ADVERTISEMENT

Cal post game rants

I realize you people don’t like facts but those are the numbers. And should anyone be surprised that the couple games he didn’t kill us we won? He’s a good kid and will be a very good player but he’s not good right now. But, we really have no other option. Baker is a little better on D but even worse on offense right now.
Baker is not better on D and we lose a ton on rebounding with Herro out and him in. Damn, if you can’t see Herro is what’s going to be the X factor in all big games from here on out then you’re truly ignorant of the game.

Baker is not better on D and we lose a ton on rebounding with Herro out and him in. Damn, if you can’t see Herro is what’s going to be the X factor in all big games from here on out then you’re truly ignorant of the game.

You’re ignorant period if you think you’re smarter than math.

Herro needs to play big minutes. But my 10 year old daughter is a better passer than him. His shot will come. His passing needs to improve dramatically.

Cal comes across as pretty disorganized, so it's not a shock that he doesn't have the team "prepared" like some other coaches do. But yeah, all the screaming is a bad look and hard to imagine it actually helps the players during the game.

Other coaches can coach up 1AD talent w/o screaming at them all game, so it's less a youth issue and more a Cal issue. Imo.

You’re ignorant period if you think you’re smarter than math.
Crazy. There’s a reason Herro’s numbers shine most in big games like UNC and UL. According to you, UK is better off without him. It’s crazy. But at the game, and listening to fans in hallways and in the lower section I was at, the prevailing sentiment is pretty much as I am posting.

Cal comes across as pretty disorganized, so it's not a shock that he doesn't have the team "prepared" like some other coaches do. But yeah, all the screaming is a bad look and hard to imagine it actually helps the players during the game.

Other coaches can coach up 1AD talent w/o screaming at them all game, so it's less a youth issue and more a Cal issue. Imo.
Lol. Tell many how many organized coaches have 4 final fours in the past 9 years. What a lame post. :joy:

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Not nearly as "ugly" as his in-game rants, yelling, and "coaching" every offensive set--players aren't playing lose at times due to all this crap...

Oh well... he'll say that he's having to coach young players, but gawd it's not pretty to watch on t.v....

Oh well, Go CATS!

You completely miss the point. He does that now so that he doesnt have to do it in March. Teams just dont get "that" way on their own. They dont just magically become self sufficient. They get that way because they're taught and coached how to get there. I guess some folks will just never get that concept.

"He has a very short window to prepare". To me, that sums up everything that is wrong with how Cal coaches our teams.

He always puts way too much on them because he only wants them here for a year. It overwhelms them and you can see it every year. There's no way a team of 5 stars should look lost as much as our players do.

He will never get consistency, urgency, relaxed and fun in one season trying to cram 3-4 years of college basketball in one. He always says these players aren't machines. So why does he try to make them that way.

He wants them to overcome what it takes normal players 3-4 years to become in 1 so they will get drafted. That's the way it will always be as long as Cal don't back off and let them play with minimal direction.

You see the results of his coaching in March. How do some of you fail to see the end? His teams are self sufficient and much more relaxed come March. Due know what being relaxed means??? It means being confident. How do you become confident? Do something so many times that you EXACTLY what you're supposed to do. The military uses the exact same tactics as alot coaches do. It's about the end game guys, geez.

Reactions: michaeluk26
You completely miss the point. He does that now so that he doesnt have to do it in March. Teams just dont get "that" way on their own. They dont just magically become self sufficient. They get that way because they're taught and coached how to get there. I guess some folks will just never get that concept.
I’ve seen Pitino do much worse when at UK. Cal does this yet all the ex players have nothing but love for him once they exit UK.

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK

It's his way... I get it... And I wouldn't want anyone other than Cal as my head coach.... but, its unsightly, ugly, (and possibly counter-productive at times).

Geez, how does someone his age yell so much and be able to talk afterwards? (Am afraid he's gonna stroke-out one day...)

Go CATS!

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
Eventually Cal may get one or two sets solidified but that'll be about it.
Last year he finally kept running Knox off screens as the main offense with Shai penetrating as the rest of it.

Cal wants to out-talent the opponent. He has absolutely no intention of out-coaching them even though in most cases he could.

I agree with this. Cal always lets the other team dictate the pace. I bet he wants the kids to learn how to play in a half court game but you could of ran Vandy out of the gym is they would of just run it up and down the floor
Instead, he was content waking it up and playing right into their zone. I get doing it a few times to get some sets against the zone but it gets frustrating watching it game after game

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Watch the film? Watch Herro the games before and then watch the Vandy game. Herro literally took less than ONE shot per ten minutes against Vandy. 3 shots total in over 30 minutes played. I could play in the game with no limbs and still get three shots off.
Wat hinges Herro last night ,it was obvious he wasn't looking for his shot.He passed the ball almost immediately when it touched his hands.Reminds me a lot of when Rashad Carruth refused to shoot the ball because of Tubby.Sure looked that way to me.

It's his way... I get it... And I wouldn't want anyone other than Cal as my head coach.... but, its unsightly, ugly, (and possibly counter-productive at times).

Geez, how does someone his age yell so much and be able to talk afterwards? (Am afraid he's gonna stroke-out one day...)

Go CATS!

I get it, it is really ugly sometimes. Especially when you can hear him above the entire crowd screaming. But I know hes doing it for a reason. He tried to let this team run the show themselves and we got thumped by 34. Young teams need this type of coaching, IMO. He will ease off when February starts

Wat hinges Herro last night ,it was obvious he wasn't looking for his shot.He passed the ball almost immediately when it touched his hands.Reminds me a lot of when Rashad Carruth refused to shoot the ball because of Tubby.Sure looked that way to me.
That should be.....Watching Herro

No ones been more vocal about Cal not being a UK guy than me. Last night cemented it for me. He is not here for the University and it’s showing especially in his last three years.

1/10. Not good enough.

You're a UK guy? Funny beyond words.

They aren’t machines. If they were machines, he could just sit back and watch them do their thing. That is why they need constant coaching and sometimes that means yelling. Why would he let a group this inexperienced do their thing like you say. That would really be a mess. The people that question Coach Cal and his methods on this board is beyond belief to me.
Cal is a stubborn coach and his methods, in my opinion, are flawed. He cares way to much about teaching them how to get drafted rather than winning at all costs.

We disagree on opinion and that's fine. Like I said before, Cal needs to back off and let them play with minimal coaching (screaming and shouting).

Finally. During halftime we had hoped that Cal would take off the cuffs. Put we all knew he wouldn’t. Quickly was the showcased player last night. But God forbid anyone sees it by simply watching the game closely. Herro even showed a good attitude about it all.

I agree that Cal screaming every play is really a stupid thing to do. The players are confused and definitely distracted.

Calipari let them play in the Bahamas and they really excelled. He’s really becoming a frustrating figure.

For whatever reason, he decided to attack Vandys zone by having four players standing around the perimeter. Anyone that knows basketball understands that doesn’t work. Just basic fundamental stuff is starting to elude him.

Oh well. John is still our best option for now, but I don’t know what the near future holds for this program.
Agree with all of this. Why we consistently didn't flash a player into the middle of the zone is beyond me. Finally, he put Hagans in that position which makes sense because they gave him wide open 18 footers all night long. Hurt our spacing, although he played well overall.

I agree that Cal screaming every play is really a stupid thing to do. The players are confused and definitely distracted.

Calipari let them play in the Bahamas and they really excelled. He’s really becoming a frustrating figure.

For whatever reason, he decided to attack Vandys zone by having four players standing around the perimeter. Anyone that knows basketball understands that doesn’t work. Just basic fundamental stuff is starting to elude him.

Oh well. John is still our best option for now, but I don’t know what the near future holds for this program.
You think a Hof coach taught them to throw it around the perimeter? There young and struggle with the smallest of details. That's why he coaches so hard. We had Reid and PJ with dudes on there back all night and cal instructing the guards to feed it in the post. Cal knows how to coach obviously you never have are you wouldn't make such uneducated basketball posts. These kids are young if Cal stops pushing they wouldn't win games. We did outscore Vandy by like 21 points after being down 12. That's pretty impressive when you only score 50+ points in a game.

Ehh 2.1/1.7 ast/tov ratio is hardly indicative of the worst passer in the NCAA. Cal made a tongue in cheek joke and people are running with it. He isn’t a John Stockton by any means. You act like he is the worst player on our team. We have much bigger fish to fry than Tyler. The uninspired post play for one.

We really don’t. Lack of production from the 2 is this teams biggest weakness. He’s the least efficient player on offense (PPS) among the starter and worst in (PAPS) among starters. That means he’s the worst offensive and defensive player in our starting lineup. He’s also a bad passer.

I prefer using BPM if I am going to judge a players ability as a whole. Much more comprehensive stat. Your are cherry picking. His bpm is 3rd among starters when combining offense and defense. He is also third in each individual category. We have bigger problems on both sides of the court.

Not nearly as "ugly" as his in-game rants, yelling, and "coaching" every offensive set--players aren't playing lose at times due to all this crap...

Oh well... he'll say that he's having to coach young players, but gawd it's not pretty to watch on t.v....

Oh well, Go CATS!
The SOB yelled at them. I have never heard of a coach yelling at his players before. Faaar Cal

K has just a young team as us

He is not a mad man on the bench

Might be part of the reason more of the elite guys (NBA ready right now) are going there instead. They probably have grown up being better than everyone else and didn't get screamed at all the time. They are still only 18 year olds and not all of them respond well to being screamed at.

Sure UK will. But he won’t be as successful as Cal. I will go a step farther- the ten years following Cal, UK won’t win a NCAA title and probably won’t make more than 2 final fours. Hope to hell I am wrong. And the early tournament exits will lead to meltdowns on here of biblical proportions.
You have absolutely no basis for that wild guess, none. You dont know who the coach would be but yet, he wont succeed. I hope your arguments in court are fully developed. That one sure wasn't.

Lol. It’s going to be hilarious to see the meltdowns on this board during games after Cal leaves. People’s heads are going to explode when they see the drop in recruiting and winning. And it’s coming, and probably sooner than you think.
The recruiting and winning is already dropping...and what makes you think he'll definitely win another NC if he stays here 10 more years?

You have absolutely no basis for that wild guess, none. You dont know who the coach would be but yet, he wont succeed. I hope your arguments in court are fully developed. That one sure wasn't.
Lol. It’s called an opinion. Just like most of the takes in this thread. History says this is the best run UK has had since the 1950s except for 92-98. That’s a fact.

Winning dropped for 8 years after K won the title in 1992. What made anyone think K would win another one? He proceeded to win 3 more.
Playing by different rules in recruiting today...Cals only shot going forward is to hope K hangs it up after this year .

Lol. It’s called an opinion. Just like most of the takes in this thread. History says this is the best run UK has had since the 1950s except for 92-98. That’s a fact.
75-85 was probably as good of a run as well. But I agree with most of what you're saying. However I don't believe the next UK coach will fail or not be able to be as successful as Cal.

Will another coach be able to match Cal's first 6 years probably not. Could another coach come here and make 4 final 4's and win a title in 10 years. I think that's not out of the question. I don't want Cal to go anywhere but I know he won't change at the same time. He's a control freak for better or worse. He surrounds himself with assistants and staff that won't challenge him or be innovative. He's never had a protege have any real success because his success isn't based on strategy or methods you can teach. Cal is all bravado and panache and win that's clicking it's clicking big time but when it's not he doesn't have a set system he can just fall back on.

Last edited:
Tell me, how many coaches has UK had that coached for a decade without a title. I'll wait.

I have been outspoken on Cal's antics on the sideline where he is constantly screaming and yelling on almost every offensive and defensive possession. That doesn't help anyone. I've also said that coaching style will never work at the NBA level and any NBA GM hiring Cal would be nuts. If you go back and watch the exhibition games in the Bahamas, you will see UK's players playing much looser and reacting rather than thinking about each play. (Cal was watching in the stands while the Assistant Coaches ran the team) I would say just about every player on this team except for Hagans has regressed since August and no one is close to being consistent except for Ashton. I wish someone from the press would ask Cal if he thinks yelling and screaming is helping his team get better? I agree with others on this thread that you prepare for teams in practice and do your screaming there. Unfortunately, after watching the game last night, prepping to attack Vandy's zone and the constant switching on every pick and roll isn't happening either.
No NBA team would ever hire Cal. Cal is a marketing machine he puts his own name out there. It's smart, you're always a hotter commodity if you seem to be wanted elsewhere. Besides the only real juice he had was when WWW and Leon Rose were running the NBA and they don't have the juice to get him a NBA job anymore and that's why you haven't heard it mentioned since 2014. Tony Bennett and Jay Wright are the 2 college guys right now that NBA gm's like. Especially Bennett. GM's think he could have a Stevens like impact for a team.

As far as the press asking questions. The only one who does ask tough real questions lost a chance to do a big behind the scenes article because Cal and Eric Lindsey got mad at him for asking non softball questions. So if anyone were to ask Cal that question I'm sure he wouldn't answer it and he'd probably pull strings behind the curtain to make the media members life not pleasant.

Reactions: UKChamps2012
Some of you are looking for any negativity you can find. Cal is jumping up and down screaming just like he has from day one at Umass to last game. He literally has always coached like this.

And you people who think all Cal cares about is getting players to the NBA, how do you square that with his constant sideline animation trying desperately to win the game? You can't. He cares more about winning than the NBA. It's quite obvious, no matter what he says.

Exactly, but he won’t call a timeout for last plays of games cause they need to figure it out??? I have never understood his approach to this. And no, I don’t hate Cal, don’t want him fired and don’t think I know more. Just don’t understand how you yell instructions for 39 minutes then miraculously think in the most pressured filled moment is when they need to be left alone.
Off the top of my head, we've won 5 NCAA tournament games at or near the buzzer without calling a timeout. Brandon Knight vs Princeton and Ohio state. Aaron Harrison vs Louisville, Michigan, although I think they called a timeout, and Wisconsin. Fox scoring with under a minute left against Wichita state when we were down one. Sometimes it works not calling one, sometimes it doesn't.

This thread is the biggest pile of crap I've ever read.

Many of you have lost your mind. It truly is unbelievable. Some people spending way too much time on here and getting brain rot I guess.

Bunch of jokers arm chair QBing like they know better than him. Needs to hire a coach and be a PR guy, Red Lighting Herro, not here for university, 1-10 not good enough, can't coach, yells too much...blah blah blah.

Cal hasn't changed one bit at UK. In fact he is the same coach that he was at UMass. He has always been loud during games for 30 years. Same guy that tried to fight John Cheney!
I literally just posted the same thing scout Cal coaching the same as he always has.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT