ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Said Sharpe Doesn't Know the Plays ... What Plays?

We literally run ZERO offense. It is dribble, dribble, try to beat your man. Throw up something at the end of the shot clock.

Lowering your head and barreling toward the basket….duhhhh!

Is that "GOOOOOOOOO" or "RUNNNNNNNNN?"

"Run & Shoot"
LOL this stuff again? Below is a vid that does a great job of breaking some of it down. Yelling run and shoot are not the coach calling plays, it's the coach trying to keep the players focused on sprinting up the court and not passing up open shots. I would think that would be obvious to basketball fans.

What bothers me is that some of our supposed fans defend that bullshit.
Sharpe has the greatest setup of all time.

**** 10,000 girls, collect a couple million in NIL, 6 month luxury basketball camp at UK, don’t have to play a minute from the end of your junior year of high school, and you’re a top 5 pick?

I’d take that deal if I were Sharpe.

I wouldn’t take that deal if I were Calipari though, 0 minutes from the guy and the entire fanbase is going to ****ing hate you over you providing him a basketball camp just to claim his draft pick for your ego.

You’re so stupid . We are 16-4. We have a good team. And you want Cal gone? You retard . And Sharpe will play within the next week or two. Go do something with your life
Wow, great analysis. An inch wide and a microbe deep. But at least you got your money's worth on the insults.

Hot Take Bro!!!

Word on the street is Sharpe is having a really hard time picking up the weave 30 feet from the basket. Also really struggling with one on one contested 18 footers.
Give him a youtube video of the globetrotters he will catch on quickly

• Haha
Reactions: TFCats11
Cal doesn’t want to get exposed.. keeps timeouts in pockets
I really do think that's why he doesn't call timeouts. He doesn't want to reveal that he just doesn't have the mental ability to set something up in a timeout, by design, in the heat of the moment.

Reactions: gwjenning
I really do think that's why he doesn't call timeouts. He doesn't want to reveal that he just doesn't have the mental ability to set something up in a timeout, by design, in the heat of the moment.
Ah Jeez. I really thought I had Cal figured out but I realize now I didn't want to face that possibility. It's just so cynical. I'm plenty critical of Cal but not sure I want to surrender to Dark Side Level 10.

UK runs a ton of plays. If you know what you’re looking at your notice several different variations of the floppy action or Horn at top of the key, running guys from the baseline around to the top of the key to create opportunities so it’s not just one set play but it puts players and opportunities to make plays. Exactly what’s done in the NBA
Calipari teaches and runs "action" not plays. His action is designed to create mismatches that will allow players to beat their man for either a open jumper or a drive to the goal.
The success of that approach is predicated upon having superior talent.
Occasionally UK will run a few very simple down screens or even a weave. That double option handoff at the top of the key (AKA double horns set) is garbage and any team can easily prepare for it.
When was the last time you saw our guys cut hard from the wing or work off of multiple screens for a backdoor layup?
When was the last time Calipari ran a actual play on a out of bounds throw in?
Calipari/UK runs a VERY bland, unimaginative offense. Nothing very hard to defend against.

Sharpe is so ****ing bad he can’t get in a game where our 12th man is forced to play double digit minutes.

it’s beyond obvious at this point that Sharpe and Cal have a mutually beneficial deal where Cal pretends to have recruited the #1 guy, and Sharpe steals millions from Kentucky businesses with no intention of playing a minute here.

Been saving this for ever. They just didn’t expect the information to come out until later in the season or after. I’ll never believe anything different. This is how Calipari rolls. His own personal NBA mafia family persona is very important to him.

I do think underneath it he might have tried to get him to play but knew it was a long shot. His “covid” excuse seemed to be opening the door for a potential subtle blame job in the Sharpes direction but nah, Cal pretty much knows he’s not going to play. When the info came out that he’s eligible for the NBA draft that’s all the proof you needed. They’ve been lying. It is what it is.

Which is why I’m furiously angry at Cal, I want him gone.

Cal isn’t ignorant to a kids high school credits. He’s known this whole time just as Shaedon has.

it’s the beginning of an NIL era and Cal let a kid abuse loyal businesses. That’s good for businesses giving our kids money in the future.
You have 1,870 post and 93 likes. The 93 likes are from the Cal haters and trolls and that should tell you something, but I doubt that you’re intelligent enough to figure it out.

Reactions: CowboyGumBoots
According to his own mouth, it’s called “run” and “shoot.” Sounds like Sharpe has never played basketball before. Maybe he will be ready in a few years.
He'll be ready for the NBA in 5 months.

Sharpe is so ****ing bad he can’t get in a game where our 12th man is forced to play double digit minutes.

it’s beyond obvious at this point that Sharpe and Cal have a mutually beneficial deal where Cal pretends to have recruited the #1 guy, and Sharpe steals millions from Kentucky businesses with no intention of playing a minute here.
Yep! We all might as well pretend he’s not even on the team, because in a way he isn’t. F Cal and F Sharpe. Maybe Sharpe will take Cal with him this summer if we’re lucky.

Sharpe knew what his high school credits were and he knew he was eligible for this draft a year ago, and he’s made dubious and lied about that status and his plans for months.

Why? It’s either because he plans to pass up guaranteed set for life lottery money to play for UK as a 20 year old, or it’s because he knew he wouldn’t get NIL money if there wasn’t an illusion he’d play here.

what do you think is more likely? Sharpe might literally be the biggest piece of shit to ever come to Kentucky, and Cal will have been complicit in his plan for the clout of pretending to land the #1 player.
You realize he is only 18 an will still only be 18 when the seasons I’ve right? He won’t turn 20 for almost a year and a half from now. What a ridiculous post you made. Your post is shameful and signifies so much of what’s wrong with the world we live in.

Lol. The ones who hate cal will complain until he's gone. I like him I don't love him and I know we could do worse. We could have Hubert Davis.... When we have another coach and we have a bad season followed by a 20-10 season you guys will want them fired.

Mad all about Sharpe but same person responsible for Sharpe is responsible for Oscar coming here just saying...

Look....I fall into a camp that Cal could be a bit more strategic in nature but if you want to look a coaching that is pretty AAU-ish go pull up Memphis game with Penny. For those that are really interested in a non emotional answer:

1. Our defensive sets have the guards digging back off their man when opposite action has a ball screen to avoid clear path drives.
2. On defense, team like to pick your bigman with guards to open an entry pass to the paint and our guards need to bump/slow down the bigman to allow Oscar to get there in time and then get back to his guard that is usually cutting back to perimeter for a shot off his screen action.
3. On offense...we do run cuts for our guard from the paint to the perimeter and if the play gets blown up, then you re screen the ball with the bigman as they read the play for 2nd action.

I could go on and on with a list of strategies Cal uses and maybe Sharpe isn't ready for them just yet. Basketball is a pretty complex game and the 5 players have to play as a unit to reach max potential. If this was baseball, which is a ton more individualistic in nature....I'd argue let Sharpe in. But there is a logical reason to not throw a dude out there from the streets (which is why I was never a fan of this mid year enrollee stuff no matter how it all plays out).

• Love
Reactions: University-6
I thought we prepare kids for the NBA? I mean it's not like an NBA team who makes a trade midseason gives the players several months to learn the plays, acclimate to the new team and slowly bring them into the rotation.

Apparently he is still learning to dribble with one hand and arrived on campus shooting everything granny style.

Look....I fall into a camp that Cal could be a bit more strategic in nature but if you want to look a coaching that is pretty AAU-ish go pull up Memphis game with Penny. For those that are really interested in a non emotional answer:

1. Our defensive sets have the guards digging back off their man when opposite action has a ball screen to avoid clear path drives.
2. On defense, team like to pick your bigman with guards to open an entry pass to the paint and our guards need to bump/slow down the bigman to allow Oscar to get there in time and then get back to his guard that is usually cutting back to perimeter for a shot off his screen action.
3. On offense...we do run cuts for our guard from the paint to the perimeter and if the play gets blown up, then you re screen the ball with the bigman as they read the play for 2nd action.

I could go on and on with a list of strategies Cal uses and maybe Sharpe isn't ready for them just yet. Basketball is a pretty complex game and the 5 players have to play as a unit to reach max potential. If this was baseball, which is a ton more individualistic in nature....I'd argue let Sharpe in. But there is a logical reason to not throw a dude out there from the streets (which is why I was never a fan of this mid year enrollee stuff no matter how it all plays out).
I was just told in another thread by a Cal slurper that this team of veterans hasn't begun to mesh yet despite having played 20 games. So the 'chemistry' argument won't hold water.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
We stomped 16 St Mary’s school for the blinds and we have lost the 4 most important games we played all year.

Real impressive.

You forgot to mention the key injuries in the last two losses...that would have most likely been wins with a healthy team (LSU for sure would have been, not as sold on AU as they are really good and tough at home, but I think we probably hang on if Tyty plays).

Also TN is ranked 18th but of course you are not going to count that as a quality win. That said, if we go to Knoxville and lose you will be bitching up a storm.

I was just told in another thread by a Cal slurper that this team of veterans hasn't begun to mesh yet despite having played 20 games. So the 'chemistry' argument won't hold water.
Well I would argue that the dismantling of Tennessee last weekend clearly shows this team has meshed a ton vs. a really good defensive team. We completely had them so disjointed in that game with ball movement, deep shooting, fast breaks, pull up off dribble, drives to rim, etc.... It was a clinic beginning to end in team ball.

But Sharpe meshing with this team would only take time and while I don't agree at all with Cal bringing him on in the way it has turned out....I'm not going nuts on why Cal is not playing Sharpe yet....there are team dynamics that its reasonable to imagine he's not ready yet.

Reactions: University-6
Well I would argue that the dismantling of Tennessee last weekend clearly shows this team has meshed a ton vs. a really good defensive team. We completely had them so disjointed in that game with ball movement, deep shooting, fast breaks, pull up off dribble, drives to rim, etc.... It was a clinic beginning to end in team ball.

But Sharpe meshing with this team would only take time and while I don't agree at all with Cal bringing him on in the way it has turned out....I'm not going nuts on why Cal is not playing Sharpe yet....there are team dynamics that its reasonable to imagine he's not ready yet.
Allen played 18 minutes last night, he has played barely at all this season.

I just don't buy the 'team dynamics' argument.

Calipari teaches and runs "action" not plays. His action is designed to create mismatches that will allow players to beat their man for either a open jumper or a drive to the goal.
The success of that approach is predicated upon having superior talent.
Occasionally UK will run a few very simple down screens or even a weave. That double option handoff at the top of the key (AKA double horns set) is garbage and any team can easily prepare for it.
When was the last time you saw our guys cut hard from the wing or work off of multiple screens for a backdoor layup?
When was the last time Calipari ran a actual play on a out of bounds throw in?
Calipari/UK runs a VERY bland, unimaginative offense. Nothing very hard to defend against.
but it would be nice to get Grady & Ty more open shots with a few screens

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
Maybe the players need to listen to coach and actually runnn and gooo. We have a coach that wants to play fast, at times we are way too timid. Reminds me of Tubbyball only we’re not trying to play that way as a “strategy”. The players do need to be more fearless out there and go at their defender. They are more than capable and usually more talented

You do know that college and NBA teams run sets that contain several options to score instead of individual plays but I guess all of you armchair coaches understand that...

Cal is a GD moron
He’s smart enough to win 800 games, which puts him among the winningest coaches of all time. Could a moron do that? You are the moron, not Cal. You’re probably a poor UL fan, butthurt over losing your coach. If by chance you are a UK fan, you’re a sorry ass one, and we don’t need asshole fans like you.

Been saving this for ever. They just didn’t expect the information to come out until later in the season or after. I’ll never believe anything different. This is how Calipari rolls. His own personal NBA mafia family persona is very important to him.

I do think underneath it he might have tried to get him to play but knew it was a long shot. His “covid” excuse seemed to be opening the door for a potential subtle blame job in the Sharpes direction but nah, Cal pretty much knows he’s not going to play. When the info came out that he’s eligible for the NBA draft that’s all the proof you needed. They’ve been lying. It is what it is.
I dont think it's that they didn't expect it to come out until later. I think it was let put early specifically to get folks used to the idea. Either way, reasoning aside, we're on the same page. The media release was done for a targeted reason/timing.

Reactions: Gromcat
You do know that college and NBA teams run sets that contain several options to score instead of individual plays but I guess all of you armchair coaches understand that...
I do, and it's why I find myself unable to enjoy the offense. I don't watch the NBA because this stuff makes it unwatchable. In Cals defense, he's preparing guys for the next level. I understand all that. But it is not enjoyable to watch. The Cats are the Cats so I persevere. It's awful to watch though.

Reactions: Gromcat
Yup exactly. There's a reason so many of us say this guy couldn't coach a team to a National Championship without a generational player like AD!
Absolutely right - there was a metaphysical barrier keeping him away from the championship when he was at those other final fours - he literally could not have beaten those other teams or time and space would've begun rending at the seams. Only when a player is called "generational" by enough pundits does the space/time portal know to open.

We literally run ZERO offense. It is dribble, dribble, try to beat your man. Throw up something at the end of the shot clock.
He means sets not plays. And dribble dribble beat your man is actuall what want to do and are best at. Its the set offense where we really stuggle to get good looks and like you say end up forcing something last second.
Out sets (not just us but any other teams IMO) really struggle now days as defenses pressure the ball and overplan passing lanes to where the dont work well with set motion. You end up with a lot of risk useless passes that are nothing but potential turnover opportunities and very little reward of freeing up open shots.

As I mentioned before, watch our set patterns and see how many times we receive passess in any threat to score. Most all the time we're catching it moving away from the basket and with our backs to the basket. And we're fighting like hell just to catch the pass without turnign it over!

We and most other teams are much more affective against todays athletic and tough man to man defense by spreading the floor and starting the offense off the dibble breaking down your man. Or just using a ball screen in two man games but you still have to have space to do that.

The motion sets Cal has always runs do nothing but where us down running useless flashes and cuts and slow down pace IMO. When we scored 100 plus on UT we did it by Wheeler and others attacking off the dribble and kicking out of natural feel and flow. Once the first guys starts it it flows into the rest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT