ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari is now 59-37 over his last 96 games (62% winning percentage). Pitino was 86-10 over his last 96 UK games (90% winning percentage).

Those are Billy Gillispie numbers
They certainly are.

It's the equivalent of 10-6 about six straight times.

That's trash-level basketball coaching.

Calipari needs nothing short of a magical finish this year. Final Four at minimum, but probably more likely a title if he makes it that far.

No more March heartbreak.

Win the freaking title, Cal.

After the disaster 9 win season I thought Cal had three seasons to get back to a FF to keep BBN from going mad. He’s got his staff and players this year, it’s put up or get out time.
Definitely. There's no more leeway room. Cal's banking on an elite class of '25 class to hold an imminently hostile fan base at bay.

The problem is that by that point, it may be too late.

Definitely. There's no more leeway room. Cal's banking on an elite class of '25 class to hold an imminently hostile fan base at bay.

The problem is that by that point, it may be too late.
I feel there’s only a select few who will buy into future recruiting. Whenever things were down the last few years and people pointed it out, the retort was always “if Cal leaves, UK won’t get Wagner.” Well, we got Wagner and company now, so lets get back to winning.

Cal didn’t win much of anything with a more traditional team the last two years. If he can’t win, again, with the top 5 stars/bonafide lotto picks; he isn’t winning anything again.

2017-18 - .702 -- 2 NCAA Tourney Wins
2018-19 - .810 -- 3 NCAA Tourney Wins
2019-20 - .806 -- NCAA Tourney Cancelled
2020-21 - .360 -- 0 NCAA Tourney Wins
2021-22 - .764 -- 0 NCAA Tourney Wins
2022-23 - .647 -- 1 NCAA Tourney Wins

2017-23 - .681 -- 6 NCAA Tourney Wins

You have to add all of these to equate the W's need for a title.

One single solitary tournament win in the last three seasons...spin that turd.

bxVEPzb.png

His in game coaching, or lack thereof, has been exposed. He can only win with elite talent, but hell, most anyone can win with elite talent. If anybody thinks we have a shot at a title this year you're delusional, but I hope he proves me wrong.

I can't wait until he's gone, regardless of the outcome of this season.

Pitino was the best coach ever at UK and Sutton was second best as far as basketball knowledge and in game coaching. Just think what Pitino did during probation with a team of of slow Ky white boys. If be had stayed we would have long since passed UCLA

Pitino left though so all this goofy speculation is meaningless. Your hero abandoned UK.

They certainly are.

It's the equivalent of 10-6 about six straight times.

That's trash-level basketball coaching.

Calipari needs nothing short of a magical finish this year. Final Four at minimum, but probably more likely a title if he makes it that far.

No more March heartbreak.

Win the freaking title, Cal.

Limited ability to post so I’m putting 3 into 1.

Everyone that understands what is at stake for the placement of UK in this game, both historically, and by perception, know for Calipari it’s title or bust. But even then, he still needs to end his time here for his legacy, and ours.

His supporters want that bar lowered but it won’t happen, UK fans will not write the history on these situations, that comes from the outside. Kentucky and Calipari are not going compared to middling success against Florida basketball, we’re going to be compared to Duke, Kansas, and UNC. They are not slowing down.

Indiana got left in the rear view mirror because of exactly what we’re doing right now. Making this process about a coach (creating a civil war) instead of a defined mission concentrated at this program’s legacy.

It’s very simple: he doesn’t win to our standard. Every single UK fan and the admin/brass should understand that concept. Every single one.

And it’s why, even if he wins a title, he still needs to go. Blue bloods are formed first and foremost by consistency and not sporadic occasional winning.

I fear what’s happened at UK is a two fold problem. Our administration no longer answers to people who are concerned with winning above all, and our fans cannot let go of 2010-2015 Calipari. If it makes money the administration is fine, if Calipari is retained some are happy and the program’s success is secondary. And there’s no way to remain the top, or even a top 3-5 program, with these realities driving the ship.

I wish more people would get their mind around one aspect above all. The potential of Calipari to win at a high level doesn’t matter anymore. His inconsistency is the reason he needs to be replaced. Winning a single title doesn’t change that. My scenario is we win a title this year and Calipari hangs it up. He gets two rings solidifying his place as our modern goat, and our program sits atop the mountain in most people’s minds. I think his sporadic tendencies would be forgotten when the history of our program is written down the road.

If he stays we are accepting inconsistency regardless of the highs. We will cease to be a blue blood.

Last edited:
And yet what's Pitino's record vs Cal?

This comment, if used to calculate Calipari’s standing ahead of Pitino, is so void of contextual necessity, it proves more about the person stating it than it does anything including their head to head standing.

Pitino is worlds above Calipari in this game, and that’s not just our opinion at Kentucky, that’s the opinion of most serious analysis who know the game.

Aren’t you the Jim Boeheim fan who
Grew up a Syracuse fan? Why are you talking about Kentucky basketball? You don’t know anything about it.

You will find very few serious people in this sport that would even say the comparison is close. It’s not close. There are different reasons for head to head records. Joe Hall barely ever beat Tennessee at Tennessee, it says nothing about the coaches.

I am done, he is not winning me back. I have been hoping for change for at least 5 years now. I would love to see him lead UK to a Championship/s but he would need to be reborn to win me back.

By Reborn I mean he would have to be someone he is not. I am talking major change and we all know he is not capable of the slightest amount of change.

I wish I had a video of ESPN coming out of commercial break during the Kansas game. They show UK huddleing around Cal as he is drawing up a play and mumbling which you can barely hear. No one is paying attention and he gets lost in his thoughts.
Someone else had to see that. I think it was about midway in the 1st half

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT