ADVERTISEMENT

Cal gets dig in at NCAA

The Kentucky fans who contacted Higgins and his business directly and made personal threats crossed a line they shouldn’t have. They were stupid and hopefully will refrain from doing that in the future.

Having said that, the media narrative that UK fans made “death threats” to Higgins appears to have been an overreach and without merit. Of the supposed worst examples which were identified by law enforcement, exactly NONE of them rose to the level of a death threat.

Yet noone in the media has corrected their earlier headlines, or even acknowledged that they were sensationalized without any actual proof. Hopefully they will do better in the future as well.

Exactly my point. And I won't hold my breath waiting on a correction or better journalism in the future, just like I won't hold my breath at UK ever getting a fairly called game from Higgins.

As I said, I've never seen one man, bar players or coaches, have a bigger impact on the outcome of UK ncaa games than Higgins. No excuse to do what those UK fans, and probably some troll opponents' fans did in threatening him but I understand their frustration!

Reactions: howercat
Exactly my point. And I won't hold my breath waiting on a correction or better journalism in the future, just like I won't hold my breath at UK ever getting a fairly called game from Higgins.

As I said, I've never seen one man, bar players or coaches, have a bigger impact on the outcome of UK ncaa games than Higgins. No excuse to do what those UK fans, and probably some troll opponents' fans did in threatening him but I understand their frustration!
I wouldn’t even call them threats. More like UK fans trolling him and it was well deserved. He officiated 3 tourney losses since Cal has been at UK and all of them had corrupt or inept officiating. That’s not even debatable. There were flat out missed calls that weren’t even subjective. The missed shot clock violation resulted in a rule change. Too bad it was a factor in stopping a 40-0 season.

I wouldn’t even call them threats. More like UK fans trolling him and it was well deserved. He officiated 3 tourney losses since Cal has been at UK and all of them had corrupt or inept officiating. That’s not even debatable. There were flat out missed calls that weren’t even subjective. The missed shot clock violation resulted in a rule change. Too bad it was a factor in stopping a 40-0 season.

No one can look at that clip of the UCONN guy throwing himself on the ground with NO contact from any UK player with Higgins RIGHT THERE and tell me he wasn't on the take or completely and utterly corrupt.

Last edited:
I'm going to agree with the general sentiment of this post, take it one step further by simplifying it for my own convenience, though I have no clue how the man feels.

Without exception, the number 1 priority of the UK head coach must be to win the national championship. I would like to firmly believe this is Cal's, though I am not always certain.

Agreed, though I'm not positive it is written anywhere that this is his purpose/prerogative/task/goal/desire or main priority for that matter.

If we are to judge Cal by what he tells us (the most transparent man in college basketball), winning titles is
NOT the main priority, nor should it be. And again, fans eat it up with mass discussion about NBA, draft picks, draft projections,..........maybe even the fan's perspective has changed. I wonder how

Reactions: KopiKat
Agreed, though I'm not positive it is written anywhere that this is his purpose/prerogative/task/goal/desire or main priority for that matter.

If we are to judge Cal by what he tells us (the most transparent man in college basketball), winning titles is
NOT the main priority, nor should it be. And again, fans eat it up with mass discussion about NBA, draft picks, draft projections,..........maybe even the fan's perspective has changed. I wonder how
Yes, well . . . judging by your username we are likely near the same age group, more inclined to have a less modern viewpoint on the matter. Appreciate the duality of your paraphrasing and cynicism, btw. Nicely done.

Not real sure how to openly approach the discussion either. I cannot condone a process that includes guilting players into delaying a professional career, no. Not expecting that. I do expect, however, that the number 1 goal be to win all possible championships, while believing the current players first mantra would not have to be encroached.

I suppose so. I mean we were ranked 5th overall.

But what team(s) on the 1 seed deserved to be moved down? You could make a case for Gonzaga I guess but they were never moving a 1 loss Zags team off that line.

Based on resume, I don't really think we had a case here. His thinking that UNC and UK were the best two teams and should be on opposite sides of the bracket.......I dunno. I mean UNC was 3rd overall. Both Villanova and Kansas were higher then they were which again based on resume made total sense (nearly everyone thought Nova and KU deserved the top two spots).

I suppose so. I mean we were ranked 5th overall.

But what team(s) on the 1 seed deserved to be moved down? You could make a case for Gonzaga I guess but they were never moving a 1 loss Zags team off that line.

Based on resume, I don't really think we had a case here. His thinking that UNC and UK were the best two teams and should be on opposite sides of the bracket.......I dunno. I mean UNC was 3rd overall. Both Villanova and Kansas were higher then they were which again based on resume made total sense (nearly everyone thought Nova and KU deserved the top two spots).
Again, seriously doubt Cal is implying UK should have been a one seed. He is implying UNC should not have been. Arizona should have instead. They had four losses going into the tourney compared to UNC's 7. Arizona won the PAC 12 tourney. UNC didn't make it to the final game. They lost to Duke twice. What one seed looses 7 games, fails to reach a conf tourney champ., and gets owned by their main rival during the season? So basically Cal is saying we both should have been 2s. Arizona should have been the 1 in Memphis. UNC the 2. We should have been the 2 on the opposite side of the page, meaning, if we would have met UNC . . . last game. Cal is not saying we should have been a 1 seed.

Again, seriously doubt Cal is implying UK should have been a one seed. He is implying UNC should not have been. Arizona should have instead. They had four losses going into the tourney compared to UNC's 7. Arizona won the PAC 12 tourney. UNC didn't make it to the final game. They lost to Duke twice. What one seed looses 7 games, fails to reach a conf tourney champ., and gets owned by their main rival during the season? So basically Cal is saying we both should have been 2s. Arizona should have been the 1 in Memphis. UNC the 2. We should have been the 2 on the opposite side of the page, meaning, if we would have met UNC . . . last game. Cal is not saying we should have been a 1 seed.

If that's what Cal meant in that we both should have been two seeds, I'm not sure I follow his logic on necessarily why we should be on opposite sides of the bracket.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me if that's what he meant. It's way more reasonable to think that he meant we both should have been 1s than the other way around.

And it was very close to that actually happening.

They were 3rd overall and went South.
Had we overtook Gonzaga for that 4th position overall......we would have been West and on the opposite side of the bracket.

Yes, well . . . judging by your username we are likely near the same age group, more inclined to have a less modern viewpoint on the matter. Appreciate the duality of your paraphrasing and cynicism, btw. Nicely done.

Not real sure how to openly approach the discussion either. I cannot condone a process that includes guilting players into delaying a professional career, no. Not expecting that. I do expect, however, that the number 1 goal be to win all possible championships, while believing the current players first mantra would not have to be encroached.

Which is of course how Cal sells this to the masses, and maybe this is what he's actually trying to accomplish. One can hope. We cannot dismiss that the NBA has become more of a concern for not only Cal, but our fans since his arrival. No doubt a result of the growing number of players UK has in the league. It seems there is as much pride amongst the fan-base over NBA draft picks as there is national titles, although only one out of the two categories is recognized by a banner that hangs in the rafters of Rupp Arena.

Yes its true, my earliest and fondest memories were imitating Kyle Macy in my driveway, odd because Cal himself has said the same thing. But before we drift too far from the topic, my belief is that Cal is one of two things: A) he tells himself its about the kids but really wants to win titles.....or B) he tells himself its about the titles but really just wants to help the kids. I believe it started with A, and has now become B. Which is noble and certainly a first class ticket into heaven, but not what I want in terms of following and rooting for a team. Call me selfish and without empathy if you must, but I don't trust Cal's motives. I trust Cal, I believe he is as good a person as you will find, but i simply don't trust his motives.

I know this board can chew a poster up, so fire away.

They were 3rd overall and went South..
And my point to you is that Coach Calipari believes that was an unsupportable, invalid decision for reasons that include as previously stated. It appears that your reason for why this does not make sense is because they were not "chosen" as the lowest 1 seed. Interesting.

And my point to you is that Coach Calipari believes that was an unsupportable, invalid decision for reasons that include as previously stated. It appears that your reason for why this does not make sense is because they were not "chosen" as the lowest 1 seed. Interesting.

I took it as him talking about HIS team, not UNC.

FWIW, UNC won a title. Maybe in hindsight that 1 seed was warranted.

They had 11 top 50 wins. Same as Villanova and more than any other team in the field except for Duke.

Which is of course how Cal sells this to the masses, and maybe this is what he's actually trying to accomplish. One can hope. We cannot dismiss that the NBA has become more of a concern for not only Cal, but our fans since his arrival. No doubt a result of the growing number of players UK has in the league. It seems there is as much pride amongst the fan-base over NBA draft picks as there is national titles, although only one out of the two categories is recognized by a banner that hangs in the rafters of Rupp Arena.

Yes its true, my earliest and fondest memories were imitating Kyle Macy in my driveway, odd because Cal himself has said the same thing. But before we drift too far from the topic, my belief is that Cal is one of two things: A) he tells himself its about the kids but really wants to win titles.....or B) he tells himself its about the titles but really just wants to help the kids. I believe it started with A, and has now become B. Which is noble and certainly a first class ticket into heaven, but not what I want in terms of following and rooting for a team. Call me selfish and without empathy if you must, but I don't trust Cal's motives. I trust Cal, I believe he is as good a person as you will find, but i simply don't trust his motives.

I'm not so sure its so black and white.

At first I was pissed when Cal said 'best day in the history of UK basketball' on draft day and a few of the other statements he made about it being more important than titles. Then I realized its more Cal speak; one begets the other in his eyes (best players=best chance to win a title).

So he speaks to the players and sets up the best program for them to get to their dreams in the NBA and the by product should be more titles. Remove one person from the past few years, that would be a reality and we wouldn't even be debating this.

Weird how that works.

Your A to B transition is not an unreasonable observation. Not from my chair. Having finally won a title may have had something to do with it, if said transition has any merit. Not sure about the ticket to heaven part, but I would agree in the virtue of not interfering in the best interest of a life decision. Some programs do that (interfere). UNC continues to write the book on how to guilt players into delaying professional careers, and as has been well-proven, known to systematically deny any quality education. A modern, soft, slavery. Criminal, immoral. Numerous first class tickets straight to hell by your standards, if you don't mind my so borrowing.

Nice thoughts on your part, btw. Yet a minor red flag to some perhaps, in stating your keen awareness for Rafter's frenzy feeding network . . . inside of just 10 posts. [winking]

FWIW, UNC won a title. Maybe in hindsight that 1 seed was warranted. .

you did get to actually see how they won, yes? Mercy, lord. UNC can win a championship in so many groovy ways. It's a Higgins, or it's putting a hands out of bounds and getting to keep the ball at a crucial moment, or it's a star Michigan player who doesn't know he doesn't have any time outs left or it's a Georgetown Hoya that throws the ball in-bounds straight to a unc player for the dumbest turnover in final four history.. They only times they don't win is when it's a straight up even game or sans some freak show tragedy.

you did get to actually see how they won, yes? Mercy, lord. UNC can win a championship in so many groovy ways. It's a Higgins, or it's putting a hands out of bounds and getting to keep the ball at a crucial moment, or it's a star Michigan player who doesn't know he doesn't have any time outs left or it's a Georgetown Hoya that throws the ball in-bounds straight to a unc player for the dumbest turnover in final four history.. They only times they don't win is when it's a straight up even game or sans some freak show tragedy.

Your right. Those 11 top 50 resume wins meant absolutely nothing. It's totally clear cut they should have been a 2 and not a 1 lol

or its decades of cheating to keep kids eligible and cheating them out of an education while making millions off them and looking down their noses at everyone else while claiming the moral high ground....

Like that run on sentence? I did. lol

Your A to B transition is not an unreasonable observation. Not from my chair. Having finally won a title may have had something to do with it, if said transition has any merit. Not sure about the ticket to heaven part, but I would agree in the virtue of not interfering in the best interest of a life decision. Some programs do that (interfere). UNC continues to write the book on how to guilt players into delaying professional careers, and as has been well-proven, known to systematically deny any quality education. A modern, soft, slavery. Criminal, immoral. Numerous first class tickets straight to hell by your standards, if you don't mind my so borrowing.

Nice thoughts on your part, btw. Yet a minor red flag to some perhaps, in stating your keen awareness for Rafter's frenzy feeding network . . . inside of just 10 posts. [winking]

I think you make an excellent point. How did winning the title change Cal? Did it satisfy him? Make him hungry for more?

If you'll recall, he has commented on winning the title before in regards to impacting the future. His exact words were "that's out of the way". I think he went on to say something about now being able to focus on the kids. Again, a noble cause, but not his "job" if I can speak plainly.

Many claim he is the most transparent coach in all of sports, they tote and brag about it, yet call it "Cal speak" whenever he's being "transparent". So which is it? How do we know the difference? The answer is, we probably don't.

I think Cal came to UK with the mission to "get a title". I think he wanted it badly. He talked of catching UCLA and got the fans involved. But my opinion is that he is no longer driven by winning a title. I think there's something to the moniker of putting the most players in the NBA. And I think this is what fuels Cal, not titles. Is he going to try and win them? Yes. But not at the expense of his players. I firmly believe this, and I think he's demonstrated it. This is what fans most likely refuse to believe, but I think it's true. Cal will not risk the future of his players, not for anything....even a title. And I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Damn, some fans on this board are such whiners. I honestly don't know of another fanbase that blames <fill in the blank> for anything / everything. It's possible there isn't a giant conspiracy to screw over UK...but carry on.
I been saying this for 8 years... Got old... They actually believe the NCAA and REFS are cheating them every year... I guess when Kentucky won the championship the refs let them have that one...

Duke fan and an ex-Cat fan. Awesome. How ‘bout y’all get a room and consummate your love for all things anti-UK.

Reactions: Cat78Scot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT