ADVERTISEMENT

Blame Cal all you want….but

This team played sloppy and out of control the ENTIRE game. It’s fine to be critical of Cal to some degree but there were too many easy missed shots…too many ridiculous turnovers…too many ridiculous calls….and no desire to play defense. Simpletons see a loss and blame Cal but refuse to hold players to any level of accountability. It’s sad too think how many UK “fans” turned the television on tonight rooting for the other team just so they could cry about it online. The players on the court tonight played AWFUL. Don’t @me crybabies
And Cal cannot go to his bench and put in a player that will defend and rebound....he can put in another scorer, but not a defender and a rebounder.

None of us has witnessed a Kentucky team with (3) 7 footers that just allows an opposing team to use a layup line to take us down.

Well, Cal’s been doing the same terrible job the last five years, that’s not very original anymore.
So, you're saying you want to be like Cal?

I don’t think a 3 seed is a terrible job. Neither was the 2 seed we had 2 seasons ago. Nor is having a top 10 ranking. You don't get seeded like that if you're terrible.

I get you all have very little to satisfy you in life, so a college basketball team losing a game destroys your sensibilities, but that doesn't mean you have to regurgitate the same tired bs that's been said on here for years. I honestly beleive you guys can be more creative

No real uk fan watches the game in hopes we lose, that’s just stupid and am very much a troll comment. This is another game where we get down early cause the starters aren’t starters then we never could recover, it’s still amazing that he keeps his lottery picks on the bench to start the game since he’s so obsessed with the nba & “changing lives”. We also had several really dumb turnovers then we got absolutely nothing from Edwards, the first half when he missed the layup vs dunking it…….i said “well, he’s back”. If only Reed, Rob, & Antonio are going to score, then we have an early exit coming next couple of wks.

I don’t think a 3 seed is a terrible job. Neither was the 2 seed we had 2 seasons ago. Nor is having a top 10 ranking. You don't get seeded like that if you're terrible.

I get you all have very little to satisfy you in life, so a college basketball team losing a game destroys your sensibilities, but that doesn't mean you have to regurgitate the same tired bs that's been said on here for years. I honestly beleive you guys can be more creative
I honestly believe your next screen name will be more creative than the one you just made up a few days ago!!!!!!!!

I honestly believe your next screen name will be more creative than the one you just made up a few days ago!!!!!!!!
Is that really the best you could come up with?

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

I still blame Cal. He's in charge of the team. He makes the decisions. He preps for opponents (or doesn't), he coaches and motivates the players, he developed the offense and defense, he's supposed to react and adapt to what's going on the court, etc. etc. etc. If a player isn't playing well, it's on Cal to fix that, by taking him out and correcting it.

We are so poorly coached it’s amazing
From not starting the best five
Not going zone to cut off drives
No rotations on defense
No blocking out - no charges taken
He’s a astonishing bad bench
coach and roster builder
21’ of suck in the middle
Would be much better with Chuck Hayes Terrence Jones type player than getting the tallest softest unathletic player but yet we get 3 of them
Spot on.

We did play sloppy because for the first time our young guys felt the pressure to bring us back after cal let the starters dug a hole.

Cal even called a to to stem the run but wouldn't sub to let his guys play through it. It's beyond inexcusable. It's him intentionally sticking it to the fans trying to win doing something he knows everyone hates.

Reactions: Blisterpac
This team played sloppy and out of control the ENTIRE game. It’s fine to be critical of Cal to some degree but there were too many easy missed shots…too many ridiculous turnovers…too many ridiculous calls….and no desire to play defense. Simpletons see a loss and blame Cal but refuse to hold players to any level of accountability. It’s sad too think how many UK “fans” turned the television on tonight rooting for the other team just so they could cry about it online. The players on the court tonight played AWFUL. Don’t @me crybabies
Hey is this Cal or his daughter???? Sorry this team had one glaring fault, all season, and Cal had all season to fix that problem, he could have worked on a zone more, he could have worked a man to man principles, I mean I roughly charted the games I had recorded, and UK got beat on the baseline(one of the easiest to defend) 21.4 times a game. That is basic defense. We played Buzz, he is not dumb he took advantage of the Cat's weaknesses and out coached our coach. We played this team and got the same results both times, that tells me Cal made no adjustments from the last game. Same ole Cal role the ball out, he is no better that most of these AAU coaches.

HE'S LOST 9 GAMES SO FAR THIS YEAR!!! My life is wonderful, the only thing bringing any angst to it at all is that Cal clearly does not care about winning anymore. BTW, there's no guarantee it's a 3 seed after losing in your first conference tourney game, they could very easily be a 4 seed now. Cal has not been good the past 4-5 years. You can keep convincing yourself he has been while enjoying early round tournament losses. I don't give two shits about draft night, he's paid handsomely to win at a very high level for UK and seems to have forgotten that's what the pay checks are for. Of course, it doesn't help that he has no accountability at all. The only way I'd want to be like Cal is at the bank. Maybe you Cal nut-huggers could actually have some expectations for the once proud program instead of just accepting the mediocrity it's been slid squarely into.

Is this what you expect from UK's coach?

Tell me you know nothing about basketball without actually telling me you know nothing about basketball

Reactions: Samurai Cat
"Nearly EVERY loss we've had this season has come down to our team giving up offensive rebounds, not getting 50/50 balls, making DUMB mistakes and our BEST shooters not getting enough attempts!!"

So giving up offensive rebounds (in game, in the moment play), not playing hard enough to get the 50/50 balls (that is in game and effort, you can't coach a player to run after a ball, he has to want to), making dumb mistakes (once again, you can coach, but if the player ends up making dumb mistakes IN GAME, can't stop that), are all examples of players needing to be focused (dumb mistakes), and have the heart to give their best effort (rebounding and 50/50 balls), and no matter how much you coach them they in the end are the ones who have to do it. They did not give their best effort, half assed most of the night, and flat out did not try to play defense. the WHOLE team, so benching people would not have helped, the players coming in played just as bad. Last night was a total TEAM effort loss.

Reactions: Jazzycat
Rotations, scheme, adjustments, etc… matter. Including last night, Cal has consistently put the wrong lineups on the floor. Could go on forever about how poorly he has managed the roster, rotations, and situations this year. If you are convinced otherwise, you know nothing about basketball and should stop watching.

Reactions: Jazzycat
The refs took him out of the game honestly. Crooks.
The refs were crooks. Cal took him out of the game.

Sitting a player with 2 fouls in the first half or 3 fouls in the second half is the same as him fouling out.
But, it is the coach who has him on the bench.
Play your best players and MAKE the officials foul out your star players.

Reactions: 1war and Fox2monk
The refs were crooks. Cal took him out of the game.

Sitting a player with 2 fouls in the first half or 3 fouls in the second half is the same as him fouling out.
But, it is the coach who has him on the bench.
Play your best players and MAKE the officials foul out your star players.
He still did honestly, reeves had fouled out 4 times in his career and 3 of them from this one ref? That seems off to me.

Reactions: ruppcat
Hey is this Cal or his daughter???? Sorry this team had one glaring fault, all season, and Cal had all season to fix that problem, he could have worked on a zone more, he could have worked a man to man principles, I mean I roughly charted the games I had recorded, and UK got beat on the baseline(one of the easiest to defend) 21.4 times a game. That is basic defense. We played Buzz, he is not dumb he took advantage of the Cat's weaknesses and out coached our coach. We played this team and got the same results both times, that tells me Cal made no adjustments from the last game. Same ole Cal role the ball out, he is no better that most of these AAU coaches.
You are right about where the fault lies. I've learned the painful lesson not to get too excited about our UK teams after Cal choking with dominant teams, particularly in 2010, 2015. After watching these kids this summer, I was so impressed with the dearth of talent on this team that I said, "The elephant in the room here is John Calipari. That has proved to be correct.
As for who wrote this trope that got us all stirred up once more, I've got it down to Cal, his daughter, or "earned not given".

Last edited:
Mitchell played more mins than Reeves and Thiero. Reeves is the 2nd best scorer in the SEC and played less than 50% of the game.

Yeah definitely not the coaches fault.

He was in foul trouble. The refs effectively took him out of the game. Hard to blame Cal for that.

There's a reason the team played sloppy: A&M's players physically intimidated them. Why A&M could focus for only a few games in the season is a mystery. There was a lot there had they put their minds to it.

Duh, and why would the $10 million head coach have no responsibility for team development, motivation, reparation and performance...what do you think his role in this process is?

It was not just uninspired basketball, we played like we were in high school again.

The amount of missed layups, even though they may have been contested, was numerous.

Texas A&M was like that UNC-Wilmington team.

Thanks, Erin
I will not bash players but I will say that during the second half, we had a couple of key players simply disappear. They would surface occasionally to make a turn over but for the most part were a liability. Reeves stayed in foul trouble so it wasn't him. Cal made the mistake of trusting and playing certain players too much during the second half.

Early exits last 5 years all with mostly different players. How long before some people realize it just might be the system or coaching style.

Reactions: cathouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT