ADVERTISEMENT

Cal with Wagner and Reed back , with staff changes

….run it back with Adou, Reed , Z, Wagner and the recruiting class plus a couple portal pieces with a ‘final four or bust ‘ mentality…maybe even with a reduced buyout . Staff changes to help defensively . I think I’d take that , also knowing it’d give us time to line up a potential replacement. I don’t see a scenario where a new coach could have us better than we would be with Reed, Wagner, and the number two class.
That was meant to be this year.

Reactions: GoCats53
WHATEVER happens, needs to happen soon!!!! Hopefully the announcement happens by SUNDAY night!!!!

Then the Lexington news stations can show Cal evacuating the Joe Craft Center at 3am Monday morning and Alan Cutler chasing him to his car!!!!

Then alot of the talk all week will be Cal's replacement at Kentucky.

Kentucky basketball just hit ANOTHER iceberg and can no longer be saved!!

I already see where this is going. They don’t wanna pay that buy out and they’re going to get people to get on social media to try to brain wash people into falling for a bunch of lies. People will fall for it, but I’m not
They already are. Matt Jones is getting all nostalgic on Twitter. He's walking it back. Others will follow. I'm done.

NO!

Talk about being stuck on stupid.
No more rearranging the deck chairs on the Caltannic.

It's over. Caput.
Nein!
Do not pass go. Proceed straight to coach jail!

Sinking Leonardo Dicaprio GIF

Reactions: GoCats53 and ib4ky
….run it back with Adou, Reed , Z, Wagner and the recruiting class plus a couple portal pieces with a ‘final four or bust ‘ mentality…maybe even with a reduced buyout . Staff changes to help defensively . I think I’d take that , also knowing it’d give us time to line up a potential replacement. I don’t see a scenario where a new coach could have us better than we would be with Reed, Wagner, and the number two class.
LMAO ok so you want another 10+ lose season and another poor showing in the tourney's. Cal has already changed the staff the last 2 years in fact. Cal has already tried the portal route and failed at that. Cal just tried the top recruiting class route and failed badly with that. So you want to just write next season off because you are scared that the UK job wouldn't attack top flight coaches? You will get your wish. Barhart isn't going to fire Cal. When he doesn't and next season is a disaster then both need to be fired.

They already are. Matt Jones is getting all nostalgic on Twitter. He's walking it back. Others will follow. I'm done.
Well then I’ll see y’all on the other side of 2025. The sway Cal has over this program is absolutely sickening. I wish him nothing but the worst.

Prediction: we won’t make the tournament for Cal’s 3rd time at in 13 years

Buyout, schmyout pay the man to leave, like yesterday!!!!!

Any fan that buys into the rinse/ repeat propaganda if Cal is back next year by frequenting Rupp Arena and the tourneys ARE part of the problem$$$$$$

The Kentucky basketball program has brand/ name value to the University, to Lexington and to the stae of Kentucky!!!

How much value has been lost over the last few years with no reasonable hope for the near future IF, IF Calipari is still the autocratic leader of this program?????

There is really NO valid reason to expect any dominating seasons or any type of long tourney runs with Cal at the helm!!!!

First remove the cancer, then try to rehabilitate and rejuvenate the patient!!

IMO, this season (2023/24) was the make or break year for Calipari to regain the majority of the fanbases' trust to lead the program!!!

BUT Cal and the whole team took a big-ole 💩💩💩 all over the floor at PPG Paints Arena and all over the BEST fanbase in the country!!!!

He has 3 or 4 million worth of assistants/yes men now. The ones he has didn’t do anything wrong. You think most of them didn’t see he was starting the wrong guys? He’s not going to listen to anybody. He thinks he knows basketball. Except I don’t think he’s ever really put in the work to learn the nuances of the game. He knows one way. That’s to get the most talent, and get them to play hard. That’s not enough anymore.

I am fine with this crap, nothing he can do can make me want him ever coaching again at UK

So you joined last year just after we flamed out early against KState. Yeah, I'm sure you're a legit UK fan.

That’s not gonna cut it. There would have to be massive concession by cal on his contract like a total renegotiation that eliminated most of the buyout so if shit don’t work out he’s gone asap maybe even mid season.
A lot of fake fans and total idiots on this board when UK loses. Let’s start by reality. Getting rid of Cal will put the UK program in a black hole for the next 3-4 years. No recruits this year means playing with transfers only for next year no matter who the coach. It also means the next year as well if the new coach can recruit. The recruits would go and so would the wins. Now this fan base has no concept what will happen but UK will become an afterthought if it can’t recruit on a National level. Just like Tubbys time, the fan base wanted a proven recruiter.Thats what they got when they hired Cal.

There is a reason everyone always mentions Pitino. That’s the time the team played for Kentucky and the style Pitino brought to UK was take no prisoners attitude. Pitino recruited players because of his style of play, pressing on defense, and destroying teams with 3 point shooting. Those kids never mentioned the NBA draft. Why would any coach want these NBA types even on your campus if you want your kids focused on Kentucky.

So if their is a coach that plays a style that forgets about the NBA draft, that the fans like to watch and the recruited players like to play for UK will thrive.

• Haha
Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
If you let Welch run the offense and hire a top not defensive coach and let them call the plays without any interference from Cal. Cal can still recruit and be NBA agent for the players 🤷🏻‍♂️
Of course I’m joking, that’s not happening

Cal needs to go. Not yesterday. In 2015 when he decided to play the twins over winning a game. I think that game was his first real taste of favoring NBA draft picks over doing what it takes to win.
Totally agree
He let the twins throw that game away along with a title and a perfect season.
He couldn't coach a grade school team

Reactions: NociHTTP
Let’s workshop this idea from a Cal-UK neutral perspective. The only parameter being each player and prospective player have to make decisions in their best interest.

First we’ll start at PG. Reed, DJ, and Boogie all need/want to show the NBA they can run the point. So while we’ve run 3 guards together I can’t imagine all 3 wanting to be here together. Due to draft projection we’ll say DJ is the one who stays but you can use Reed if you wish.

PG- DJ/Reed, Boogie, utility PG Perry

Shooting guard is probably your premium transfer portal target with Richmond as an athletic wing off the bench at the 2/3. Perry gets some time here as well.

SG- Transfer, Richmond, some 2 point guard time, and Perry

Small forward is probably the hardest position. Knox imo is good enough to warrant serious minutes but I don’t feel comfortable in the portal era writing him in sharpie as a starter. But how many transfers will want to split time with two top 25 prospects(Richmond I’ll get some time at the 3). I’ll guess we add a transfer here of the Keshad Johnson type level from last year, maybe a tick below.

SF- Transfer, Knox, and Richmond

At the power forward position it comes down to the expectation with Jateen Quantaince and the position he plays. If it’s mainly the 4 you probably have your 4 rotation between him and Adou. MAYBE JQ plays some 5 to get Adou more minutes as a JR.

PF- JQ, Adou, depth guy

Z is not staying half way across the world away from his family, GF, etc to be a rotational big. I could see him staying as the starting C. Are you comfortable with Somto as your backup C or do you have to get a guy from the portal with some experience? Does Somto then decommit if he’s 3rd/4th C if you include JQ? I’ll say he does.

C- Z, JQ, Transfer big

So the roster is:
DJ or Reed
Boogie
Perry
Top SG transfer
Richmond
Knox
Average Wing transfer
Adou
Quaintance
Z
Transfer big

Those would be your guys. Regardless of coach I’m not sure how great the 5 you put out there are. Probably depends on how good you think DJ/Reed, Adou, Z, and ultra young JQ will all be. They could all be great. They could all disappoint expectations. Who knows.

….run it back with Adou, Reed , Z, Wagner and the recruiting class plus a couple portal pieces with a ‘final four or bust ‘ mentality…maybe even with a reduced buyout . Staff changes to help defensively . I think I’d take that , also knowing it’d give us time to line up a potential replacement. I don’t see a scenario where a new coach could have us better than we would be with Reed, Wagner, and the number two
I hope this is a joke. Look at his tournament record for the past four years. He can’t teach simple plays or any semblance of defense. He is tired and lazy with a contract that gives him no reason to put forth effort while our program tanks.

Stop with this 💩. He sucks. He sucks. He sucks.

I don’t want him back with the globetrotters.

He needs to go.
I think where the OP was going with this is “if we can’t/won’t do a full buy-out” and “he won’t leave voluntarily “, then would this be an acceptable compromise?
To me, only if part of the deal is he gets rid of the buy-out, so if he fails again can be fired with no buy-out.

Reactions: bradyjames
Over on the KSR board this is something it seems 20 people are in love with for some reason......... Its a train wreck idea.

Cal's going to have all the pressure in the world , its going to translate into the team..

NO NCAAF OR NCAAB COACH has lost the fan base and faith from Administration and ever gotten back to high success at the same school/ program and its for the logical and sound reason that this sh*t spirals downwards. The anger and frustration from fans and administration spirals down into the Coach and Players and that affects them and causes losing mentality.....which spirals downwards into more anger and frustration from fans and administration.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT