ADVERTISEMENT

Cal post game rants

I agree that Cal screaming every play is really a stupid thing to do. The players are confused and definitely distracted.

Calipari let them play in the Bahamas and they really excelled. He’s really becoming a frustrating figure.

For whatever reason, he decided to attack Vandys zone by having four players standing around the perimeter. Anyone that knows basketball understands that doesn’t work. Just basic fundamental stuff is starting to elude him.

Oh well. John is still our best option for now, but I don’t know what the near future holds for this program.

Well stated Kev . I was a combo of flabbergasted and irate at our performance last night in the first half. 99% of us root like hell for Cal , we LOVE swaggy Cal , it means we are successful and everyone else in America can suck it . But you cant lose to lesser teams and look lost in your wins against crappy teams and have swag . Do our players have any confidence at this moment ? nope . They all look lost , outside of Hagans I guess . And IQ's threes are going in .

I have been outspoken on Cal's antics on the sideline where he is constantly screaming and yelling on almost every offensive and defensive possession. That doesn't help anyone. I've also said that coaching style will never work at the NBA level and any NBA GM hiring Cal would be nuts. If you go back and watch the exhibition games in the Bahamas, you will see UK's players playing much looser and reacting rather than thinking about each play. (Cal was watching in the stands while the Assistant Coaches ran the team) I would say just about every player on this team except for Hagans has regressed since August and no one is close to being consistent except for Ashton. I wish someone from the press would ask Cal if he thinks yelling and screaming is helping his team get better? I agree with others on this thread that you prepare for teams in practice and do your screaming there. Unfortunately, after watching the game last night, prepping to attack Vandy's zone and the constant switching on every pick and roll isn't happening either.

Last edited:
I have been outspoken on Cal's antics on the sideline where he is constantly screaming and yelling on almost every offensive and defensive possession. That doesn't help anyone. I've also said that coaching style will never work at the NBA level and any NBA GM hiring Cal would be nuts. If you go back and watch the exhibition games in the Bahamas, you will see UK's players playing much looser and reacting rather than thinking about each play. (Cal was watching in the stands while the Assistant Coaches ran the team) I would say just about every player on this team except for Hagans has regressed since August and no one is close to being consistent except for Ashton. I wish someone from the press would ask Cal ask he thinks yelling and screaming is helping his team get better? I agree with others on this thread that you prepare for teams in practice and do your screaming there. Unfortunately, after watching the game last night, prepping to attack Vandy's zone and the constant switching on every pick and roll isn't happening either.
This is spot on.

Cal needs to start either Richards or EJ so we can win the tip. We lose every single tip! Don’t want bad starts? Then get the ball first! PJ isn’t tall enough and Reid couldn’t outjump my 94 yr old grandmother. Personally I’d bench PJ until he stops playing lazy. He is almost always the last one up the court in transition.

Sitting pretty close to the floor and watching the game live this season has opened my eyes. For the first time ever, I can’t defend Cal against the NBA talk. He literally red lighted Herro from shooting the ball last night so that others could score and enhance their draft stock. Vandy sucks but it was a team Cal could do this against and still win. Crazy. Never ever did I think I’d say these things.

No ones been more vocal about Cal not being a UK guy than me. Last night cemented it for me. He is not here for the University and it’s showing especially in his last three years.

1/10. Not good enough.

We start three freshmen, a sophomore with motor issues, and a first year grad transfer playing in a new system.

There was even a play tonight where Quickley was just dribbling the ball behind the arc looking to pass, Cal screamed at him to drive like a madman, and he did just that. They need the direction.

What is practice for? IMO the constant screaming prevents good play. Always being yelled at produces uncertainty.

Eventually Cal may get one or two sets solidified but that'll be about it.
Last year he finally kept running Knox off screens as the main offense with Shai penetrating as the rest of it.

Cal wants to out-talent the opponent. He has absolutely no intention of out-coaching them even though in most cases he could.

Pacing up and down screaming produces self-diminishing returns. There are personality types who respond well to a kick in the butt and others need encouragement. Hopefully there are none of the latter on the team because it's not going to be forthcoming.

I look at a guy like Baker who can really shoot but it's as plain as the nose on your face that he's reluctant to look for his shot. He knows he'll get at most 2 chances to make one, usually just one. Now it's on him to deal with that pressure and respond but he's had very few reps. Remember that commentary about him that Cal said when you get in, Shoot. The implied message is you better make it.

The zone offense last night was about as bad as one could imagine. If you have to stand and scream what to do during game play you haven't done your job.

All the Herro fan boi’s crack me up. Cal did NOT red light Herro. Vandy’s zone was constantly shaded towards Herro. They were not going to let him get a look. They left Hagans basically unguarded, played KJ and Quick straight up and doubled the post. Herro did not force what was not there. Vandy was going to let Hagans, KJ, or IQ beat them. They did. It just wasn’t pretty.

Cal coaches these players like a Pee Wee league coach does with a bunch of 8 year olds. Is there any other coach in the country that has to coach non stop for nearly every single play of most games? It's got to be hard to play well when you are constantly being yelled at and told what to do non stop. Watching the highlights of other games and the other coaches spend most of their time sitting or standing and watching the game with an occasional call out to the team.

Noticing lately that players coming out of games just blow by him while he's ranting at them.

Reactions: ORCAT
Sitting pretty close to the floor and watching the game live this season has opened my eyes. For the first time ever, I can’t defend Cal against the NBA talk. He literally red lighted Herro from shooting the ball last night so that others could score and enhance their draft stock. Vandy sucks but it was a team Cal could do this against and still win. Crazy. Never ever did I think I’d say these things.
I’m calling total BS on this one. Calipari is not Gillespie, and I’m guessing he is just fine with Herro taking good shots, There’s not some conspiracy to keep him from shooting.

I would say that you can count on us seeing a lot of zone defense for the remainder of the season. We did not handle it well. However, I kind of like it. By the end of the season, we will destroy zones, and our guys will have confidence shooting 3's.

Reactions: Joerupp

Be more specific. Did you actually hear Calipari tell Herro to take less shots so that others could shoot more? Did Calipari tell Herro that he shoots too much when he should be passing more?

Reactions: Joerupp
I would say that you can count on us seeing a lot of zone defense for the remainder of the season. We did not handle it well. However, I kind of like it. By the end of the season, we will destroy zones, and our guys will have confidence shooting 3's.

UK isn't destroying any zones until you teach the players...
1. How to properly align the players against the zone by using a 1-3-1.
2. How to beat a zone by getting the ball into the player in the middle at the free throw line.
3. How to properly space the 1-3-1.

After watching the replay of the game this morning and the offensive sets we had against the zone, I can safely say Cal hasn't addressed any of the 3 areas noted above. The job of a coach is to get the players into position to best succeed. When you are as unorganized as UK is against the zone and trying to figure it out during the game rather than in practice, you are going let average teams hang around and possibly pull off the upset of which they shouldn't be within 15 points of the final score.

I’m not sure if Cal “red lighted” Herro or not but if he did it was the right thing to do. He’s taken the most shots on the team and is the least efficient scorer. I still have faith in Tyler and think he’s going to be a great player here. In two years he should be taking the most shots on the team. This year, he’s playing because we really don’t have another option.

He threw him under the bus on tv for shooting a wide open shot. I know Cal likes to play Tubby ball, but that was a wide open shot.
It was an ill advised shot that lead to a UNC runout dunk to end the half. You really thought that shot was a smart basketball play? Really?

Herro, the guy that has taken more shots than anyone on the team this season is being red lighted by the coach? [laughing]

Some of you are desperate for attention and really have no clue what you saw last night. Not a single player for Kentucky took double digit shots last night yet here some fans are claiming that only one player was red lighted.

This should not have to be pointed out but since it's obvious some are confused... Vandy played a zone that's purpose was to limit the number of possessions and shots. That and running the shot clock down on offense actually kept UK's shot totals down, not some whack conspiracy theory.

All the Herro fan boi’s crack me up. Cal did NOT red light Herro. Vandy’s zone was constantly shaded towards Herro. They were not going to let him get a look. They left Hagans basically unguarded, played KJ and Quick straight up and doubled the post. Herro did not force what was not there. Vandy was going to let Hagans, KJ, or IQ beat them. They did. It just wasn’t pretty.

Yep. Sometimes you have to take what an opponent gives you and make them pay for their gameplan. They wanted to shut down our inside game and Herro. So, we beat them with KJ from midrange, Hagans getting to the rim and IQ. making jumpers

It's was an ugly game, but Drew had to know a low possession game with lots of made 3s were Vandy's only chance in hell. If they played us straight up and tried to guard us M2M we would've won by 25.

Reactions: CB3UK and ala_kat2
Who was better?????

Every player on the team and every player on every other team. He is the worst passer UK has ever had and that’s saying something because James Young was pretty horrific.
Ehh 2.1/1.7 ast/tov ratio is hardly indicative of the worst passer in the NCAA. Cal made a tongue in cheek joke and people are running with it. He isn’t a John Stockton by any means. You act like he is the worst player on our team. We have much bigger fish to fry than Tyler. The uninspired post play for one.

I’m calling total BS on this one. Calipari is not Gillespie, and I’m guessing he is just fine with Herro taking good shots, There’s not some conspiracy to keep him from shooting.
We will lose if our scoring is deleted from Herro and attempted toward Quickley and Hagans. Not a fan boi. I’m wanting to win. Go and watch the game again. And if you don’t think Herro had opportunities to score or get into the lane, well I can’t help you.

Ehh we look bad on offense because Cal rarely teaches any offense the first half of the year. Teaching offense is the “tweak”. He spends the majority of his time on defense and doesn’t start to focus on offense until he is satisfied with the defensive play. His tweak is finally tailoring the offense towards the teams strengths.

Herro, the guy that has taken more shots than anyone on the team this season is being red lighted by the coach? [laughing]

Some of you are desperate for attention and really have no clue what you saw last night. Not a single player for Kentucky took double digit shots last night yet here some fans are claiming that only one player was red lighted.

This should not have to be pointed out but since it's obvious some are confused... Vandy played a zone that's purpose was to limit the number of possessions and shots. That and running the shot clock down on offense actually kept UK's shot totals down, not some whack conspiracy theory.
Yes he is. Trying to keep others on the team happy and Herro out of the spotlight.

"He has a very short window to prepare". To me, that sums up everything that is wrong with how Cal coaches our teams.

He always puts way too much on them because he only wants them here for a year. It overwhelms them and you can see it every year. There's no way a team of 5 stars should look lost as much as our players do.

He will never get consistency, urgency, relaxed and fun in one season trying to cram 3-4 years of college basketball in one. He always says these players aren't machines. So why does he try to make them that way.

He wants them to overcome what it takes normal players 3-4 years to become in 1 so they will get drafted. That's the way it will always be as long as Cal don't back off and let them play with minimal direction.
They aren’t machines. If they were machines, he could just sit back and watch them do their thing. That is why they need constant coaching and sometimes that means yelling. Why would he let a group this inexperienced do their thing like you say. That would really be a mess. The people that question Coach Cal and his methods on this board is beyond belief to me.

I have been outspoken on Cal's antics on the sideline where he is constantly screaming and yelling on almost every offensive and defensive possession. That doesn't help anyone. I've also said that coaching style will never work at the NBA level and any NBA GM hiring Cal would be nuts. If you go back and watch the exhibition games in the Bahamas, you will see UK's players playing much looser and reacting rather than thinking about each play. (Cal was watching in the stands while the Assistant Coaches ran the team) I would say just about every player on this team except for Hagans has regressed since August and no one is close to being consistent except for Ashton. I wish someone from the press would ask Cal if he thinks yelling and screaming is helping his team get better? I agree with others on this thread that you prepare for teams in practice and do your screaming there. Unfortunately, after watching the game last night, prepping to attack Vandy's zone and the constant switching on every pick and roll isn't happening either.
Exactly, but he won’t call a timeout for last plays of games cause they need to figure it out??? I have never understood his approach to this. And no, I don’t hate Cal, don’t want him fired and don’t think I know more. Just don’t understand how you yell instructions for 39 minutes then miraculously think in the most pressured filled moment is when they need to be left alone.

Yes he is. Trying to keep others on the team happy and Herro out of the spotlight.

Sir, he is a starter who played more minutes than anyone yesterday. Don't think you think if he was trying to hold him back he'd be on the bench instead of in the game?

Hagans and Quickley took the most shots yesterday. Hagans by driving for lay-ups and Quickley because he was hot from the outside and still neither took as few as ten shots yesterday. Again, Vandy slowed the game down and that limited the number of shots, not the coaching staff. That would be beyond crazy for a coach to tell his most played player to just go out there and stand around for 36 minutes.

Sir, he is a starter who played more minutes than anyone yesterday. Don't think you think if he was trying to hold him back he'd be on the bench instead of in the game?

Hagans and Quickley took the most shots yesterday. Hagans by driving for lay-ups and Quickley because he was hot from the outside and still neither took as few as ten shots yesterday. Again, Vandy slowed the game down and that limited the number of shots, not the coaching staff. That would be beyond crazy for a coach to tell his most played player to just go out there and stand around for 36 minutes.
Exactly, next game I'm willing to bet Herros attempts goes back to 10+, then what will be said.

Reactions: JohnBlue_

Watch the film? Watch Herro the games before and then watch the Vandy game. Herro literally took less than ONE shot per ten minutes against Vandy. 3 shots total in over 30 minutes played. I could play in the game with no limbs and still get three shots off.

Lol. It’s going to be hilarious to see the meltdowns on this board during games after Cal leaves. People’s heads are going to explode when they see the drop in recruiting and winning. And it’s coming, and probably sooner than you think.

Reactions: michaeluk26
Lol. It’s going to be hilarious to see the meltdowns on this board during games after Cal leaves. People’s heads are going to explode when they see the drop in recruiting and winning. And it’s coming, and probably sooner than you think.
Exactly.

Surely you don’t think UK can not get a quality coach once Cal decides to retire?

Reactions: ubtrapper
Surely you don’t think UK can not get a quality coach once Cal decides to retire?
Sure UK will. But he won’t be as successful as Cal. I will go a step farther- the ten years following Cal, UK won’t win a NCAA title and probably won’t make more than 2 final fours. Hope to hell I am wrong. And the early tournament exits will lead to meltdowns on here of biblical proportions.

Reactions: michaeluk26
Winning percentage doesn’t equal winning titles. Hello Virginia, I’m looking at you.

Reactions: RipThru
This thread is the biggest pile of crap I've ever read.

Many of you have lost your mind. It truly is unbelievable. Some people spending way too much time on here and getting brain rot I guess.

Bunch of jokers arm chair QBing like they know better than him. Needs to hire a coach and be a PR guy, Red Lighting Herro, not here for university, 1-10 not good enough, can't coach, yells too much...blah blah blah.

Cal hasn't changed one bit at UK. In fact he is the same coach that he was at UMass. He has always been loud during games for 30 years. Same guy that tried to fight John Cheney!

Ehh 2.1/1.7 ast/tov ratio is hardly indicative of the worst passer in the NCAA. Cal made a tongue in cheek joke and people are running with it. He isn’t a John Stockton by any means. You act like he is the worst player on our team. We have much bigger fish to fry than Tyler. The uninspired post play for one.

We really don’t. Lack of production from the 2 is this teams biggest weakness. He’s the least efficient player on offense (PPS) among the starter and worst in (PAPS) among starters. That means he’s the worst offensive and defensive player in our starting lineup. He’s also a bad passer.

We really don’t. Lack of production from the 2 is this teams biggest weakness. He’s the least efficient player on offense (PPS) among the starter and worst in (PAPS) among starters. That means he’s the worst offensive and defensive player in our starting lineup. He’s also a bad passer.
Yet Herro has shined in our biggest wins this year and we would have lost the aTm game without him.

And please see who was spotting up Quickly for his shots last night.

If he’s the least or weakest player on the court, then why would any great coach have him in the game the most minutes?

Yet Herro has shined in our biggest wins this year and we would have lost the aTm game without him.

And please see who was spotting up Quickly for his shots last night.

If he’s the least or weakest player on the court, then why would any great coach have him in the game the most minutes?

I realize you people don’t like facts but those are the numbers. And should anyone be surprised that the couple games he didn’t kill us we won? He’s a good kid and will be a very good player but he’s not good right now. But, we really have no other option. Baker is a little better on D but even worse on offense right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT