ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari Abassador role

Cats192

All-American
Apr 22, 2011
Do you think if Cal moved into that role--would that work?

Save everyone the look of firing/being fired.
Cal could go talk at events, do charity stuff, etc. He can offer the new coach guidance on navigating tough situations, the media, etc.
Keeping Calipari connected to the program helps keep the NBA support

On the flip side, will a new coach want that?
Do we still want to be seen as "The get you to the NBA" place with Calipari here?

To me that would be the best case scenario. Will it happen...

tenor.gif

Yeah, an ambassador that an apparently large chunk of fans despise? An ambassador for what? I sure hope not, I don't want his influence on the program at all anymore.

Cal could go talk at events, do charity stuff, etc. He can offer the new coach guidance on navigating tough situations, the media, etc.

Do we still want to be seen as "The get you to the NBA" place with Calipari here?
Isn't it $1 million a year for the rest of his life?

He's already made around $112 million over the course of his career.

He even told Ellen recently that if gets fired, they could simply just "buy an island" (according to a KSR writer who was present in Cal's house when it was said).

They don't need the money, but even if they did, $1 million a year to run around and speak favorably about the program is a nice gig.

Yeah, an ambassador that an apparently large chunk of fans despise? An ambassador for what? I sure hope not, I don't want his influence on the program at all anymore.
I actually think we could utilize him for recruiting. He is, after all, the bridge between our program and the NBA guys he's produced. This could and likely would benefit both parties.

It would also be the move that would keep our NBA attached to Kentucky, so they wouldn't have to "take sides." It's the graceful move to make.

Only works if he's ready to retire, but he'd actually be great in a position like that. Can say what you want about Cal, but the guy is a wizard when it comes to basketball branding. When his career is looked back at in full there will be way more positive than negative.

Give him a radio show, put him at midcourt, make him our Colonel Sanders.

He even told Ellen recently that if gets fired, they could simply just "buy an island" (according to a KSR writer who was present in Cal's house when it was said).

They don't need the money, but even if they did, $1 million a year to run around and speak favorably about the program is a nice gig.
I’m pretty sure it’s till the end of he’s current contract.

I actually think we could utilize him for recruiting. He is, after all, the bridge between our program and the NBA guys he's produced. This could and likely would benefit both parties.

It would also be the move that would keep our NBA attached to Kentucky, so they wouldn't have to "take sides." It's the graceful move to make.
So we can recruit the same players who jump ship after one year after woefully underperforming their rankings?

So we can recruit the same players who put us behind the 8-ball after the season where we're waiting for them to decide if they are going to go pro or not so we miss out on talented transfer portal players we may have had a shot with if our roster had a bit more certainty?

So we can recruit the same players who have led us to this mediocrity?

Pull the band-aid off, we need an entirely new approach with nothing left of his legacy.

Reactions: delk4three
Best scenario is Cal just leaving obviously. Paying him $1 million/year for doing nothing is better than paying him $9 million for doing nothing though.

Just don't see it happening. He can't be an ambassador when he's toxic to the fan base.

These threads are just comic relief now😂

I actually hope somehow Cal is back, just to see the shitshow that will ensue!

Heck, I hope Mitch gives Cal another raise, extension, and $500 million buyout clause🤣

I agree, but even if it did not help with recruiting he could still do the PR and charity stuff. Once the team starts winning again under another coach in time Cal might turn into the new Joe Hall. I remember a lot of fans hating Joe at the end of his run, then later becoming beloved. Same with Tubby.

To me that would be the best case scenario. Will it happen...

tenor.gif

I agree. He seems extremely vindictive. If he left imo he would actively try to destroy the program. At the very least it would be him removing all support whatsoever including turning former players against the fanbase. We really need to avoid that.

Reactions: KFuqua

We can still be a place where those talented enough to play at the next level can come and be a part of BBN. However, they would be treated very differently under another coach in that they would not be expected to make UK a one year stop. If they break out great, good for them and us, like shep and dilly this year. They will earn their playing time like every other player on the roster and not just handed a starting role. They likely will be surrounded with a vast majority of upperclassmen and no longer be a part of a recruiting class containing 5 or 6 five stars. And lastly they will actually be coached on how to win college basketball games and not just better their game for the next level. Our next coaches main goal is to win games and compete for championships.

But to the calipari role, I don’t see a head coach worth their salt wanting cal anywhere around the program unless it’s totally behind the scenes and perhaps tied to NIL related activities. I would take zero advice from cal and actually give him some “get the hell out of my office now”.

He’s already spoken about this in interviews that the ambassador clause in the contract was basically just a fallback plan in case he became physically unable to coach. If he’s in good health and gets forced out of the coaching position, I can’t imagine either side would even consider it.

So we can recruit the same players who jump ship after one year after woefully underperforming their rankings?

So we can recruit the same players who put us behind the 8-ball after the season where we're waiting for them to decide if they are going to go pro or not so we miss out on talented transfer portal players we may have had a shot with if our roster had a bit more certainty?

Pull the band-aid off, we need an entirely new approach with nothing left of his legacy.
I actually think that blending elite freshmen with elite transfers will be the path that the next head coach takes. Cal can help us with the freshmen aspect.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. It can be both.

Further, do you really want to alienate our pros from the program? The next head coach, if he's wise, will utilize the Tyrese Maxeys and SGAs of the world to help pull in elite talent here.

Reactions: University-6
I actually think that blending elite freshmen with elite transfers will be the path that the next head coach takes. Cal can help us with the freshmen aspect.

I don't have a problem w/ elite freshmen, obviously. But we went all in on DJ, Edwards, and Bradshaw, and aside from a couple games from each of them, they all turned out to be busts in a 1 year scenario.

But there were other players that were top 10 that were ready to contribute immediately and there are top 10 guys every year that go to other schools and don't have the mentality to get to the NBA as quickly as possible.

I don't want the same type of top 10 recruits that Cal is good at recruiting.

Reactions: Cats192
I think he still wants to coach so he wouldn't move into the ambassador role in my opinion.

That would never happen

Absolutely. Amazing gig, and he’d be great at it.

Further, do you really want to alienate our pros from the program? The next head coach, if he's wise, will utilize the Tyrese Maxeys and SGAs of the world to help pull in elite talent here.
I agree.

We have too much reliance on good/not great freshmen. We need to have good experienced older players, and then when freshmen are able to contribute, that takes you to another level.

Reactions: kywildcat41086

I understand the frustration and we all are there with Cal. However imagine any coach with that amount of talent other than Cal?

Even this year you more than likely cut the losses in half and are still playing.

Likely don’t wait all season to play the best line up in the St. Peter’s year leading to a new Pg last season.

And I think almost anyone considered a coach woulda won in 2015.

I believe as others have pointed out it may be tough for a new coach to wrap his head around Cal being that involved, but if that aspect of it could be worked out this would be a slam dunk for all involved.

I can’t imagine the parties involved actually considering this though as there seems to be way more conflict than we even imagined between everyone associated with UK basketball and unfortunately it will prob just get worse no matter what happens.

Reactions: jedwar
I always thought he'd be much better at the business side of this. Figuring out NIL money, approaching businesses, etc

Only works if he's ready to retire, but he'd actually be great in a position like that. Can say what you want about Cal, but the guy is a wizard when it comes to basketball branding. When his career is looked back at in full there will be way more positive than negative.

Give him a radio show, put him at midcourt, make him our Colonel Sanders.
I don’t know, I kinda feel like he ran this brand straight into the ground. Not just based upon wins/losses but also with attitude, comments, relationships, etc. not sure he is “built” for ambassador at this point in time.

Reactions: KFuqua
I don’t know, I kinda feel like he ran this brand straight into the ground. Not just based upon wins/losses but also with attitude, comments, relationships, etc. not sure he is “built” for ambassador at this point in time.

I feel like all the arguments have been had before and we end up arguing about perceptions (which to your point is part of the problem with Calipari as an ambassador).

I can't justify why Calipari rants about criticism every time he wins. That does have a negative impact on his perception and is a big problem whether he realizes it or not. I do think he genuinely cares about the program, fans and the state. I really don't have any doubt about that.

I do think at some point the current vibe towards Calipari does a 180. It was just as bad with Tubby Smith, but let's be real, if Tubby settled back in Lexington, was more involved in media, I think he'd be welcomed with open arms. In hindsight, the guy did a really good job (he certainly never had 4 seasons like the last 4).

But to that point, if you look back at Calipari, his early years were some of the best runs in college basketball history. Literally might not be replicated by a UK coach (for at least some time) So, I think there is room there to build goodwill ONLY if Calipari desires to build that good will.

No, it is $1M per year until end of contract.

The lifetime wording of the whole contract was misleading.

What would he really do? Cal is a control freak. He wouldn't be able to keep off.

I'm also sick of constant 5 star recruits as odd as that might sound. Our teams are brand new damn near every year and you can't win with freshmen anymore. Need an older team of dudes not willing to jump to the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT