ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Said Sharpe Doesn't Know the Plays ... What Plays?

Maybe the kid does not know the plays or maybe there is something else going on, who really knows. What I do know is when these kids get drafted, within a couple weeks they are playing in some NBA instructional league for their new team. If they can learn those plays that fast, why not ours?

We are the #7 team in America in offensive efficiency. Come on guys. We are supposed to be the most knowledgeable fans in the country and you can't even recognize our offensive sets.

Sharpe's handlers are not going to let him play for fear of injury or being exposed as not being as good as he is supposed to be. You can believe those handlers saw what happened with Boston, who was also supposed to be a super star who flopped all the way out of the first round. Sharpe is these guys meal ticket, so they are not going to let that happen him.

Last edited:
Sharpe has the greatest setup of all time.

**** 10,000 girls, collect a couple million in NIL, 6 month luxury basketball camp at UK, don’t have to play a minute from the end of your junior year of high school, and you’re a top 5 pick?

I’d take that deal if I were Sharpe.

I wouldn’t take that deal if I were Calipari though, 0 minutes from the guy and the entire fanbase is going to ****ing hate you over you providing him a basketball camp just to claim his draft pick for your ego.
Jared Vanderbilt tried to do it this way. Somehow he got drafted.

There’s no way he would have ran the right stuff on the last play in regulation. That was a well-oiled machine out there!
I trust our out of bounds plays every time Keion/Oscar steps out to the sideline. No one draws up an out of bounds play better than Cal.

Reactions: AzubuikeandFitch
If you think the efficiency is from the half court offense….,I’m not sure what to tell you.
We had 27 fast break points against Tennessee. I guess we never had any half court sets.. even if you shoot early in the clock a lot of time it's by design.

The guy has won more NCAA tournament games than any other coach during his time at Kentucky. He has also went to twice as many finals fours as anyone. Amazing for a guy that doesn't run any plays.

Reactions: Cal-4-Three
Kentucky is 8th in the NCAA in points per game this year (4th among power 5).

This board is full of morons, trolls, and people that will hate Cal no matter what because of his politics.

This is absurd. Takes very little understanding of the fan base to get it and you don’t have it. Nobody, ever, cared that Calipari is a democrat. Never mattered for a single second to a single fan that I’ve ever heard of. Everyone knew Calipari was a democrat and it’s never been a secret. This is a nonsensical excuse to place blame on ulterior motives instead of what it is. We aren’t winning at a level satisfactory to UK standards. You have a motive and it’s to protect the image of Calipari because you like him. Lots of people do, I do, some of his “haters do. But we like winning more, and you should try it.

Final four droughts, no championships in 10 years, losing the all time wins lead, losing to rivals, losing record to top 25 teams, horrid home schedule need I keep going ? How about the worst season record in UK history?

Some of you guys are absolutely either FOS or so ate up in a coach you’re missing everything right in front of your face. If Donald Trump was the coach and had been producing the way Cal has the past 6 years most fans would want him out too. Politics has rotted so many brains many of you can’t think straight.

Kneeling MAGNIFIED the issues more, but if he was sitting on two titles, reached the final four over the last 5 years, and a 9 win season never happened, hardly anyone would care.

Be a UK fan first.

Last edited:
We had 27 fast break points against Tennessee. I guess we never had any half court sets.. even if you shoot early in the clock a lot of time it's by design.

The guy has won more NCAA tournament games than any other coach during his time at Kentucky. He has also went to twice as many finals fours as anyone. Amazing for a guy that doesn't run any plays.

That decade is over and it’s really only due to his first 5 seasons. If he stays 5 more at the rate we’re going we won’t even finish the next decade top 10, which I think would be the worst finish to a decade in UK history.

It’s about trends, not 2010. Come on yall, we all like him but let’s be honest with each other.

Same as the other thread. You have no idea what plays are called, what's ran, what a player screws up. You just see we didn't score on a possession and scream, "Cal can't coach" because you're only here to complain.

At the end of regulation they obviously ran the same iso for Wheeler he'd scored on multiples times that game. When Miss St. cut him off and he had to back out with 6 or 7 seconds left than you can say he should have called a time out to regroup for a last play.

I never said Cal can't coach. I love Cal.

BUT it is ridiculous how many shot clock violations we have had recently (no TyTy hurts) and how poor we have executed in key situations. Maybe it is the players messing up ... if it is, then he needs to play Sharpe, since it can't be any worst.

Reactions: Gromcat
I never said Cal can't coach. I love Cal.

BUT it is ridiculous how many shot clock violations we have had recently (no TyTy hurts) and how poor we have executed in key situations. Maybe it is the players messing up ... if it is, then he needs to play Sharpe, since it can't be any worst.

Yea man I mean, I want Cal to get it going he’s perfect for this job. But he’s not getting it going in my opinion to the tune we need. This stall ball, shot clock violation sht is crap. And to do it over and over and over just doesn’t make sense. I would love to know what’s going through his mind in those times. I’ve never seen a coach have that much trouble getting shots off.

You can like a Calipari and admit it’s ridiculous people come on.

Sharpe's handlers are not going to let him play for fear of injury or being expoaed as not being as good as he is supposed to be. You can believe those handlers saw what happened with Boston, who was also supposed to be a super star who flopped all the way out of the first round. Sharpe is these guys meal ticket, so they are not going to let that happen him.
I feel this way also.Im not in favor of adding players mid season but this one hasn't been handled right from the start.I dont think Sharpe will play a second this season or even be on the team for next season.He is being tucked away and getting ready for draft day.I really hope I'm wrong,I'd love to be wrong about this.
Cal could calm this shit down but he makes excuse after excuse.He is the number 1 ranked player in his class..he is considered a lottery pick...hes getting a free scholarship and making huge amounts of cash from NIL deals and thus far he cant be expected to play 3 or 4 minutes....
Its total bullshit and unacceptable...Play him or come out and say your redshirting him.End the speculation and assuming and Cal can do this..but he wont.

Reactions: TheOtherGreatOne

Yeah, an 80% shooting day is the norm 😅

If you can watch our half court offense and think it’s anything short of a cluster****, again…I don’t know what to tell you.

They run guards from the bottom of the block up to the wings into a motion...not that you noticed bc you were just watching the ball

They run guards from the bottom of the block up to the wings into a motion...not that you noticed bc you were just watching the ball
Nope, I won’t go into my coaching resume (nobody cares and it’s a message board), I watch off the ball more than ball. Unless we are doing the weave out top, then I just shut my eyes so I don’t have to watch.

That decade is over and it’s really only due to his first 5 seasons. If he stays 5 more at the rate we’re going we won’t even finish the next decade top 10, which I think would be the worst finish to a decade in UK history.

It’s about trends, not 2010. Come on yall, we all like him but let’s be honest with each other.
Before the Covid year, we had ended the season in the top ten in five out of six years. Didn't we go to the elite 8, the year before the shut down? We were an overtime away from the final four in our last NCAA tournament and if the referees call one foul on Auburn in the last 10 minutes we go. It's not the doom and gloom that people pretend. We were on a good role before Covid shut down the 2020 tournament and was poised for a good run in that one. Coach K and Wright have won two while Cal is here and nobody else more than one. Wright has also not made it past the opening weekend outside of those two title years.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Before the Covid year, we had ended the season in the top ten in five out of six years. Didn't we go to the elite 8, the year before the shut down? We were an overtime away from the final four in our last NCAA tournament and if the referees call one foul on Auburn in the last 10 minutes we go. It's not the doom and gloom that people pretend. We were on a good role before Covid shut down the 2020 tournament and was poised for a good run in that one. Coach K and Wright have won two while Cal is here and nobody else more than one. Wright has also not made it past the opening weekend outside of those two title years.

I agree with you. '16,'17, '19, '20 were all good teams. '16 was a guy short, Skal just wasn't what we thought. '17 and '19 were so close to a FF, I just don't see the logic there, lost games we won in '11 and '14. '20 we will never know....but that was a tourney built team.

Yeah, there have been some tough blows, Evansville and Duke game ('18-'19) are top of mind....last year in general was abysmal...we needed a turn around quickly and it seems we have it this year.

Cal needs a FF though. I think he is only doing this a few more years and for all he's done for BBN I am hopeful he pulls off one more Natti.

Been saving this for ever. They just didn’t expect the information to come out until later in the season or after. I’ll never believe anything different. This is how Calipari rolls. His own personal NBA mafia family persona is very important to him.

I do think underneath it he might have tried to get him to play but knew it was a long shot. His “covid” excuse seemed to be opening the door for a potential subtle blame job in the Sharpes direction but nah, Cal pretty much knows he’s not going to play. When the info came out that he’s eligible for the NBA draft that’s all the proof you needed. They’ve been lying. It is what it is.
Stupid is too mild a word for this post.

Calipari teaches and runs "action" not plays. His action is designed to create mismatches that will allow players to beat their man for either a open jumper or a drive to the goal.
The success of that approach is predicated upon having superior talent.
Occasionally UK will run a few very simple down screens or even a weave. That double option handoff at the top of the key (AKA double horns set) is garbage and any team can easily prepare for it.
When was the last time you saw our guys cut hard from the wing or work off of multiple screens for a backdoor layup?
When was the last time Calipari ran a actual play on a out of bounds throw in?
Calipari/UK runs a VERY bland, unimaginative offense. Nothing very hard to defend against.
Definitely need some Outabounds place that’s for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT