ADVERTISEMENT

Cal blowing smoke

Boyd94

Junior
Feb 16, 2022
As usual. Same old mantra.

Worst of all, Tennessee was very beatable last night, yet we see Cal bastardize yet another game plan and see Ugo, Mitchell and Bradshaw go for a collective 4 points. If it weren't for Dilly we lose by 30 or more.

We won earlier in the year when we played (Bennie Ball) small ball and ran, mainly because most of Cal's bigs were out...you had to know he would revert right back to pounding square pegs into round holes as soon as he got the chance.

jwz4wrv.png

I get that Cal would leave a lot of money on the table if resigned this year. But, he already has life changing money. Another 30 million isn't going to change one thing about his lifestyle. He has to know how frustrated and upset the fanbase is with him right now and he hasn't been able to do anything to fix it to this point. When you're ducking post game shows, that's telling. He knows the fans are going to be pissed and he has no answers so he avoids difficult spots where he can. Why would you want to keep coming back and put yourself through this? For the people who say it's because of the money, see my previous statement above. If he's staying only for the money and not to win titles, that's a good way to be absolutely vilified once your career ends here. It will come to an ugly end.

There's no way he's staying ONLY for the money. I really believe that he somehow thinks he has a higher purpose of getting kids to the NBA and ending "generational poverty", which quite frankly he's not the only coach that can do that for them. He has demonstrated that winning at all costs is NOT his priority here. He continues to play guys to the detriment of the team and winning. What happened to earning PT? That's just out the window with him.

The fanbases' expectation for the salary he is being given is to compete for titles and win them as often as possible. Team should be #1 with all other considerations secondary. But that's not the case with him. Winning is NOT his priority anymore. It's not the fans just complaining about Cal to be mean, Cal has proven over and over that it's not his priority in recent years based on his coaching decisions. I'm ready for him to move on as well. I'd like to have some optimism for UK basketball again at some point in the near future. I don't have any with him leading things. It's time for him to go!

Last edited:
I get that Cal would leave a lot of money on the table if resigned this year. But, he already has life changing money. Another 30 million isn't going to change one thing about his lifestyle. He has to know how frustrated and upset the fanbase is with him right now and he hasn't been able to do anything to fix it to this point. When you're ducking post game shows, that's telling. He knows the fans are going to be pissed and he has no answers so he avoids difficult spots where he can. Why would you want to keep coming back and put yourself through this? For the people who say it's because of the money, see my previous statement above. If he's staying only for the money and not to win titles, that's a good way to be absolutely vilified once your career ends here. It will come to an ugly end.

There's no way he's staying ONLY for the money. I really believe that he somehow thinks he has a higher purpose of getting kids to the NBA and ending "generational poverty", which quite frankly he's not the only coach that can do that for them. He has demonstrated that winning at all costs is NOT his priority here. He continues to play guys to the detriment of the team and winning. What happened to earning PT? That's just out the window with him.

The fanbases' expectation for the salary he is being given is to complete for titles and win them as often as possible. Team should be #1 with all other considerations secondary. But that's not the case with him. Winning is NOT his priority anymore. It's not the fans just complaining about Cal to be mean, Cal has proven over and over that it's not his priority in recent years based on his coaching decisions. I'm ready for him to move on as well. I'd like to have some optimism for UK basketball again at some point in the near future. I don't have any with him leading things. It's time for him to go!

Sadly, no one just throws away that type of money. $30 mil is still $30 mil.

I don't know what the plan would be. He's not going to throw that money away, and we're probably not in a position to just eat that salary.

Do you maybe buy out his salary and with the next coach, try and do a deal where you defer part of their salary. Start someone like Hurley at $8mil and give him some sort of contract that would pay him $12mil in years 3 4 and 5? But then we're kind of making the same mistake we made with Cal, guaranteed money.

At some point UK needs to just east the salary, realizing we're going to lose this money from ticket sales and concessions anyways.

I don't know what the plan would be. He's not going to throw that money away, and we're probably not in a position to just eat that salary.

Do you maybe buy out his salary and with the next coach, try and do a deal where you defer part of their salary. Start someone like Hurley at $8mil and give him some sort of contract that would pay him $12mil in years 3 4 and 5? But then we're kind of making the same mistake we made with Cal, guaranteed money.

At some point UK needs to just east the salary, realizing we're going to lose this money from ticket sales and concessions anyways.
I get it! That's what makes it so depressing.

Hear me out: He already has a house in Nashville and 2 kids at Vandy. What if we trade him and his bloated contract, plus 2 top 15 recruits, to Vandy for Stackhouse? Then we cut Stackhouse and with the savings we go get a new coach.

Hurley isn't coming here. He's at a better job and program n the modern era.

This isn't the 1940s and 50s anymore.

Hurley isn't coming here. He's at a better job and program n the modern era.

This isn't the 1940s and 50s anymore.

There's a lot of truth to this. But I keep quiet on this topic because it upsets a lot of the fanbase here.

However.. the least we can do is force Uconn to up his salary. Offer $10m and make them keep him. And if they don't, then maybe you have a shot.

The fanbases' expectation for the salary he is being given is to complete for titles and win them as often as possible. Team should be #1 with all other considerations secondary. But that's not the case with him. Winning is NOT his priority anymore. It's not the fans just complaining about Cal to be mean, Cal has proven over and over that it's not his priority in recent years based on his coaching decisions. I'm ready for him to move on as well. I'd like to have some optimism for UK basketball again at some point in the near future. I don't have any with him leading things. It's time for him to go!
His ego usurps his desire for money. He wants to leave here a hero. I’m all for it but it seems he can’t connect with these kids anymore.

Reactions: IFerg1969
Hurley isn't coming here, but it has nothing to do with Connecticut being a "better job and program in the modern era."

He's at the best job for him given his background, and he knows it.

Reactions: law1127
To be fair, Kentucky is still a much better program than UConn. UK still has the most Final Fours, Elite Eights, Sweet 16s and tournament wins of any program since 2010. We just only have 1 championship in that span. Cal is looked at alot differently if 2014, '15, '17 or '19 go our way. The problem is the last 5 years have been mediocre

Hurley isn't coming here, but it has nothing to do with Connecticut being a "better job and program in the modern era."

Apart from that, Hurley has a minimum 10 mill buyout and makes over 5 mill a year at UConn...

No way UK will buy him out and offer another Cal like contract to anyone right now...they have on campus buildings to fund that actually correlate with education.

I have no doubt though that Hurley would leverage Brainfart for a pay raise at UConn.

Wishful thinking....too much $$$ on the table. Cal can just turn down his hearing aid, smile and count his $$$$.

Hear me out: He already has a house in Nashville and 2 kids at Vandy. What if we trade him and his bloated contract, plus 2 top 15 recruits, to Vandy for Stackhouse? Then we cut Stackhouse and with the savings we go get a new coach.

Heh its not a bad idea.

That's another way you do this. Tell Cal his time is done, let him take his recruits to another school and maybe some school will lay him $4mil for 3 years, knowing they will at least have a chance at success with a top3 class. I'd think maybe a lesser power program might bite at that.

Cal is staying until he passes Rupp as UK's winningest coach. He wants the accolade and to stick it to the fanbase.

His ego usurps his desire for money. He wants to leave here a hero. I’m all for it but it seems he can’t connect with these kids anymore.
If he gets another handful of kids drafted, I think he feels he did his job. He doesn’t seem like a guy at all concerned about winning anything of worth now.

But your point on not connecting is something I have thought of, too. He was a a master at connecting with people in the early part of his career. He doesn’t seem to have the relationships with the players anymore. It’s been bizare to see Cal morph into who he is today.

Reactions: Rockfly78
Not wasting my time...same BS as always

Reactions: catzcan

You dang well know that Hurley is the best option for UK right now. He's proven he can win a title and play the style of basketball that wins you games. He doesn't care about the NBA. I bet he would be a good hire for Kentucky. He is still my #1 pick if Cal leaves after this year or the next.

You don't know what he knows. Everyone who says, "he's not coming here" is 100% clueless. You don't know that lol.

Apart from that, Hurley has a minimum 10 mill buyout and makes over 5 mill a year at UConn...

No way UK will buy him out and offer another Cal like contract to anyone right now...they have on campus buildings to fund that actually correlate with education.

I have no doubt though that Hurley would leverage Brainfart for a pay raise at UConn.

Again, Hurley isn't coming here.

Having said that, I wouldn't place too much emphasis on any buyout other than Cal's. That's the real cost ($31.875 million after this season) that would be difficult to absorb.

Also, UK Athletics has its own budget and revenue streams that are essentially separate from the university. UK pays a portion of Cal's salary ($400,000 per year), but the vast majority of his pay comes from contracts between UK and multimedia, footwear, apparel, and equipment companies.

UK Athletics actually generates a profit and kicks money back to the university for scholarships and other programs.

Last edited:
Again, Hurley isn't coming here.

Having said that, I wouldn't place too much emphasis on any buyout other than Cal's. That's the real cost ($30 million) that would be difficult to absorb.

Also, UK Athletics has its own budget and revenue streams that are essentially separate from the university. UK pays a portion of Cal's salary ($400,000 per year), but the vast majority of his pay comes from contracts between UK and multimedia, footwear, apparel, and equipment companies.

UK Athletics actually generates a profit and kicks money back to the university for scholarships and other programs.
The Brainfart buyout currently sits at $33,375,000.00

Last edited:
He stressed “if we come together” something bad fishy going on. You don’t let “sick” players sit amongst the rest of the team. DJ sitting out, Rob sitting out, Edwards sitting out, Z sitting out. Tre hasn’t been Tre. Burks was pissed on the bench vs Arkansas.
If you're sick, why are you dressed, but can play in an "emergency". What kind of bullSugarHoneyIceTea is that? You are making 10 million dollars with SIX ASSISTANTS and can't take the time to teach the players how to defend an inbounds play!! Really? This guy is Dean Smith reincarnated.

The people who say that Calipari won't leave 30 million on the table are the same ones that say Hurley wouldn't leave UConn for double the money. Which is it?

If you're sick, why are you dressed, but can play in an "emergency". What kind of bullSugarHoneyIceTea is that? You are making 10 million dollars with SIX ASSISTANTS and can't take the time to teach the players how to defend an inbounds play!! Really? This guy is Dean Smith reincarnated.
The Klutch Effect is real.

Corrected my post. Here's the math on the buyout:

If Calipari is terminated without cause before exercising his option to become special assistant to the AD, he's entitled to 75% of his remaining salary. For 2024-25, that's $8,100,000. For the remaining four seasons of the contract, that's $8,600,000 for each year.

$8,100,000 + ($8,600,000 x 4) = $31,875,000

If for whatever reason Calipari is terminated without cause after exercising the option, he's entitled to 100% of the $950,000 salary he'd be owed per year as special assistant to the AD.

Exercising that option would significantly reduce his leverage. I'd be surprised if he did it under the current contract's terms.

Worst of all, Tennessee was very beatable last night, yet we see Cal bastardize yet another game plan and see Ugo, Mitchell and Bradshaw go for a collective 4 points. If it weren't for Dilly we lose by 30 or more.

We won earlier in the year when we played (Bennie Ball) small ball and ran, mainly because most of Cal's bigs were out...you had to know he would revert right back to pounding square pegs into round holes as soon as he got the chance.

jwz4wrv.png
I said this earlier in the year. That was my biggest concern. We were playing so well and looked so modern because cow was forced to like he has been forced into other things in the past and it works, but as soon as he gets a chance to muck it up, he does.

So you have him talking about out of bounds plays---then Dillingham admitting they know but aren't doing anything about it, but they know what to do, why keep this nonsense going? Add that Cal publicly has called out a player questioning his injury (he's correct too regarding Thiero's bull****) and return to play timeline. Throw in DJ's "high ankle" which no program at any level allows an athlete who has this injury to do anything without a boot on. Hell Bradshaw was wearing a boot when he didn't even have to but DJ had/has a high ankle and just does as he wants? Bull****. DJ is what he was/is/will be-- a very good player who lacks elite NBA athleticism and isn't a good enough shooter at this time to be anything more than an NBA role player. If he's going to change that--get in gym and make jumpers/work on game. He's been given reigns to program and then when it shifted to Reed late in Fayetteville, the ankle got bad again to the point he can't play?--guess I missed that when he streaked for a layup late in the win in last minutes of Arkansas win.

At some point, it's just over. They've tried everything and it's going the same manner. If you are telling players what to do and they either don't listen or ignore your instruction, it's time to find new coach.

The people who say that Calipari won't leave 30 million on the table are the same ones that say Hurley wouldn't leave UConn for double the money. Which is it?

UCONN will increase his salary and the main reason he wouldn't come is because he doesn't need UK. He can have as much or more success staying at UCONN.

You dang well know that Hurley is the best option for UK right now. He's proven he can win a title and play the style of basketball that wins you games. He doesn't care about the NBA. I bet he would be a good hire for Kentucky. He is still my #1 pick if Cal leaves after this year or the next.

You don't know what he knows. Everyone who says, "he's not coming here" is 100% clueless. You don't know that lol.

Hurley is flavor of the month. Outside of last year and this year (which isn't over yet), what has he done to deserve to be hired by UK??

Reactions: MakinMusic
Hurley is flavor of the month. Outside of last year and this year (which isn't over yet), what has he done to deserve to be hired by UK??
Deserve?

Who wants insane invective thrown at them every minute of the day?

Has Hurley been evil and deserves to be flogged in public?

I say that the AA, going forward, only does 5 year contracts at a time, and then evaluates things before a new 5 year contract is signed.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
So you have him talking about out of bounds plays---then Dillingham admitting they know but aren't doing anything about it, but they know what to do, why keep this nonsense going? Add that Cal publicly has called out a player questioning his injury (he's correct too regarding Thiero's bull****) and return to play timeline. Throw in DJ's "high ankle" which no program at any level allows an athlete who has this injury to do anything without a boot on. Hell Bradshaw was wearing a boot when he didn't even have to but DJ had/has a high ankle and just does as he wants? Bull****. DJ is what he was/is/will be-- a very good player who lacks elite NBA athleticism and isn't a good enough shooter at this time to be anything more than an NBA role player. If he's going to change that--get in gym and make jumpers/work on game. He's been given reigns to program and then when it shifted to Reed late in Fayetteville, the ankle got bad again to the point he can't play?--guess I missed that when he streaked for a layup late in the win in last minutes of Arkansas win.

At some point, it's just over. They've tried everything and it's going the same manner. If you are telling players what to do and they either don't listen or ignore your instruction, it's time to find new coach.
Or you call the players out by name if you know you're saying is true. If the player continues to go against the grain, just release them from their scholarship.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Or you call the players out by name if you know you're saying is true. If the player continues to go against the grain, just release them from their scholarship.
Don't disagree but you and everyone else here knows Cal is NEVER doing this. I laugh because Nate Oats just called out Nick Pringle at Alabama for his attitude and saying his lack of playing time is all a result of "basketball related issues" and nothing off the court. But Cal doing this? Sure. Closest he has come was passive aggressive with Adou.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Those of you who say Hurley would never ever come here are insane. He would most defiantly consider it. He is chasing a legacy just like everyone else. His just happens to be a family legacy. He needs a place like UK to bring it to fruition.

Those of you who say Hurley would never ever come here are insane. He would most defiantly consider it. He is chasing a legacy just like everyone else. His just happens to be a family legacy. He needs a place like UK to bring it to fruition.
I know. He has no ties to UCONN.

Deserve?

Who wants insane invective thrown at them every minute of the day?

Has Hurley been evil and deserves to be flogged in public?
Yep, he throws rocks at babies and old ladies. Then, he loots and burns the Goodwill store. After that, he gets drunk and runs over people on the sidewalk. If you watched the news you would know all these things!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT