ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari ''“I’m not letting [Zvonimir Ivisic] shoot any threes,"

Lol it's funny how our fans pump up Big Z and his abilities. He had one game that you are all pretending was a whole season. He was 3-12 on 3's outside the game against Georgia. They were all wide open aswell. The dudes "potential" isnt what some of you think either . He worked out for the NBA the past 2 off-seasons. He wasn't gonna be drafted. If his potential was that high someone would have taken a shot on him

I’m so GD happy that I don’t have to hear his nonsense going into the season anymore. I have the best 3 point shooting team in the nation, but this year we won’t shoot a 3 guys. I will play 3 big men and we will shoot only 20 foot jumpers. It will work because nobody expects it.
It’s so stubborn. Like man people are wise to your schtick.

Sure. You’ve got to hit some tough 15-17 footers at times. That’s part of the game. But that’s not the shot you want to be looking for all the time.

To understand this stance by Cal, you first have to understand Cal. He’s only worried about improving Z’s draft stock and this is how he does that in his mind. It’s not about winning games now, same as when he was here. All about draft night.
Well. The NBA isn’t about big men jamming the post as much anymore so…..not sure how this helps Zs draft stock either.

I read the same or similar article on FB the other day which had a quote that I didn’t see in this article just scanning through it but maybe I missed it, anyway it was this.

"I believe that individual development comes before you start talking systems and how your team's going to play," Calipari said. "We did none of that — system, teamwork, plays. We don't have an out of bounds play, a zone offense. We don't have a press. We have nothing."

This won’t change when the season starts either 😂. Good luck hog fans!!!!

We might have #9 if the best shooting big man in the NBA was allowed to play more than five feet from the basket.
The best shooting big man in the NBA was not a good shooter at UK. It took him a few years once in the NBA to become that great of a shooter. I dont know why people continually act like NBA UK players and college UK players had the exact same skillset.

KAT hit 0.4 3s on 1.1 attempts per game his rookie year. He also shot 25% from 3 his year here. To act like he has always been some great shooter is just not accurate.

I agree with you, I said, in Cal’s mind.

He’s never liked his big men to shoot outside of the paint.
Carr will certainly shoot some, but how many threes can we expect Garrison and Williams to shoot this year ?? Williams shot a total of 26 in his 4 years at Drexel and Garrison did not attempt one last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThrowBackCat9
KAT was a 57.7% 2 point shooter in college and made over 80% on his free throws.

In conference play he was 8th in 2pt FG% at 59%.

I wouldn't necessarily say that's bad.

Because KAT was a poor shooter in college. It took him a few years to become a good shooter in the NBA.

KAT was a 57.7% 2 point shooter in college and made over 80% on his free throws.

In conference play he was 8th in 2pt FG% at 59%.

I wouldn't necessarily say that's bad.
One of my favorite moments from the genius Calipari was when he tried to turn the most finessed guy in big man history - Skal Labissiere - into a post-up big man.

That's when we all really knew we had a savant of a head coach. Incredible stuff, and you guys are so right in defending him against these anti-Cal thugs.

The best shooting big man in the NBA was not a good shooter at UK. It took him a few years once in the NBA to become that great of a shooter. I dont know why people continually act like NBA UK players and college UK players had the exact same skillset.

KAT hit 0.4 3s on 1.1 attempts per game his rookie year. He also shot 25% from 3 his year here. To act like he has always been some great shooter is just not accurate.
Towns shot 34% from three as an NBA rookie. That's actually not bad for a big. The next season, he hit over 100 threes.

Towns could always shoot the ball. Same for Davis. Did they get better? Sure. But Cal didn't green light them anymore than he green lit Skal's midrange game, or last year's UK team that should have been taking 28-30 threes a game but somehow managed to take 24.

He hates perimeter-oriented basketball, and his philosophy obviously doesn't work anymore, but I think it's super groovy that you defend him so gleefully.

“I’m not letting [Zvonimir Ivisic] shoot any threes," Calipari said. "Big Z, 7-foot-2, he wants to shoot – no, no, no. You’re not shooting threes, so now he has to shoot twos. You know why? An elbow jumper, when you miss that, it’s kind of embarrassing.

“A three when you’re 7-foot-2 and you’re way out there? Ah man, he almost made that. No, you’re shooting twos and that means you’re going to get in the gym and get better or you’re going to be embarrassed all the time. And you know what? He’s getting better.”

Calipari just wants his guys to be at their most effective – even if it’s cool to see a seven-footer cashing in threes. It’s clear the Head Hog wants to see his big men in more of a prototypical role, focusing on blocking shots and finishing on the inside out of post-ups and pick and rolls.

“He would just rather see me take a mid-range shot because I’m going to make that more than I make a three, probably,” Brazile said. “His resume speaks for itself, so I just try to do what he says. This summer I feel like I’ve made a lot of progress with not shooting threes and just being what he calls an ‘attack dog.’”

So happy this dude is out of here. Same shit, different state!

atg-studiocapa.gif

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Carr will certainly shoot some, but how many threes can we expect Garrison and Williams to shoot this year ?? Williams shot a total of 26 in his 4 years at Drexel and Garrison did not attempt one last year.

I don’t think either AW or BG shoot many but that’s not part of their game. If they were able to shoot it like Z, I’m sure they would be allowed to shoot all game under Pope.

Reactions: CrimsonCats

25%. He attempted only 8. Likely some of those were due to shot clock expiring. So that 25% is almost meaningless.

And the 0.4 of 1.1 per game, was 34.1%, which quickly improved to 36.7%, then 42.1%. EVERY NBA rookie sees a drop in 3pt shooting as a rookie, longer distance than college, and taller more athletic defenders. So that 34% was pretty solid.

Cal’s love affair with the mid-range shot is just strange at this point. He seems convinced that it’s a nice easy shot that is not only a quality outcome for a possession, but a potential confidence builder for mediocre three point shooters where he can just fix their approach by having them take a couple of steps in. The problem is that there’s a mountain of evidence to the contrary in this age of stat tracking. Any uptick in shooting percentage on mid-range jumpers is pretty slight compared to threes, and isn’t anywhere near enough to overcome the efficiency advantage that the extra point gains you by taking the three instead. I’m really glad we’ll be trying a different approach this year.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
I don’t think either AW or BG shoot many but that’s not part of their game. If they were able to shoot it like Z, I’m sure they would be allowed to shoot all game under Pope.
I definitely agree that coaches need to make determinations, using proven ability to hit threes, as to who should be shooting them during games. During his pro and college career, Z is 17-59 for 28.8% and has not proven that he can shoot at a high enough percentage to make sense. For comparison, Sahvir Wheeler was 31-93 for 33.3% at UK and most here (including me) often cringed whenever he shot one.

Everybody is not a 3-point shooter, much like everyone is not a clean-up hitter. Coaches must assess how to best utilize personnel on both ends of the floor, including who is "authorized" to shoot threes.
Just for reference and comparison, here are some three-point shooting stats from last season, ranked by attempts:

MINSATTATT/MIN3PT%MINSATTATT/MIN3PT%
REEVES
1035​
188​
0.1816​
44.7%​
ALMONOR
1025​
236​
39.4%​
SHEPPARD
953​
144​
0.1511​
52.1%
ROBINSON
871​
229​
35.4%​
DILLINGHAM
745​
144​
44.4%​
BREA
960​
201​
49.8%
WAGNER
748​
96​
0.1283​
29.2%​
KRIISA
769​
144​
0.1873​
42.4%​
EDWARDS
686​
85​
0.1239​
36.5%​
BUTLER
1020​
106​
0.1039​
30.2%​
MITCHELL
817​
82​
0.1004​
30.5%​
CARR
1140​
97​
0.0851​
37.1%​
THIERO
535​
22​
0.0411​
31.8%​
OWEH
797​
53​
0.0665​
37.7%​
IVISIC
176​
16​
0.0909​
37.5%​
WILLIAMS
820​
3​
0.0037​
33.3%​
BRADSHAW
358​
14​
0.0391​
28.6%​
GARRISON
721​
0​
0.0000​
0.0%​
BURKS
140​
5​
0.0357​
40.0%​
CHANDLER
0.0%​
HART
10​
1​
0.1000​
100.0%​
PERRY
0.0%​
ONYENSO
448​
1​
0.0022​
0.0%​
NOAH
0.0%​

Last edited:
I definitely agree that coaches need to make determinations, using proven ability to hit threes, as to who should be shooting them during games. During his pro and college career, Z is 17-59 for 28.8% and has not proven that he can shoot at a high enough percentage to make sense. For comparison, Sahvir Wheeler was 31-93 for 33.3% at UK and most here (including me) often cringed whenever he shot one.

Everybody is not a 3-point shooter, much like everyone is not a clean-up hitter. Coaches must assess how to best utilize personnel on both ends of the floor, including who is "authorized" to shoot threes.
Just for reference and comparison, here are some three-point shooting stats from last season, ranked by attempts:

MINSATTATT/MIN3PT%MINSATTATT/MIN3PT%
REEVES
1035​
188​
0.1816​
44.7%​
ALMONOR
1025​
236​
39.4%​
SHEPPARD
953​
144​
0.1511​
52.1%
ROBINSON
871​
229​
35.4%​
DILLINGHAM
745​
144​
44.4%​
BREA
960​
201​
49.8%
WAGNER
748​
96​
0.1283​
29.2%​
KRIISA
769​
144​
0.1873​
42.4%​
EDWARDS
686​
85​
0.1239​
36.5%​
BUTLER
1020​
106​
0.1039​
30.2%​
MITCHELL
817​
82​
0.1004​
30.5%​
CARR
1140​
97​
0.0851​
37.1%​
THIERO
535​
22​
0.0411​
31.8%​
OWEH
797​
53​
0.0665​
37.7%​
IVISIC
176​
16​
0.0909​
37.5%​
WILLIAMS
820​
3​
0.0037​
33.3%​
BRADSHAW
358​
14​
0.0391​
28.6%​
GARRISON
721​
0​
0.0000​
0.0%​
BURKS
140​
5​
0.0357​
40.0%​
CHANDLER
0.0%​
HART
10​
1​
0.1000​
100.0%​
PERRY
0.0%​
ONYENSO
448​
1​
0.0022​
0.0%​
NOAH
0.0%​

Wheeler was a 5’6 pass first PG that has no place in D1 basketball.

Z is a 7’3 big man with limitless potential.

Totally different players, positions and any comparison with those 2 are irrelevant.

If you watched Z shoot it with ease and with great form and you’re determined he should shoot zero 3’s based that small sample size of 59 attempts over a few years, nothing I’m gonna say will make sense.

Have a good one!

Wheeler was a 5’6 pass first PG that has no place in D1 basketball.

Z is a 7’3 big man with limitless potential.

Totally different players, positions and any comparison with those 2 are irrelevant.

If you watched Z shoot it with ease and with great form and you’re determined he should shoot zero 3’s based that small sample size of 59 attempts over a few years, nothing I’m gonna say will make sense.

Have a good one!
I am not saying that Wheeler should be shooting threes, but only saying that I can see why it may not be in the best interest of his team for Z to be shooting them, unless he proves to be one of the highest percentage shooters on his team. I recognize that Z's debut was nothing short of amazing, but he never came close to duplicating it ever again during the season. If he were on our team, with the number of proven shooters we have, I'd see no reason he should be shooting them. He would be taking a three-point shot that someone else could/should be taking. To my view, the ability to hit shots at the elbow for a guy his size would be essential for any team that might face zone defenses throughout games. I can picture Melvin Turpin hitting that shot right now ... he was money !! Thanks for the exchange.

Last edited:

“I’m not letting [Zvonimir Ivisic] shoot any threes," Calipari said. "Big Z, 7-foot-2, he wants to shoot – no, no, no. You’re not shooting threes, so now he has to shoot twos. You know why? An elbow jumper, when you miss that, it’s kind of embarrassing.

“A three when you’re 7-foot-2 and you’re way out there? Ah man, he almost made that. No, you’re shooting twos and that means you’re going to get in the gym and get better or you’re going to be embarrassed all the time. And you know what? He’s getting better.”

Calipari just wants his guys to be at their most effective – even if it’s cool to see a seven-footer cashing in threes. It’s clear the Head Hog wants to see his big men in more of a prototypical role, focusing on blocking shots and finishing on the inside out of post-ups and pick and rolls.

“He would just rather see me take a mid-range shot because I’m going to make that more than I make a three, probably,” Brazile said. “His resume speaks for itself, so I just try to do what he says. This summer I feel like I’ve made a lot of progress with not shooting threes and just being what he calls an ‘attack dog.’”

So happy this dude is out of here. Same shit, different state!
Cal hasn’t changed a bit. Thoughts and prayers hog fans

Reactions: KFuqua
I am not saying that Wheeler should be shooting threes, but only saying that I can see why it may not be in the best interest of his team for Z to be shooting them, unless he proves to be one of the highest percentage shooters on his team. I recognize that Z's debut was nothing short of amazing, but he never came close to duplicating it ever again during the season. If he were on our team, with the number of proven shooters we have, I'd see no reason he should be shooting them. He would be taking a three-point shot that someone else could/should be taking. To my view, the ability to hit shots at the elbow for a guy his size would be essential for any team that might face zone defenses throughout games. I can picture Melvin Turpin hitting that shot right now ... he was money !! Thanks for the exchange.

That’s because Cal didn’t give him much of a chance and didn’t put him in the position many more times after that.

You don’t see the benefit of a 7’2 Center being able to step out and hit a 3? You don’t see the benefit and open lanes that are created from a Center being able to draw his man out to the 3 point line?

If Z is made to be a back to the basket player, he will never play in the NBA. If he’s allowed to play his game and shoot the ball, he can be a lottery pick.

We just understand the differently and that’s ok. 😊

That’s because Cal didn’t give him much of a chance and didn’t put him in the position many more times after that.

You don’t see the benefit of a 7’2 Center being able to step out and hit a 3? You don’t see the benefit and open lanes that are created from a Center being able to draw his man out to the 3 point line?

If Z is made to be a back to the basket player, he will never play in the NBA. If he’s allowed to play his game and shoot the ball, he can be a lottery pick.

We just understand the differently and that’s ok. 😊
"If Z is made to be a back to the basket player, he will never play in the NBA. If he’s allowed to play his game and shoot the ball, he can be a lottery pick."

... I would fully agree with this and proves, once again, it's not about what's best for the players, as Cal claims. Z decided to "trust" Cal when he came to UK and followed him to Arkansas, the later, a decision I believe he will live to regret.

Reactions: ThrowBackCat9
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT