ADVERTISEMENT

Cal gets dig in at NCAA

Blueathletics

Senior
Dec 21, 2007
"We should've been playing UNC in title game"

Didn't know he was coming on or I would've had the whole rundown....next week

Don't lose at home to UCLA and KU and we would have been a 1 seed

Agreed; and yet every year we see multiple posts that early season games are meaningless. Had we not lost to Kansas we would (SHOULD) have been the #1 seed in the Midwest.

In fairness, the NCAA hates Cal so much we are going to get screwed every year. Book it.

You guys are on point about this! Other than StoneyCat who must be living up to his name tonight. lol

Fair and balanced playing field and no-one brings up early season losses at all cause we would have 2 more titles.

And spare me the specifics about coaching decisions or bad players. We were in every game we lost when Higgins was involved, IN SPITE of obviously biased and, yes, criminally bad calls throughout those specific games.

You guys are on point about this! Other than StoneyCat who must be living up to his name tonight. lol

Fair and balanced playing field and no-one brings up early season losses at all cause we would have 2 more titles.

And spare me the specifics about coaching decisions or bad players. We were in every game we lost when Higgins was involved, IN SPITE of obviously biased and, yes, criminally bad calls throughout those specific games.
Agree. Higgins should be in prison.

Agree. Higgins should be in prison.

Funny how this crap has played out these days. The distraction was the UK fans were psycho, threatening this poor man and his business over a game.

When you look at the video evidence the reality is there for all to see but the narrative shifted thanks to years of propaganda from the mainstream media -- firstly with the east coast writers with UK and Rupp, now with ESPN and Vitale spouting garbage about unrealistic UK fans.

So the narrative is, and always will be, that UK cheats and their fans are crazy when the reality is that its the rest of the blue bloods and college basketball that has lost its minds and will do anything to win!!

And we get blamed when we stand up to blatant cheating from refs and the system....

Funny how this crap has played out these days. The distraction was the UK fans were psycho, threatening this poor man and his business over a game.

When you look at the video evidence the reality is there for all to see but the narrative shifted thanks to years of propaganda from the mainstream media -- firstly with the east coast writers with UK and Rupp, now with ESPN and Vitale spouting garbage about unrealistic UK fans.

So the narrative is, and always will be, that UK cheats and their fans are crazy when the reality is that its the rest of the blue bloods and college basketball that has lost its minds and will do anything to win!!

And we get blamed when we stand up to blatant cheating from refs and the system....
Spot on.
Rack him.

So it's the NCAA's fault that Cal refused to go zone? NCAA's fault that we had three straight shot-clock violations? Their fault that one and dones were all Cal recruited?

Cal's a HOF coach, but his underachieving is every bit his own fault as it is the NCAA's.

So it's the NCAA's fault that Cal refused to go zone? NCAA's fault that we had three straight shot-clock violations? Their fault that one and dones were all Cal recruited?

Cal's a HOF coach, but his underachieving is every bit his own fault as it is the NCAA's.

Damn, some fans on this board are such whiners. I honestly don't know of another fanbase that blames <fill in the blank> for anything / everything. It's possible there isn't a giant conspiracy to screw over UK...but carry on.

Reactions: ExKentuckyFan

The biggest call in the 2015 Final 4 game was not UK's 3 shot clock violations but Wisconsin's obvious one that was not called with the official standing directly in front of the Badger player (Hayes IIRC). It turned the game around and shifted momentum.

Cal does get tight during big games so close calls will definitely hurt his teams. When games are slowed down, EVERY possession is so critical. But it is difficult to criticize him too much, he has BY FAR the best record in the nation versus top 4 seeds in the NCAAT from 2010-17. 12-4...which is just phenomenal.

Nope, its Higgins fault that three of those games we lost were that close that any of those things mattered to begin with. I've watched the game since 78, I've NEVER seen such corruption from one referee, and that's saying a lot!

Damn, some fans on this board are such whiners. I honestly don't know of another fanbase that blames <fill in the blank> for anything / everything. It's possible there isn't a giant conspiracy to screw over UK...but carry on.

As I said above. In almost 40 years of watching UK basketball I've never felt the way I do about a ref. I don't give a damn what anyone says, I saw his cheating ass put us out of the tournament 3 times in the past few years. There's plenty of video proof . This isn't the usual run of the mill sour grapes.

Let me ask you, are you saying it is completely impossible for someone to be on the take or biased to the point of keeping one team and/or coach from winning a title?

The reason for that is because you do not know of another board so well represented by a large group, naturally to result in a large variety of ideas and opinions. It will carry on. Without your ambiguous, worthless authorization. Free, hilarious entertainment to persons like me knowing you are continually making the effort to keep your fingers on the pulse of all such resources, and that you do so to such a great, tireless degree that you are able to offer qualified distinctions. Impressive work really. lmao.

Cal is right. But maybe not necessarily for reasons everybody assumes. He likely would opine that UNC should never have been a no 1 seed with 7 losses. That Arizona should have been a 1seed instead. Resulting in UK and UNC as both twos, on opposite sides of the bracket. This was my opinion on selection Sunday. I seriously doubt Cal felt anything but bad, bad ju-ju, any task of reaching the FF (achieving success) out of Memphis. That should have been UNC's two.

The biggest call in the 2015 Final 4 game was not UK's 3 shot clock violations but Wisconsin's obvious one that was not called with the official standing directly in front of the Badger player (Hayes IIRC). It turned the game around and shifted momentum.

Cal does get tight during big games so close calls will definitely hurt his teams. When games are slowed down, EVERY possession is so critical. But it is difficult to criticize him too much, he has BY FAR the best record in the nation versus top 4 seeds in the NCAAT from 2010-17. 12-4...which is just phenomenal.

How many of those games you are thinking of here involved Higgins? You see him reffing the game, you don't think you might tighten up and wonder what the hell you'll have to do to recover the starting 10-0 score he basically hands our opposition?

Cal needs to question his own methods; in-game strategy, defensive adjustments, recruiting philosophies, penchant for putting players into the pros, etc instead of complaining about seeding and the NCAA. And fans just eat that shit up

Cal needs to question his own methods; in-game strategy, defensive adjustments, recruiting philosophies, penchant for putting players into the pros, etc instead of complaining about seeding and the NCAA. And fans just eat that shit up
I'm going to agree with the general sentiment of this post, take it one step further by simplifying it for my own convenience, though I have no clue how the man feels.

Without exception, the number 1 priority of the UK head coach must be to win the national championship. I would like to firmly believe this is Cal's, though I am not always certain.

Kaminsky was fouling all night. His signature move was to throw a hook around his defender, and pull them on top of him while underhanding the ball at the basket. Every one was an offensive foul. He committed 18 fouls in the game, only counting those, and the fouls he was whistled with. Of course, every one was called a foul on one of our bigs, and they were all sitting with foul trouble. Sam Dekker was pushing off all night. Both hands, arms fully extended, on every cut. Their entire defense was holding on cuts. Ive seen it three times. Nearly 100 uncalled fouls. The entire team threw their hands up at an official out of frustration at least once. But the uncalled foul of the night came on the first of the 3 shot clock violations. Aaron had the ball, iso, on the left wing, running the shot clock down. Trey lyles comes off a double back screen, and is breaking for the basket. Aaron shakes his man with a crossover, and throws a perfect ally-oop.....But trey wasn't there. Josh gasser jumped onto his back when he realized they were beat. After carrying him, like a backpack, from the three point line to the basket, trey spun him off, and pushed him away out of frustration. His hand slipped off gasser's shoulder, and touched his face. "The Slap". The first replay they showed started as trey was piggybacking him across the court. The building erupted. They didn't tech lyles up, but Wisconsin got the ball. What should have been an intentional foul, (two shots and the ball), wound up going the other direction, for a turnover only caused because of the foul. The next Wisconsin possession was the shot clock not violation. That's a potential 7 point swing, all from bad officiating, in literally 32 game seconds, with just over 2 minutes to go. Take away the two points from gasser jumping back inbounds in the first, and we're potentially up five, with the shot clock off, instead of down four. That was the best college basketball team to ever take the court. They deserved their perfect season. They earned it. It was stolen from them. Stolen from us. Never forget this one thing; Vegas saved over $100,000,000 from us getting beat. I'd buy a ref to save that.......

Do you think Cal is whining about the UNC matchup? He's said this many times...Or the #8 vs WSU?

I don’t care what anyone says. Go back and look at our region and bracket in 2011-2012 tournament. Not only hard games throughout, but throw in 2 of the biggest rivalry games ever including 1 team that owned a win over us (38-2) in the EE. Unbelievable really, especially when UNC was limping as a 1 without their point guard. Easy win for Kansas. That team earned it all the way.
These recent matchups in the 32 round against WSU are insane. We get them though.

The Kentucky fans who contacted Higgins and his business directly and made personal threats crossed a line they shouldn’t have. They were stupid and hopefully will refrain from doing that in the future.

Having said that, the media narrative that UK fans made “death threats” to Higgins appears to have been an overreach and without merit. Of the supposed worst examples which were identified by law enforcement, exactly NONE of them rose to the level of a death threat.

Yet noone in the media has corrected their earlier headlines, or even acknowledged that they were sensationalized without any actual proof. Hopefully they will do better in the future as well.

Cal recruits great kids, teaches them to be successful and generous, and wins so much that miserable nobodies can’t resist trolling UK fans. We get it.

The NCAA is complete joke.
The NCAA is an association of member schools, run by the member schools themselves, including UK. The NCAA does not have subpoena power, and cannot act against a member school unless a committee representing the member schools decides that the specific language of its rules has been violated. As it should be. All organizations have internal politics that can get crazy at times, and that is obviously true for the NCAA. But the NCAA is not a "joke". On the contrary, the NCAA is a representative, democratic effort by the member schools to police themselves. If you don't like that, please tell us what other entity should police the member schools? The government? The Justice Department? No way that happens without lots of our tax money getting spent on implementation of a much nuttier system.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT