ADVERTISEMENT

cal’s timeout near 12 minutes…

hotelblue

All-American
Jul 6, 2006
we were up 47-36 and they scored 6 straight to make it 47-42. both teams traded missed shots and cal actually called timeout to get us back in sink when it was feasible. he almost always does it once it’s too late. auburn crowd was ready to explode and he smartly took timeout when we had the ball and they had missed a shot and things were out of sorts.

from that point we went to the reeves offense and went on a 17-6 scoring run, essentially ending the game. i’m quite critical of cal but give credit where it’s due. that was needed and came at the right time in the right situation. kudos cal, enjoy the all-star game.

we were up 47-36 and they scored 6 straight to make it 47-42. both teams traded missed shots and cal actually called timeout to get us back in sink when it was feasible. he almost always does it once it’s too late. auburn crowd was ready to explode and he smartly took timeout when we had the ball and they had missed a shot and things were out of sorts.

from that point we went to the reeves offense and went on a 17-6 scoring run, essentially ending the game. i’m quite critical of cal but give credit where it’s due. that was needed and came at the right time in the right situation. kudos cal, enjoy the all-star game.

He also called for a fast paste offense and for all the premadonnas to take a seat on the bench.

All In Crypto GIF

Dance Reaction GIF by ProBit Global

Like you said, it was pretty much down to Reeves' brass balls after that. Comes through big in a lot of SEC road games. I had a BAD feeling when the refs started going to their "whistle every time Auburn has possession" bullcrap and the fans got back into it. So glad my/our fears weren't realized.

Agree 100%. Great timeout call and re-set. Flipped the script.

I’ve seen him do very good things like that over the years, especially early on in the tournament. He’s capable of it, he just seems to go stupid now 80% of the time. It makes no sense.

Like you said, it was pretty much down to Reeves' brass balls after that. Comes through big in a lot of SEC road games. I had a BAD feeling when the refs started going to their "whistle every time Auburn has possession" bullcrap and the fans got back into it. So glad my/our fears weren't realized.
I just want a couple games where we get a good whistle. That must feel great.

Good coaching all around - credit where credit is due. Fortunately, he got good games from Edwards and Thiero so the line ups were not as questionable. Wagner played lock down defense and Sheppard focused more on his defense which nullified Auburn’s guard play. How many steals did Ky get? Wow. They were locked in on defense and it showed.

Way to go, Cats!

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Cal’s decision making has cost us this year but I agree, I think he made the right decision in a timely fashion there…we were actually talking about how we thought he would wait until we had already given up the lead before trying to take a timeout when that happened

Absolutely a great timeout and I was praising it in the moment when it happened, because I'm not used to Cal taking that one. It took a little noise out of the building as Auburn had some momentum going and the crowd was just waiting to go nuts. Kudos to Cal for that one, that's coaching like you're doing everything you can to win a basketball game.

Regarding Cal, there is a really good listen on Cutler show last week with Tod Lanter. He talked a lot about coaching and how meticulous Calipari is. Bo Lanter was on too, sharing stories about Joe B.

Cutler is a handful to listen to when he gets amped up, but his show is pretty good.

We probably leaned a little to heavily on reeves down the stretch but he delivered!

Also, it set up Reed’s beautiful pass to thiero when they overplayed the floppy
We kept going to Reeves until they proved they could actually stop it. Not unlike what Gonzaga did to us down low. And like you said it opened up that Thiero basket late.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT