.

Or give us hope or excitement..
"Excitement" for 36 minutes in a game then go into "don't lose " mode. Sure he going to win Regular Season games against teams without the talent he has had at UK. But can't see "Hope" of him ever winning another Championship.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatPhight
It was between Cal and Sutton for 5th best coach
Well my bad dude , for some reason I thought it read ”Hall and Sutton “ for fifth . Its hard for me to judge Calipari. From 2010-2015 he was possibly the best…..Since then he might be the worst. He is definitely not the same coach/person since Bo Ryan neutered him or he had his breakdown or whatever happened to him.

Well my bad dude , for some reason I thought it read ”Hall and Sutton “ for fifth . Its hard for me to judge Calipari. From 2010-2015 he was possibly the best…..Since then he might be the worst. He is definitely not the same coach/person since Bo Ryan neutered him or he had his breakdown or whatever happened to him.
Exactly...BB and AB...

Never been the same since Robic left the staff...JR was the guy who crossed the T's, dotted the I's and did a great job of scouting opponents to help prepare the team...

Reactions: seccats04
Exactly...BB and AB...

Never been the same since Robic left the staff...JR was the guy who crossed the T's, dotted the I's and did a great job of scouting opponents to help prepare the team...
Don’t underestimate the “help” we were getting from WWW in Cals early years . However the NIL seems to have rectified that problem.

That’s fine but give each the same resources and compare head to head. When Pitino was at UK he absolutely owned Cal’s ass. And the one time Cal exposed UK, Pitino pulled Delk from PG and put in Epps and we know how that ended up.

I would expect a UK coach to own others. Thats why UK is deemed the blue blood and UL, UMass etc are not.
Wait what? "Give each team the same resources" - but then you immediately say Pitino "owned Cal's ass" when Pitino was at UK, pretty sure we can all agree UK had much, much better resources - so you shot down your own argument there. UK vs Louisville a much, much stronger comparison

Double-check the numbers for me, but even Louisville vs Memphis was 4-4 I think - and there's no way you can say Memphis had better resources than Louisville

Last 10 meetings, Cal is 8-2 vs Pitino, including post-season (highly meaningful) games where Xs and Os absolutely play a vital role

Wait what? "Give each team the same resources" - but then you immediately say Pitino "owned Cal's ass" when Pitino was at UK, pretty sure we can all agree UK had much, much better resources - so you shot down your own argument there. UK vs Louisville a much, much stronger comparison

Double-check the numbers for me, but even Louisville vs Memphis was 4-4 I think - and there's no way you can say Memphis had better resources than Louisville

Last 10 meetings, Cal is 8-2 vs Pitino, including post-season (highly meaningful) games where Xs and Os absolutely play a vital role
How many pro’s did Pitino have vs Cal in those games though? Look , we can all agree that Cal can recruit . But you can NEVER use x&o’s when praising Cal ……ever.

Last edited:
Sorry but a championship won’t save him for me. I would be just fine firing him the day after winning a championship. In fact I would take pleasure in seeing it happen as payback for all the humiliation he has put the name on the front of the jersey through. Will it happen? No but you asked.

Rick Pitino's last 96 games at Kentucky:

86-10, 90% winning percentage.

You left these Pitino numbers off. Good coach, horrible human being.

15 seconds...

3,000 dollars.....

10,000 dollars....

100,000 dollars....

"Excitement" for 36 minutes in a game then go into "don't lose " mode. Sure he going to win Regular Season games against teams without the talent he has had at UK. But can't see "Hope" of him ever winning another Championship.
Youre definitely in the minority, as dozens of gambling orgs have UK in the top 5 favorites to win the title every single year.
Cal's been there a lot, and it wasn't 30 years ago.

like St. Peters? We've won 4 tourney games combined in the last 5 seasons...big excitement...for the rest of the $EC...
Saint Peters was an upset, and the fact that a few of you debbie downers constantly bring it up tells me you weren't expecting it either. Great coaches get beat in the tourney by inferior coaching/talent every year. You should know this.
One of the tourneys were canceled due to Covid, so why include that in your stat? And UK was pretty good that year but im sure you'd want to argue that too. The big question is, what are you going to bitch about this spring if they make the FF?

Reactions: thedahc
Does anything less than a Final Four win the fan base back?
This thread is like the Bat Signal for the miserable, the trolls, and the perpetually malcontent.

Thank you for corraling the usual suspects into one thread.

You can’t have it both ways. Either UK elevates and give coaches a better opportunity to win or it doesn’t. Equal resources being Pitino at Uk vs Cal and Cal at UK vs Pitino. To act as though coaches at UK shouldn’t dominate others is ridiculous.

And if Xs and Os are vital in postseason explain St Peters if Cal is so damn good at Xs and Os cause obviously small sample sizes are equally important to you.

Put Saban at Wake Forest and Sweeney at Bama and tell me you think WF whips Bamas ass routinely.

I never liked this whole "Well if Coach X had all of Cal's recruits/talent..". That's what Cal CHOOSES to focus on. Recruiting. Building relationships, tons of travel, working with young and new guys every single year. That takes up a lot of his time, time that could be spent fine tuning his game strategy or modifying his offense.

Putting these teams together IS a skill and it takes time. So we can say things like "What if Pitino had these same players".. but then maybe he isn't able to have as strong of a in-game strategy, because he spent his summer flying across the US for recruiting.

There's 24 hours in a day. Some coaches prefer to spend it on strategy, others prefer the recruiting side. It's hard to have both.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Not to mention, if you want that top talent, you only have them for 1 years (maybe 2 if you're lucky). Do you think the great X and O guys like Izzo would easily be able to get them ready to play the way they want in just a few months? Break them of bad habits, get them to buy in? Or, do you think the great coaching minds prefer more experienced teams, and trying to retain players who know the system?

Cal doesnt get the John Wall's of the world for more than 1 year. And it's not always a given that Freshman Wall and Cousins are better than seniors like Draymond Green and Adrien Payne.

Saint Peters was an upset, and the fact that a few of you debbie downers constantly bring it up tells me you weren't expecting it either. Great coaches get beat in the tourney by inferior coaching/talent every year. You should know this.
One of the tourneys were canceled due to Covid, so why include that in your stat? And UK was pretty good that year but im sure you'd want to argue that too. The big question is, what are you going to bitch about this spring if they make the FF?
Laughable...tell us about the Richmond Spiders in Rupp, the Evansville Purple Aces in Rupp, Vandy multiple times in Rupp, and on and on and on...can't even draw up a simple inbounds play on offense or to defend.

Final Four? How many rocks have you smoked? We haven't even seen a S16 since you sprouted pubes.
Have you seen Shannon Sharpe? GO!!! RUN!!! I haven't seen him.

Your big question is will you follow him when he leaves...this is the University of KENTUCKY - not the University of Calipari, you obviously cannot separate the two. :flush:

Reactions: UKortho
This thread is like the Bat Signal for the miserable, the trolls, and the perpetually malcontent.

Thank you for corraling the usual suspects into one thread.
Yet here you are slinging feces at other posters as usual...you can't defend your boy, so you make it personal about other posters.

Your corral ignore button bat signal thingamajig is just to the left, you'd have already used it, but it's clear you have an agenda and are here specifically to defend mediocrity. ;)

Reactions: UKortho
Not to mention, if you want that top talent, you only have them for 1 years (maybe 2 if you're lucky). Do you think the great X and O guys like Izzo would easily be able to get them ready to play the way they want in just a few months? Break them of bad habits, get them to buy in? Or, do you think the great coaching minds prefer more experienced teams, and trying to retain players who know the system?

Cal doesnt get the John Wall's of the world for more than 1 year. And it's not always a given that Freshman Wall and Cousins are better than seniors like Draymond Green and Adrien Payne.
Agree 100%. Cal is the best recruiter UK has had. I just take issue (not with anyone in particular and not your post) when people act as though Cal (Pitino, Hall Smith—anyone not named Rupp) doesn’t get a “bump” in their record and ability to win because they are at UK. Head to head comparisons of a coaches record vs another coaches record while not at UK are just meaningless.

Cal himself said he came to UK because it would allow him to recruit the best of the best. His words. Pitino was able to win at the level he did because he was at UK and not Providence. There are a handful of places that are currently that way. UK, KU, NC, Duke to name most. If it wasn’t advantageous to be a UK why come to this pressure cooker?

Laughable...tell us about the Richmond Spiders in Rupp, the Evansville Purple Aces in Rupp, Vandy multiple times in Rupp, and on and on and on...can't even draw up a simple inbounds play on offense or to defend.

Final Four? How many rocks have you smoked? We haven't even seen a S16 since you sprouted pubes.
Have you seen Shannon Sharpe? GO!!! RUN!!! I haven't seen him.

Your big question is will you follow him when he leaves...this is the University of KENTUCKY - not the University of Calipari, you obviously cannot separate the two. :flush:
Don’t follow posters so I am not speaking to this point but I wanted to comment living in Indiana, I was stunned how many IU fans suddenly were Texas Tech fans because of Knight. I don’t understand that mentality.

Don’t follow posters so I am not speaking to this point but I wanted to comment living in Indiana, I was stunned how many IU fans suddenly were Texas Tech fans because of Knight. I don’t understand that mentality.
Me neither...I'd get the casual interest, but to drop your team in favor of a coach? WTF?

I remember the antagonist Release the Squirms was a Tubby worshiper to the very end, he dropped UK and became a gopher fan. I have loyalty first and foremost to the University not the coaches...always have and always will.

Me neither...I'd get the casual interest, but to drop your team in favor of a coach? WTF?

I remember the antagonist Release the Squirms was a Tubby worshiper to the very end, he dropped UK and became a gopher fan. I have loyalty first and foremost to the University not the coaches...always have and always will.
Was that the attorney from Northern Indiana that was really a Purdue fan. That poster was batshit crazy. I remember very few posters but the poster I’m thinking of spewed so much bitterness it is hard to forget—although I think RTS had an alter that he posted under.

Was that the attorney from Northern Indiana that was really a Purdue fan. That poster was batshit crazy. I remember very few posters but the poster I’m thinking of spewed so much bitterness it is hard to forget—although I think RTS had an alter that he posted under.
Yeah RTS was insufferable...like Bass on crack infusions... [laughing]

Good post. Cal's remaining tenure here, and ultimately his final legacy at UK, will be determined by how strong he closes out these last 5 or 6 years in terms of recruiting.

If he continues to land guys like Justin Edwards and Jayden Quaintance, I believe in my heart of hearts that UK fans will be content for the most part. Cal was able to stem some disappointing tournament losses and even season-level failures (2013) by landing elite classes in the past.

The key is keeping UK's name in the bright lights. That will buy him time and keep BBN off his back.

The problem for Cal was that between 2019-2023, his recruiting headliners were guys like Boston, Whitney, Ty Ty, and Livingston.

That simply won't cut it when you combine that type of recruiting with poor on-the-court play. Cal is the one coach in America who does consistently well with elite freshmen. They are his lifeblood. So it's paramount that Cal continue to bring in top 5 guys.

Rasheed Wallace once said, "Ball don't lie." Well, in Cal's case, "Sample size don't lie" either. He's shown to be rather marginal with transfers and g-league level players. He absolutely needs guys like Wall, Boogie, Maxey, SGA, etc.

Edwards, Wagner, Bradshaw, Dillingham, Fland, and Quaintance seem to be a good start to what appears to be a resurgence.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I believe you are talking about the guy that starter as boilercat and after he was banned switched to Smokeypearl .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT