ADVERTISEMENT

Cal’s Instagram post

He'll leave soon and we'll be Indiana for a decade. SOME of our fans are just awful.
Maybe you are one of the few who doesn't realize we are already headed in the direction of Indiana with Cal. We were UK before Cal and we will continue being UK after Cal. Get a clue; Cal came here because we are UK and when he leaves, others will come too.

I understand the frustration. We didn’t get to play the tourney last season. We, as a fan base, were unable to finish the season. We had to live in a constant state of unease, wondering if we will even have a season for 2020-2021. We placed unrealistic expectations on highly ranked recruits. All we had was to scrutinize our new player over the next few months. YouTube vids of highschool games and aau games. We went from being ranked tenth to 1-5. Disappointing indeed. Speaking for myself, I don’t even know 100% if there will even a full season,
The kids were expecting the Kentucky experience; kings of campus, teams quivering coming into RUPP with 11k fans screaming, cheering them on. Even in other arenas UK fans amass. These players were expecting to see the parents in the stands. Girlfriends or even hotties as they cheer when their name is called for scoring or assist etc. Bonding with teammates over Xbox or at a Sorority Party. Having students fawn over them. What they got was person to a room. Online classes. Gym. Practice. empty arenas. No exhibitions. Just Wildcat Lodge which no outsiders allowed and strictly enforced. They are missing out on the socialization and what makes UK Campus special. They are only around each other and coaching staff. They have to be frustrated, so they take it out on each other or staff. It’s gotta suck. I’d feel cheated. I’d be angry, I wouldn’t be in the mental state needed. They are young and don’t have mental fortitude to deal.
Ultimately, this is when the teams need us fans. All the negativity and calls for firings, critical ‘analysis’ isn’t helping. Fair weather fandom is rampant on this board. Funny how when the team needs positivity and it’s fans, the loudest voices are the ones shitting on them.
So,I,a fan of UK Wildcats Men’s Basketball, will continue to root for success, I will remain a “sunshine pumper”, I will continue to remain positive and not write off this team despite a 1-5 start. I will believe that we will win and the players will break thru and continue to progress as a team, grow into men and hone their basketball skills. I am a UK Fan. I know others are out there as well. Negativity breeds negativity. If you are living vicariously through 18 to 21 year olds, you may want to learn to live happy in reality.

Kentucky was most definitely NOT looking like Kentucky before John Calipari.

We were a NIT 1st round loser and a previous to that NCAAT 1st round loser. We were a 59% winning percentage team over 2 seasons program. Others will come here, right. One of those others was Billy Gillispie and he's responsible for that 59% winning percentage. Over 2 years before that Kentucky was a 84-52 (64%) winning team with 2 round of 32 losses. That's 4 years and a combined record of 84-52(61.8). None of those 4 years were "Kentucky being Kentucky". BCG being the guy after Billy Donovan turned us down tells you all you need to know about "others will come too". UK was soooooooooooooooooooo lucky John Calipari came here. Who knows what other brilliant hiring choice would have been made if it weren't for John Calipari taking this job. If he didn't bring in the players he had anyone think UK makes the NCAAT and has a shot at a Final Four that first year of Calipari's tenure. You're lying if you say yes.

UK was most definitely not looking like UK before John Calipari. That doesn't excuse the 1-5 start. That is not Kentucky being Kentucky either.

Last edited:
One thing that is not debatable is that we will be one of the worst teams in the conference for a few years whenever he leaves simply because of his one of a kind recruiting philosophy. Whenever and whoever the next coach is will have absolutely nothing to work with when they get here.
We may not be Indiana but we will be down for 4-5 years should Cal leave.
1. Texas Tech used grad transfers to make a title game .. remember that?

2. new transfer rule.. even if cal leaves and every player.... new coach can poach starters from other good teams if need be, and get grad transfers on top of it.... no excuse to not be good with the transfer rules. i mean hell if we had 5 players with the heart and ability to score like Mintz, we'd be 5-1 at least....

Name one that will come in and win 35 games in year one, 29 in year two and 38 in year three with an E8, F4 and NATI in those three first years along with three SEC titles. They grow on trees, right? Smfh
its not about what cal did before. Its about who will be better the next 5 years. We dont have antigua or payne, cal cant accomplish what he did again. and you're mentally not well off if you think he can do that again without changing . (and he's said on monday he's not changing)

But Mark Few.... Frank Vogul, Billy Donovan, Bruce Pearl... ... anyone Nike will want and help like they did cal the first several years... Nike made K.... they sure as hell can make someone at UK too .. they could hit the ground running here.. might not do what cal accomplished the first 5 years but cal cant do that again anyways

Tournament championships are great for schools that rarely get one or rarely get anywhere in the big boy tournament. They are small time for the top programs. It’s why we make fun of Kansas for winning the mighty Big 12 all the time and treating it like it matters.
Every game counts when you are the king.

I don't really consider Villanova to be a blue blood.
Duke winning in 15 would is pretty much equal to if we won in 15. I feel like this has changed post 15 tho.
And I'm not sure KU was the best team at all last year. I'm not entirely sure they were even the best team in the Big 12 last season. They were one of the best no doubt tho. 2020 you again had teams like Baylor and Gonzaga with projected 1 seeds.

I just think the direction of college basketball is heading for a massive change. If you don't get generational talent because they are all jumping right to the league, than the talent level gap between the bluebloods and the ones fighting for 3 and 4 star guys is closing.

I doubt we see many repeat champions anymore. I think the sport is about to get more competitive and more balanced IMO.
I've been saying it for two years, the game is changing, but Cal is still going to be a damn jackhammer.
It looks to me like the game is going back to the way it was before one and done. Juniors and seniors are taking back over. (Actually, they never lost control)
Remember the Fab 5 from the early 90's? Yeah, those guys were great, but they didn't win anything. Had serious talent, but they lost a lot of games because juniors and seniors are just better at this level.
In the NBA, guys like Boston can hide behind the stars. The stars carry the weight, well, that isn't how the college game is played. Boston has to carry much more weight and he can't.
The days of winning with freshmen and sophomores was short and sweet, but now it's time for Cal to pull his head out of his ass and stop this garbage he's trying to pull off.
He needs to change his mindset and change the culture now, or this is going to be a long downhill slide.

You may be right about some but not me. I’m not really a “Calipari fan” but I recognize the shit hole we were in before he arrived. That includes the shit hole Smith pulled us down for several years. Talk about mediocrity......I digress.

What I’m hearing is let’s go recruit the one or two marginal 3 stars Kentucky produces annually and then find 10 or 11 other 3 star marginal players around the country, try to coach them up over 4 years with the hope that we might....might get a shot at making it past the sweet 16 every 5-6 years. Honestly, as a fan, I’m not interested in watching a bunch of players that should be playing at WKU or Alabama or Ole Miss develop over 4 years and POSSIBLY give us some excitement in the tournament 1 out of 4 years.

Every coach on the planet knows you go after the best possible talent and athletes you can find to give you the best opportunity to win year in year out, not some feel good story about a Kentucky kid who outshined all others in high school because the others won’t be getting any D1 offers, much less high D1.

Name one team that has won a natty with a team full of freshmen. Duke came close in 2015, but they still had upper class men.

Do you NOT see any correlation to the last 5 years of Tubby and Cal’s last 5 years?

Reactions: seccats04
Ridiculous take. Is Cal ever going to repeat that?

You missed the point, as always. The henchman here say we can get just anybody to come in and hit the ground running. That’s laughable and no strong coach will want to step into this cess pool of fans if Cal is run out of town, which is what would happen if he leaves soon.

Last edited:
Did you realize Tubby lost 40 games his last 5 years and Cal has lost 39 games in his past 5 years? I suspect after this season when you compare last 5 years Cal’s will be significantly worse than Tubby’s.
Nothing to see here. You'll just be labeled a hater.

And keep in mind the SEC is much worse now than it was when Tubby was here.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
The difference is at the start of every Smith season we knew we had no chance. With Calipari the last 5 years, there has always been a buzz preseason, middle season and tournament time.
A buzz was all it turned to be. Young teams fold when the bright lights are on. K State beat us missing their star player. Auburn beat us missing their star player.

If sweet 16s and elite 8’s are you thing, Tubby and Cal are on equal footing. Yet you wanted Tubby gone but think that without Cal UK will fall into Indiana status.

Pay a guy 8-10 million bucks a year and he certainly won't give a shit what the fans do or say (which is what we're seeing now)
10 million dollars is 10 million dollars and if you come in here and win, well, the bbn will see to it that you walk on water in Lexington.
UK isn't the only program that has fans with expectations. Any program that has had success, has fans that have expectations and they get pissed when their team fails.
Some of you don't get out much.

Reactions: KFuqua
Kentucky was most definitely NOT looking like Kentucky before John Calipari.

We were a NIT 1st round loser and a previous to that NCAAT 1st round loser. We were a 59% winning percentage team over 2 seasons program. Others will come here, right. One of those others was Billy Gillispie and he's responsible for that 59% winning percentage. Over 2 years before that Kentucky was a 84-52 (64%) winning team with 2 round of 32 losses. That's 4 years and a combined record of 84-52(61.8). None of those 4 years were "Kentucky being Kentucky". BCG being the guy after Billy Donovan tells you all you need to know about "others will come too". UK was soooooooooooooooooooo lucky John Calipari came here. Who knows what other brilliant hiring choice would have been made if it weren't for John Calipari taking this job. If he didn't bring in the players he had anyone think UK makes the NCAAT and has a shot at a Final Four that first year of Calipari's tenure. You're lying if you say yes.

UK was most definitely not looking like UK before John Calipari. That doesn't excuse the 1-5 start. That is not Kentucky being Kentucky either.
Tubby never went to the NIT.

Surely you aren’t comparing Smith to Calipari.......Smith left Kentucky and struggled to stay above .500 at every new stop and lower at some including his latest stop, High Point. That’s were they send the great ones to finish their careers.....High Point.

Some fans want to slam Calipari and pretend Smith was better. It’s absurd. If they are honest, they would choose Calipari every single season as their coach if given the opportunity to choose between Smith and Calipari. No responses needed on this one....we all know the truth.
I gave you data of Tubby’s last 5 years vs Cal’s last 5 years. You gave your opinion. See the difference?

It's the right way to win titles when you get transcendant players, those guys are extremely rare now. All he's getting are project AAU kids. That ain't gonna work.
Even the Zion teams with the best coach aren't winning titles. Freshmen panic in a single elimination game tournament. Even Duke's 2015 team had several good upperclassmen, kinda like our 2012 title.

I think he cares. He’s just not going to take advice from fans, most of which can’t control their own emotions and throw tantrums after nearly every game, win or lose. Bottom-line he’s in the driver’s seat. Fans can only bitch, whine and complain - and sit back and watch.
Many are not watching. I know many die hard fans are just not interested anymore. The game we grew up loving is dead and not coming back, at least not under Cal. I'm about at my breaking point and have been for several seasons. It's just not fun anymore. It's more frustrating than fun.

Many are not watching. I know many die hard fans are just not interested anymore. The game we grew up loving is dead and not coming back, at least not under Cal. I'm about at my breaking point and have been for several seasons. It's just not fun anymore. It's more frustrating than fun.
Please go ahead and break....I promise we won't miss you.

• Angry
Reactions: KFuqua and awf
Maybe you are one of the few who doesn't realize we are already headed in the direction of Indiana with Cal. We were UK before Cal and we will continue being UK after Cal. Get a clue; Cal came here because we are UK and when he leaves, others will come too.

We have now lost 5 games in a row.
IU has lost several seasons in a row.

Reactions: awf
He’s slobbering all over the UK players in the NBA. Getting hammered by UK fans for his NBA love affair and current failure at his 10 mil job as the UK coach. I’ve never seen people call him out like this but I hope his arrogant ass gets a clue that the majority of UK fans would like to see him do his job instead of bragging about how his ex players that never delivered UK a championship are now gainfully employed all over the globe. SMDH.
Cal fail in the NBA so this is like him living his dream thru these players. I guess.

It's not even the losses that are driving people away. Most people realized a long time ago that Cal was putting the NBA draft ahead of UK. That's a huge slap in the face.
It was kind of okay when UK was winning, but these last 5 years have been more of a struggle than anything. It just seems like everyone is frantically trying to force a square peg into a round hole. Sometimes it works well enough for them to make it to the doorstep, but then they run into programs that are doing things the right way and we get bounced.

its not about what cal did before. Its about who will be better the next 5 years. We dont have antigua or payne, cal cant accomplish what he did again. and you're mentally not well off if you think he can do that again without changing . (and he's said on monday he's not changing)

But Mark Few.... Frank Vogul, Billy Donovan, Bruce Pearl... ... anyone Nike will want and help like they did cal the first several years... Nike made K.... they sure as hell can make someone at UK too .. they could hit the ground running here.. might not do what cal accomplished the first 5 years but cal cant do that again anyways
You touched on something that is always overlooked: Nike. When did things start to sour for Cal? When he complained about Krychefski and his unfair advantages. Boeheim outed him and Nike cut him off. No more WWW help, no nothing.

Cal still gets recruits, and some decent ones. But he'll never again get a John Wall or Anthony Davis. And it's not just the G League.

Hall had arguably the most difficult job in College Basketball at the time. Following Rupp was no easy task and every move he made was magnified to the utmost. He built a great program his own way. He made a Final Four the year before retirement and did an amazing job with his 1985 team, which was his last. Unless Cal makes some hard changes, which he won't, he'll never get close to another FF while he's here.
Joe Hall did an incredible job but was under appreciated. In Rupps last years and Halls early years only regular season SEC champs made the NCAA tournament. UCLA was cheating like the devil or Hall would have won and was robbed of a title in 75. In 77 If there had been a shot clock we would have won another title. Dean Smith held the ball the entire 2nd half in the Elite 8 final. Marquette certainly wasn’t going to beat that team, in fact the 77 and 78 teams may have been UK’s greatest.

I’ve said this 50 times on here.....I will never understand the comments about calling yelling and screaming being a negative. I’ve yet to see, meet or be coached by a great coach who doesn’t yell and scream all the time. I suppose this is more evidence of our soft culture. Whisper coach......whisper.
He probably screams and yells because it is something he has done told them a zillion times...........that and it is just how he coaches........

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
3 pages of whining over this:

You all are a wee bit sensitive.
I just read Cal's words here in your post.......some of these F'king sissies on here got upset with that.......My old man would have these snowflakes crying so much they would have been dehydrated most of their life........today's culture is to find something that insults you.......any damn thing evidently..........we have raised a society of pansies......

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
Hall had 3 NCAA final 4s with a title, runners-up and an NIT title when that was more than it is now

8 SEC titles in 13 years (2nd most ever)
You are not going back far enough for a NIT banner meaning that much.......it wasn't in Joe Hall's tenure......

Joe Hall did an incredible job but was under appreciated. In Rupps last years and Halls early years only regular season SEC champs made the NCAA tournament. UCLA was cheating like the devil or Hall would have won and was robbed of a title in 75. In 77 If there had been a shot clock we would have won another title. Dean Smith held the ball the entire 2nd half in the Elite 8 final. Marquette certainly wasn’t going to beat that team, in fact the 77 and 78 teams may have been UK’s greatest.
Hall could have had three titles in the '70's as the 1975, 1977 and 1978 teams were all good enough to win the National Title. However, there was no way that UK was going to beat Wooden in his last game and just about everyone knew it. In the 1977 game against UNC they got out to an early 15 point lead then went into their stall. That game was sickening to watch and I still think about the lost opportunity to this day.

I just read Cal's words here in your post.......some of these F'king sissies on here got upset with that.......My old man would have these snowflakes crying so much they would have been dehydrated most of their life........today's culture is to find something that insults you.......any damn thing evidently..........we have raised a society of pansies......
When I was playing organized sports I didn't know of any coach that didn't yell and scream at players. You just have to block it out or don't play. Physical abuse is a different story and most of the time I saw that during football practice in HS.

It's not about the post Awf. It's about Cal's obsession with the NBA, draft picks, contracts and how he prioritizes the NBA. It is his NBA draft boner that is the reason we sit at 1-5 right now and will never sniff another title until he puts the boner away.

I’m hurt. But hey, if you enjoy watching shitty basketball every year until March, get your hopes up and then get bounced by a Bruce Weber or Tom Crean, more power to you. But I know we are UK and are better than this.

Well your claims are not true as the last 2 years we have been playing as good as any team in College ball. 2 years ago we killed 2 top 10 teams and throttled the #1 team in the nation in Tennessee. If not for untimely injuries to both Reid Travis and Washington we probably win the title. Last year we killed the SEC and entered the SEC tournament with a 5 loss team that was rolling opponents and the season got canceled. Matter a fact 3 out of the last 4 years we was one of the 4-6 teams that had legitimate shot at winning the title. Yes this year is bad but in case you haven't notices it's not been a normal year for anything.

Reactions: Ron Mehico and awf
Well your claims are not true as the last 2 years we have been playing as good as any team in College ball. 2 years ago we killed 2 top 10 teams and throttled the #1 team in the nation in Tennessee. If not for untimely injuries to both Reid Travis and Washington we probably win the title. Last year we killed the SEC and entered the SEC tournament with a 5 loss team that was rolling opponents and the season got canceled. Matter a fact 3 out of the last 4 years we was one of the 4-6 teams that had legitimate shot at winning the title. Yes this year is bad but in case you haven't notices it's not been a normal year for anything.
What are you even talking about?Travis and Washington both played in our loss.

Honestly.........no.

But I worry because I'm of the mindset that regardless of whatever system Cal chooses, the playing field is getting more and more level and thus it's going to be even harder to win titles in the future.

I mean the two best teams in basketball right now are Gonzaga and Baylor lol. Where are the other bluebloods at?

I really hate to say that when this is all over we might look back on 10 and 15 and be like damn.........those were the shots are multiple titles.

But it is what it is and I'm going to root for this team regardless of what system or coach we got

This is true and it isn't just recently. In the last 20 years, only 5 teams have won multiple titles, UNC, Duke, Florida, Uconn and Villinova. In the last 30 years, only 2 teams have gone back to back, Duke in the early 90s, and Florida 14 years ago. It is mainly because the best players on the best teams are either graduating, or leaving early for the NBA, making it hard to even keep a core of guys together for a run. Regardless of the system or coach, there are hit and miss seasons and unexpected departures, making it hard to maintain a top notch program year in and year out.

You may be right about some but not me. I’m not really a “Calipari fan” but I recognize the shit hole we were in before he arrived. That includes the shit hole Smith pulled us down for several years. Talk about mediocrity......I digress.

What I’m hearing is let’s go recruit the one or two marginal 3 stars Kentucky produces annually and then find 10 or 11 other 3 star marginal players around the country, try to coach them up over 4 years with the hope that we might....might get a shot at making it past the sweet 16 every 5-6 years. Honestly, as a fan, I’m not interested in watching a bunch of players that should be playing at WKU or Alabama or Ole Miss develop over 4 years and POSSIBLY give us some excitement in the tournament 1 out of 4 years.

Every coach on the planet knows you go after the best possible talent and athletes you can find to give you the best opportunity to win year in year out, not some feel good story about a Kentucky kid who outshined all others in high school because the others won’t be getting any D1 offers, much less high D1.

I don't think fans are upset with the player talent in the program necessarily, they are upset that most of the players are now viewing this as a short layover til draft day, instilling very little connection to the program. Sure the players connect to Cal, but not really the program. Let's see how many of those stars rep UK if Cal is run off.

Talking about Tubby do you realize his last 5 and Cal's last 5 are almost identical?

The comparison isn't nearly as close as you are making it out to be. First, there is a sidenote that Cal only had 4 postseasons included, yet the postseason comprised of half the data you are using. Don't you think it is entirely possible that the team that won the SEC by like 3 games would have won the tournament?? Wouldn't it also be possible that with a tournament win that gets a 2-3 seed in the NCAA tournament?? Which would likely include at least 2-3 wins in said tournament. And even without those extra wins, Cal had already won 9 more games than Tubby, and Tubby's last 2 years were both 8 seeds in the tournament. Regardless, Cal's worst seed would have been a 5, with at least 2 2 seeds, likely 3.

Name one team that has won a natty with a team full of freshmen. Duke came close in 2015, but they still had upper class men.

Do you NOT see any correlation to the last 5 years of Tubby and Cal’s last 5 years?

The correlation isn't as close as many are making it out to be. And in terms of freshmen, I have said for years that it will never be done, because the only way some of yall will admit it is if there is nothing but freshmen on the team, which highly unlikely to happen even with Cal. 2012 UK and 2015 Duke used a freshmen core to power them to a championship. and 2014 UK started 5 freshmen in the championship game, and had a single sophomore to contribute as a non freshman player. It can be done, but it is hard.

Your last line is at the heart of the problem with the fanbase. The fanbase is just tired of watching terrible basketball, that isn't very exciting for 3 months waiting on players to figure it out, turning it into just a couple of weeks of enjoyment every year. Combine that with the less than stellar results and you have an upset fanbase. In fans are being honest, they just want a connection to the program even if that doesn't necessarily include a ton of Kentucky kids, a team that is fun to watch, and a team that wins at a very high level more often than not. Right now, Cal isn't providing any of that.

He probably screams and yells because it is something he has done told them a zillion times...........that and it is just how he coaches........
This is why the screaming doesn't bother me all that much. It might not be that Cal is a lunatic. Could be the guys just don't listen and get in the right habits.

I was all in with the fans posting until I actually saw what Cal posted.

dag...I don't understand getting bent out of shape over that.

people are just mad though. This is why I've been saying the best thing for Cal to do is offer a mea culpa to the fans, admit this isn't the way things are done , he expects more from himself and if what he is doing isn't working, he's going to change it.

that's all it takes to buy some time. Until that happens though, this kind of thing is going to continue.

I wouldn't say we murdered teams in the last 2 years. And last year, though I think the team could have made a run, needing to come back from like 17 points down to a mediocre Florida team doesn't scream dominance, in the last game of the year, with a point guard who didn't play because he became a headcase.

I don’t think Cal can change what he has done here with the draft comes first. Just don’t think there is any going back at this point. If he changes how he does things, it will be used against him in recruiting. Best we can do is buckle up and hope for the best.

What are you even talking about?Travis and Washington both played in our loss.
I was confused by that also.PJ played well in that game.I don't understand what he was talking about.PJ missed the early tourney games but was back to normal in the last game.It was earlier that Travis was hurt and he didn't miss tourney games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT