ADVERTISEMENT

Cal post game rants

Not nearly as "ugly" as his in-game rants, yelling, and "coaching" every offensive set--players aren't playing lose at times due to all this crap...

Oh well... he'll say that he's having to coach young players, but gawd it's not pretty to watch on t.v....

Oh well, Go CATS!
Give me a break. They needed yelled at. If I was coaching that offensive mess, you couldn’t have heard the refs blowing the whistle over my screaming.

Give me a break. They needed yelled at. If I was coaching that offensive mess, you couldn’t have heard the refs blowing the whistle over my screaming.

Yeah, I hear ya', but it's just not a good look... that's what practice is for, and if you can't get what you want game-time, then maybe need to play those that will do what he wants...

HOWEVER, I don't make 8mil/year and am under tremendous pressure to win EVERY game... I get it...

Go CATS!

Cal coaches these players like a Pee Wee league coach does with a bunch of 8 year olds. Is there any other coach in the country that has to coach non stop for nearly every single play of most games? It's got to be hard to play well when you are constantly being yelled at and told what to do non stop. Watching the highlights of other games and the other coaches spend most of their time sitting or standing and watching the game with an occasional call out to the team.

Cal coaches these players like a Pee Wee league coach does with a bunch of 8 year olds. Is there any other coach in the country that has to coach non stop for nearly every single play of most games? It's got to be hard to play well when you are constantly being yelled at and told what to do non stop. Watching the highlights of other games and the other coaches spend most of their time sitting or standing and watching the game with an occasional call out to the team.

You are not wrong, he does have an odd style and I am not crazy about the yelling. But his records speak for themselves. I just wish he would evolve a bit and see he does not have to do that as much. Let them play

You are not wrong, he does have an odd style and I am not crazy about the yelling. But his records speak for themselves. I just wish he would evolve a bit and see he does not have to do that as much. Let them play
The coaches that get the best players win more games than those schools that don’t. You can say look what he did at UMASs and Memphis, Marcus Camby and Derek Rose will win some games. Anthony Davis Karl Towns, Demarcus Cousins and John Wall will win games. It will always be hard to win a football game against Alabama because of 5 star talent angainst 3 star talent, 5 Star will win 9 out of 10 times.

Reactions: anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
Idk but a better winning percentage than Rupp through first ten years says it works. Maybe just not for you.

We start three freshmen, a sophomore with motor issues, and a first year grad transfer playing in a new system.

There was even a play tonight where Quickley was just dribbling the ball behind the arc looking to pass, Cal screamed at him to drive like a madman, and he did just that. They need the direction.

I wish Cal would calm down on the sidelines and let the dudes play. I think all the drive it, yelling, crap has these guys thinking too much. If you're open, shoot it. He jumped all over Herro at the end of the half against NC, now the dude seems reluctant to just go up and shoot. He wanted Herro to play for the last shot. I bet if he would've hit it, he would've said a word.

I wish Cal would calm down on the sidelines and let the dudes play. I think all the drive it, yelling, crap has these guys thinking too much. If you're open, shoot it. He jumped all over Herro at the end of the half against NC, now the dude seems reluctant to just go up and shoot. He wanted Herro to play for the last shot. I bet if he would've hit it, he would've said a word.
Um, Herro had a career high the very next game.

I want to know what Cal said during the miked time out. I had made a frig run but my wife told me it sounded like we said he did know what Vandy was doing; he’d have to figure it out. I don’t believe she heard it right. Anyone know what I’m talking about? Love to hear it myself. Little woman got upset when I told her I didn’t believe her.

He needs to red light Herro's high risk passes and PJ ever shooting a 3. If it wasn't for the awful passing, this game would not have been close at all.
The passes were awful but you had team daring us to shoot and Cal yelling to get it inside.

Cal needs to hire a Rick Byrd or someone to coach them and let him recruit and do PR, those young men looked like they had never played organized basketball before. I fully understand that he has a very short window to prepare most of these guys and he can't prepare for every little thing, but that screaming messes them up(case in point when they forgot to come back and get the ball from the man inbounding, thats one of the first fundamentals in grade school and these are 5 star players). He needs to calm down a little and teach!!!

Not nearly as "ugly" as his in-game rants, yelling, and "coaching" every offensive set--players aren't playing lose at times due to all this crap...

Oh well... he'll say that he's having to coach young players, but gawd it's not pretty to watch on t.v....

Oh well, Go CATS!
Has to be confusing to the players as well. Trying to listen to him yelling and screaming while trying to play ball. He needs to do his coaching in the huddle and at practice. He was so far out on the floor at one point that a Vandy player almost ran him over.

Cal needs to hire a Rick Byrd or someone to coach them and let him recruit and do PR, those young men looked like they had never played organized basketball before. I fully understand that he has a very short window to prepare most of these guys and he can't prepare for every little thing, but that screaming messes them up(case in point when they forgot to come back and get the ball from the man inbounding, thats one of the first fundamentals in grade school and these are 5 star players). He needs to calm down a little and teach!!!
And this is why I think we are always in-consistant.

He needs to red light Herro's high risk passes and PJ ever shooting a 3. If it wasn't for the awful passing, this game would not have been close at all.
Cal encourages PJ shooting 3's because it will boost his draft stock if he can hit them. No other reason he wouldn't be near the basket dominating but instead he's turned into a huge liability this year because he's playing for the name on the back of the jersey and not the name on the front.

Has to be confusing to the players as well. Trying to listen to him yelling and screaming while trying to play ball. He needs to do his coaching in the huddle and at practice. He was so far out on the floor at one point that a Vandy player almost ran him over.

I agree that Cal screaming every play is really a stupid thing to do. The players are confused and definitely distracted.

Calipari let them play in the Bahamas and they really excelled. He’s really becoming a frustrating figure.

For whatever reason, he decided to attack Vandys zone by having four players standing around the perimeter. Anyone that knows basketball understands that doesn’t work. Just basic fundamental stuff is starting to elude him.

Oh well. John is still our best option for now, but I don’t know what the near future holds for this program.

We start three freshmen, a sophomore with motor issues, and a first year grad transfer playing in a new system.

There was even a play tonight where Quickley was just dribbling the ball behind the arc looking to pass, Cal screamed at him to drive like a madman, and he did just that. They need the direction.
Doesn't matter how much Cal screams at him Quickley can't get past anyone to drive the ball. Just not his strength.
Halfway through the game had to mute the TV because all I could hear was Cal yelling. Then unmuted it and they said now we'll go in the huddle and hear what Cal said to the team. Muted it again real quick.

Cal encourages PJ shooting 3's because it will boost his draft stock if he can hit them. No other reason he wouldn't be near the basket dominating but instead he's turned into a huge liability this year because he's playing for the name on the back of the jersey and not the name on the front.
Sitting pretty close to the floor and watching the game live this season has opened my eyes. For the first time ever, I can’t defend Cal against the NBA talk. He literally red lighted Herro from shooting the ball last night so that others could score and enhance their draft stock. Vandy sucks but it was a team Cal could do this against and still win. Crazy. Never ever did I think I’d say these things.

Sitting pretty close to the floor and watching the game live this season has opened my eyes. For the first time ever, I can’t defend Cal against the NBA talk. He literally red lighted Herro from shooting the ball last night so that others could score and enhance their draft stock. Vandy sucks but it was a team Cal could do this against and still win. Crazy. Never ever did I think I’d say these things.
I first saw that in how he handled the twins. Plain to see Cal gives great leash to the 5 stars he is trying to get drafted.

"He has a very short window to prepare". To me, that sums up everything that is wrong with how Cal coaches our teams.

He always puts way too much on them because he only wants them here for a year. It overwhelms them and you can see it every year. There's no way a team of 5 stars should look lost as much as our players do.

He will never get consistency, urgency, relaxed and fun in one season trying to cram 3-4 years of college basketball in one. He always says these players aren't machines. So why does he try to make them that way.

He wants them to overcome what it takes normal players 3-4 years to become in 1 so they will get drafted. That's the way it will always be as long as Cal don't back off and let them play with minimal direction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT